PDA

View Full Version : Mage Epic Pet in Kael

eisley
07-20-2022, 10:04 AM
So I've noticed Mage Epic proc doesn't land in Kael, ever. 0% hit rate.

So does this mean it's got the ranger Call of Fire effect, aka just being 'bonus aggro' ?

I had a mage epic back in like 2015, and now one of the new models. I've noticed a pretty big uptick in pet aggro, especially on raids. If pet dies it's.. a lot. However, this isn't reflected in the pets damage - focused water or air pet seem to do more damage, with less aggro.

This creates an unusual scenario where you have to micromanage your pet to make sure it doesn't die because you will too.

Why wasn't this behavior reflected when max hit was 81 and it procced much less? Back then, it WAS doing more damage, and aggro transfer was already in, but I don't remember pet death being such a big deal.

Botten
07-20-2022, 11:56 AM

So does this mean it's got the ranger Call of Fire effect, aka just being 'bonus aggro' ?

I had a mage epic back in like 2015, and now one of the new models. I've noticed a pretty big uptick in pet aggro, especially on raids. If pet dies it's.. a lot. However, this isn't reflected in the pets damage - focused water or air pet seem to do more damage, with less aggro.

This creates an unusual scenario where you have to micromanage your pet to make sure it doesn't die because you will too.

Why wasn't this behavior reflected when max hit was 81 and it procced much less? Back then, it WAS doing more damage, and aggro transfer was already in, but I don't remember pet death being such a big deal.

What's a mage?

Freakish
07-20-2022, 12:25 PM
The proc is cold resist. You won't land cold spells on giants.

Allishia
07-20-2022, 01:17 PM
More procs = more agro? :p

Ripqozko
07-20-2022, 03:26 PM
What’s an epic

eisley
07-20-2022, 05:28 PM

It doesn't land on much of anything at 60. The problem seems to be the pet level (49) as much as anything. Likewise, the MR proc (stun) doesn't fare much better considering kael, skyshrine, anything over 55, and most of velious are immune to stun. Mage epic bypassed this, though. That's how it functioned on p99 at first. I believe it, like all stuns that landed on anything 55+, at least interrupted casting.

I believe the pet change was made based on logs. I'd be curious to see what they were fighting and if any procs were landing.

Jibartik
07-20-2022, 06:38 PM
POV when you see an epic mage at the raid:

https://i.imgur.com/z0Zpqy0.gif

Jimjam
07-22-2022, 03:02 AM
It doesn't land on much of anything at 60. The problem seems to be the pet level (49) as much as anything. Likewise, the MR proc (stun) doesn't fare much better considering kael, skyshrine, anything over 55, and most of velious are immune to stun. Mage epic bypassed this, though. That's how it functioned on p99 at first. I believe it, like all stuns that landed on anything 55+, at least interrupted casting.

I believe the pet change was made based on logs. I'd be curious to see what they were fighting and if any procs were landing.

Aren't all giant types immune to stun? Perhaps this immunity is (erroneously?) blocking the whole spell?

Solist
07-22-2022, 06:22 AM

Ripqozko
07-22-2022, 01:40 PM

Balimon
07-22-2022, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking here, I've never had aggro from my pet dieing in kael, although I'm sure it's possible. Are you turning pet taunt off? That's definitely the biggest source of threat your pet will add to you. The only situation I've noticed an issue with the epic pet is in ToV it will pull aggro off the tanks on glimmer drake's, which is bizzare, but if the pet dies I don't get aggro, the drake goes back to the tank.

Vivitron
07-22-2022, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking here, I've never had aggro from my pet dieing in kael, although I'm sure it's possible. Are you turning pet taunt off? That's definitely the biggest source of threat your pet will add to you. The only situation I've noticed an issue with the epic pet is in ToV it will pull aggro off the tanks on glimmer drake's, which is bizzare, but if the pet dies I don't get aggro, the drake goes back to the tank.

When Pet aggro > A Ranged Player Aggro > Tank Aggro and there are at least 3 things in melee range, sometimes a mob will skip the tank and hit something else in melee range. AFAIK this may be the only way to get a pet to tank when players are meleeing.

Perhaps your pet takes a hit when sieving enchanters out-aggro the tank.

Balimon
07-26-2022, 06:10 AM
When Pet aggro > A Ranged Player Aggro > Tank Aggro and there are at least 3 things in melee range, sometimes a mob will skip the tank and hit something else in melee range. AFAIK this may be the only way to get a pet to tank when players are meleeing.

Perhaps your pet takes a hit when sieving enchanters out-aggro the tank.

It's more than one hit, it tanks till I kill it or it dies. I don't send the pet in anymore on the glimmers/shimmers

Toxigen
07-26-2022, 08:00 AM
the bigger question: why is this mage not permanently parked in a coth spot?

Balimon
07-26-2022, 07:59 PM
nice troll, your mage hate is known

eisley
07-26-2022, 10:49 PM
nice troll, your mage hate is known

I quite like mages :[

Zuranthium
07-27-2022, 02:18 AM
The only situation I've noticed an issue with the epic pet is in ToV it will pull aggro off the tanks on glimmer drake's, which is bizzare, but if the pet dies I don't get aggro, the drake goes back to the tank.

Seems like tons of stuff wrong with pet aggro on p99 right now:

1.) During classic a pet would never maintain aggro on an unrooted NPC if a player was in melee range.

2.) Root could be used to make the pet tank, if you pulled the mob on top of the pet (otherwise the pet would always be sitting at max attack range, and thus with the root mechanic of always using proximity, the aggro would always be on a player in melee range instead).

3.) A pet when dying would not transfer the aggro of the damage they did onto the caster.

Jimjam
07-27-2022, 03:08 AM
The biggest annoyance atm for pets is how a mob will sometimes beeline at the master when the pet and a melee are in range but stay in combat with the pet if the melee moves out of range.

Balimon
07-28-2022, 06:42 AM
I quite like mages :[

Was responding to Toxigen. See my other posts

Obrae
07-29-2022, 09:04 PM
is it possible its because it is too high and it dont register on chat ?

Vivitron
07-29-2022, 09:29 PM
The biggest annoyance atm for pets is how a mob will sometimes beeline at the master when the pet and a melee are in range but stay in combat with the pet if the melee moves out of range.

This is part of the same bug I mentioned above. If you put more things in melee range, the mob will skip the tank and hit one of the other things in melee range instead of chasing. Can look like a melee pulled aggro but really you just slowed too early. I'm not sure how it decides which target to skip to; I've seen it hit other melees or pets.

Jimjam
07-30-2022, 02:28 AM
This is part of the same bug I mentioned above. If you put more things in melee range, the mob will skip the tank and hit one of the other things in melee range instead of chasing. Can look like a melee pulled aggro but really you just slowed too early. I'm not sure how it decides which target to skip to; I've seen it hit other melees or pets.

I’ve seen it happen when duoing with mages. Mage over nukes. Mob will chase mage while mob and player is in range but not while just mob is in range. I don’t remember ever seeing this on live … nor earlier iterations of p1999.

eisley
07-30-2022, 07:31 AM
The pet aggro changes definitely seem wonky in ways I struggle to accurately describe.

Allishia
08-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Most pet agro issues are fixed by turning taunt off, far as grouping / raids go. If my pet is tanking and shaman slows it with taunt on it won't go anywhere unless a melee with no agro hits the mob, then it chases the shaman.

With taunt off, when the shaman slows, it will just go after him right away lol...