PDA

View Full Version : 2 accounts question

hermitmac
05-19-2022, 09:30 AM
I know 2 boxing isn't allowed, nor having more than one account (I think?) - so, I have a question...

I played p99 about 6 years ago and long forgotten what the password or even the name on it was... so I created a new account and got to lvl4 on a new char; friend of mine showed me where to recover old account, so I did (yey!)... now, I want to play my old one, but will I get in trouble for having 2 accounts on the same IP? I don't intend to log in on the new one since I recovered the other one.

Sizar
05-19-2022, 12:22 PM
I know people who have 10+ accounts. You are fine, just don't box

cd288
05-19-2022, 12:36 PM
I know people who have 10+ accounts. You are fine, just don't box

What’s the reason for that with the exception of certain guild bots for a big raiding guild for instance? Seems odd

Sizar
05-19-2022, 01:43 PM
What’s the reason for that with the exception of certain guild bots for a big raiding guild for instance? Seems odd

So you can have your own 2nd + character help you out if needed if you have a friend you are willing to give account info to. Most commonly someone would have a cleric on another account so they can rez whichever other toon of yours needs one. Cannot do that if all your characters are on the same account.

cd288
05-19-2022, 01:45 PM
Yeah I mean it's pretty obvious that some of those people are using it for boxing. It's like a guy dies in the group and he's like "oh yeah my 'brother' is gonna log on my cleric alt and come rez me right now"

Like, sure he is dude lol

Sizar
05-19-2022, 01:51 PM
Yeah I mean it's pretty obvious that some of those people are using it for boxing. It's like a guy dies in the group and he's like "oh yeah my 'brother' is gonna log on my cleric alt and come rez me right now"

Like, sure he is dude lol

Absolutely. But watch a streamer like Sugz4. He has 1 character per account, with the exception of mules or traders. There is no reason not to have 10 accounts for your 10 played characters. A few years ago when crashing when camping was more common it was actually much faster to login a character on a different account than on the same one because of the crashes and the "you still have an active character in game" message you'd have to wait out.

But if you have a cleric who can rez and you have a friend you can trust, NEVER have that cleric on the same account as any other character you actually play and level.

cd288
05-19-2022, 02:01 PM
Yeah just saying I think 90%+ of the time it's someone boxing (not always perpetually, sometimes they're just boxing to rez themselves, port themselves, etc.).

So few people play P99 that it's pretty unlikely the vast majority of those people somehow conveniently have another player they know freely available to log on their other char when needed

Sizar
05-19-2022, 02:14 PM
So few people play P99 that it's pretty unlikely the vast majority of those people somehow conveniently have another player they know freely available to log on their other char when needed

I think your are off on that. I'd say the vast majority of us have friends or guildies they trust who would absolutely login their buddy's character to help them out

Danth
05-19-2022, 02:23 PM
There is no reason not to have 10 accounts for your 10 played characters.

I've got one: I don't feel like waiting months for a new IP exception if I want to make a new alt.

Allishia
05-19-2022, 02:37 PM
Yeah just saying I think 90%+ of the time it's someone boxing (not always perpetually, sometimes they're just boxing to rez themselves, port themselves, etc.).

Never had any issue asking a guildy to hop in my toon for quest or rez etc, join a guild and make friends /nod. Easy to just change pw to something temp then change it back /nod

khandman
06-05-2022, 05:26 AM
You can be logged onto Blue Red and Green at the same time if you so wanted. Just be careful to log out properly so it doesn't leave a stuck character on a server when your trying to switch characters to that server from one of the other accounts.

Kawhi
06-09-2022, 11:30 PM
You only need an IP exemption if you want to have two accounts logged in at the same time.

One char per account also saves rez timers. If I die on one char, I can play on a different char on a different account and save the timer.

90% boxing is nonsense. It’s clearly the better plan to have 1 char per account on p99.

Jibartik
06-09-2022, 11:44 PM
2 accounts 1 question.

Toxigen
06-10-2022, 09:29 AM
There is never a reason to have more than 1 character on any account.

DMN
06-10-2022, 01:15 PM

sure there is. faster switching between chars. useful for drop trades or "helping out" one of your other characters.

Toxigen
06-10-2022, 01:16 PM
sure there is. faster switching between chars. useful for drop trades or "helping out" one of your other characters.

yeah. no.

DMN
06-10-2022, 01:21 PM
well, you are half right.

Arvan
06-10-2022, 01:41 PM

3k posts but no friends to help him xfer :(

Danth
06-10-2022, 01:41 PM

Already provided one weeks ago in this very thread: I don't want to wait weeks or months every time I want to make a character.

Danth

Toxigen
06-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Already provided one weeks ago in this very thread: I don't want to wait weeks or months every time I want to make a character.

Danth

You don't need an IP exemption to create a new account. You need one to log into 2 accounts at the same time on the same IP.

You can create a new account and be logged into a fresh level 1 in less than 5 minutes.

There is ZERO reason not to have 1 character per account...only upside potential no downside whatsoever.

Danth
06-10-2022, 02:08 PM
I require an IP exception for a character to have any value to me because EQ is and always has been a shared hobby between the wife and I (with our daughter logging on once in awhile now, too). I do other stuff for the most part when I'm on my own. I'm not overly interested in this game as a solo exercise. So while you're technically correct in that I could create an endless steam of useless characters--why would I want to?

Won't argue the above is something of an exception to the usual trend, but it's a valid enough one for specific cases.

Danth

DMN
06-10-2022, 02:15 PM
3k posts but no friends to help him xfer :(

Don't cry for me Arvantina, I'm just correcting some false information.

Chortles Snortles
06-10-2022, 02:51 PM
my, uh, brother posted this forum comment WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE
(lol)

Atmas
06-10-2022, 03:49 PM
You don't need an IP exemption to create a new account. You need one to log into 2 accounts at the same time on the same IP.

You can create a new account and be logged into a fresh level 1 in less than 5 minutes.

There is ZERO reason not to have 1 character per account...only upside potential no downside whatsoever.

Not entirely true, switching between two characters on the same account is faster. That being said, most of my characters are on separate accounts.

Pint
06-10-2022, 04:51 PM

Danth

That's not how it works Danth. I have too many accounts to keep track of and 0 ip exemptions.

Danth
06-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Dunno what you're getting at. Are you gaming with family? If you're solo then that particular case would be moot as discussed above. For example, if the wife and I want to make some new alts to goof off someplace like blackburrow, we use our existing accounts because otherwise we'd have to wait weeks or months. While I could hypothetically create a character on a fresh account to use solely alone, what would I do that for? I only provided a perfectly reasonable exception to the use of multiple accounts, made no claim of it being relevant to everyone's specific needs.

Pint
06-10-2022, 09:58 PM
You don't see how you're giving op bad information? He clearly can just create all the accts he wants and should. Your situation doesn't apply to him. I'd also point out that you've been around a long time and by now you should have created and exempted all the accts you needed as a convenience.

cd288
06-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Dunno what you're getting at. Are you gaming with family? If you're solo then that particular case would be moot as discussed above. For example, if the wife and I want to make some new alts to goof off someplace like blackburrow, we use our existing accounts because otherwise we'd have to wait weeks or months. While I could hypothetically create a character on a fresh account to use solely alone, what would I do that for? I only provided a perfectly reasonable exception to the use of multiple accounts, made no claim of it being relevant to everyone's specific needs.

Couldn’t you submit the ip exemption request and just use vpn in the meantime or is that not legal

Danth
06-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Couldn’t you submit the ip exemption request and just use vpn in the meantime or is that not legal

Probably could but I don't care enough to bother. I've heard of others using that workaround. Pint is correct in that the specific circumstances described do not apply to everyone. A note about lining up spare accounts in advance: When I started here the staff specifically requested people NOT to do that and only petition for exceptions when genuinely needed, and I've no problem with sticking by a reasonable request. Staff has had a great deal of turnover since then so I couldn't tell you what their present opinion on the matter is.

strongNpretty
06-15-2022, 03:53 PM

Negative... Most normal humans have 0 reason to create 8 different accounts just to play 8 different characters.. Im gonna say that your deep investment in P99 to find strategy in creating 8 accounts. Is the minority around here..

I hate having 2 personal email accounts.. I definitely don't want 8 fucking accounts of single characters... "Who should i play today? Rogue? Let me look up that login information in my P99 account spreadsheet."

Toxigen
06-15-2022, 04:17 PM
I require an IP exception for a character to have any value to me because EQ is and always has been a shared hobby between the wife and I (with our daughter logging on once in awhile now, too). I do other stuff for the most part when I'm on my own. I'm not overly interested in this game as a solo exercise. So while you're technically correct in that I could create an endless steam of useless characters--why would I want to?

Won't argue the above is something of an exception to the usual trend, but it's a valid enough one for specific cases.

Danth

So you would never want your wife or child to maybe switch it up and play one of your characters, while still having access to the rest of your stable of chars?

K, suit yourself.

(tbh some people are just massively failing at reading comprehension in this thread)

strongNpretty
06-15-2022, 04:26 PM
So you would never want your wife or child to maybe switch it up and play one of your characters, while still having access to the rest of your stable of chars?

K, suit yourself.

(tbh some people are just massively failing at reading comprehension in this thread)

I mean, are you asking me personally? Or just a generic question to the masses-

If you are directing this at me- I don't raid, i don't have a wife or a child, and i definitely dont need to be playing on 3 different servers at the same time.. Therefore i hope you can see why folks would chose a more simplistic approach to their accounts.

I mean honestly.. You guys are finding a need to play 3 servers at the same time?! Wtf, and if you have wife and kids and priorities, then how the even more fuck?!?!

Ripqozko
06-15-2022, 04:34 PM
I mean, are you asking me personally? Or just a generic question to the masses-

If you are directing this at me- I don't raid, i don't have a wife or a child, and i definitely dont need to be playing on 3 different servers at the same time.. Therefore i hope you can see why folks would chose a more simplistic approach to their accounts.

I mean honestly.. You guys are finding a need to play 3 servers at the same time?! Wtf, and if you have wife and kids and priorities, then how the even more fuck?!?!

You failed on all 3 servers, hope that helps.

strongNpretty
06-15-2022, 04:37 PM
You failed on all 3 servers, hope that helps.

Haha ok, good job beating everquest then 3 different times. That's a cool topic to discuss with your friends during Magic gatherings at your local Uncles Games.

Don't you ever disrespect me by hanging out at a high school lunch table of fucking wizards on your Friday nights.

Ripqozko
06-15-2022, 05:05 PM
Haha ok, good job beating everquest then 3 different times. That's a cool topic to discuss with your friends during Magic gatherings at your local Uncles Games.

Don't you ever disrespect me by hanging out at a high school lunch table of fucking wizards on your Friday nights.

Sorry you got fail

strongNpretty
06-15-2022, 05:43 PM
Sorry you got fail

Don't you ever disrespect me by replying again.

Ripqozko
06-15-2022, 06:25 PM
Don't you ever disrespect me by replying again.

Maybe the new green will work for you, surely the 4th time is the charm.

strongNpretty
06-15-2022, 06:33 PM
Maybe the new green will work for you, surely the 4th time is the charm.

Talky talky talky talky....

Garnaak
06-16-2022, 05:26 PM
Simple, 8 character limit.

Only 8 characters allowed per account. IF merger of green and blue is in the future, then that means 8 character limit per account across both servers. I enjoy experimenting different class/race combos so have 20+ toons lvl 10+.

Also, if I feel like boxing, I can use those same login server accounts to log into PEQ for my box group. (Heck, there are many people who play PEQ with box raids, so possibly 50+ login server accounts.)