PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS - Linux mode

Salvera
05-07-2022, 09:16 AM
Hi, I have read alot about people that managed to play on there chromebooks. But anyone ever tried to get P99 going on Chrome OS Linux mode ? I ask because Gallium OS isn't working on the one I plan to buy.

Tann
05-08-2022, 04:03 PM
I've got a newer Chromebook but haven't really tried getting much stuff running on it, don't think Gallium works on mine either.

In theory following one of the p99 Linux guides should work, like this one (https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide) on the wiki, but I've not personally tried it.

Salvera
05-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed ;)

loramin
05-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed ;)

If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

If so, that's huge (and I may have to pick up a cheap Chromebook)!

Tann
05-25-2022, 05:31 PM
If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

All the new Chromebooks support Linux pretty well, specially the Intel ones, you gotta enable a flag setting, no dual boot or separate OS, similar to how you'd run wine in Linux.

Salvera
05-26-2022, 04:48 AM

Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ). All I had to do was to activate the standard Chrome OS Linux - copy the p99 files into it. Install Wine, and the "middlemand" thing ( to see the servers in the server select) and it worked for me.

loramin
05-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ).

Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!

Still, awesome that cheap-er laptops can run EQ now :) Thanks again for sharing.

Salvera
05-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!

My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--

loramin
05-27-2022, 11:21 AM
My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--

Ah, good to know.

Vormotus
06-06-2022, 05:33 PM
Wow ... this is actually good news to me as well.

Due to work I got a small discretionary budget to buy a laptop and was aiming to get something cheap so I could install lubuntu on it right away but ... a Chromebook now sounds more appealing than ever.

Nice to see people here friendly to Linux :D

joppykid
07-29-2023, 03:10 AM
Not sure if you're still around but how did you get middlemand to run in crostini? I can't get it to start with the script

Brinkman1
07-29-2023, 04:44 AM
You have to compile it first.

joppykid
07-29-2023, 11:21 AM
You have to compile it first.

Ah, I see. Tried on two machines and I get this error when I try to compile with make -f Makefile

cc -c -o build/main.o src/main.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
make: cc: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:30: build/main.o] Error 127

Not sure what I am doing wrong lol. Wish I never got rid of my compiled version I had way back.

joppykid
07-29-2023, 11:30 AM
I might have gotten it to work. Looks like I was able to get it compiled on the macbook lol. Thanks for getting me in the right direction.

joppykid
07-29-2023, 11:44 AM
Well it's compiled but I just can't get it to run in Crostini. I have EQ opening no problem, I just can't see the servers so need this to run ��. Tried a VPN but that didn't seem to help.

loramin
07-29-2023, 12:10 PM
Well it's compiled but I just can't get it to run in Crostini. I have EQ opening no problem, I just can't see the servers so need this to run ��. Tried a VPN but that didn't seem to help.

If both the software and the VPN isn't working, you might have an issue with your network (eg. your router could be messing things up).

More networking-savvy people could probably provide some diagnostic tool you could use to determine this, but all I can suggest is trying to get it working on Windows (if you have a Windows laptop handy that you could install it on briefly), or trying to play with the settings on your router (or temporarily substitute a different router).

If it works on Windows, you know it's Linux's problem, and if it works with a different router you know it's a router problem ... but I'd check all that because for me personally (running Linux Mint) I don't need either middleman or a VPN anymore (although in the past a VPN did help).

Indefinite
07-29-2023, 12:30 PM
Ah, I see. Tried on two machines and I get this error when I try to compile with make -f Makefile

cc -c -o build/main.o src/main.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
make: cc: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:30: build/main.o] Error 127

Not sure what I am doing wrong lol. Wish I never got rid of my compiled version I had way back.

It looks like there could be missing files during the compile? I've used a similar tool by Zaela called eqemu-login-helper (https://github.com/Zaela/eqemu-login-helper/), which I think has a similar but different solution to the login server packet order issue. After a git clone and a `make` it leaves a binary in the bin directory. Have yet to run in to any issues compiling it on debian.

joppykid
07-29-2023, 02:14 PM
If both the software and the VPN isn't working, you might have an issue with your network (eg. your router could be messing things up).

More networking-savvy people could probably provide some diagnostic tool you could use to determine this, but all I can suggest is trying to get it working on Windows (if you have a Windows laptop handy that you could install it on briefly), or trying to play with the settings on your router (or temporarily substitute a different router).

If it works on Windows, you know it's Linux's problem, and if it works with a different router you know it's a router problem ... but I'd check all that because for me personally (running Linux Mint) I don't need either middleman or a VPN anymore (although in the past a VPN did help).

This is just an issue of me not knowing Linux very well haha. I work in IT, networking is fine. What I meant by the VPN not working is that is it didn't make the servers show up as some have mentioned. EQ works just fine in my windows environment.

joppykid
07-29-2023, 02:15 PM
It looks like there could be missing files during the compile? I've used a similar tool by Zaela called eqemu-login-helper (https://github.com/Zaela/eqemu-login-helper/), which I think has a similar but different solution to the login server packet order issue. After a git clone and a `make` it leaves a binary in the bin directory. Have yet to run in to any issues compiling it on debian.

So I was able to compile it on my macbook without issue but I think since it's an M1 Macbook that its now not working when I copied it over because my Chromebook is an i3 and its trying to execute it as ARM.

I will take a look at the link you sent. Thank you!

joppykid
07-29-2023, 02:29 PM
I finally was able to get it to compile on the Chromebook. I had to do sudo apt install build-essential and it finally worked. Installing just make didnt work for some reason.

Servers are now showing up as intended. Thanks for the help folks! Working and logged in now!

loramin
07-29-2023, 02:39 PM
I finally was able to get it to compile on the Chromebook. I had to do sudo apt install build-essential and it finally worked. Installing just make didnt work for some reason.

Servers are now showing up as intended. Thanks for the help folks! Now just to get the game to launch properly, freezing at login.

Congratulations, and welcome to Norath!