PDA

View Full Version : How is this melee weapon so cheap?

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 02:38 AM
Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood
Ratio: 11/24
Poisonous Chill (85 damage, procs at Level 1)

This thing is really only 700? I'm trying to buy a Winter's Fury as my mainhand until Earthcaller (with Frostbringer in my off-hand), and that's nearly 2k. How is this thing, with a comparable ratio (Winter's Fury is 13/23) and a good damage proc that works at Level 1, cheaper than that? How is it this cheap to begin with?

Tethler
04-11-2022, 02:59 AM
2 more damage and 1 less delay is pretty significant. The poison proc threat might also put some people off that are playing classes that don't want to be ripping off of tanks.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 03:07 AM
2 more damage and 1 less delay is pretty significant. The poison proc threat might also put some people off that are playing classes that don't want to be ripping off of tanks.

I hear this, but I haven't seen the math to show how significant a difference in parsing just 1 more point of damage or 1 less of delay makes.

But 2 damage/1 delay is enough DPS per minute to outstrip an 85 proc that triggers at Level 1? And what if you're soloing or acting as a Tank (in this case, a Ranger Tank), or at least playing support to a Tank and doesn't mind grabbing aggro?

Tethler
04-11-2022, 03:36 AM
The delay is minor. 10 delay = 1 second, so the .1 is only 1/10 of a second faster. The 2 damage is pretty big though.

IMO, the venomous axe would be fun to use in the lower levels because the proc is just gonna dumpster low level mobs when it procs. But once you get into the mid levels where your dual wield and double attack is landing more consistent hits, the 2 damage on the WF is gonna add up pretty quick compared the inconsistent nature of the axe proc. I don't have any math to back it up because I'm lazy, but I'd say by mid 30's is when I'd lean more into the raw damage over the proc.

If you have the funds, I'd say buy both and play around with em and see what you like more, then sell the one you don't like. If you're tight on cash, I'd lean more towards the Winter's Fury because the better ratio is only going to do more for you as you gain levels and your combat skills go up, where the axe proc at level 50 is the same as at level 1.

Robot
04-11-2022, 04:16 AM
its cheap because its farmed into oblivion. I held this camp 1 day for 5 hours and we got like 3 of these axes. Over the course of a week probably 12 hours total at the camp i saw about 8 axes drop.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 10:35 AM
The delay is minor. 10 delay = 1 second, so the .1 is only 1/10 of a second faster. The 2 damage is pretty big though.

IMO, the venomous axe would be fun to use in the lower levels because the proc is just gonna dumpster low level mobs when it procs. But once you get into the mid levels where your dual wield and double attack is landing more consistent hits, the 2 damage on the WF is gonna add up pretty quick compared the inconsistent nature of the axe proc. I don't have any math to back it up because I'm lazy, but I'd say by mid 30's is when I'd lean more into the raw damage over the proc.

If you have the funds, I'd say buy both and play around with em and see what you like more, then sell the one you don't like. If you're tight on cash, I'd lean more towards the Winter's Fury because the better ratio is only going to do more for you as you gain levels and your combat skills go up, where the axe proc at level 50 is the same as at level 1.

In this case my Ranger is level 48.

If that's the case though with proc threat, is Frostbringer a detriment in group play too? I paid 1800pp for that thing, and it's a nice weapon while I'm soloing but I don't want it to go to waste.

Trazic
04-11-2022, 10:57 AM
It is not a comparable ratio at all. Winter's Fury is much better.

Also the proc is underwhelming. Assuming 0 resists the proc adds 2.125 DPS with 170 dex and 2.833 DPS with 255 dex. And there are going to be resists especially on a twink fighting red con mobs.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Actually, if damage/delay is that significant at the higher levels, is Winter's Fury sister sword, the Skyfury Scimitar, worth pairing with it? It's also 13/23, with Wis/Mana instead of Str/HP.

I could use Skyfury Scimitar and Winter's Fury for group DPS, and Venomous Axe/Frostbringer for group tanking and solo play.

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 11:51 AM
SBOZ/swiftwind is the go to play. Anything else below this isn’t going to matter much. All the weapons you’re describing are chump change. Axe of the Velium Brood is a good twink weapon for level one, and that’s pretty much the extend of its use.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 11:53 AM
SBOZ/swiftwind is the go to play. Anything else below this isn’t going to matter much. All the weapons you’re describing are chump change. Axe of the Velium Brood is a good twink weapon for level one, and that’s pretty much the extend of its use.

I have a budget of about 12k at the moment and I'm not going to start the Epic quest for some time still, likely not until I can also afford an SEoC. Think they go for about 50k or so now?

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 12:00 PM
SEOC sells like hot cakes for 150k+. I would advise you to start the epic as soon as possible. The first blade (swiftwind) is easily attainable without buying any mqs, and if things line up it can be done very quickly. No reason to wait until you have the buying power for a SEOC.

Also, something to consider is the 10/18 velium warsword to pair with the swiftwind. It’s very close to a SBOZ in dps, looks pretty rad, and is like 5-6k. That’s what my ranger uses for mainhand with Swiftwind.

Start your foraging asap, get the corrupter fight done, and try to figure out how you’re gonna get VSR. The stone costs around 15-25k so not a hugely expensive mq.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 12:12 PM
SEOC sells like hot cakes for 150k+. I would advise you to start the epic as soon as possible. The first blade (swiftwind) is easily attainable without buying any mqs, and if things line up it can be done very quickly. No reason to wait until you have the buying power for a SEOC.

Also, something to consider is the 10/18 velium warsword to pair with the swiftwind. It’s very close to a SBOZ in dps, looks pretty rad, and is like 5-6k. That’s what my ranger uses for mainhand with Swiftwind.

Start your foraging asap, get the corrupter fight done, and try to figure out how you’re gonna get VSR. The stone costs around 15-25k so not a hugely expensive mq.

The wiki says the SEoC averages 50-70k, but I just noticed those prices are about 3 years old. Thought they'd be cheaper by now.

The plan was to offer tracking to a guild looking to kill VSR in exchange for one of the stones. That's how I was recommended to go about it.

Either way, if I'm going to invest in a weapon to pair with Swiftwind, it's going to be BoC, not SBoZ.

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 12:19 PM
1.) Wiki is a terrible source for finding the actual prices that MQ's are selling for. SEOC is a 150k+ MQ. MAYBE 100-125k on the cheap end if you know someone. Its a rare drop that comes from mini's that can be easily farmed by farm crews.

2.) Good luck with that. I don't foresee many guilds coming out to gift you a stone for "tracking" something that spawns multiple times a day. They might sell you a stone for cheaper than retail, but I digress.

3.) BoC is around 40k+ more expensive than SBOZ, and I doubt it parses much better, if at all. At high end, speed > ratio in many cases, and 11/18 is going to be a better weapon for a cheaper sum.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 12:22 PM
1.) Wiki is a terrible source for finding the actual prices that MQ's are selling for. SEOC is a 150k+ MQ. MAYBE 100-125k on the cheap end if you know someone. Its a rare drop that comes from mini's that can be easily farmed by farm crews.

2.) Good luck with that. I don't foresee many guilds coming out to gift you a stone for "tracking" something that spawns multiple times a day. They might sell you a stone for cheaper than retail, but I digress.

3.) BoC is around 40k+ more expensive than SBOZ, and I doubt it parses much better, if at all. At high end, speed > ratio in many cases, and 11/18 is going to be a better weapon for a cheaper sum.

Well at this point I can afford a VS stone so I guess it's not a big investment.

I'm going to start the foraging parts at 51 or so.

Gustoo
04-11-2022, 12:23 PM
It's basically the best low level item in the entire game, and one of my favorite things about velious is using that axe and a wrapped entropy serpent spine and a bio orb in low level pvp.

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Well at this point I can afford a VS stone so I guess it's not a big investment.

I'm going to start the foraging parts at 51 or so.

Not trying to sound rude here, but why wouldn't you work on completing the foraging parts asap? The haste on the swiftwind epic kicks in right at 46 (I completed my swiftwind at 46 and saw an immediate bump in DPS). I'm sure community members would help with the corrupter part in the Karanas, and that can be solo'd by many classes at lvl 60. The faster you get the 40% epic haste, the better.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 12:57 PM
Not trying to sound rude here, but why wouldn't you work on completing the foraging parts asap? The haste on the swiftwind epic kicks in right at 46 (I completed my swiftwind at 46 and saw an immediate bump in DPS). I'm sure community members would help with the corrupter part in the Karanas, and that can be solo'd by many classes at lvl 60. The faster you get the 40% epic haste, the better.

Depends on if I can get enough ports to do it all. I’m guildless so I don’t have people to help me with the running around or the killing. I still need to farm a bit of plat to cover the stone too.

If it makes any difference on prices or supply, I’m on Blue, not Green.

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 01:05 PM
Things generally should be cheaper on Blue than Green. I am PMing you, I don't mind helping with things. Hit me up any time.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 01:08 PM
Things generally should be cheaper on Blue than Green. I am PMing you, I don't mind helping with things. Hit me up any time.

I’ll check when I get home tonight, volunteering right now.

I’ll probably start it at 49, when I need to leave to get new spells anyway.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 01:59 PM

I probably need to buy jade reaver and Swirling Sphere of Color too. What does the sphere usually cost?

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 02:18 PM
Spheres are a dime a dozen, tons rot on posky raids. I would say 1-2k max. Jade reaver is pretty steady at 4-5k iirc.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 02:26 PM
Spheres are a dime a dozen, tons rot on posky raids. I would say 1-2k max. Jade reaver is pretty steady at 4-5k iirc.

Should I wait until I can afford everything in one go then? Sounds like about 25k in total to mq Swiftwind.

Kirdan
04-11-2022, 02:32 PM
At your level (48), the faster damage bonus application from a simple Jade Mace (9/18) makes it competitive with Winter's Fury. Weapons like Exquisite Velium Warsword (12/21) and Crafted Velium Warsword (10/18) are superior to Winter's Fury and within your stated budget. They are even superior to Earthcaller in terms of damage output, the reason to get Earthcaller is to proc slow (and look cool doing it). Venemous Axe of the Velium Brood doesn't even come close to any of these, it is only good at low levels when you don't have the damage bonus and the proc damage is relatively large compared to mob health.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 02:40 PM
At your level (48), the faster damage bonus application from a simple Jade Mace (9/18) makes it competitive with Winter's Fury. Weapons like Exquisite Velium Warsword (12/21) and Crafted Velium Warsword (10/18) are superior to Winter's Fury and within your stated budget. They are even superior to Earthcaller in terms of damage output, the reason to get Earthcaller is to proc slow (and look cool doing it). Venemous Axe of the Velium Brood doesn't even come close to any of these, it is only good at low levels when you don't have the damage bonus and the proc damage is relatively large compared to mob health.

I’m always looking for stats on weapons, strength, hp, etc. I factor that in with the ratio and try to find a good middle ground.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 03:36 PM
I should also mention I’m about to start a new Druid as well, and that’s likely to take up most of my play time.

I DEFINITELY plan to start the Druid epic early though, as I hear it’s one of the easiest to complete and a Druid has it easy with all the porting around.

Twochain
04-11-2022, 03:53 PM
Eldwin has been farming frenzy 24/7 for literally 6 years

That's how.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 05:02 PM
It is not a comparable ratio at all. Winter's Fury is much better.

Also the proc is underwhelming. Assuming 0 resists the proc adds 2.125 DPS with 170 dex and 2.833 DPS with 255 dex. And there are going to be resists especially on a twink fighting red con mobs.

Does this mean Frostbringer with its 12/22 and 60 -ac proc is a bad weapon too? I hope not, I invested 1800pp into it intending to pair it with Winters Fury.

Keebz
04-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Frostbringer is a good weapon if you want to tank. If you don't want to pull aggro, it is problematic.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 05:21 PM
Frostbringer is a good weapon if you want to tank. If you don't want to pull aggro, it is problematic.

I rarely group as a Ranger, mostly solo. But when I do group I’m usually asked to tank.

Kirdan
04-11-2022, 06:08 PM
I’m always looking for stats on weapons, strength, hp, etc. I factor that in with the ratio and try to find a good middle ground.

Well, you shouldn't. Stats are gravy, focus on the damage output of the weapons.

Keebz
04-11-2022, 06:47 PM
I rarely group as a Ranger, mostly solo. But when I do group I’m usually asked to tank.

Sounds reasonable then. Just carry another non-procing weapon to swap to if you're ever in a group and not tanking.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Well, you shouldn't. Stats are gravy, focus on the damage output of the weapons.

Winter's Fury has both, a good 13/23 ratio with Strength and HP, which is why I want it.

Sounds reasonable then. Just carry another non-procing weapon to swap to if you're ever in a group and not tanking.

What I'm considering is selling the Frostbringer, getting my 1800 back, and buying a Skyfury Scimitar instead. Then I'll have two 13/23 weapons as my placeholders until Epic, or at least Swiftwind.

Then, if I haven't geared my Druid by then, the scimitar can go to him.

Andyman1022
04-11-2022, 08:27 PM
Winter's Fury has both, a good 13/23 ratio with Strength and HP, which is why I want it.

What I'm considering is selling the Frostbringer, getting my 1800 back, and buying a Skyfury Scimitar instead. Then I'll have two 13/23 weapons as my placeholders until Epic, or at least Swiftwind.

Then, if I haven't geared my Druid by then, the scimitar can go to him.

What he is saying is that a faster (10/18) weapon would outperform the slower 13/23 at higher levels and so you shouldn’t worry about acquiring stats on weapons. I agree with this poster, stats on weapons are just a bonus, speed for mainhand and ratio for offhand are most important.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 08:29 PM
What he is saying is that a faster (10/18) weapon would outperform the slower 13/23 at higher levels and so you shouldn’t worry about acquiring stats on weapons. I agree with this poster, stats on weapons are just a bonus, speed for mainhand and ratio for offhand are most important.

Are you saying Lamentation becomes a better main-hand weapon the higher level you get? Because up until now I've been dual-wielding them.

Crede
04-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Are you saying Lamentation becomes a better main-hand weapon the higher level you get? Because up until now I've been dual-wielding them.

That’s exactly what he means. Primary damage bonus gets higher as you level up, so the faster a weapon is the more often it gets applied. This also ignores ac.

You’re over complicating things for minimal gains. Just use the dual lammies until you get epic. And at that point go for lowest delay primary that you can afford with increasingly better ratios. As others have stated, sboz is pretty much the end game for tradeable Ranger primaries(excl warder loot)

Loadsamoney
04-11-2022, 11:24 PM
That’s exactly what he means. Primary damage bonus gets higher as you level up, so the faster a weapon is the more often it gets applied. This also ignores ac.

You’re over complicating things for minimal gains. Just use the dual lammies until you get epic. And at that point go for lowest delay primary that you can afford with increasingly better ratios. As others have stated, sboz is pretty much the end game for tradeable Ranger primaries(excl warder loot)

That's exactly what I was planning to do, but I kept being told "no, you need to upgrade, Lammies suck, get a Woodsman's Staff, drop the Lammies, Woodsman Woodsman Woodsman." And I stubbornly kept the Lammies and did just fine.

Now I actually want to upgrade the Lammies for something better, and I'm being told not to? Seriously?

So unless I can resell the Frostbringer and get my 1800 back, I bought it for nothing?

Crede
04-12-2022, 12:07 AM
That's exactly what I was planning to do, but I kept being told "no, you need to upgrade, Lammies suck, get a Woodsman's Staff, drop the Lammies, Woodsman Woodsman Woodsman." And I stubbornly kept the Lammies and did just fine.

Now I actually want to upgrade the Lammies for something better, and I'm being told not to? Seriously?

So unless I can resell the Frostbringer and get my 1800 back, I bought it for nothing?

Frostbringer is really easy to resell because of how good its aggro is for the price. Tbh I’d keep it for a tank setup. And just use dual lammies when you’re not tanking in a group. Woodmans is technically superior from 30-50s until you get epic but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get it.

Loadsamoney
04-12-2022, 12:09 AM
Frostbringer is really easy to resell because of how good its aggro is for the price. Tbh I’d keep it for a tank setup. And just use dual lammies when you’re not tanking in a group. Woodmans is technically superior from 30-50s until you get epic but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get it.

So it's not worth getting a Winter's Fury then, to replace my off-hand Lammy?

If I'm going to keep it for tanking, I feel like I should also get a Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood, or a Flamesong, to pair with it for more proc threat.

Although a Ranger really doesn't have any problems with threat considering Call of Sky and Flame Lick.

Andyman1022
04-12-2022, 08:34 AM
You could tank with dual Lammies and never lose aggro, flame lick is far and away better than waiting on a proc for aggro.

If you want to flip the frosty to get your money back, I’ll buy it for my warrior which I’ve needed to replace for a while now.

People generally shit on lammies because they are a sub 0.5 ratio. Jade mace is around the same price and is a .5 ratio with 18 delay, making it the de jure twink weapon. No harm in using lammies till epic though. I still think the play would be to buy a 10/18 velium warsword (crafted velium warsword) for 5-6k. This is a weapon you could use forever in the primary alongside your swiftwind when you decide to do that.

Kirdan
04-12-2022, 10:02 AM
If you aren't getting Swiftwind soon, then I would definitely upgrade your offhand Lammy with a better ratio. Winter's Fury or Scimitar of the Emerald Dawn come to mind with your budget, but if you are always solo or tanking then Frostbringer is perfectly acceptable as an offhand over Lammy. Really, the best thing you can do is to get Swiftwind done. You'll use that forever.

Loadsamoney
04-12-2022, 01:21 PM
You could tank with dual Lammies and never lose aggro, flame lick is far and away better than waiting on a proc for aggro.

If you want to flip the frosty to get your money back, I’ll buy it for my warrior which I’ve needed to replace for a while now.

People generally shit on lammies because they are a sub 0.5 ratio. Jade mace is around the same price and is a .5 ratio with 18 delay, making it the de jure twink weapon. No harm in using lammies till epic though. I still think the play would be to buy a 10/18 velium warsword (crafted velium warsword) for 5-6k. This is a weapon you could use forever in the primary alongside your swiftwind when you decide to do that.

I'll sell it to you for 1.8k if you want it. That's what I paid for it.

If you aren't getting Swiftwind soon, then I would definitely upgrade your offhand Lammy with a better ratio. Winter's Fury or Scimitar of the Emerald Dawn come to mind with your budget, but if you are always solo or tanking then Frostbringer is perfectly acceptable as an offhand over Lammy. Really, the best thing you can do is to get Swiftwind done. You'll use that forever.

Once I ding 49 I'm going to leave Paineel to go get my new spells. That will probably be when I start doing the foraging and the running around, though I would most certainly need help with the Corrupter and Jaeil in The Hole.

Crede
04-12-2022, 02:34 PM
So it's not worth getting a Winter's Fury then, to replace my off-hand Lammy?

If I'm going to keep it for tanking, I feel like I should also get a Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood, or a Flamesong, to pair with it for more proc threat.

Although a Ranger really doesn't have any problems with threat considering Call of Sky and Flame Lick.

I would pass on winters fury. Looks like shit too.

Lammy/frostbringer can prob out aggro frostbringer/venom axe due to superior white damage with a low threat proc on axe and flame lick is doing most of the heavy lifting for aggro anyway

Loadsamoney
04-12-2022, 03:11 PM
I would pass on winters fury. Looks like shit too.

Lammy/frostbringer can prob out aggro frostbringer/venom axe due to superior white damage with a low threat proc on axe and flame lick is doing most of the heavy lifting for aggro anyway

Another reason I was eyeing Frostbringer was because it has AC on it. Though it's only a marginal amount, my understanding was, and I'm probably wrong about this, but my understanding was that AC on any item that can go in the off-hand counts as shield AC and goes above the softcap.

I was told it works for the same way for AC on two-handers as well, notably the Paladin Epic and Nature's Defender.

Loadsamoney
04-12-2022, 11:36 PM
Well, Dinged 49 finally, which means I'm out shopping for new spells again. I have two choices at this point, I can either buy a Jade Reaver now and try to get as much of my Epic done as possible, or I can go farm some more money and push to 51 before I start.

I don't know if the geonids in CC will be enough to get me to 51 but that's where I plan to go back to with my new spells. But if I buy a Jade Reaver and sell my Frostbringer, I'll probably have about 13k to my name, and I'm not sure if that's enough to afford a VS stone. And I have to MQ a swirling sphere as well.

I certainly can't do this without a druid to port me all over the place, it's just too much running around. But do I have enough money at the moment to go after Swiftwind now, or should I go grind it out in CC (or alternatively, Bashers in Grobb) and put more money aside?

Andyman1022
04-13-2022, 08:32 AM
Cheapest I have seen VS stone is 18k. Which means you should go grind more plat. What’s the deal with your guild and getting VSR? It takes 2 60 enchanters, a 60 tank and some dps if everyone is disciplined. Swiftwind will improve your gameplay much more than any other item you’ve mentioned.

bobjonesp99
04-13-2022, 08:51 AM
if you ranger is lvl 49 already, then you can def dump the venom axe. also the frostbringer is no good to you, its best as a agro weapon.... rangers dont want agro in a raid setting and in a group setting you have flame lick to hold agro, so no point. do everything you can to get the offhand ranger which you will never take off. for your main hand you need a non-agro weapon and eventually earthcaller (thatll be expensive). until then, you either want swiftblade of zek or crafted velium warsword.

Loadsamoney
04-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Cheapest I have seen VS stone is 18k. Which means you should go grind more plat. What’s the deal with your guild and getting VSR? It takes 2 60 enchanters, a 60 tank and some dps if everyone is disciplined. Swiftwind will improve your gameplay much more than any other item you’ve mentioned.

I'm not in a guild, that's the thing. I haven't found one yet.

Andyman1022
04-13-2022, 11:33 AM
Thought you were in Axiom?

Loadsamoney
04-13-2022, 11:35 AM
Thought you were in Axiom?

They removed me for inactivity. I hadn't played for over a year, not since my old computer died and I had to replace it. I didn't get P99 up and running again until roughly a month ago.

I'm going to make a new thread seeking another guild soon, I'm just trying to figure out the criteria for what I'm looking for, what my goals are, and my future plans.

DMN
04-13-2022, 02:05 PM
meh. why bother when you cn just buy staff of btattle and save all your plat for a BIS weapon/haste in the future?

Loadsamoney
04-13-2022, 03:23 PM
meh. why bother when you cn just buy staff of btattle and save all your plat for a BIS weapon/haste in the future?

I was actually going to ask about the Haste, because if I already have a Haste item (in this case, not a great one, 24%), does Swiftwind still make that big of a difference in overall DPS? What if you already had a strong Haste item, like CoF, just shy of Swiftwinds 40%?

I'm going to try and get it regardless, I'm just curious.

Jimjam
04-13-2022, 03:34 PM
the more haste is always better, but the + attack seems to be pretty good.

Not parsed the difference, not sure how I would (maybe blunt or pierce in primary?) but feels good to use.

Loadsamoney
04-13-2022, 03:37 PM
the more haste is always better, but the + attack seems to be pretty good.

Not parsed the difference, not sure how I would (maybe blunt or pierce in primary?) but feels good to use.

Does +attack actually make a difference in your overall DPS?

Cause I do NOT use my Firefist spell. You've got me curious now if that's a big mistake, not to be using it.

DMN
04-13-2022, 03:58 PM
Oops ignore my staff of battle comment, i thought i clicked on the warrior twink thread.

Jimjam
04-13-2022, 04:14 PM
Does +attack actually make a difference in your overall DPS?

Cause I do NOT use my Firefist spell. You've got me curious now if that's a big mistake, not to be using it.

depends on what you are fighting. EQ will compare ur atk with enemy ac and use that to weigh a d20 roll to pick how much damage you do. if ur atk is close to enemy ac then adding attack will make a difference to the weightings. If the enemy AC is either way higher or way lower than your atk then adding a smidgen more won't make a difference. Basically if you are doing a good spread of damages on your hits, adding attack will help a fair bit. If you are hitting mostly for min or mostly for max it won't do much.

I pretty much always cast it anyway, otherwise I may as well not be a ranger.

Loadsamoney
04-13-2022, 04:20 PM
depends on what you are fighting. EQ will compare ur atk with enemy ac and use that to weigh a d20 roll to pick how much damage you do. if ur atk is close to enemy ac then adding attack will make a difference to the weightings. If the enemy AC is either way higher or way lower than your atk then adding a smidgen more won't make a difference. Basically if you are doing a good spread of damages on your hits, adding attack will help a fair bit. If you are hitting mostly for min or mostly for max it won't do much.

I pretty much always cast it anyway, otherwise I may as well not be a ranger.

I'm just lazy about constantly reapplying buffs that only last 10 minutes. I don't like having to constantly swap spells.

I never saw Ranger as a class that absolutely has to utilize every little advantage it possibly can, but if it would serve me better, I guess I can try to start breaking some lazy habits.

bobjonesp99
04-13-2022, 04:48 PM
haste is incredibly important, especially sub 60 when you arent getting raid buffed constantly. the damage output inrease going from 21 haste to 40 haste is.... very easily calculatable. 140/121 is 15% more damage; thats alot. thats more incremental dps than youll get at 60 going from a jade mace primary to a swiftblade of zek primary. as the poster above mentioned... attack is also very important at the high end. generally speaking about 10 atk is 1% increased dps (its much more complicated than this); and once you got your weapons and cap strength and haste, its the last frontier of increasing damage.

Tethler
04-16-2022, 10:30 PM
I'm just lazy about constantly reapplying buffs that only last 10 minutes. I don't like having to constantly swap spells.

I never saw Ranger as a class that absolutely has to utilize every little advantage it possibly can, but if it would serve me better, I guess I can try to start breaking some lazy habits.

Once you hit 51, you'll get Strength of Nature as an upgrade to firefist. It lasts for like an hour so it's much nicer for buff management.

Trelaboon
12-28-2022, 04:02 PM
I was actually going to ask about the Haste, because if I already have a Haste item (in this case, not a great one, 24%), does Swiftwind still make that big of a difference in overall DPS? What if you already had a strong Haste item, like CoF, just shy of Swiftwinds 40%?

I'm going to try and get it regardless, I'm just curious.

Pretty much impossible for a Ranger to get a 41% haste item outside of a raid environment. This makes Swiftwind amazing; especially for how easy it is to obtain. I’d start working on my epic immediately and finish it ASAP. I’m willing to help with any fights as I’m usually bored and looking for something to do. The absolute best thing you could do for your characters development is finish your Swiftwind. It’s THAT good. Then as someone else mentioned, spend the 5-6k on a Crafted Velium Warsword. Those weapons will last you until you’re 60 and well into entry level raiding if that’s something that interests you.

Toxigen
12-28-2022, 04:09 PM
its cheap because its not really that good for 95% of blue players

Encroaching Death
12-28-2022, 05:24 PM
its cheap because its not really that good for 95% of blue players

^ and it's a halfway common drop from an easy camp.

Ghost of Starman
12-28-2022, 09:50 PM
What's more amazing is that Reaver, the BIS droppable weapon for the classes that can use it, is only 7-8k. Being non-magical means almost nothing against 99% of mobs in EQ so it's shockingly cheap.

Encroaching Death
12-29-2022, 07:45 AM
I like how Poison Wind Censor procs a harmful spell starting at level 50, so no one wants to use it so it becomes a cheap starter weapon.

Toxigen
12-29-2022, 10:19 AM
What's more amazing is that Reaver, the BIS droppable weapon for the classes that can use it, is only 7-8k. Being non-magical means almost nothing against 99% of mobs in EQ so it's shockingly cheap.

Just supply and demand at this point. Common drop off statue, can drop multiples...don't think more than 1 2-hander twink melee is being made and geared every 5 days.