PDA

View Full Version : Mage chain summoning question...

Hawxley222
03-20-2022, 07:17 PM
I recently got the EQ bug again and started a mage on Green Server. I went mage because I have never played one and I love pet classes in general and I'm starting with nothing...

My Question/s: Chain summoning down a mob...How does this work? Like I had a random last night tell me I would probably enjoy an enchanter/Necromancer more because Chaining isn't what it used to be... I just don't know what to think about that because i don't know what he's talking about. (i get the concept of chaining, summoning a pet over and over until mob is dead) Is chaining not what it used to be? What am i missing here? if anything....Am i wasting my time leveling up a mage? I just don't want to get 20-40 levels in and feel gimped because of the lack of ability to solo effectively or what have you. I can see Necros get a nice toolkit and enchanters get to be borderline gods (don't like the stress of having my pet turning around and taking off my head off). I just like strong pets and Nuking things.

ScottBerta
03-20-2022, 08:30 PM
You can no longer or at least I have yet to figure out how to tell a pet to go away while your casting your new pet. Meaning before I could tell my pet to go away 1/2 a second before new pet cast. Now you have to time it so your spell finishes close to pet dying. If you miss time spell and it casts when old pet is still alive you will lose all the mana. Or old pet dies to fast and you get summoned or mob agro’s you before new pet is out. It is far harder to do effectively.

Hawxley222
03-20-2022, 08:44 PM
Oh okay...I see... is it a deal breaker? Like Am I going to be throwing my hands up in the air in frustration? lol. because that sounds kind of like I'm going to need to be real clutch with the resummon in order for the mob to not run me down. Is this a problem in your experience? Ty for the info

ScottBerta
03-20-2022, 08:57 PM
Probably not a huge deal lower level but as mobs summon it can be. Also if your grouping not as big a deal but if your soloing more problematic. I’d see what other mage players say too.

Videri
03-20-2022, 09:05 PM
Firstly, you can chain-summon if you use an earth pet and if it manages to keep its root proc on the target. It's a bit risky.

Secondly, no, mage is perfectly viable and fun and useful without it. Source: do /w all magi 50 60

Hawxley222
03-20-2022, 09:29 PM
Cool ty again guys. I'll stick with it then and earth pet it up when needed. i'll probably be grouping at least 50%+ of the time anyway, or at least I intend too lol.

PatChapp
03-20-2022, 10:00 PM
My mage is level 60 and the only time I've needed to chain pets to kill single mobs was to challenge myself. I chained the allizewsaur, though before the bug.
The best mage xp mobs are ones that your pet can kill with little help, and you get lost or reclaim your pet, kill the mob and get full xp. This is viable all the way to 60, though a bit tougher to find good mobs at 57+

There's a recent video of a mage on blue pet chaining ice burrowers, level 61 mobs. She uses the broken aggro mechanics to her advantage and aggro kites them.
Fun class, would level again.

Kirdan
03-20-2022, 10:03 PM
You can use pet commands while casting a new pet if you make social macros for the command and click it from the social page while you are casting.

loramin
03-20-2022, 10:04 PM
You can no longer or at least I have yet to figure out how to tell a pet to go away while your casting your new pet. Meaning before I could tell my pet to go away 1/2 a second before new pet cast. Now you have to time it so your spell finishes close to pet dying. If you miss time spell and it casts when old pet is still alive you will lose all the mana. Or old pet dies to fast and you get summoned or mob agro’s you before new pet is out. It is far harder to do effectively.

Here's what you do. First, use the earth pet, because the root will help a ton.

Second, go beat down a mob until your pet is maybe 15% (faster-hitting mobs you might want to start at 20%). Then, start casting your pet, and then start typing /pet get lost.

A moment before your summon will be cast, hit enter, killing your old pet. Your new pet arrives and you can immediately send it at the mob. Thanks to the root (that he hopefully has from the old pet) your new pet should have time to take agro from him ... but a bit of running around (with jboots) may be necessary sometimes.

PatChapp
03-20-2022, 10:09 PM
Here's what you do. First, use the earth pet, because the root will help a ton.

Second, go beat down a mob until your pet is maybe 15% (faster-hitting mobs you might want to start at 20%). Then, start casting your pet, and then start typing /pet get lost.

A moment before your summon will be cast, hit enter, killing your old pet. Your new pet arrives and you can immediately send it at the mob. Thanks to the root (that he hopefully has from the old pet) your new pet should have time to take agro from him, but a bit of running around (with jboots) may be necessary sometimes.
He's getting summoned because all pet agro is dumping onto him, has nothing to do with clicking from socials tab. I had a lot of problems with this in my recent stint camping phinny, people were getting summoned in between pets.

Kirdan
03-20-2022, 10:14 PM
Has nothing to do with the pet agro being dumped on him, if you are trying to chain summon vs a summoning mob then there will always be a split second where you can be summoned before your new pet can establish agro.

Vaarsuvius
03-21-2022, 02:36 AM

Macros won't work, but while you summoning your new pet you can type any pet command you want to:

/pet get lost

Wait until the very last moment before you hit enter (like you would to get full benefits of C2 | PotG | Torpor on yourself before you click a rez box), so your new pet will be ready the moment the former one dies

It also works while casting Shock of Swords | Seeking Flame of Seukor or clicking Burnt Wood Staff :
/pet back off
/pet follow
/pet sit

Pet starts to get some hp back while your spell to kill a mob is on its way

Start buffing a pet & sick it on a mob:
Click Prestidigitator Robe | Trousers & /pet attack XXXX

Videri
03-21-2022, 03:03 AM
Has nothing to do with the pet agro being dumped on him, if you are trying to chain summon vs a summoning mob then there will always be a split second where you can be summoned before your new pet can establish agro.

Hm, which means if you spaam-back your pet shortly before summoning a new one, you can get the mob to summon your original pet, and there's a 30-second (?) cooldown on a mob's summoning, so then you can hopefully summon the new pet without getting summoned if you time it perfectly.

PatChapp
03-21-2022, 06:39 AM
Hm, which means if you spaam-back your pet shortly before summoning a new one, you can get the mob to summon your original pet, and there's a 30-second (?) cooldown on a mob's summoning, so then you can hopefully summon the new pet without getting summoned if you time it perfectly.

I believe it's 10 seconds, but with the pet agro being dumped on the caster would be pretty hard for the pet to establish enough hate either way.
I think the moral here is don't try to chain vs summoning mobs right now

loramin
03-21-2022, 12:16 PM
He's getting summoned because all pet agro is dumping onto him, has nothing to do with clicking from socials tab. I had a lot of problems with this in my recent stint camping phinny, people were getting summoned in between pets.

Where does the OP say anything in his post about getting summoned? He's talking about summoning pets.

And yes, obviously chaining pets against a summoning mob is difficult, but a mage can happily level to 60 without ever fighting a summoning mob.

Jimjam
03-21-2022, 12:33 PM
Where does the OP say anything in his post about getting summoned? He's talking about summoning pets.

And yes, obviously chaining pets against a summoning mob is difficult, but a mage can happily level to 60 without ever fighting a summoning mob.

Thank you for that clarification. I was having a double take seeing mages saying how it is difficult (not impossible) to kill lvl 51+ mobs consistently for xp when an equivalently levelled melee would be killing something 10 levels lower.

Balimon
03-21-2022, 02:07 PM
The trick to fighting summoning mobs is to have DA clickies, but that's beyond what the OP is asking for.

TLDR:

When your pet is getting low ( use /pet health to check ) around 15-30%, start summoning a new pet. When the cast is down to 1-2 seconds left, manually click a social macro you have made (/pet get lost) to kill your current pet. Your new pet will pop out.

The issue is an aggro bug where your pets threat is dumped onto you when the pet dies or is killed by you. You can mitigate this by use using an earth pet so that when he roots he will snap that aggro off of you. If you're outdoors you can also kite the mob while the pet establishes aggro.

Jimjam
03-21-2022, 02:14 PM
What level does chaining become preferred these days? I’m still on the 29 pets and usually just fight a mob or two at once and dump a couple of rains into the fight to cut it short. Probably not too efficient :D

Balimon
03-21-2022, 02:29 PM
What level does chaining become preferred these days? I’m still on the 29 pets and usually just fight a mob or two at once and dump a couple of rains into the fight to cut it short. Probably not too efficient :D

29 is really where it starts to shine when that pet cost goes down to 200 and you have a bit of mana, but a torched fire pet should take down dark blues in one go most of the time for ya!

Kirdan
03-21-2022, 02:54 PM

This is what I was responding to, sorry for the confusion.

ReoDobbs
03-24-2022, 10:19 PM
Thank you for that clarification. I was having a double take seeing mages saying how it is difficult (not impossible) to kill lvl 51+ mobs consistently for xp when an equivalently levelled melee would be killing something 10 levels lower.

As a mage we tend to have Enchanter/Necro Envy. We outshine Wizards and Clerics soloing, otherwise every other caster/priest can out solo us. I'm not going to lie though, as lame as it is this class is fun/amazing at going to out leveled dungeons and raking in the plat (probably the one of if not the best classes at doing this)

PatChapp
03-24-2022, 10:35 PM
As a mage we tend to have Enchanter/Necro Envy. We outshine Wizards and Clerics soloing, otherwise every other caster/priest can out solo us. I'm not going to lie though, as lame as it is this class is fun/amazing at going to out leveled dungeons and raking in the plat (probably the one of if not the best classes at doing this)
Yeah for sure, sol a is my favorite. Even just clearing the goblins you can do 4-500pp/hour. Super chill to