PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Bands / Most Underrated Bands

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 02:50 AM
Rules:

No obscure bands nobody ever heard of. Most of the people you know like them or mindlessly bought their albums during the peak of their popularity because everyone else did.

Any genre is fair game except Rap

Underrated is all personal preference just that it's obvious they never really got the love they deserve
__________________________________________________ __________________

My List:

Overrated

1) Red Hot Chili Peppers
2) Nine Inch Nails / Marolyn Manson (tied for total SHIT)
3) Avenged Sevenfold
4) Guns N Roses
5) Coldplay

Honorable Mentions:

1) Tool
2) KISS
3) Korn

Underrated

1) Faith No More
2) Joy Division
3) Rainbow
4) Fate's Warning
5) Neurosis

Honorable Mentions:

1) Helmet
2) Type O Negative
3) Failure

Toxigen
01-18-2022, 05:13 AM
Tool overrated?

lmao this thread is done

Trexller
01-18-2022, 05:51 AM
by page 3, this will be a thread about reps vs dems.

Jimjam
01-18-2022, 05:55 AM
MUSE on both counts.

Shac
01-18-2022, 07:01 AM
velvet revolver, silk sonic

Knowledge
01-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Courtney Love paid Allen Wrench 50K to kill Kurt after Kurt wanted a divorce.

nostalgiaquest
01-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Tool overrated?

lmao this thread is done

I agree and disagree at the same time. I haven't' been able to get into anything from Tool since Lateralus. 10,000 days was ok, but I've tried to listen to Fear Inoculum a few times and end up getting bored after a few songs.

Maybe I've changed, but Tool used to be my shit when I was a kid. Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus are still some of favourite albums.

F0rmsh1fter
01-18-2022, 10:26 AM
I agree and disagree at the same time. I haven't' been able to get into anything from Tool since Lateralus.

Accurate

Underrated:
The sword
Windhand

Overrated:
Five finger death punch (absolute disturbed tier garbage)
Disturbed

robayon
01-18-2022, 11:01 AM
Primus sucks

Gravydoo II
01-18-2022, 11:17 AM
ac/dc is boring as fuck
Kiss sucks
disturbed, dont hit me mommy
korn sucked

Toxigen
01-18-2022, 11:33 AM
Rules:

No obscure bands nobody ever heard of.

Underrated

2) Joy Division
3) Rainbow
4) Fate's Warning
5) Neurosis

literally nobody knows those 4 bands lol

Overrated:
KISS
Bon Jovi
Guns n Roses

Underrated:
Chicago
Steely Dan
Van Morrison

Evia
01-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Joy Division and Faith No More I agree with him on.

I also find most of the bands you guys put in as overrated as pretty accurate. Only one more overrated band I can think of that’s obvious.

Overrated:
Imagine Dragons

Underrated:
Manchester Orchestra
Thursday
As Cities Burn (best guitarist of the modern era imho)
Circa Survive
Thrice
Every Time I Die

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 11:53 AM

Overrated:
KISS
Bon Jovi
Guns n Roses

Underrated:
Chicago
Steely Dan
Van Morrison

Yea underrated is all personal preference. That a lot of people don't know about them is proof they didn't get the love they deserve.

I knew tool would be ruffle some feathers. Here's my take. Opiate through Aenima were dope. Lateralus is a good album. Everything else they've done since then is just phoning it in, but it's tool so people don't notice.

Ooloo
01-18-2022, 11:59 AM
Overrated:
U2 - Fuck this band, I don't know why anyone likes them, they suck shit.
FooFighters - Used to be decent, now every song sounds generic and I wish Kurt Cobain never died

Underrated:
Keane
Belle & Sebastian
Spoon

Also I agree with that analysis of tool. Lateralus was good but they were really starting to stretch material out too long and spread it too thin and chunks of the album sound like generic instrumental prog band #578692. Then basically everything since then with a couple oddball songs like the pot all sound like recycled lateralus bsides.

Evia
01-18-2022, 12:02 PM
Good take on foo fighters and U2. Couldn’t agree more! Although I think why U2 gets so much recognition is because of how ahead of it’s time their album ‘The Joshua Tree’ was. Besides that point, I don’t understand why they’re cited as peoples favorites.

robayon
01-18-2022, 12:05 PM
Underrated: Battles, Against All Logic, Death From Above 1979

nostalgiaquest
01-18-2022, 02:01 PM
Ive always thought it criminal that Nirvana gets more hype than Alice in Chains

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 02:19 PM

Agree

Mad Season is also a criminally underrated album/band

A few more underrated bands that come to mind:

Oceansize
Porcupine Tree

Another overrated band/artist that I can't stand

White Zombie/ Rob Zombie

Tunabros
01-18-2022, 02:38 PM
never heard of any of those "underrated" bands

Tunabros
01-18-2022, 02:39 PM

Underrated

1) Faith No More
2) Joy Division
3) Rainbow
4) Fate's Warning
5) Neurosis

Honorable Mentions:

1) Helmet
2) Type O Negative
3) Failure

bruh

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 02:43 PM
bruh

Can't any of you people READ

Underrated is all personal preference just that it's obvious they never really got the love they deserve

The entire point of 'underrated' is they never had the mainstream success of a major band, but were WAY better

Example - Faith No More > Red Hot Chili Peppers

or

Mr. Bungle > Red Hot Chili Peppers

Underrated as in they should have been way more popular than they were

Jibartik
01-18-2022, 04:06 PM

to be fair at the time there were other bands that were like alice in chains, but nirvana was all alone with its sound with this punk/grunge mashup

Both are good bands, but the irony to me is the kids that listen to nirvana now are the enemy of nirvana then and kurt would totally listen to Alice over that commercial trash ban nirvana and that's just awesome.

nostalgiaquest
01-18-2022, 04:07 PM
I know every band Eli has mentioned, and agree with him on a lot of them. But I’m also not a teenage Taiwanese kid ;)

Ooloo
01-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Nirvana was light years ahead of every other "grunge" band. They shouldn't be lumped in with grunge. Kurt loved the beatles. "About a girl" sounds exactly like a song off hard day's night. Alice in chains and pearl jam and the actual grunge bands kinda suck. They all sound like early 90s cliches, change my mind.

Reiwa
01-18-2022, 04:26 PM
I've heard of a joy division but not any of the bands songs. ;)

nostalgiaquest
01-18-2022, 04:53 PM
I ain’t gonna argue music. That’s worse than politics lol.

Also, the Beatles suck

Flame of Anor
01-18-2022, 05:02 PM
Overrated: https://wiki.project1999.com/Adamantite_Band
Underrated: https://wiki.project1999.com/Band_of_Tunare

Jibartik
01-18-2022, 05:16 PM
Overrated: https://wiki.project1999.com/Adamantite_Band
Underrated: https://wiki.project1999.com/Band_of_Tunare

:cool:

Reiwa
01-18-2022, 05:21 PM
:cool:

https://i.imgur.com/dI7dvPw.jpg

Jimjam
01-18-2022, 06:06 PM
I've heard of a joy division but not any of the bands songs. ;)

Love Will Tear Us Apart is the good one.

Ooloo
01-18-2022, 06:44 PM
Also, the Beatles suck

Worst contrarian opinion ever. Anyone who says this is bad and wrong.

Cecily
01-18-2022, 06:55 PM
Overrated: Van Halen, I just get C-c-c-c-yaa-yeah vibes from this awful band. Seriously, it sounds like they do a lot of cocaine. Fuck coke heads and 1980s rock in general. Most uninterestingly verbose group of pseudointellectuals I've had to suffer. It's fun to listen to someone smart coked out, but it's mostly dumbasses' brains overclocked. If I have to pick a drug influence for my music, just give me heroin.
Underrated: Queens of the Stone Age. You see can the influence of nicotine, valium, vicodine, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol. C-c-cocaine also.

Overrated: Offspring. I wish I spent less time listening to them as a teen.
Underrated: Bad Religion. I wish this was the band I associated punk music with instead of the Sex Pistols.

robayon
01-18-2022, 06:57 PM
I have long been a Qotsa fan but those latest allegations against Josh are yeesh

Even if Brody is also full of shit, just yeesh

Normally I can seperate the person from the art fairly well, but Josh, yeesh

Cecily
01-18-2022, 06:58 PM
Overrated: QoTSA
Underrated: The Distillers

https://i.imgur.com/5JNMC59.png
That what you're talking about? I'm totally fine with this and makes me like him a bit more. Lol.

robayon
01-18-2022, 07:09 PM
No I was referring to him being nasty to his kids, but I can swallow him roughing up some fella

May have out of date info, I just remember seeing all this shit sometime in the last two years

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 07:16 PM
My boy Fugazi never got the love he deserves

SGJFWirQ3ks

Jibartik
01-18-2022, 07:49 PM
fuck i hated offspring when I was a kid, now I listen to it out of nostalgia but god damn I was like, this guy wears braids and his voice sounds like so dumb.

21st century digital boy does NOT get enough airtime.

Cecily
01-18-2022, 08:03 PM
My boy Fugazi never got the love he deserves
Had that song on repeat for most of December.

Swish
01-18-2022, 08:15 PM
Overrated: Van Halen, I just get C-c-c-c-yaa-yeah vibes from this awful band. Seriously, it sounds like they do a lot of cocaine. Fuck coke heads and 1980s rock in general. Most uninterestingly verbose group of pseudointellectuals I've had to suffer. It's fun to listen to someone smart coked out, but it's mostly dumbasses' brains overclocked. If I have to pick a drug influence for my music, just give me heroin.
Underrated: Queens of the Stone Age. You see can the influence of nicotine, valium, vicodine, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol. C-c-cocaine also.

Overrated: Offspring. I wish I spent less time listening to them as a teen.
Underrated: Bad Religion. I wish this was the band I associated punk music with instead of the Sex Pistols.

https://i.imgur.com/XUr0503.gif

Ooloo
01-18-2022, 09:00 PM
Josh Homme; infamous rockstar degenerate, is reportedly UNCOOL to his kids!

I liked qotsa before, when they were singing about injecting heroin into their eyes, but I draw the line at unwholesome influence on the kids. I don't even think I can like him anymore

DeathsSilkyMist
01-18-2022, 09:15 PM
I'd say Nine Inch Nails is underrated. Seeing them in concert is a pretty amazing experience. They are great showmen on top of being great musicians, and still going strong.

Imagine Dragons is definitely overrated. Worst part of the last few years was when Thunder was on all of the radio stations all the time. What a terrible song lol.

Topgunben
01-18-2022, 09:42 PM
most overrated band is the Beatles - all their music sucks. Pitted against other bands of the same era, they end up looking like Back Street Boys or NSync. Id also add Foo Fighters to the list, even though I somewhat like them.

Most underrated I think is Jethro Tull, and Stone Temple Pilots.

Skarne
01-18-2022, 09:43 PM

100% agree

https://youtu.be/eqWemOCwpHs

Tunabros
01-18-2022, 10:58 PM
Can't any of you people READ

The entire point of 'underrated' is they never had the mainstream success of a major band, but were WAY better

Example - Faith No More > Red Hot Chili Peppers

or

Mr. Bungle > Red Hot Chili Peppers

Underrated as in they should have been way more popular than they were

you said no obscure bands no one ever heard of

looks like you cant read

Elizondo
01-18-2022, 11:35 PM
you said no obscure bands no one ever heard of

looks like you cant read

lol bro you just trollin

Underrated bands are your "personal preference"

Anyways, hope you feel better bro

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 12:01 AM
The worst thing about the beetles is listening to someone after finding out you dont listen to the beetles.

F0rmsh1fter
01-19-2022, 12:06 AM
most overrated band is the Beatles

Yes

Tunabros
01-19-2022, 12:08 AM
Rules:

Underrated

2) Joy Division
3) Rainbow
4) Fate's Warning
5) Neurosis

F0rmsh1fter
01-19-2022, 12:08 AM
Joy division sucks ass and is a 4chin meme

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 12:13 AM
Rules:

Underrated

2) Joy Division
3) Rainbow
4) Fate's Warning
5) Neurosis

lol dude

it's my thread. i'm not sorry you can't read good and I don't want to get into a pointless squabble with you because you're in a bad mood.

No obscure bands nobody ever heard of. Most of the people you know like them or mindlessly bought their albums during the peak of their popularity because everyone else did.

Meaning a big band that everyone has heard pf and folks mindlessly bought the album because everyone else did

Any genre is fair game except Rap

Underrated meaning not a lot of people have heard of them, but they should have because they are great bands that deserved much more attention than they received. Enjoy your Creed and Nickleback albums man. No judgement here.

Cecily
01-19-2022, 12:22 AM
I don't want it to be illegal; therefore, it isn't. That's the way it works. (https://youtu.be/I0grFFAxySw?t=118)

Bardp1999
01-19-2022, 12:30 AM
Overrated:
George Straight
Journey
Imagine Dragons
Jimmy Buffet

Underrated:
A day to remember
Bring me the horizon

Reiwa
01-19-2022, 12:59 AM
100% agree

https://youtu.be/eqWemOCwpHs

Huh. Never knew AiC was a hair band.

Tunabros
01-19-2022, 01:13 AM
lol dude

it's my thread. i'm not sorry you can't read good and I don't want to get into a pointless squabble with you because you're in a bad mood.

Meaning a big band that everyone has heard pf and folks mindlessly bought the album because everyone else did

Underrated meaning not a lot of people have heard of them, but they should have because they are great bands that deserved much more attention than they received. Enjoy your Creed and Nickleback albums man. No judgement here.

Rules:

Kich867
01-19-2022, 01:14 AM
Overrated:
Nirvana

That's it. They weren't that good.

Cecily
01-19-2022, 01:45 AM
Can someone explain to me why these hipsters don't like Nirvana?

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 01:52 AM
I never understood the type of person who dislikes something everyone likes just because everyone likes it. Can someone explain to me why these hipsters don't like Nirvana?

I actually really like Nirvana, but IMO their best songs are not their most well known ones like Dive and Lounge Act

Some underrated bands that dudes like Tuna have never heard of cuz he was first in line for the latest Limp Bizkit and Lincoln Park album

Samhain
Gang Green
Mudhoney
Earth
Inverloch

Kich867
01-19-2022, 01:54 AM

Because grunge isn't that interesting of a genre. Sorry. I'm not that down to listen to some druggie drone on for 4 minutes mumbling in a monotone pitch and calling it music.

nostalgiaquest
01-19-2022, 02:46 AM

I think it was just before my time. I was 5 when nevermind came out and not very angsty yet. By the time I could have understood it, he had already killer himself, which then just further turned me off to their music.

I also took classical guitar lessons as a kid, and my purist teacher would always shit on nirvana’s musical skill, which I’m sure influenced my lil developing brain. But to this day I still think he was right. Other grunge bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and AiC, were far more proficient musicians.

Does anyone still actively listen to Nirvana? 20 years later and the Dirt album by AiC still gives me chills.

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 02:54 AM

because the music was only groundbreaking really and not that great in and of itself and instead of being cool for knowing about them it's lost all its appeal because every one of the worst scum of the earth twitch tiktok streamers who start their video with a 1 minuet self made commercial for 'humblebee: the dating app for professionals who dont have time to work' wear the concert shirts now and the idea that would make up the majority of his fanbase drove the frontman to kill himself before those types of people even existed.

Topgunben
01-19-2022, 03:16 AM
I still think Linkin Park is pretty bad ass. Lots of nostalgia listening to them. They were the real deal back when I was in high school 20 years ago (yeesh).

F0rmsh1fter
01-19-2022, 09:04 AM
I still think Linkin Park is pretty bad ass. Lots of nostalgia listening to them. They were the real deal back when I was in high school 20 years ago (yeesh).

Do you know about the child sex trafficking documentary Chester Bennington, Anthony bourdain, and Chris Cornell were working on?

Odd how they all allegedly killed themselves one after the other before it could be completed. Especially Bennington. He was found with a half empty bottle of vodka and zero alcohol in his system, and had been sober for years prior

rebeccablack
01-19-2022, 09:10 AM
this thread is depressing

Toxigen
01-19-2022, 10:27 AM
underrated for eq players

KsMKOx6fumc

lol

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 12:41 PM
this thread is depressing

Underrated: Friday Friday everyone gets down on Friday weekend weekend

robayon
01-19-2022, 12:53 PM
Do you know about the child sex trafficking documentary Chester Bennington, Anthony bourdain, and Chris Cornell were working on?

Odd how they all allegedly killed themselves one after the other before it could be completed. Especially Bennington. He was found with a half empty bottle of vodka and zero alcohol in his system, and had been sober for years priorI would like more information. I have heard some strange conspiracy stuff around Bourdain's relationship with Asia Argento and his guilt about possibly paying off some boy she had assaulted, but not this part

Ooloo
01-19-2022, 01:48 PM
Kind of a sidebar rant: I hate it when people compare pop artists as if they're all the same. Like they compare britney spears to lady gaga, which is ridiculous, lady gaga is actually legitimately talented as a songwriter and a vocalist. Or they think mariah carey is just ditzy empty pop, but in her prime she was amazing as a vocalist, and had some really talented producers writing these perfect songs for her. I mean who doesnt like Fantasy? Get real if you claim you don't.

Because I am so overwhelmingly secure in my history of staunch heterosexuality, I don't consider the above paragraph to be gay in the slightest. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 01:57 PM
Kind of a sidebar rant: I hate it when people compare pop artists as if they're all the same. Like they compare britney spears to lady gaga, which is ridiculous, lady gaga is actually legitimately talented as a songwriter and a vocalist. Or they think mariah carey is just ditzy empty pop, but in her prime she was amazing as a vocalist, and had some really talented producers writing these perfect songs for her. I mean who doesnt like Fantasy? Get real if you claim you don't.

Because I am so overwhelmingly secure in my history of staunch heterosexuality, I don't consider the above paragraph to be gay in the slightest. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Britney had way more talent than Lady Gaga in her prime bro

Not talkin about their music tho

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 02:03 PM
I would like more information. I have heard some strange conspiracy stuff around Bourdain's relationship with Asia Argento and his guilt about possibly paying off some boy she had assaulted, but not this part

theres a meme that was going around that said they were working on a film called the silent children, but I havent found anything that actually links them to the project myself, the producer of the film denies that they had anything to do with it. Though it'd be easy to pay off a producer. I'd like to see the phone and email records.

This is one I'd like to have proved the way danth wants that travel time issue with flat earth. I am still unable to comprehend why Anthony killed himself. A guy who says “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” kills himself in a bathroom with no note and nobody knows why. I just dont buy it.

Tunabros
01-19-2022, 02:31 PM

linkin park is S+

Toxigen
01-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Overrated:
George Straight

You take that back right now, mister!

Guy had like 50+ #1 songs.

NHxS8wlDngI

Now if you had said Garth Brooks I'd have maybe agreed.

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 02:43 PM
When I was a kid I hated rap and country equally but now I like them both.

Even someone who is racist against the human race can become a friend to it, surely the human race can get over their differences.

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 03:09 PM
Old Country is A+

This new wave pop country is absolutely terrible

Toxigen
01-19-2022, 03:10 PM
Old Country is A+

This new wave pop country is absolutely terrible

agreed

couple exceptions here and there (really enjoy Zac Brown Band, they are incredible live)

F0rmsh1fter
01-19-2022, 03:11 PM
When I was a kid I hated rap and country equally but now I like them both.

Even someone who is racist against the human race can become a friend to it, surely the human race can get over their differences.

Consider Benny the butcher and the black soprano family

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 03:12 PM
o1mcyj958HU

robayon
01-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Modernish countryish exceptions to a mostly bad genre: Sturgill Simpson, The Devil Makes Three, The Steeldrivers, Billy Strings

I also have sometimes have guilty pleasure listening to The Oak Ridge Boys and Mel McDaniel, but that ain't so modern.

Ooloo
01-19-2022, 04:24 PM
Britney had way more talent than Lady Gaga in her prime bro

Not talkin about their music tho

Well sure. Lady gaga is hot too it depends on what kind of meat costume she's wearing. I just feel bad for britney spears these days.

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 05:18 PM
God bless Jerry Reed, majorly underrated

IOgUaFkpS3Y

Ooloo
01-19-2022, 06:55 PM
Here's tommy emmanuel playing a song he wrote dedicated to jerry reed, I don't know why people think of this guy as a shred metal guitarist or something. He's just good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pA1uNcHUpk

Toxigen
01-19-2022, 07:03 PM
I know you said no rap but imo most underrated all time is Aesop Rock.

https://pudding.cool/projects/vocabulary/index.html

^^ neat little article / stats

https://i.imgur.com/l0RkoSE.png

yeah, hes at the very end of the spectrum

yeh6jhHLgtg

Ooloo
01-19-2022, 07:15 PM
Yeah but somebody is going to be at the end of that specific spectrum, that's not a measure of the quality of their music or their lyrics. It's like having a spectrum of which hiphop artist wore grey the most often. Eminem can rap faster than anyone (like in monster or rap god) but that doesn't make those songs enjoyable to listen to, cause they aren't. They kinda suck.

Elizondo
01-19-2022, 07:26 PM
I know you said no rap but imo most underrated all time is Aesop Rock.

https://pudding.cool/projects/vocabulary/index.html

^^ neat little article / stats

https://i.imgur.com/l0RkoSE.png

yeah, hes at the very end of the spectrum

yeh6jhHLgtg

Yea that's good stuff. I like early Nas (Illmatic), Cypress Hill and a lot of old school hip hop in general. Rap these days is just mumbling mixed with autotune that requires no talent

Toxigen
01-19-2022, 07:34 PM
Yeah but somebody is going to be at the end of that specific spectrum, that's not a measure of the quality of their music or their lyrics. It's like having a spectrum of which hiphop artist wore grey the most often. Eminem can rap faster than anyone (like in monster or rap god) but that doesn't make those songs enjoyable to listen to, cause they aren't. They kinda suck.

agreed, but its an interesting metric

Jibartik
01-19-2022, 07:53 PM

when it comes to poetry I prefer the person who is better with words than the guy who wore more grey.

robayon
01-19-2022, 08:20 PM
Tech N9ne!!!

Cecily
02-06-2022, 04:57 PM
Queenadreena

nostalgiaquest
02-06-2022, 05:21 PM
if we get to talk about rap to resurrect the thread then Bone Thugs N Harmony is my shit. Everyone knows crossroads, but their entire discography is great, and I don't think they get the long term respect they deserve.

Being a suburban white kid in the 90s/00's I didn't care much for rap. But then I heard the song Notorious Thugs with Biggie and I was like hoooly shit. Been a fan ever since. They were my gateway into rap. This song still gives me nostalgic chills listening to it now.

N6XhzXB3oY8

lividimp
02-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Joy Division is one of the most important bands in all of music history. I wouldn't even say they are underrated. It's god tier music that get recognized as such within the community of serious music nerds. It's only within the mainstream that people don't know who they are, and even that has been changing over the last 15-20 years. I suppose you don't know who the Velvet Underground are either? Great band doesn't always equate to popular band. And being that you are here at P99 you should already instinctively know this. If popularity really did equate to quality, then even EQ at it's peak, would have been on the lower tier of MMOs of all time. WoW got big population numbers because it was the easy-listening of MMOs, not because it was a superior game.

robayon
02-22-2022, 11:59 PM
RIP Mark Lanegan :(

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mark-lanegan-screaming-trees-dead-obituary-1311045/