PDA

View Full Version : Monk Wrists question

Arior Windcaller
12-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Hey fellow monks got a question for you

I've been lusting over a SWC for sometime now. I have my ring (won angry) and have someone with a sinew ready to MQ with me...or I can go hunt my own Sinew whatever wont take long.

Now I am just at the point where I have to save up for an urn. There is no way I can hunt the urn myself.

Here is where my question comes in. I have a Fungi that I was considering selling to help fund it, I also have a wrist guard of thunder that I can sell to help fund it. But that leaves me with an empty wrist slot.

My other wrist is the PoSky wrist right now (back straps of mastery)

I want the SWC to go into the shoulder slot cause lets be honest that is a pretty thin slot for monks.

But if I sell the Wrist Guard of Thunder then I am now missing a wrist slot. Is it worth putting the SWC in the wrist slot until I get, like a Bracer of Benevolence (ugh I really don't want to deal with the RNG jesus but I will)

Or do I go for the Ton Po's sky shoulder slot to keep the SWC there?

Is it worth just keeping the wrist guard and slowing saving up for a drusilla urn?

Thoughts?

DeathsSilkyMist
12-23-2021, 11:22 PM
Honestly SWC isn't that great of an item. Its just overhyped due to it being a non-raid AoB and 100 HP item. I wouldn't sell anything and just save up the money, it won't make your life any better than what you currently have.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-24-2021, 12:52 AM
To elaborate a bit:

1. If you sell your Fungi, you will have more downtime with SWC than Fungi when soloing. In groups, Fungi is still superior for when you need to recover after a failed pull. You are losing 13 HP/Tick to gain 100ish HP, which isn't a great trade-off when you realize you won't be at full HP most of the time anyway, so the max HP isn't doing much for you. Max HP is best utilized in high risk scenarios, where your whole HP bar can be dropped quickly, and you need a bit extra to hopefully survive. Unless your playstyle mostly deals in those scenarios, the Fungi is better.

2. Stat-wise the Wrist Guard of Thunder isn't that far off from an SWC, minus the AoB. Your Wrist Guard of Thunder gives 10 STR, so ATK wise you aren't that far off, unless you are STR capped with buffs. Your Fungi is giving you more regen, so when you combine Fungi + Wrist Guard of Thunder you end up in a better spot. The only thing you are missing is the 60ish HP from SWC, after you subtract the 50HP from Wrist Guard of Thunder.

In conclusion, there is no real need to strip your character to get SWC, as you lose power overall. It will obviously be a good addition to your gear set whenever you save up enough plat, but it isn't a game changer. If you were talking about selling your Fungi for something like Torpor, that would be different, as Torpor changes your character way more than Fungi. Obviously you are a Monk, so Torpor doesn't apply, but I hope you get my point in terms of properly gauging what kind of item is worth stripping your character for, and what kind of item isn't. SWC falls into the latter category.

EDIT: The only scenario where selling off large chunks of your character may make sense is if you are the kind of player who can make hundreds of thousands of plat in a relatively short period of time. In that scenario jumping on buying an urn when one is available may be beneficial, as supply tends to be quite limited. This opportunistic purchase may save you time in the long run, and you can just make the money back. But in this scenario, selling your Wrist Guard of Thunder would be counter-intuitive, as it is rarer than urn, so you may end up wasting more time trying to buy it back later. If you could make money hand over fist, however, I imagine you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place:)

Croco
12-24-2021, 01:00 AM
Depends what you have to replace the fungi with, I sold mine for that exact reason and just used my pog chest and barely noticed that the fungi was gone.

I say get the cords for your shoulder and go to scout rolls for wrists.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-24-2021, 01:10 AM
Depends what you have to replace the fungi with, I sold mine for that exact reason and just used my pog chest and barely noticed that the fungi was gone.

I say get the cords for your shoulder and go to scout rolls for wrists.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are better chest pieces than Fungi, especially once you hit 60. But selling a Wrist Guard of Thunder and a Fungi for a SWC specifically is a bad trade off stat-wise. He doesn't have a replacement for the wrist, so he would just be losing 13 HP Regen to gain a bit of max HP. Even if OP just got an amazing chest, Fungi on swap would still be better than losing Fungi + Wrist Guard of Thunder for SWC.

I can understand the item lust is driving you to make rash decisions, but resist it. SWC really is overhyped:)

myrddraal
12-24-2021, 08:58 AM
Honestly SWC isn't that great of an item. Its just overhyped due to it being a non-raid AoB and 100 HP item. I wouldn't sell anything and just save up the money, it won't make your life any better than what you currently have.

its the only 100 hp arm slot. In terms of monk wrists there is SBOS, Silver charm, and the dragonskin bracelet so they have more options than most.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-24-2021, 12:05 PM
its the only 100 hp arm slot. In terms of monk wrists there is SBOS, Silver charm, and the dragonskin bracelet so they have more options than most.

Yes, and 100HP items aren't great by themselves:) That is why it is overrated, you spend something like 200k for it, and for most players 200k would go farther elsewhere.

If OP is a hardcore raider with many 100 HP items, it would make more sense to try and get 100 HP items in all slots for the high HP bragging rights and benifits. Otherwise, you are spending 200k for no reason, and getting basically nothing for it. You can't even trade it across toons.

An individual 100HP item doesn't take you far because you could most likely spend the 200k to upgrade multiple slots, which would give you more than 100 HP and other stats/benefits.

Ripqozko
12-24-2021, 12:24 PM
Get 1 bob, keep wrist, get str of elements, farm plat to get cords for arms.

Croco
12-24-2021, 12:51 PM
BoB is arguably better than KT wrist, more MR, almost as much ac, nice stam, almost as much raw hps. It's only worse if you are max stam which I'm assuming isn't the case. Either way I wouldn't do anything until you have 1 or 2 BoB's. That's the best place to start imo. If you have a great chest like a leather bp from HoT or growth I would say you're good to ditch the fungi. Though if you're human you might not want to. Speaking as an iksar that sold my fungi a long time ago I virtually never miss it.

SS leather arms and cords in shoulder is a great setup until you can get a shoulder item like strength of the elements, shawl of protection, or pauldrons of the deep flame. Once you figure out what your wrist situation looks like when/if you sell the KT wrist then I would start thinking about the Urn. If at that point you can find a MQ under 200k I would go for it. Or maybe just find a couple friends and neckbeard out and camp your own urns.

You have many options to get to the end result you're looking for.

Arior Windcaller
12-25-2021, 01:30 AM
Ok well all great answers thank you!

I have a SS leather BP that I just need to turn in (I'm being lazy I hate that damned run)

Part of the problem is, I'm a casual raider. I'm not in one of the big 3 (on blue). I'm a proud member of Lighthouse. So some of those higher end items that y'all are referring too, simply out of reach :(

Honestly my monk spends MOST of his time raiding. I don't have many friends who have the same playtime as I do that can group up and go farm fun stuff. So the monk gets ignored usually and I go level another toon.

Until I won the angry roll, now I'm sitting at felwithe guards all day trying to grind out PP haha

Sounds like losing the KT bracer is more hassle then gain. Someone said the 200k can be better used for other slots. That's also not a bad thought. Buying an ST key and buying LRs to some of the priceless gear on there is probably a better use of my time and money.

Thanks guys for the info!! If you have more to share please by all means I appreciate the help!!

Toxigen
12-26-2021, 10:02 AM
start an alt, park monk at scouf chorizo

level alt

win roll 2x

go back to monk

Leopaz
01-05-2022, 02:34 PM
nah you totally want SWC. sell me your wrist guard of thunder!

wagorf
01-07-2022, 01:11 AM
Yes, and 100HP items aren't great by themselves:) That is why it is overrated, you spend something like 200k for it, and for most players 200k would go farther elsewhere.

If OP is a hardcore raider with many 100 HP items, it would make more sense to try and get 100 HP items in all slots for the high HP bragging rights and benifits. Otherwise, you are spending 200k for no reason, and getting basically nothing for it. You can't even trade it across toons.

An individual 100HP item doesn't take you far because you could most likely spend the 200k to upgrade multiple slots, which would give you more than 100 HP and other stats/benefits.

This guy spits the truth. Good advice that's tailored to the OP's situation.

Heywood
04-05-2022, 02:03 PM
Anyone who says 100 HP items arent great for monks, clearly doesnt play monk.

That being said, i don't rate wrist guard of thunder much. It's a nicer BoB, but not by much.

I'd rather have 2 BoBs and a swc, than 1 BoB, 1 wrist guard of thunder and no swc.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-08-2022, 01:22 AM
Anyone who says 100 HP items arent great for monks, clearly doesnt play monk.

That being said, i don't rate wrist guard of thunder much. It's a nicer BoB, but not by much.

I'd rather have 2 BoBs and a swc, than 1 BoB, 1 wrist guard of thunder and no swc.

Anyone who thinks a single 100 HP item is game changing hasn't played P99:)

I didn't say 100HP items are bad for monks. SWC simply isn't going to help OP with how much he needs to sacrifice.

And your preference of 2 BoBs and a SWC is much easier said than done. For most people that is a ton of time and money, and the returns aren't that great. Better to just spend the time raiding to get raid teir wrists at that point.

Jimjam
04-08-2022, 03:16 AM
Holy threadromany!!

Arior Windcaller how did you solve the issue? I saw some one wearing a dragon skin bracelet yesterday. It looks pretty fun - especially if you have some red pants to couple it. Did you get one pf those? boBs? Lettuce snow! �� ❄️

Heywood
04-08-2022, 10:09 AM
Anyone who thinks a single 100 HP item is game changing hasn't played P99:)

I didn't say 100HP items are bad for monks. SWC simply isn't going to help OP with how much he needs to sacrifice.

And your preference of 2 BoBs and a SWC is much easier said than done. For most people that is a ton of time and money, and the returns aren't that great. Better to just spend the time raiding to get raid teir wrists at that point.

Who said anything about game changing? Nice strawman argument.

100 hp items are great for monks. It let's you take more hits when pulling/tagging and it means your mend heals for a lot more. Those aren't the only reasons, but they're probably two of the bigger benefits of having more HP.

BoBs are a hell of a lot easier to come by than a wrist guard (unless you buy one). It's a slight upgrade to a BoB. So OP, do yourself a favor and don't listen to silkymist. Guy doesn't seem to play a 60 monk. Take it from someone who's played a monk longer than he's been on p99, BoBs and SWC is the way to go. Stack your HP items and you'll be probably be better than 70% of the monks out there.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-08-2022, 10:24 AM
Who said anything about game changing? Nice strawman argument.

If the item isn't game changing, why should OP spend 200k and lose his Fungi Regen? I am not sure why you are pushing OP to get SWC if your definition of "great" is really just "ok". You can't have it both ways. Most people can't afford to spend 200k on something that isn't a vast improvement, and SWC is not a vast improvement at all.

100 hp items are great for monks. It let's you take more hits when pulling/tagging and it means your mend heals for a lot more. Those aren't the only reasons, but they're probably two of the bigger benefits of having more HP.

Again, no one said 100 HP items are bad for Monks. Nice strawman!:D I said SWC is overrated (it is), and not worth getting for most players, including OP.

BoBs are a hell of a lot easier to come by than a wrist guard (unless you buy one.

Not really. You can wait months to get a single BoB if you are unlucky on the rolls. To top it off, getting to WW isn't easy, and requires a port for a melee toon unless you spend the money to get a locket bind at ToV. It takes quite a bit of effort to get a toon you are actively playing over there every day. You could indeed just park your toon there, but that means potentially not playing the character for months.

SWC is also a pain in the neck in terms of rolls and the spirit wracked urn.

Overall you are spending quite a bit of time for a very small reward with BoBs, and you are spending even more time on SWC, or 200k (which for most people takes a lot of time to get back).

So OP, do yourself a favor and don't listen to silkymist. Guy doesn't seem to play a 60 monk. Take it from someone who's played a monk longer than he's been on p99, BoBs and SWC is the way to go. Stack your HP items and you'll be probably be better than 70% of the monks out there.

Play time does not mean you understand the game. If you think SWC is something OP should strip his character for, you need to play the game more.

Heywood
04-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Again, no one said 100 HP items are bad for Monks. Nice strawman!:D

Wait are you serious...

Yes, and 100HP items aren't great by themselves:) That is why it is overrated...

youre literally saying they're not great.. I'm saying they are. Only difference is, ive said plenty of times that i play a monk, and you havent. I'm sure this is all lost on you though, so hopefully OP doesnt heed your advice. For his sake.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-08-2022, 11:24 AM
Wait are you serious...

youre literally saying they're not great.. I'm saying they are. Only difference is, ive said plenty of times that i play a monk, and you havent. I'm sure this is all lost on you though, so hopefully OP doesnt heed your advice. For his sake.

Lol you might want to read the next two words, which are "by themselves". I said "100 HP items are not great by themsleves". 100HP items are great when you stack 10 of them.

Stripping your character and 200k from your bank to get a single 100HP item is not great. Why? You could get more HP from upgrading multiple slots with that same 200k. Its basic math hehe. Spend 200k for 100 HP, or 200k for more than 100HP? I know what I would choose:)

The problem with 100HP items is they are all very expensive, so typically they are not worth it until you are basically at the point where they are your only upgrade option, and it takes a LONG time for most people to get to that gear stage.

Keebz
04-08-2022, 01:59 PM
Get 1 bob, keep wrist, get str of elements, farm plat to get cords for arms.

This is the way.

I will say Zlex wrist is also relatively obtainable if you do NToV. I find it hard to do Scout Roll on characters I actually play, but it's possible, esp. if you don't thrash your CoV faction every week. So if you do NToV it might be simpler to get Zlex wrist, but if not BoB is there for you.

Also, SWC is for the arms not the shoulders. Strength of Elements isn't too hard to get. Iki and HoT arms are totally fine in the meantime. Work towards SWC slowly by farming fungi's or what have you. Disclaimer: I'm on Green and can't get SWC yet.