PDA

View Full Version : The Sullon Zek Server ruleset is THE best EQ PvP ruleset for Red1999

Kimm Barely
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
:D

The Sullon Zek Server (Deity based team PvP)

The Sullon Zek server is a new server with a new rule set. The rules for this server are very different than those on any other EverQuest server. In general the server is based on the concept of a PvP teams server, like Tallon and Vallon Zek, but with the teams chosen based on which god the character worships rather than the race of the character.

Sullon Zek rules:

1. Player v. Player (PvP) combat can occur between any characters that are not on the same team, regardless of level. A level 50 character can attack and kill a level 6 character if that character is not a member of his alliance. But rules 2 and 3 apply.

2. Characters will be immune to PvP combat until they have gained enough strength to survive the struggle. Characters below 6th level are not able to participate in PvP combat, unless they stray from city and newbie zones. As soon as a character 'dings' into 6th level he or she will become PvP enabled.

3. Characters will lose experience when killed in PvP combat if the character that killed them is within 5 levels. The amount of experience lost will be the same amount that is lost if that character is killed by an NPC. Your corpse can be resurrected by a cleric to partially restore lost experience.

4. Characters will only be able to loot coins from other characters, and then only if the victim was within 5 levels of the killer. Only the character getting the killing blow will be able to loot the corpse.

5. Players may only have one character at a time on this server. This means that you will have to delete the existing character in order to create a new one. Because we are introducing a new class and a new race with the release of Shadows of Luclin we plan to make allowances at that time for those that wish to explore these new characters.

6. Characters will not be able to group with anyone that is not on their Deity Team.

7. Characters will not be able to invite someone to join their guild that is not on their Deity Team.

8. Combat skills' effective value is capped at 2 levels above a players current level.

9. Resistance debuff spells have a 50% increased effectiveness against player characters.

10. /consider returns only three kinds of results when used against player characters. 'Green' means that the character is below your range. 'White' or 'black' means that the character is within your range. 'Red' means that they are above your range. 'In range' means +/- 5 levels.

11. /consider will also display a message indicating what team the target is on. Members of your own team will be displayed as an 'ally'.

12. Faction hits for PvP will be taken for killing characters within their racial home towns. Killing a human in any human starting city will cause a faction loss with the locals. Freeport, Qeynos and Surefall Glade are considered starting cities for humans. All of Greater Faydark and Felwithe are considered the starting city for all elves (high elves and wood elves), except dark elves. Paineel and Erudin are both starting cities for erudites, and killing one in either city (regardless of their place of origin) will result in a faction loss with that city. Other cities are not considered home towns, despite being run and controlled by a certain race. For example, HighHold is not a human home town. Thurgadin is not a dwarven home town.

13. Rules such as the Play Nice Policy do not apply to this server. Characters have the ability on this server to deal with their conflicts through combat. Causing experience loss by 'training' NPCs on other characters is not an offense that would warrant a warning this server. HOWEVER: All rules regarding general decency still apply. Cursing, threats and other such things will be dealt with sternly, and are still unacceptable behavior on any PvP server.

14. Beneficial effects can not be used on members of another team.

15. No character will be able to bind in dungeon zones.

16. 'Buff' spells will not affect characters more than 20 levels lower than the spell level. Existing spell restrictions on spells over 50th level will supercede this rule.

17. There will be 'insignia' dropped on the corpses of characters over 20th level that are killed by another character. We plan to allow those to be turned in for a reward of some sort. What that reward will be is undetermined at this time, but we are leaning towards a team reward rather than a personal reward.

18. Naked corpses will disappear when looted by a player character. If you are naked and killed by a player character, your corpse will disappear when it is looted.

The 'Teams':

The Good Alliance consists of: Erollisi Marr, Mithaniel Marr, Rodcet Nife, Quellious, Tunare
The Evil Alliance consists of: Bertoxxulous, Cazic Thule, Innoruuk, Rallos Zek
The Neutral Alliance consists of: Brell Serilis, Bristlebane, Karana, Prexus, Solusek Ro, The Tribunal, Veeshan.

There are no Agnostics on Sullon Zek. With the new influence of the gods, those that had not declared for one deity or another have been killed. Everyone now worships a deity, if not out of respect, love or fear of the god, then out of fear for their lives at the hands of fanatics.
Barbarian Shaman and Warriors can choose to worship Mithaniel Marr. Mithaniel Marr was unwilling to abandon all of the noble barbarians that served the good, and many declared themselves in favor of an alliance with Good.
Monks will be able to worship Veeshan. The Temple in Qeynos has discovered some ancient writings that opened up new avenues.
We will be including a method for the Good and Neutral teams to use Summon Corpse or something similar.

Dojii
06-09-2011, 06:10 PM
It wouldn't work. In order to have a PVP server you need at least like 50 active players. VZTZ in its last months could barely scrounge up that.

Grief and unfair PVP will kill a population quicker than anything. Now that we're kind of pooling the VZTZ community with the P99 community, and I guess "trying" to get a new server up and running, its going to have to be a server where those P99 players, as well as any new players, come to experience EQ PVP. And getting shit on at level 6 by a level 50 isn't an experience I think anyone is looking forward to.

When Red99 comes out if and when, population will be around 200-300 I guestimate and it won't be a hardcore server. It will be a fair, evenly balanced, solid box. Or no box at all.

wehrmacht
06-09-2011, 07:25 PM
It wouldn't work. In order to have a PVP server you need at least like 50 active players. VZTZ in its last months could barely scrounge up that.

Because TZVZ wasn't fun to play on due to all the differences from EQ live PvP so most people quit:

1) Allowing 2 boxing makes PvP terrible. Attacking people that are dragging macroquest healer mules behind them all day is ridiculous.

2) Casters are already the best PvP class pre-Kunark and TZVZ staff not only put in several caster improvements but also a melee damage nerf on top of that during the <Heresy> vs <Fish Bait> era.

3) You could channel gate with 30 people attacking you (yes, seriously, 30, I did it multiple times) so casters really never had to die if they didn't want to = terrible balance

4) AC did nothing so warriors and mages tanked the same in PvP so a mage gets cleric buffs and has warrior HP while doing 20x their dps

Dojii
06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
When I started playing VZTZ in 2009 end of 2009 ish... there was 150-200 players average active. there was 3 wipes between 2009-2011. upwards of 1000+ toons deleted, VZTZ community lost population mainly due to inconsistent server status.

But yea those factors as well.

Just need a nice code, consistent staff, fair PVP balance and they could have a good box running right here out of this community. If they dropped a Classic box right now it'd hit population 100+ ezpz.

Main thing is just knowing your pixels will be there the next day hahah.... which under VZTZ rule was, living under the threat of being deleted at any moment. Not that it wasn't fun... had great times.

Kimm Barely
06-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Grief and unfair PVP will kill a population quicker than anything. Now that we're kind of pooling the VZTZ community with the P99 community, and I guess "trying" to get a new server up and running, its going to have to be a server where those P99 players, as well as any new players, come to experience EQ PVP. And getting shit on at level 6 by a level 50 isn't an experience I think anyone is looking forward to.

When Red99 comes out if and when, population will be around 200-300 I guestimate and it won't be a hardcore server. It will be a fair, evenly balanced, solid box. Or no box at all.

You mad...? BRO?

fiegi
06-09-2011, 08:23 PM
vztz had the capability of being a really really good server. was great while it lasted. unfortunately like dohii said the wipes really murdered the population base. I do not believe like some say "the hacks" ruined the server, it wasn't that bad and tbh were playing a 13 year old game, ur gonna have to deal with it regardless. The bigger problem I noticed was the GM selections. Thats the single most important thing for any new or old server. So many shitty and crooked gm's were selected on vztz, not even mentioning Keegan, who would log into game not even knowing the ruleset and ban people which is laughable (gasp yes i know he paid the crazy 100$ amount to host the box a month).

People will come and play regardless of the rules. People won't last as long as the gm's suck. Lets just hope Rogean can find a few good men who can keep things clean.

Dojii
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
You mad...? BRO?

No i'm not mad, and I really respect your ideas. I just know how PVP servers work and what stimulates growth and what has destroyed it in the past.

On live towards the end of the good PVP I was fighting ppl straight /stick hacking on Ebay'd toons. Thats how disgraceful, but serious people became over PVP that they wouldn't sometimes even level their own toons. They would purchase them from blue servers, then transfer them to Zek, then hack their asses off. I questioned them why they even came to PVP because that's not PVP at all. Its nerd rage.

Nevertheless I believe all in all the last of the PVPr's truly prevailed over the Ebay/Hack squad. They would rage when we'd beat them in sometimes their better gear (which in some episodes was much greater than what we could get on Zek) and inspite of them hacking. We crunched all over them.

I'm not afraid of SZ rules bro. I've flourished and survived in what I would consider much harsher conditions.

You'll never see EQPVP during Seeds of Destruction, Prophecy of Ro, The Buried Sea; etc, etc, it was great PVP, great sagas but......... always comes down to one thing. Population. And if we want a good PVP server we have to think of what would be best for the population.

Its not going to be the more complex, and dynamic content of later expansions. Its going to be Classic, Kunark, - Velious. Obv right but... yea anyways I hope you catch my drift.

I personally thought and still think the Good, Nuetral, Evil faction idea was quite the revolutionary way to go for a PVP game. That was born on SZ. And I don't think it has been repeated in any other MMO. Just good and evil factions.

anyways, I digress. Its good that you give your input because when and if it does come down to it-- hell there might be 3 or 4 server ideas we'll have to beta test to find which will be the right one. But its going to have to be supported by a "large" or substantially built community, or its just going to be 10 nerds dual boxing. Griefing and trolling the shit out of eachother.

wehrmacht
06-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Sullon Zek is best because it comes with theme song performed by bi-pedal, mutant, warthog singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_QntXc-c4

mitic
06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
sullon zek, what else?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7LeZ3iso8-I/TeTfqlgjwXI/AAAAAAAAB2Y/3sITXwx42Lw/s1600/nespresso001%255B1%255D.jpg

Rust1d?
06-10-2011, 08:43 AM
VZ/TZ failed for a few reasons.

1) Wipes. No one knew when a wipe would occur and to play a toon all the way up to 50 or 60 only to have the box wiped sucked. I played on box 2.0 and only played a month on 3.0 because I did not want to waste my time.

2) Hacks. Sorry but people had them. Did not make the server fun at all.

3) Item loot. This resulted in naked casters running around (I was one of them) All I needed was my pet and a DD so having great gear did not make a huge difference.

I am ALL FOR this Sullen Zek ruleset. I like that there is no level resriction, but you do not get rewarded for killing noobs. I also like the idea that instead of item loot, you can collect insignias and trade them for items when you have enough. This makes it so you have to be pretty good at pvp, not just get the last shot on someone fighting a mob making it a one and done deal.

lindz
10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
My fav ruleset personally. This is the one I would choose for sure. I like the freedom that FFA pvp brings and the no xp loss if they are not within 5 levels makes it far less frustrating if high levels feel like ganking lowbies.

I'm sorry but VZ/TZ rules were retarded. Immune healers is the stupidest concept and ruins pvp.

I also hate item loot. I personally like wearing gear. :p

valithteezee
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
SULLON ZEK NEVER GONNA HAPPEN BRO'S

http://www.discaffinity.com/images/covers/13617.jpg

Galacticus
10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Problem with Sullon Zek is teams.

Teams suck because it allows there to be jackasses who are on your team you cant pvp.

Why do you want it hard coded that people cant kill you or you cant kill them?

Join a guild for your security.

lethdar
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I played on sz, i believe sz would be the best ruleset should the server have 2,000 people + like sz had.

This server won't. FFA.

Galacticus
10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
I played on sullon too. The issue is server population. If you have 600 active players, there would be 200 of them you couldn't pvp against.

Thats a shitty deal on a pvp server.

Plus there are assholes and idiots and bad players you are stuck with because they are on your team, because they picked some trivial god.

Its like letting the government dictates who will be your neighborhood.

I live in America, I want to choose my own fucking neighborhood.

FREEDOM!!

beentheredonethat
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
any exp loss in pvp would be a huge deterrent for me. I played on Rallos, rallos rules (minus item loot) I liked.

Evoken
10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I want the SZ ruleset. It is the best ruleset. Being bindcamped by reds of your race/starting area is not really fun pvp.

Softcore PK
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
SZ had lowest population of all pvp servers for a reason..

Bockscar
10-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Is this a troll? Sullon Zek was retarded. I played there for years and it was the worst designed server in the history of MMORPGs. A lot of awesome PvP happened on that server, but it happened despite the ruleset, not because of it. The quality of the PvP (in the beginning, that is - the PvP was shit after PoP) had to do with the type of players that were on SZ. Everything else was a failure.

1. Player v. Player (PvP) combat can occur between any characters that are not on the same team, regardless of level. A level 50 character can attack and kill a level 6 character if that character is not a member of his alliance.

The most retarded thing ever. Being able to kill someone 50 levels below you can by definiton not serve any purpose other than griefing. One-shotting newbies in Crushbone is not PvP.

3. Characters will lose experience when killed in PvP combat if the character that killed them is within 5 levels. The amount of experience lost will be the same amount that is lost if that character is killed by an NPC. Your corpse can be resurrected by a cleric to partially restore lost experience.

Alright, that wasn't so bad. Didn't really affect anything much because you lost so little XP from any death on SZ. I seem to remember losing like one blue from deaths even at 60+, whether PvP or PvE. I never even bothered asking anyone for a rez if I wasn't grouped with a cleric.

5. Players may only have one character at a time on this server. This means that you will have to delete the existing character in order to create a new one. Because we are introducing a new class and a new race with the release of Shadows of Luclin we plan to make allowances at that time for those that wish to explore these new characters.

That limitation was removed after a while. The inability to make an alt serves no purpose other than to make you burn out faster. It would be completely pointless here because accounts are free.

6. Characters will not be able to group with anyone that is not on their Deity Team.

7. Characters will not be able to invite someone to join their guild that is not on their Deity Team.

This was retarded and only resulted in the inevitable: one team ruled unchallenged, one team was sort of in the middle, and one team was worthless. It completely destroyed any chance of competitiveness. Teams will never be equal in any MMORPG, and it was only made worse by the fact that the teams didn't have access to the same classes.

9. Resistance debuff spells have a 50% increased effectiveness against player characters.

That was actually good and they should implement that here. Doesn't really have anything to do with what defined SZ.

13. Rules such as the Play Nice Policy do not apply to this server. Characters have the ability on this server to deal with their conflicts through combat. Causing experience loss by 'training' NPCs on other characters is not an offense that would warrant a warning this server. HOWEVER: All rules regarding general decency still apply. Cursing, threats and other such things will be dealt with sternly, and are still unacceptable behavior on any PvP server.

This can never really be enforced anyway. Excessive training should be policed because of how abusive it is, but shit like LnS is up to the playerbase. I remember getting suspended for a week for saying ****** in the trade channel while 80% the server got away with blatantly hacking for years.

All in all, Sullon Zek lasted a year or two and then it became a joke of a server where PvP was pointless because you were either automatically winning because you picked team evil or you were two expansions behind because you didn't. It was a failed experiment.

Toomuch
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
IMO the reasons Sullon failed were:
1: the GM's/Dev's no longer cared, pve development was where the money was at and where the bulk of the paying population needed GM attention. GM's weren't there to watch the server, and Dev's made changes that messed up pvp, but nothing was tweaked/fixed until too late.

2: hacking was blatent, rampant, and nearly unchecked.

3: 1 shot one kills with AA's ruined pvp in general. That is not PvP, it's PvCooldown, which you can spend AA's on to reduce the duration of the cooldown.

Any 1 of those 3 is a surefire recipe for a lower population, let alone a combination of 2, or in the case of Sullon, it was all 3. There are plenty of people out there that want some hardcore competition, but when people have no chance (Macroquest-warping DA rez-box training into safe zones), that's not competition anymore. There is literally nothing you can do but not play against it. Hence, population leaves.

My Suggestion - In order for this to not be too brutal, but somewhere between the Sullon ruleset and what it looks like Rogean is going for:

1. I'd love hardcoded teams like Sullon. It adds a real dynamic when you HAVE to depend on your team, even if they are shitheads. Sometimes they come through for you, and you earn/gain a lot of respect. The battles won in this type of ruleset I will never forget, the most epic and fulfilling pvp experience I've ever had on any game, no contest whatsoever. If this is voted down, I understand. People say "just guild up" though it's not the same. Anyways, this isn't my primary point.

2. To find a balance of the griefing and out of level range help: +- 10 levels you can kill them (or be killed), period. +-5 levels you can take their coin and it causes experience death. Both deaths are along the lines of what already exists in beta with the pvp death buff. Insignias for reward would be an enjoyable twist, not necessary to implement at the start.

3. Training is indeed part of what ruined Sullon, which so many people (who played it) really did consider the best ruleset. Training needs to be moderated and out, it's what will damage the population, and that's what we're worried about here if we want this to be a successful server.

4. I'm late for work on my lunch. Damnet I'm getting sucked in again, but this could be so much fun :) I hope my suggestions can be looked at and given serious consideration, I truly believe they would be best.

Muaar
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
vztz seemed like a scheme to get donations from a desperate playerbase and steal them to me. sad I ever got to 50 on that server and glad I never donated.

Bockscar
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
vztz seemed like a scheme to get donations from a desperate playerbase and steal them to me. sad I ever got to 50 on that server and glad I never donated.

I'm glad you posted that. It's extremely relevant to this discussion.

Muaar
10-03-2011, 04:27 PM
as your quote and response suggests

Kevynne
02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
just saying;

on SZ there was a bug they never fixed where HIE CLRs could worship veeshan. (I know that seems like kind of game changing with SZ ruleset and all but it really wasn't, just ran to steamfont/kaladim and live there.... and now that I think about it, they fixed it when they merged the Zeks)

If I can find proof of other hie clrs from SZ that had veesh as their deity I will, but until than I just have my word for it. Hell, my cleric on SZ(which i got transferred to RZ) was named Veeshaan for a reason.

Sickpuppy
02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
What the fucks wall of text

Loli Pops
07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Ohai

Tomato King6
07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
TLDR