PDA

View Full Version : just watched DUNE last night

Tunabros
10-22-2021, 02:08 PM
It was alright.

A ton of things got left out from the book

If you never read the book, youll be scratching your head like 90 percent of the time

imagined the world to look a lot different tbh

music was 7/10

should watch it!

Skarne
10-22-2021, 02:18 PM
I thought it was fantastic

starkind
10-22-2021, 02:58 PM
I heard it was good and a great twist on modern pulp politics.

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 03:04 PM
Bro watch foundation! I put that on instead and whoa momma was I pleased!!

starkind
10-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Ya. My apple TV isn't hooked up. That's the thing stopping me.

Tunabros
10-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Ya. My apple TV isn't hooked up. That's the thing stopping me.

imagine not using HBO max

starkind
10-22-2021, 03:13 PM
I use my brothers Netflix. And have paramount or cbs plus.

My housemate has hulu.

My mom has hbo and starz I think thru Amazon.

It's a major effort to figure all this out tho.

Chortles Snortles
10-22-2021, 05:09 PM
Can’t wait take my wife and two girlfriends to see it

Trexller
10-22-2021, 05:37 PM
just open an Amazon prime store card, you get like every single service that prime streams on the higher tier card, on top of the other prime card benefits.

you're already gonna buy amazon's shit, you should get something else in return.

Skarne
10-22-2021, 05:38 PM
That used to work, but prime stopped housing HBO. Gotta get a max subscription now.

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 06:02 PM
I am shilling for foundation because i stole it!

starkind
10-22-2021, 06:09 PM
That used to work, but prime stopped housing HBO. Gotta get a max subscription now.

I'm guessing it'll launch as a rental pretty soon. I don't feel like subbing to yet another service.

Even if the rental cost is the same as a 1 month sub. I'd rather have the 3rd party option.

I miss hanging out at blockbuster like when I was a kid too.

Skarne
10-22-2021, 06:20 PM
I feel ya. I also miss blockbuster 8(

loramin
10-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Bro watch foundation! I put that on instead and whoa momma was I pleased!!

From what I've read it's not Foundation ... it's a Star Wars-wannabe TV show named after Foundation: Foundation Just Became Star Wars, and It Sucks (https://gizmodo.com/foundation-just-became-star-wars-and-it-sucks-1847918368).

bomaroast
10-22-2021, 10:36 PM
Ya, I re-read the first two books in the Foundation series in anticipation for the show and I'm spending most of my time watching the show in disbelief. wut

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 10:54 PM
I am actually shocked that this show was his though because usually his books have characters that are super boring and have no interesting people in it at all, but this movie is full of them!

It's really good though, the visuals are like Infinity War quality

If you like starwars, or startrek, or dune, then you have no reason not to like this, at least the first two episodes.

I felt that way about raised by wolves at first, but by the time the season ended it was pretty much in alien convenant territory.

Perhaps as time goes on I will like this show less but so far it's prety damn awesome and the only thing that I think you could say against it is that the dialogue isn't pretentious and it's super accessible so it's easy to feel like you're above it if you like Bladerunner.

I also think if you had a specific vision of what the books should be and go into the movie like that then welcome to earth because that has never worked out well for anyone.

bomaroast
10-22-2021, 10:56 PM
It's feminized shit made for a modern, more retarded and over-sexualized audience.

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 10:59 PM
It's feminized shit made for a modern, more retarded audience.

well that's definitely a you problem, because that didn't bother me.

I can see what you mean, it has female characters.

bomaroast
10-22-2021, 11:06 PM
The story does not matter as long as we get to see some sex and some explosions.

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 11:10 PM
Im fine with these sets and dramatic environmental shots

If this was just a series of images to music I'd be ok with it lol

When she got to Coruscant or Trantor I mean I was pretty hyped.

Watching that thing wrap around the planet lol come on this shit is amazing.

sic semper tyrannis!

Jibartik
10-23-2021, 12:37 AM
hey bomaroast, Im trying to figure out what this floating vault thing is, did the Chernobyle guy make it and he's dead now (35 years later?) the colonists are like, the foundation, which I thought were like, his cult?

But this floating vault thing, is it his? Is he not alive 35 years later when those kids were playing plant the flag?

IM just trying to figure out is it alien or like how could he have built it, it'd be like, just 10 years old and the colonists are like, WOWowwwoWW! what IS it?! its like duh you came there for him?

Maybe I have no idea what is going on...

Jibartik
10-23-2021, 12:55 AM
Ok botton you’re right like every character is a bad ass woman lol but at least they don’t talk like they’re in Picard

Tethler
10-23-2021, 01:33 AM
hey bomaroast, Im trying to figure out what this floating vault thing is, did the Chernobyle guy make it and he's dead now (35 years later?) the colonists are like, the foundation, which I thought were like, his cult?

But this floating vault thing, is it his? Is he not alive 35 years later when those kids were playing plant the flag?

IM just trying to figure out is it alien or like how could he have built it, it'd be like, just 10 years old and the colonists are like, WOWowwwoWW! what IS it?! its like duh you came there for him?

Maybe I have no idea what is going on...

What part of the Dune movie was this? I must have missed this part of the Dune movie that we're talking about in this Dune movie thread.

Tethler
10-23-2021, 01:34 AM
Also, I watched Dune last weekend. Enjoyed it and looking forward to part 2.

Jibartik
10-23-2021, 01:43 AM
ive derailed the thread into a foundation thread for the moment.

so heres what just happened to me, stupid friggen plex skipped episode 2 and played episode 3 no wonder I was so confused! They like, almost segued into each other perfectly, only nothing made sense suddenly lol

Tethler
10-23-2021, 02:33 AM
ive derailed the thread into a foundation thread for the moment.

so heres what just happened to me, stupid friggen plex skipped episode 2 and played episode 3 no wonder I was so confused! They like, almost segued into each other perfectly, only nothing made sense suddenly lol

I can understand your confusion. Dune part 2 isn't out yet and there are no plans for a part 3 as far as I'm aware.

starkind
10-23-2021, 09:07 AM
It sounds like u don't even need to go outside to live Asimovs story.

Turn on the TV and then watch as the rich and corrupt grab every story. Every name. Every trademark. Every copyright. And control Everything you see all the while feasting on our rotten corpses.

At least super star destroyers make for excellent DLC.

Knowledge
10-23-2021, 09:08 AM
We're gonna die. Nothing else matters.

starkind
10-23-2021, 09:32 AM
Bake some cookies.

BlackBellamy
10-23-2021, 11:34 AM
music was 7/10

I hate music in movies. What am I watching, some opera or a musical?

When you rely on music to tell the audience how to feel you're telling your audience that they are either too stupid to know how to feel because it's hard to understand great artists like yourself, or that your art is so weak that you need that explanation.

You see an army charging into battle and there's this loud score rising telling you omg look at all these guys this is very important and brave and exciting because the direction and cinematography and editing can't do it. It's a mask for mediocrity.

Whenever I hear music in a movie I'm like who the fuck is playing a violin in this bunker? It's all soldiers here. Have one play a damn harmonica for chrissake.

Jibartik
10-23-2021, 11:36 AM
30QzJKCUekQ

Tunabros
10-23-2021, 06:05 PM
I hate music in movies. What am I watching, some opera or a musical?

When you rely on music to tell the audience how to feel you're telling your audience that they are either too stupid to know how to feel because it's hard to understand great artists like yourself, or that your art is so weak that you need that explanation.

You see an army charging into battle and there's this loud score rising telling you omg look at all these guys this is very important and brave and exciting because the direction and cinematography and editing can't do it. It's a mask for mediocrity.

Whenever I hear music in a movie I'm like who the fuck is playing a violin in this bunker? It's all soldiers here. Have one play a damn harmonica for chrissake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-FpMyBLLk&ab_channel=VoiceBender

imagine watching an intense scene in pirates of the Caribbean where the main

character is getting chased

and all we hear are footsteps

Chortles Snortles
10-24-2021, 10:40 AM
does kynes char genderswap independent wymn ruin the film
SrS Q

starkind
10-24-2021, 11:00 AM
i like movie music as it results in really good movie soundtracks/scores tho silence can be golden and realistic and should be appropriately used form time to time

i think everyohne either ither super str8 or purely homosexual 2 answer ur Q'ing chortles

alphys
10-24-2021, 01:07 PM
You do not get to have an opinion on the adaptation unless you have read the source material.

Rated 2/10. Needs more filter and dune-versity

Skarne
10-24-2021, 02:08 PM
You do not get to have an opinion on the adaptation unless you have read the source material.

You have to at least admit the cinematography, score, and acting was fantastic! I’d even go as far to say that the CGI and costume design was top-notch.

Jibartik
10-24-2021, 02:11 PM
if those are the things you're into skarne try foundation, I agree it's getting a little annoying story wise but the cinematography, and sets and music are still awesome!

Skarne
10-24-2021, 03:24 PM
if those are the things you're into skarne try foundation, I agree it's getting a little annoying story wise but the cinematography, and sets and music are still awesome!

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check that out and watch it tonight.

Gustoo
10-25-2021, 08:47 AM
I'm a big fun fan and I fell asleep during the movie.

I kept thinking "gosh dang they've got a lot of material to cover and it feels like it's already been 3 hours"

Legitimately I don't know how they made a movie longer than other dune films with almost zero content at all.

All back grounds were just like a flat grey thing with people on them??? I never even knew paul was inside what was supposed to be his bedchambers when he caught the mosquito bug and killed it. No time spent establishing them as living on arakis at all.

Really sterilized and lacking in basically everything.

Music was cool and the music video feeling of the movie was nice but I really am blown away that there could be no character development in a movie so long that progresses 1/3 the length of the first two dune films.

Bareley any time with Gurney, Duncan, Yueh. We've got no concept of anything.

Multiple helicoptor scenes back to back. Dad with helicoptor, mom and paul escaping on helicoptor, talking to duncan, and then suddenly needing to escape via helicopter again. I was just like ?? ?? Then once they escaped via helicoptor the final time there was like no desert traveling with paul and his mom they didn't even have stillsuits on then they show up at the sietch and fight? I'm totally blown away.

Hoping for a super duper directors cut with tons of voiceovers and scenes to make this music video into an actual film.

Tunabros
10-25-2021, 11:08 AM
I'm a big fun fan and I fell asleep during the movie.

I kept thinking "gosh dang they've got a lot of material to cover and it feels like it's already been 3 hours"

Legitimately I don't know how they made a movie longer than other dune films with almost zero content at all.

All back grounds were just like a flat grey thing with people on them??? I never even knew paul was inside what was supposed to be his bedchambers when he caught the mosquito bug and killed it. No time spent establishing them as living on arakis at all.

Really sterilized and lacking in basically everything.

Music was cool and the music video feeling of the movie was nice but I really am blown away that there could be no character development in a movie so long that progresses 1/3 the length of the first two dune films.

Bareley any time with Gurney, Duncan, Yueh. We've got no concept of anything.

Multiple helicoptor scenes back to back. Dad with helicoptor, mom and paul escaping on helicoptor, talking to duncan, and then suddenly needing to escape via helicopter again. I was just like ?? ?? Then once they escaped via helicoptor the final time there was like no desert traveling with paul and his mom they didn't even have stillsuits on then they show up at the sietch and fight? I'm totally blown away.

Hoping for a super duper directors cut with tons of voiceovers and scenes to make this music video into an actual film.

yeah it was alright, I got a little bored in the middle because DUNE is just, you know,

boring as shit sometimes. But overall it was a pretty great film.

unsunghero
10-25-2021, 02:53 PM
It was alright.

A ton of things got left out from the book

If you never read the book, youll be scratching your head like 90 percent of the time

imagined the world to look a lot different tbh

music was 7/10

should watch it!

Co-worker was talking about this today, he said he liked it but was unfamiliar with Dune going in

I knew about Dune and asked him about the sand worms and the sound guns and he said it had the worms but didn’t mention the guns

He said the politics of the story reminded him a bit of GOT where the main character’s “house” is essentially destroyed or beaten by those in power, sort of like the Stark house in GOT

starkind
10-25-2021, 03:03 PM
source material needs to be turned into a tv series in the dune universe that follows the supporting characters throughout their lives and touches on the main story will never make good movies

that said 2 ppl said it was good and tunaburrito is a huge critic of everything

Jibartik
10-25-2021, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see red mars blue mars green mars taken seriously as a TV series.

Old_PVP
10-25-2021, 10:06 PM
I liked it. Haven't read the books, yet. The wife was bored. It sort of reminded me of the warhammer 40k universe just without space marines.

Elizondo
10-25-2021, 10:13 PM
The thing about Dune is it's for super geeks

I doubt the normies will get into it

Penish
10-25-2021, 10:20 PM
couldve made a better movie on my iphone, next

Jibartik
10-28-2021, 12:17 AM
now you cant like dune or you're ben shapiro.

zWfQwGiO66U

starkind
10-28-2021, 10:29 AM
U r an antisemitism nszi pig if u arunt a muadiib fangirl.

Tunabros
10-28-2021, 11:05 AM
U r an antisemitism nszi pig if u arunt a muadiib fangirl.

man shut the fuck up

Gustoo
10-29-2021, 12:54 PM
I saw the new dune a second time. It was definitely more enjoyable when I was prepared for all the disappointments and the moment the film ends.

Worst part of the 2nd watch through was the arabic sounding holy music that qued in whenever Duncan Idaho talked about how much he liked the fremen, or whenever Keynes said anything.

Definitely better the 2nd time though. I really want to love it and hope they get to make em all.

starkind
10-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Saw dune in the theatre. Was pretty good.

A+ casting
A+visuals, sound, stone, they made the fremen good and got a lot of the first book in.

B+ in keeping in tune with the books.

Movies a great commentary on power and freedom and strength and accoutrement to the books. And all the dumb shit we do.

I would have liked to see more with Liet Kiens vision and ecology, and at least one scene with the emporer, they did get the benigessiert scheming. Didn't cover the bloodlines or Paul's shocking revelations as well. Just a brief commentary on how fake religion especially the fremen one is and ya they missed an opportunity. People would have been mad if it ended in the tent tho. So they cut alot to get Paul and more fremen on screen. Which was good. Fremen are how you should be.

Well worth 15 bucks for the big screen a box of popcorn and a water.

Hope to see the next.

The director "gets" dune.

Duncan and gurney were great.. we'll see more of him in movie2

Liet was perfectly cast :p worked well. Suck it ya antisemitic racists.

Tunabros
10-29-2021, 01:56 PM

I read up to God Emperor

starkind
10-29-2021, 02:00 PM
I read the books. Pretyy recently. Moms sitting here reading them now.

The books are better. You just can't compare between the details of a book and a long ass capitalist movie that despite the masses being pathetic boring most common. Denominators losers stayed nerdy and intellectual.

Movies great. Way better than the David lynch one. And a good compromise on the stfy channel version with more interesting visuals.

I made her since she liked the movie.

nostalgiaquest
10-29-2021, 02:20 PM
I found the lack of Sting disappointing

Gustoo
10-29-2021, 03:31 PM
Nice scenes from previous movies like Gurney playing the lute in the balcony of the ball room - seeing the princess and stuff...it is a bummer to have those things just totally non existent in the movie. Paul and his relationships just feel really shallow.

It might help overall to have less investment and interest in paul if they continue the series and hes blind and not even a factor for some movies and stuff. But for giving a damn about him it didn't help.

And these stories aren't made to be merchandized so they won't be star wars. there is no hero you buy a Crysknife toy to pretend to be, so I dunno if WB is going to get what they want out of it.

My favorite part is when Leto gives his speach and his team says "ATRIEDES!" super loud it is pretty intense and you get to feel how powerful the atriedes family really is. They are hardly underdogs.

I like the atriedes bull art piece too.

I hope they can keep making them.

robayon
10-29-2021, 03:44 PM
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Zensunnihttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jizz/Legends

starkind
10-29-2021, 03:47 PM
Nice scenes from previous movies like Gurney playing the lute in the balcony of the ball room - seeing the princess and stuff...it is a bummer to have those things just totally non existent in the movie. Paul and his relationships just feel really shallow.

It might help overall to have less investment and interest in paul if they continue the series and hes blind and not even a factor for some movies and stuff. But for giving a damn about him it didn't help.

And these stories aren't made to be merchandized so they won't be star wars. there is no hero you buy a Crysknife toy to pretend to be, so I dunno if WB is going to get what they want out of it.

My favorite part is when Leto gives his speach and his team says "ATRIEDES!" super loud it is pretty intense and you get to feel how powerful the atriedes family really is. They are hardly underdogs.

I like the atriedes bull art piece too.

I hope they can keep making them.
Fair assessment.
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Zensunni
Accurate.

The fremen would take my water. My offworlder body is soft and fat with water. And I would never blame or shed a tear in anger at them.

I wish I was as strong as the fremen and had a fremen tribe. And that I could be a part of that.

I don't feel like anyone really gets me or respects me. The closest I ever had to true respect and understanding was in the military.

Gustoo
10-29-2021, 04:14 PM
Jessica looks like shes going to be smoking badass in next film when shes becoming the reverand mother with good face tattoos and stuff. Looking forward to that.

They gotta cool it with the mysterious arab music queuing in whenever anyone says something good about the fremen i was cringing pretty hard.

Gustoo
10-29-2021, 04:28 PM
OH YEAH and the Gom Jabbar in the newest dune is better than the other film Gom Jabbars http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content12/dune-gom-jabbar.jpg

starkind
10-29-2021, 06:45 PM
What would fremen music even sound like. I must explore this.

Newest gom jabbat was 1337.

starkind
10-29-2021, 06:50 PM
My favorite scene was Gurney Hallack saying well, fuck it. And marching towards the Sardukar/ harkonen drop ships with his well disciplined troops.

Next favorite was Duncan popping up to get the guy with the lasgun on the door.

3rd was the scene with the date trees. As Mua'dib once he's retaken the city. he should command them chopped down. In the movie version timeline

The thopter stuff in the sandstorm was pretty fun lol.

Gustoo
10-29-2021, 07:36 PM
I gotta say when Duncan was full dead and he slow rises up behind the sardukar D bags working the laser at the door was mega sick lol

If I ever live in a sword-fight world I will have someone on my crew decapitate all fallen enemy combatants right away there will always be a designated head chopper offer so ultra badasses can't do that lol