PDA

View Full Version : Was Colin Powell A War Hero

Elizondo
10-19-2021, 04:50 PM
Seems like parties have flipped after he died

Did he lie about the WMD or no? Half a mil innocent folks got blown up because of him

Anyways, curious to see how the politckin has changed opinion now

Ooloo
10-19-2021, 05:04 PM
I think war criminal is a strong term, and I don't think he lied the intel was just bad. There was some serious shit there, just no nukes.

It's objectively good that saddam doesn't control that region of the world anymore, but the war itself was certainly botched. A huge portion of the death was internessing conflicts between suni and shia muslims killing eachother, which the US didn't anticipate happening. It wasn't just like the US military going around blowing up families for no reason, which is how people paint it. A total mess for sure, but not worthy of calling the dude a war criminal.

Btw fun fact, in 1997 democrats passed the Iraq liberation act, which was a plan to forcibly remove saddam. That's essentially what they did, it just didn't happen until Bush was in office after 911. It wasn't just an evil plan by george bush because he's some kind of cartoonish movie villain, which is also how it's painted.

Whale biologist
10-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Choose Your Own Adventure

https://i.imgur.com/NTdiL2i.png

https://i.imgur.com/AMvdEke.jpg

Elizondo
10-19-2021, 05:20 PM
I think war criminal is a strong term, and I don't think he lied the intel was just bad. There was some serious shit there, just no nukes.

It's objectively good that saddam doesn't control that region of the world anymore, but the war itself was certainly botched. A huge portion of the death was internessing conflicts between suni and shia muslims killing eachother, which the US didn't anticipate happening. It wasn't just like the US military going around blowing up families for no reason, which is how people paint it. A total mess for sure, but not worthy of calling the dude a war criminal.

Btw fun fact, in 1997 democrats passed the Iraq liberation act, which was a plan to forcibly remove saddam. That's essentially what they did, it just didn't happen until Bush was in office after 911. It wasn't just an evil plan by george bush because he's some kind of cartoonish movie villain, which is also how it's painted.

Yea but there were no WMD tho and he totally lied on purpose about it

Ooloo
10-19-2021, 05:48 PM
Yea but there were no WMD tho and he totally lied on purpose about it

How do you know? Military intel is wrong all the time, (see: biden blowing up a family while leaving afghanistan). For him to have lied he had to have known it was bunk. Unless you can read minds I don't know of any evidence that he knowingly lied about it.

And again it was already established policy (by democrats no less) that we were going to get rid of saddam, which we did. The WMD thing was just tacked on because of heightened security concerns after 911.

Elizondo
10-19-2021, 05:58 PM
How do you know? Military intel is wrong all the time, (see: biden blowing up a family while leaving afghanistan). For him to have lied he had to have known it was bunk. Unless you can read minds I don't know of any evidence that he knowingly lied about it.

And again it was already established policy (by democrats no less) that we were going to get rid of saddam, which we did. The WMD thing was just tacked on because of heightened security concerns after 911.

Bro the intel wasn't wrong. It was a total fabrication.

They put that dude up there to give the lies credibility and he went along with it. A lot of people died because of that.

JurisDictum
10-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Powell behind the scenes was calling all his journalist contacts to tell them the war was going to be a disaster. But when he came face to face with Bush -- he hopped on board.

The insiders knew that Cheney was using his security contacts to push misleading information -- the other agencies were calling bullshit but eventually he pushed it through. All that stuff about Saddam's 911 connection and Yellow-cake uranium.

There is no way you could have thought as a reasonable person there was a connection between Saddam and Osama Bin Laden. The only reason a lot of people believed that is because the news (particularly fox) was blatantly lying about it. Those in power don't have that excuse.

Ooloo
10-19-2021, 06:30 PM
There was no direct connection between them, no, but members of alqaeda *were* being safe harbored within Iraq. And like I pointed out, it was already on the agenda that we were going to remove saddam since 1997. 9/11 just kicked that plan into gear.

People always make the point about the rise of isis, but they never acknowledge the pure misery the iraqi populace was living in under saddam. For some reason people only care about iraqi's dying if it was during the war, the day-to-day misery nobody says peep about. Isis only has a fraction of the resources saddam had at his disposal. Isis is obviously horrible, but they don't run the whole country. Saddam ran the whole country, and if you criticized him he would send goons to abduct you and your family, and force you to execute your own family members. I'm gonna take a risk here and say it's good that doesn't happen anymore.

The iraq invasion was totally botched and mismanaged, but it's not like there weren't lots of reasons that removing saddam was a just thing to do that had nothing to do with WMD's.

Toxigen
10-19-2021, 06:48 PM
colin powell died of cancer not covid

hope this helps

imperiouskitten
10-19-2021, 07:11 PM
colin powell died of cancer not covid

hope this helps

triggered :D

Ooloo
10-19-2021, 08:19 PM
I mean that's true.

*Old guy with cancer dies* - "Aw, too bad"
*Old guy with cancer dies while having covid* - "OMG SEE GET VAXXED AHHHHH!!"

He was like 90 and had cancer. A cold would have killed him, it tells us nothing about the danger of covid itself.

It makes much more sense to say he died of cancer while having covid, than the insane statement: "He died of covid while having CANCER". They weren't even specific with the headlines, it was just "covid complications". Yeah having cancer is a nasty covid complication I hear. Oh and he was vaxxed.

Dear god people get a grip.

Whale biologist
10-19-2021, 08:21 PM
I mean that's true.

He was like 90 and had cancer. A cold would have killed him, it tells us nothing about the danger of covid itself.

It makes much more sense to say he died of cancer while having covid, than the insane statement: "He died of covid while having CANCER". They weren't even specific with the headlines, it was just "covid complications". Yeah having cancer is a nasty covid complication I hear. Oh and he was vaxxed.

You don't put the fine print in the headline.

Elizondo
10-19-2021, 09:29 PM
I mean that's true.

I think what he saying is that it wouldn't be surprising that Powell's death would be labeled as having died from Covid if he was unvaxxed

His point kinda went woosh over everyone's head. Maybe it was his sarcasm. Dunno.

Just sayin

Homesteaded
10-19-2021, 10:30 PM
The lack of creativity in the bush tower option is disappointing.

JurisDictum
10-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Powell (https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211018-colin-powell-war-hero-historymaker-haunted-by-iraq)

"I'm still a Republican. And I think the Republican Party needs me more than the Democratic Party needs me," he told MSNBC in 2014.

"You can be a Republican and still feel strongly about issues such as immigration and improving our education system and doing something about some of the social problems that exist in our society and our country."

But since 2008, he has endorsed Democrats for the presidency, twice backing Barack Obama, and then Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

Man there is some cognitive dissonance there. I'm wondering if this guy spent his whole life not understanding wtf he believes and why he is doing what he does.

Elizondo
10-19-2021, 10:51 PM
The lack of creativity in the bush tower option is disappointing.

I went there, but pulled back at the last minute

Jibartik
10-20-2021, 12:11 AM
Man there is some cognitive dissonance there. I'm wondering if this guy spent his whole life not understanding wtf he believes and why he is doing what he does.

No it's called:

THE PARTIES FILPED

Im not just sayin it.

imperiouskitten
10-20-2021, 12:21 AM
That is a pretty scary quote. Hate to think that the people making these decisions have such unexamined lives. Nice is different than good as they say

Jibartik
10-20-2021, 12:25 AM
I always thought he was a butt kisser and he was just a democrat but he was in the army and kissed so many butts to get there that he just cant admit that he was a democrat.

That is until the parties flipped when he was able to start openly supporting their candidates

:p

Trexller
10-20-2021, 12:30 AM
I'm still not vaccinated, masked, or sanitized.

last week i licked a grocery store floor because my friend was bitching about germs and sanitization.

Thats why i don't get sick, I expose myself to everything.

like a decade ago, i drank some round-up because people were bitching about how it causes cancer.

can't kill me.

imperiouskitten
10-20-2021, 12:32 AM
I'm still not vaccinated, masked, or sanitized.

last week i licked a grocery store floor because my friend was bitching about germs and sanitization.

Thats why i don't get sick, I expose myself to everything.

like a decade ago, i drank some round-up because people were bitching about how it causes cancer.

can't kill me.

That's too bad. raised in a barn?

Whale biologist
10-20-2021, 12:36 AM
yeah that was a bad idea macho man

Trexller
10-20-2021, 12:51 AM
That's too bad. raised in a barn?

nah i just don't believe that a REALLY bad cold can kill me. Nature is gonna have to do better. For the most part, all of us have already been exposed to pretty much anything highly transmissible. If you aren't ever exposed, you can't build immunity.

yeah that was a bad idea macho man

Exactly why? I'm in perfect health. Gambling with money is boring, putting my life on the table? now thats an interesting card game.

Whale biologist
10-20-2021, 12:53 AM
nah i just don't believe that a REALLY bad cold can kill me. Nature is gonna have to do better. For the most part, all of us have already been exposed to pretty much anything highly transmissible. If you aren't ever exposed, you can't build immunity.

Exactly why? I'm in perfect health. Gambling with money is boring, putting my life on the table? now thats an interesting card game.

DONT DRINK POISON YOU DUMB BITCH

Trexller
10-20-2021, 12:56 AM
I'm still alive, still in perfect health, so exactly what was the mis-step?

Maybe you couldn't survive a gulp of round-up, you're weak of physical constitution.

My people survived plagues after plagues, invasions after invasions, all in a rather not-so-great climate/geography. we're still here.

Darwinian theory FTW

imperiouskitten
10-20-2021, 01:09 AM
I'm referring to the humiliation of disgrace. Hope it gets better

Toxigen
10-20-2021, 07:51 AM
colin powell didnt die of rona

Knowledge
10-20-2021, 08:06 AM
He was a war criminal, hardly a hero. Funny title though. Lets make a monument of him in Virginia.
Let's then make one of Condaleeza and Georgie Boy and they can be together forever. In Virginia. As statues.
Maybe make one too of Hillary and Bill and call the statues the Fab Five. Or add Obama too and call them the Supreme Six. War criminals and murdering war criminals.

Add a clause to the Bill of Rights that these statues may never be vandalized - penalty of death. Hillary Hit Squad will get ya.

Come get me Hillary or Im gonna talk shit about you on Youtube Forever. Piece of trash, waste of cum.

Mblake1981
10-20-2021, 08:19 AM
I expose myself to everything.

AIDS and Ebola couldn't stop him.

Knowledge
10-20-2021, 08:34 AM
Armageddon cant stop me. I can fight a war and talk shit at the same time. I'm that good.

Evil succumbed to a Greater Evil than it.

Who told you to run from the Wrath to come? Pharisees and Sadducees coming for his baptism, he said to them, "You offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Who warned you, billionnaire Pope?

Well, he's dead. What difference does it make!?!

The worst mistake the Democrats ever made was running Hillary. a Non-recoverable mistake.

starkind
10-20-2021, 09:51 AM
did he serve?

he was a hero

hobart
10-20-2021, 12:39 PM

If only your political views had seen the miles that your car has. You lack the perspective of age.

As a registered republican, I voted McCain in 2008. But Powell's endorsement of Obama over McCain is very much in-line with his philosophy (the Powell Doctrine) concerning long protracted wars which McCain was always supporting.

I think Powell was a foreign policy voter. In 2012, there was no reason for adults who form their opinions outside of the tv news cycle and talk radio to vote Romney over Obama in that context. Meaning there was no "sure thing" upside to Romney on the foreign policy front.

In 16, no one with a brain would have voted for Trump over Hillary. Powell was not a fan of Hillary. He spoke very publicly about her "hubris" costing her the election.

Mblake1981
10-20-2021, 12:41 PM
If only your political views had seen the miles that your car has.

lol

Elizondo
10-20-2021, 01:39 PM
If only your political views had seen the miles that your car has. You lack the perspective of age.

As a registered republican, I voted McCain in 2008. But Powell's endorsement of Obama over McCain is very much in-line with his philosophy (the Powell Doctrine) concerning long protracted wars which McCain was always supporting.

I think Powell was a foreign policy voter. In 2012, there was no reason for adults who form their opinions outside of the tv news cycle and talk radio to vote Romney over Obama in that context. Meaning there was no "sure thing" upside to Romney on the foreign policy front.

In 16, no one with a brain would have voted for Trump over Hillary. Powell was not a fan of Hillary. He spoke very publicly about her "hubris" costing her the election.

Bro you ain't no pub

come on man

Botten
10-20-2021, 02:28 PM
The man is a hero regardless of whether you hate him for being a republican who supported Democratic leaders.

Captain Powell served a tour in Vietnam as a South Vietnamese Army advisor during his first tour of Vietnam.

Powell returned to Vietnam as a major in 1968, serving as assistant chief of staff of operations for the 23rd Infantry Division. During his second tour in Vietnam he was decorated with the Soldier's Medal for bravery after he single-handedly rescued three others, including division commander Major General Charles M. Gettys, from a burning wreckage on the battlefield.

Whether you didn't like his policies he was at least a hero to these 3 soldiers.

Trexller
10-20-2021, 02:35 PM
AIDS and Ebola couldn't stop him.

the likelihood is low.

Elizondo
10-20-2021, 02:42 PM
The man is a hero regardless of whether you hate him for being a republican who supported Democratic leaders.

Captain Powell served a tour in Vietnam as a South Vietnamese Army advisor during his first tour of Vietnam.

Powell returned to Vietnam as a major in 1968, serving as assistant chief of staff of operations for the 23rd Infantry Division. During his second tour in Vietnam he was decorated with the Soldier's Medal for bravery after he single-handedly rescued three others, including division commander Major General Charles M. Gettys, from a burning wreckage on the battlefield.

Whether you didn't like his policies he was at least a hero to these 3 soldiers.

Naw man

I don't hate the guy and who he supported as prez don't matter

What matters is he lied about wmd and a lot of peeps got blown up cuz of that

Whale biologist
10-20-2021, 02:51 PM

Foreign policy voter hehe :)

cd288
10-20-2021, 02:55 PM

I don't think he lied, but I do think Cheney knew the intel wasn't good and pushed it anyway.

At the same time, I don't really blame anyone for believing it. You have Saddam literally refusing to allow weapons inspectors into certain specific areas because he wanted Iran to think he had WMDs. If Iran doesn't think Iraq has them, then Iraq is at extreme risk of Iranian hostilities; Saddam was basically in a very tough position from that perspective so it's not surprising he made it seem like he had WMDs.

Homesteaded
10-20-2021, 10:50 PM
Your father should be the only hero in your life.

If that isn't true, you need to be the hero in your kids lives and correct your non-hero fathers mistakes.

If you don't want kids...then you don't matter and no one cares about your opinions.

nostalgiaquest
10-21-2021, 01:46 AM
Your father should be the only hero in your life.

If that isn't true, you need to be the hero in your kids lives and correct your non-hero fathers mistakes.

If you don't want kids...then you don't matter and no one cares about your opinions.

this is the kind of thing someone says when they have subconscious regrets about having kids.

Homesteaded
10-21-2021, 09:30 AM
this is the kind of thing someone says when they have subconscious regrets about having kids.

This is the kind of thing someone says when they haven't accomplished anything in life.

No ragrets.

nostalgiaquest
10-21-2021, 10:29 AM
If you have no regrets about you life choices, then why are you constantly so bitter about those who haven’t made the same?

Knowledge
10-21-2021, 10:57 AM
He helped Bush knock down those towers. War hero? Criminal - murdered 2996 in New York and helped Bush start 2 illegal wars.

Whale biologist
10-21-2021, 11:47 AM
start 2 illegal wars.

What makes a war legal or illegal? 🤔

starkind
10-21-2021, 11:49 AM
The consent of the public? And who wins?\

Or some higher authority than the two warring powers :o

Homesteaded
10-21-2021, 01:15 PM
If you have no regrets about you life choices, then why are you constantly so bitter about those who haven’t made the same?

I have no regrets about having kids.

I didn't mean to claim I had no regrets in my life. I generally don't believe anyone who claims to have no regrets.

Trexller
10-21-2021, 04:04 PM
Colin Powell was the definition of American Hero.

from the bronx ghetto to joint chiefs, to the secretary of state. That's like the only true "American Dream" story. the rest of it is the biggest lie ever sold.

Then, they threw him under the bus because saddam barely even had working rifles, after they said he had "WMDs" whatever the fuck that means, they move the goalposts so much.

So, if you think Colin Powell was anything less than a Hero and a Martyr, you can answer to me.

Jibartik
10-21-2021, 04:13 PM
If I were to title his life story movie, id call it "american tragedy" or something.

He did follow the rules to a T and it got him shafted, eventually (like it does everyone else who follows the rules to the T)

robayon
10-21-2021, 04:54 PM
colin powell was drenched in the blood of the innocent, rainbow capitalism is going to kill us all