PDA

View Full Version : Do you meet the physical activity guidelines for Americans??

pink grapefruit
10-08-2021, 02:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oKWALAe.png

Toxigen
10-08-2021, 02:05 PM
yes, easily

Ooloo
10-08-2021, 03:30 PM
I heat my home with wood during the winter and spend all summer gathering it, which is quite a workout. So yes.

However, like any good EQ player I also have my moments of shameful slobbery.

Jibartik
10-08-2021, 03:31 PM
Physicality an issue but the real problem with adults are our mental guidelines.

unsunghero
10-08-2021, 03:56 PM
By aerobic they mean cardio, and 5 hours a week is a lot. I wonder what % of America can honestly say they are meeting or exceeding those requirements?

The majority of people I talk to who aren’t immediate family (I come from an athletic family), such as friends and co-workers say they exclusively just lift weights

Over time I have kind of adopted the cynical perception that everyone hates cardio and almost no one does it…

Ooloo
10-08-2021, 04:23 PM
By aerobic they mean cardio, and 5 hours a week is a lot. I wonder what % of America can honestly say they are meeting or exceeding those requirements?

The majority of people I talk to who aren’t immediate family (I come from an athletic family), such as friends and co-workers say they exclusively just lift weights

Over time I have kind of adopted the cynical perception that everyone hates cardio and almost no one does it…

I hate running on treadmills, but I'm lucky to live in a beautiful rural area with lots of steep hills, and just walking a few miles of those is great cardio. Weights\building muscle mass is better for losing fat if that's your goal though. Both are important!

If you can watch the carbs and maintain steady lean protein intake, it's not too hard to be in shape and still eat nearly anything you want, just moderate.

It's always funny in MMA post-fight press conferences where some dude who is in amazing physical condition is just sitting there eating a big slice of pizza answering questions.

unsunghero
10-08-2021, 04:33 PM
I hate running on treadmills, but I'm lucky to live in a beautiful rural area with lots of steep hills, and just walking a few miles of those is great cardio. Weights\building muscle mass is better for losing fat if that's your goal though. Both are important!

If you can watch the carbs and maintain steady lean protein intake, it's not too hard to be in shape and still eat nearly anything you want, just moderate.

Ya that's true about the building muscle to burn fat part, definitely

I can and have run hundreds of miles on treadmills but always prefer outside too. Outside is so much more dynamic...just last night I had a neighborhood dog trying to bite me as I ran, lol never know what the road might show you today :)

I agree too on the cheat meal part. I used to try to hardcore diet to where I wouldn't even put spreads on my sandwiches and just ate them dry, stuff like that. I'd crash off them and then rebel against the diet. I don't even like the concept of dieting, because it implies temporary to me. I always tell people if its not a way of eating you are ready to continue for the rest of you life, you're just going to put the fat back on eventually

So I definitely do the occasional cheat meal. Yesterday this hispanic co-worker brought in cheesecake Churros, oh man was that good, and I don't even like cheesecake...

starkind
10-08-2021, 05:54 PM
63 steps yesterday :(

doing moich better today!

like 280!

alphys
10-08-2021, 06:50 PM
6'3
190lbs
hair to butt
18%ish body fat

Scando/German
No allergies
Kettlebell routine W 45lb 3x week for general maintenance
I hate cardio though unless its rowing, so got a really nice rower and always hit that HIIT when I feel like it.

I was very NEET from like 12-19 though so was like 150lbs and only the constant masturbation saved my heart.

unsunghero
10-08-2021, 06:51 PM
I like how the pic says “aerobic activity preferably spread throughout the week” as if any sane person is going to do 5 straight hours of cardio :)

pink grapefruit
10-08-2021, 11:55 PM

I know a lot more irl that do cardio on the daily and have never really touched a barbell. Online you find lots of people into lifting which is nice, though those spaces can get toxic fast.

The 5 hours is moderate intensity, so I think LISS would count. That's 45 mins leisurely biking a day, not too bad- and that's for the top end of the minimum. 150 mins LISS a week is plenty possible. They list HIIT under the vigorous-intensity activities, so I guess it's not really a mix of the two. It's always hard to quantify these things ofc, and even harder to generalize to the population. 75-150 mins of HIIT each week doesn't seem too bad. I've been off work for a few days so managed to get in 3 30 min HIIT sessions, 1 each day for the past bit. Days I work I plan to do 10 or 20 minute HIIT workouts, and then do the 30 or 45 minute ones on days off. 75 minute minimum total very doable.

Here's the full document:
https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf

Interestingly, they suggest people work close to failure when it comes to resistance conditioning. I assume this is likely because people tend to underestimate how much they can really lift and they still want them going heavy enough to produce a real training effect. This is all dumbed down for us gen pop losers.

I think I meet the guidelines now, but went most of my life not meeting them lol.

Bardp1999
10-08-2021, 11:57 PM
Bunch of uggos in this thread trying to be beautiful like me, pathetic

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 12:03 AM
I’m sitting here at the gym now and for the life of me I cannot remember what I lifted last upper body day, which was only the day before yesterday. So I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing today

I need to do less edibles before I go, this is ridiculous…

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 12:06 AM
Interestingly, they suggest people work close to failure when it comes to resistance conditioning. I assume this is likely because people tend to underestimate how much they can really lift and they still want them going heavy enough to produce a real training effect. This is all dumbed down for us gen pop losers.

I not trying to give advice sorry in advance plz don’t hate me…

…but as I get older I prefer to leave a rep or 2 “in the tank” as I call it, each set

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 12:26 AM
Bunch of uggos in this thread trying to be beautiful like me, pathetic

This is my target (most aesthetic) physique to beat before Nov 12. This was from a few years ago before a Cali trip

Almost there again and with 2 hour/day workouts and 4 total hours off days I can beat it and again be able to claim best shape of my life. Will post an update towards the deadline prolly

pink grapefruit
10-09-2021, 11:43 AM
I not trying to give advice sorry in advance plz don’t hate me…

…but as I get older I prefer to leave a rep or 2 “in the tank” as I call it, each set

thanks for expressing your fear of offending me. it was a wise move, and one you were right to make.

This is one of the many reasons I really like RPE. If you're training near max for every set you're incurring unnecessary fatigue with no real benefit. The last time I trained for strength (as opposed to general health), I was doing like 10x3 @ RPE 7 and made some gains.

I keep things in the 6-9 range.

Cecily
10-09-2021, 12:44 PM
I walk 20 mins a day and have the body of a Roman emperor.

Elizondo
10-09-2021, 12:47 PM

Nero?

starkind
10-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Today I spent mostly in bed. With a mask on because even in a dark room it was too bright.

imperiouskitten
10-09-2021, 08:00 PM

basically me.
----------------
i am really bad at maintaining exercise routine, but using novel amusements I have achieved some athletic stuff in my day.

What I'm good at is totally pounding my body all day 4 or 5 days a week. That's the life of leisure I aim to maintain by my lil toga empire. I want to just be in shape by living -- without having to do a chore for it -- and kinda build my schedule around that. That's my rationale anyhow. So I am either in a mode of being very active or fairly sedentary, dependent usually on my employment status. Plus calorie restriction which my personality does automagically for me, and I am historically speaking always pretty amazed at how much strength is still left in me the first time back outdoors after a year riding the gamerchair or wage sybian. I hope that doesn't give in with age. But the feast or famine approach has worked for me, after hard training as a yout.

I'm currently 1.5 years in the gamerchair where I was forced into it by being very sick. That all resolved climactically like 3 days ago. Bam, healthy again, with a lot learned about the GI system. This is my pledge to document that recovery with some sick summit photos. :D But I've been augmenting with VR and doing a lot of work on machines, so I think I might be okay actually. I am kind of a workaholic even if there aren't 200 steps to be taken in my apartment in the day.

So do I meet the guidelines? nope i'm a full on Warcraft Cartman. but i JUST hit my goal weight so it's remarkably stealthy :o

Ooloo
10-09-2021, 09:11 PM
A major part of fitness is simply your age, which largely determines your base rate of metabolism. And then there's always a genetic component. We all know people who eat like pigs and are always stick thin, and other people who really try hard and can never lose that extra weight.

As much as the internet is full of bullshit, it's also a great resource and just using google you can determine exactly what will work for you and your situation, without having to give any money to scam artists or snake oil quacks hawking magic cures.

And even just calisthenics. Ten times a day just get up and do ten pushups, whenever you want. That's 100 pushups a day, scale it up\down as needed. If you're really out of shape, even one week of doing that will make a huge difference, and it will get easier to do.

alphys
10-09-2021, 09:27 PM
exercise is literally killing people. Body dysmorphia is triggered especially when people FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN VANITY are working out. Then, if its required because of a job, they should be required to cover up.

Its all genetic predisposition and therefore out of your control and you should not flaunt.

Penish
10-09-2021, 09:46 PM
i forgot the world was immortal until covid came along, my bad guys, only covid kills people now

Whale biologist
10-09-2021, 09:47 PM
exercise is literally killing people. Body dysmorphia is triggered especially when people FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN VANITY are working out. Then, if its required because of a job, they should be required to cover up.

Its all genetic predisposition and therefore out of your control and you should not flaunt.

*predestination

https://i.imgur.com/SXRDobY.png

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 09:47 PM
I had made this meme in Microsoft paint and posted it on Facebook back in the day

It has a quote said by “Red” from the movie Shawshank Redemption

alphys
10-09-2021, 09:53 PM
I wanna tell you old Andy went ATG with 700lbs, but I want to tell you a lot of things that never happened at Shawshank as long as I been here. There is something to say for what he tried to do with those sisters watching. They roughed him up proper, he would come out with some new stretch marks or covered in proton powder, but he never said anything.

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 09:59 PM
This first shirt I already own but in this cool dark red color, was BroScience youtuber merch

Second shirt I’m gonna buy and wear to the next 5k I end up doing

alphys
10-09-2021, 10:00 PM
*predestination

https://i.imgur.com/SXRDobY.png

Aight Imma let you in fer realz.

Predisposition is which hand you be slappin' them hoes with.

Predestination is if she got dat money or not.

Ya err me?

unsunghero
10-09-2021, 11:27 PM
Run from where I park to the base of the mountain + cardio hike + run back to vehicle

And then just did a shorter run tonight

Really hitting the pavement in prep for this Vegas trip

Did you know humans are one of the kings of on-foot travel of the entire animal kingdom? Our ability to lose heat through sweat and the efficiency of bi-pedal movement in terms of energy expenditure make us top tier among animals

In fact if you put a horse against one of the best distance runners, the horse would die before the distance runner had to stop

So the next time you are doing a walk/run, remember you are the best in the animal kingdom at this

imperiouskitten
10-09-2021, 11:44 PM
I had made this meme in Microsoft paint and posted it on Facebook back in the day

It has a quote said by “Red” from the movie Shawshank Redemption

ebin.

https://i.imgur.com/bMQtU1z.png

i put it on imgur for posterity

imperiouskitten
10-09-2021, 11:45 PM
speaking on dating, i will say this. the fact that JD had been fat and lost all the weight was a big resume builder in the dating phase :p

Less about vanity and more about the demonstrated steel in so doing!

unsunghero
10-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Doing the same (very populated) hike again today and there’s a spot where cell signal is lost due to the top blocking the nearest cell tower

And since my music is all screeching loud edm from YouTube, no signal no music and so I have to listen to everyone’s banter

My music kicks off and this couple going up in front of me going down are having this loud argument. Then I hear the guy say “this is why I didn’t want to bring you, be single” and both of them power away going different paths (still up) trying to get ahead of the other person

I’m sitting here thinking ok that was awkward as fuck for all of us to have to listen to, but I’m glad you’re putting that just-broke-up-in-public energy to constructive use! Hiking! :)

alphys
10-10-2021, 03:54 PM
I spents years in the adirondacks. Just day hikes or are you doing overnights yet? 1000s of miles on my feets

GinnasP99
10-10-2021, 04:21 PM
I for sure exceed this by quite a lot. Skating 15 miles a day. My road bicycle that I bought in I think 2010 or 2011 probably has 1/4 million miles on it, and it's still on the original wheel bearings. Fucking shoutout Giant.

Thanks to skating and riding bicycles (and hell, just being an active human) my legs looks like this

https://imgur.com/1BvzXr7.jpg

Ohh, p.s. Speaking of dating, I got rejected / stood up / ghosted 6 times in the past 3 weeks. Feels great man. Dating women in 2021 is fucking awesome.

starkind
10-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Most of my physical activity today consisted of me sitting in a chair doing some organizing.

unsunghero
10-10-2021, 08:15 PM
Ohh, p.s. Speaking of dating, I got rejected / stood up / ghosted 6 times in the past 3 weeks. Feels great man. Dating women in 2021 is fucking awesome.

It’s just a numbers game. Dunno your method, but I find your chances of being ghosted go up exponentially if you do online dating vs someone you met at a public place, or at work, or though a friend, or just about any other way

Not to be sexist but women on average tend to get more attention than men ESPECIALLY online. So at any given time, the girl you are messaging may have 10 other guys sending her messages at the same time. What she’s doing is arranging them into a hierarchy in her mind, and as soon as you start to slip towards the bottom of that, you could be ghosted at any time, for any reason. I personally never look too negatively or critically about something I did and just assume I was low on her hierarchy and someone higher up became a more viable option

The funny thing is the same thing is happening to the girl. There is a good chance she might have been #3 on the hierarchy of the guy who was #1 in hers. So she flakes on you for him, he flakes on her for someone else, and then a week or 2 later you get a message back from her. This has happened to me in the past. Of course it’s always a different story such as I wasn’t checking my mail, dealing with personal stuff, and all of those could be true. But I always consider the possibility that one of her higher ups just ghosted her the same way she ghosted me :)

But yeah ghosting happens a lot in online dating. All the time basically

starkind
10-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Ghosting is the new normal way to interact.

Honestly I hate real time relationships. Conversations. I need an ascii buffer.

unsunghero
10-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Oh, as someone who's been able to do moderately well on the online scene, some things I have learned:

#1: never ever ever have a shirtless pic of you in your bathroom mirror on your dating profile. Doesn't matter how big you are, you could be Arnold, just don't do it. It's considered low brow among most women, moreso the older you get. If you want to do some shirtless flexing, the best way to do it is a pic of you doing some activity, ideally in a setting where being shirtless is appropriate. Such as you at a backyard BBQ in your bathing suit holding a beer. Perfect shirtless pic. Never do bathroom mirror. Ask your friends to help you set it up if you need, if they're good friends, they might give you some shit about it, but they should help

And if you want to get the perfect aesthetic pic, it's not gonna happen clicking the flash button holding your phone in your hand. If you are serious and have the time, the better way to do it is prop your phone up on something and record a video. Then pretend you are a bodybuilder and try out some poses on video. Cheerleaders are told to smile when posing because it makes the audience like them more, and the same goes true for this, try to have a smile or pleasant expression when posing. Then go through the video and find frames you like. Boom perfect pic. This is a pretty nerdy way to get a great pic, more of what an instagram model would do, the only reason I ever did it was I used to put lifting progress pics up on Reddit's Physique Friday's threads, which used to get a lot of upvotes (I'd only do it once or twice a year though, not like the bodybuilders there who put one up every friday). That was until Reddit FUUUUUCKING banned me for WrongThink

#2: Have most pics of you smiling, and have pics of you with people. Smiling always better than any other expression in terms of making people like you, studies have shown. With people means you are sociable

#3: Cute pet pics kill it online. Chicks love cute pet pics. Even if it's a pet you no longer have (maybe it died from old age years ago), throw that shit up there, it's just to get your foot in the door and a response. Your profile is only going to be glanced over for 5 seconds by 99% of people, you need every edge you can get

#4: In terms of the body of the profile, no Dear Diary super long life story, no "this is what I don't want" shit. The first no one is going to read, and the second sounds too negative and pushes people away. Just some witty, short, list of things you like to do for fun and stuff about yourself

Anyway, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, gotta go to gym, BBL

starkind
10-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Unsunghero a pro at online dating bros.

Listen up.

Jibartik
10-10-2021, 09:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vbIFAe9.png

starkind
10-11-2021, 09:05 PM
It's ok if you're not physically abled enough to meet the federal governments guidelines for activity.

unsunghero
10-11-2021, 11:22 PM
It's ok if you're not physically abled enough to meet the federal governments guidelines for activity.

Just don’t get to the point where you only move in one of those motorized scooters because of joint issues due to weight or other medical reasons

Those things are a death trap….

starkind
10-11-2021, 11:51 PM
Just don’t get to the point where you only move in one of those motorized scooters because of joint issues due to weight or other medical reasons

Those things are a death trap….

Lol.

💀 😵

I just want to go running again someday and surf a riptide. I was cleaning out my drawers from my rolly chair and I found a really nice pair of shoelaces I saved.

starkind
10-12-2021, 01:18 AM
Top photo was gud.

U looked really sick in the bottom one. Scary.

I still have my running shoes. I'm going to make excuses to put them on. :)

unsunghero
10-12-2021, 01:54 AM
Top photo was gud.

U looked really sick in the bottom one. Scary.

I still have my running shoes. I'm going to make excuses to put them on. :)

Deleted the post because I wasn’t sure if I’d be doxxing myself with the bib numbers :)

But yea distance running was my first love before lifting, but it’s brutal to start with after a period of relative inactivity. Too hard on the body, if it were me I’d start with something on a bike, or swimming, or just walking up an incline and work up to running again

I think too many former runners try to just start running again and either hurt their joints or just dislike it because of new discomfort

Edited old pics of me during my running years. Yeah the second one I remember sitting on a smelly port-o-potty lid for 30 minutes with my head on the port-o-potty wall because I was either going to throw up or black out from the exertion. If I had 9 lives like my cat does, that run took one of them. But I placed well

starkind
10-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Did a lot of lifting and walking today. Ya'll would be proud af.

unsunghero
10-13-2021, 05:25 PM
Did a lot of lifting and walking today. Ya'll would be proud af.

Hell yea! Wtg!

imperiouskitten
10-13-2021, 08:48 PM
Doing the same (very populated) hike again today and there’s a spot where cell signal is lost due to the top blocking the nearest cell tower

And since my music is all screeching loud edm from YouTube, no signal no music and so I have to listen to everyone’s banter

My music kicks off and this couple going up in front of me going down are having this loud argument. Then I hear the guy say “this is why I didn’t want to bring you, be single” and both of them power away going different paths (still up) trying to get ahead of the other person

I’m sitting here thinking ok that was awkward as fuck for all of us to have to listen to, but I’m glad you’re putting that just-broke-up-in-public energy to constructive use! Hiking! :)
I had a very bad relationship where we'd ALWAYS get in a fight when we went hiking. I think hiking compatibility goes a long way. I wonder if they rage fucked later lol

I spents years in the adirondacks. Just day hikes or are you doing overnights yet? 1000s of miles on my feets
how did you get into overnights? I have done such things but I find awakening so close to the elements to be pretty difficult for me. Mostly because of sleep. Do you have trouble sleeping in a tent? Did it go away over time? Are you advocating overnights because they are awesome, or just to flex? Cuz I'm interested :)

I'm sorry to hear this. Dating really has changed *wildly* and for the worse. Worst. Every time you crack the str8ppl app open there are MORE bots per real user, MORE jaded serial one night standers etc. There are also (mostly male I presume) users who use multi accounts to give a guaranteed ban to girls who don't respond correctly to brilliant and uncreepy opening lines like, "Head?".

The operating mode is definitely SUPER flaky and car salesman-y. I pity the sensitive soul trying to find companionship among so many totally unrelatable alien ladies with well-kept instagram pages.

But I think you should post screenshots so we can give accurate feedback! I'll be yo love docta!

starkind
10-14-2021, 08:42 AM
First thing I did when waking up was move :p

starkind
10-14-2021, 09:42 AM
And more lifting.

unsunghero
10-14-2021, 04:52 PM
And more lifting.

Keep at it!

Every day. Don’t compromise with yourself, just tell yourself this is what I do now

Only a suggestion tho on my part. You do you

unsunghero
10-17-2021, 02:24 AM
Thought I was gonna break 16k steps today. Did my run/cardio hike/run this morn then a shorter run this afternoon. After that swam some laps for like 20min. Overall probably about 3 total hours of cardio today, but spaced out

Today was my favorite, what I call an ACD, an All Cardio Day :)

BlackBellamy
10-17-2021, 07:54 AM
I read this topic as "Do you meet the physical attractiveness guidelines for Americans??" and I just came in here to post an unqualified 'yes!'.

I don't know what the physical guidelines are and I'm not going to look them up. I've been lied to about the food pyramid, I've been lied to about aspirin and cholesterol and pain-killers and food additives.

I feel pretty healthy. I can move a sofa and when I go shopping I carry all 12 bags in at once like a real man. Good enough!

One thing I haven't been lied to is how good looking I am. I got the mirror right there! I'm looking to the left now; who's that handsome devil staring back? It's me!

Forget jogging and pushups! Moisturize bitches, moisturize!

GinnasP99
10-17-2021, 08:31 AM
RjKNbfA64EE

I've kinda been doing this. Trying to get some wrinkles out of my face and eyes

starkind
10-17-2021, 10:22 AM
More moving today. Desk assembly as well.

unsunghero
10-17-2021, 12:02 PM
RjKNbfA64EE

I've kinda been doing this. Trying to get some wrinkles out of my face and eyes

Lol my friend and I used to quote that movie so much when we were younger

starkind
10-17-2021, 10:18 PM
I busted my ass over 10hrs today.

Real proud.

It was a lot harder than I thought. I accomplished more than I thought though.