PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: Most Efficient Mobs to Solo?

gherron
09-30-2021, 10:38 PM
I'm about to hit 52 on my ranger. So far I've been killing greens/light blues in HHK and HHP solo. I'm wondering if it's far more efficient to fear-kite animals that are blue in WW/EW (low ZEM) or if greens/light blues in a high ZEM spot?

Crede
10-01-2021, 12:50 AM
Depends on your gear. Hhk is best if you can keep up with the spawns. Do merchants assist nobles now even with harmony? Idk. Both bards and isa still better than fear kiting as long as they are blue

Croco
10-01-2021, 02:26 AM
There are 3 dark blue barbarians in everfrost that are pretty good exp at that level. I never found a good spot for fear kiting animals as I leveled up. I tried animals in WW for a while but the exp was pretty bad compared to other easier zones.

jolanar
10-01-2021, 06:19 AM
Generally speaking as a melee you want to kill mobs that are only barely dark blue.

A lot of the time mobs have about a 4 level spread. That means often the best time to kill them is when about half are green. This is because if they are all dark blue that means some will be 4+ level higher than you should be fighting and that can wreck your day as melee fights are very RNG.

If you don't already have a fungi tunic, I would say work on at least getting a Tolan's bracer and a good velious bow with at least 30/40 ratio. I'd probably want to pepper down the mobs to at least 75 or 80% health before engaging in melee.

If you already have a fungi and good haste, I would head to Wakening Lands and see how you handle Tar Goos at that level. You can take that camp into the upper 50s and its good easy money. You could also try Grobb guards but that will only take you one or two more levels but might be easier than Goos.

Harvest
10-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Bats in solb are doable if a little tricky to break for fearing. Zone in via sola, combo of snear, fear and root will let you break in and i think most should be dark blue but manageable at 52

Gustoo
10-01-2021, 01:55 PM
I always thought panic animal kiting was the best way to go for my ranger but its been a really long time.

Before that it was just melee till low HP and then arrows and swarming.. like a classic newb.

dablackgoku1234
10-01-2021, 10:56 PM
Dyrna take you to 56.

Croco
10-02-2021, 04:13 AM
Dyrna take you to 56.

dyrna will easily take you to 59, it's just slow af and boring

Jimjam
10-02-2021, 04:22 AM
Some trash in KC you can solo at 53. It’s pretty easy to get singles or CC.

Really fun zone to group in as a ranger too.

You can do most of hunter/forager cycles in Trakanon’s Teeth. Not too hard to find rez.

If you stick these out to 55+ things get way easier.

You may be able to do some Velks spiders too.

Snaggles
10-02-2021, 08:05 PM
Yea animal fear kiting tapers off at 52. I personally wouldn’t mess with WW unless you also want to make scout rolls.

Go the distance with Dyrna. At that point a few more levels won’t be bad duo, grouped, or painfully soloing. I found life was exceptionally better 55+ with Chloroplast.

Ripqozko
10-02-2021, 08:53 PM
do dyrna then goto lfay and solo brownie guards until 60, you are welcome.

gherron
10-02-2021, 10:22 PM
Will Dyrna work without "premium items"? I can't afford a fungi and all I have are the FBSS and a Woodsman's Staff.

I also tried her and had to run because she does hurt. Do I just nuke with Firestrike and Call of Flame?

Jimjam
10-03-2021, 02:50 AM
When fighting buffed druids or necros I try start by spamming cancel magic spells. Even use a crystallised pumice to make things faster. Did you try that? Once broken in you can engage on spawn to save pummice plat.

Snaggles
10-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Will Dyrna work without "premium items"? I can't afford a fungi and all I have are the FBSS and a Woodsman's Staff.

I also tried her and had to run because she does hurt. Do I just nuke with Firestrike and Call of Flame?

I leveled my ranger on her to 58. Woodsman and crystalline cloak but basically nuke on every swing. Firestrike is slow as heck but is more dps than your melee, especially unhasted. The low levels she might be a bit dodgy.

GinnasP99
10-04-2021, 10:01 AM
The goos in WL might be ok. They still give xp to like 59-60. They're fairly easy to kill, and each mob pops 2 little goos that drop $ gems. Spot will be much easier if you already have both epics, if not, might want to wait till like 54.

Ohh, also. If you don't have earthcaller, be sure you are carrying around swarmcaller in your bags.

Toxigen
10-04-2021, 11:18 AM

Make sure you have a Swarmcaller. Open with it, get every mob slowed, swap to Woodsman's.

DeathsSilkyMist
10-04-2021, 12:38 PM
Make sure you have a Swarmcaller. Open with it, get every mob slowed, swap to Woodsman's.

This. Rangers/Warriors are very lucky they have an easily accessible weapon with a high percentage slow proc. Invaluable for soloing and helping with slows in groups/raids. Not saying Swarmcaller is Warrior useable, I am referring to Truncheon of Doom.

derpcake2
10-04-2021, 02:09 PM

Unless its a fresh spawn you need to dispel her, she has good buffs that give her a relatively large amount of extra HP.

Gustoo
10-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Yeah ranger life gets a lot better with swarm caller and a lot better again with panic animal. Before that they are OK because in vanilla they are almost as good as a warrior at a lot of things.

Snaggles
10-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Frankly I'd green the bards and then move to dyrna. no problem then if you nuke between swings.

Toxigen
10-05-2021, 10:03 AM
Just curious...what is so good about Dyrna?

Philistine
10-05-2021, 10:20 AM
I main a ranger and love them, but I found soloing much past the 20s to be pretty painful.

I realize there's probably a RL reason why you're looking to solo, but if there isn't I'd consider grouping; that's where rangers really get to ranger IMHO!

Tethler
10-05-2021, 07:42 PM

Fast respawn, low hp

Crede
10-05-2021, 07:54 PM

And hhk has a zem still pretty good after the nerf

Nomadic Plainswalker
10-06-2021, 02:51 PM
On a similar topic has anyone used a WESS as a fear kiting weapon? proc rate good enough for that to work?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Wrapped_Entropy_Serpent_Spine

DeathsSilkyMist
10-06-2021, 03:01 PM
On a similar topic has anyone used a WESS as a fear kiting weapon? proc rate good enough for that to work?

Yeah you should be able to use it as a fear kite weapon just fine. According to wiki WESS is a 1.7 minute blind, so that is a pretty good duration. Obviously you can get unlucky on a proc, but that is the same with any blind/fear proc weapon.

sogundordor
10-10-2021, 08:09 AM
I can’t understand how to use WESS to kite?
sounds interesting!!

Snaggles
10-10-2021, 10:18 AM

It won’t work. If you are close enough to get a proc they won’t run when blinded.

Nomadic Plainswalker
10-10-2021, 12:14 PM
It won’t work. If you are close enough to get a proc they won’t run when blinded.

Exactly what I discovered too.

Nomadic Plainswalker
10-10-2021, 12:16 PM
I can’t understand how to use WESS to kite?
sounds interesting!!

The only way to do it is to have the mob snared when the WESS procs, then you have to quickly back out of range or the mob will still beat on you. Once out of range you can dot, nuke and shoot arrows for 1.7 minutes.

DeathsSilkyMist
10-10-2021, 12:16 PM
You need to run away from the mob once they are blinded. As long as you are in melee range they will continue to attack. The way blind works is the mob will attack the closest player/pet on it's hate list in melee range. If every player/pet on it's hate list is out of melee range, it will run around as if feared. But any time a player/pet on it's hate list enters into melee range again, it will attack the closest one. So to blind kite you always need to be out of melee range, and you cannot have a pet attacking the blinded mob.

gherron
10-10-2021, 06:32 PM
do dyrna then goto lfay and solo brownie guards until 60, you are welcome.

Dyrna till she’s green or just straight to 59?

Snaggles
10-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Dyrna till she’s green or just straight to 59?

Iirc she’s blue 50% of the time at 57 or 58. It takes painful dedication to go the distance so once the coin toss spawn happens I would move on.

Ripqozko
10-10-2021, 08:39 PM
At 57 ish move to brownie guards