PDA

View Full Version : Eve Online

Seducio
09-16-2021, 01:26 PM
Serious Question: Is Eve Online a game worth checking out this late in its timeline?

Also would someone who enjoys P1999 get value out of Eve Online or are the two MMO game styles too different?

Asking for a friend.

Gustoo
09-16-2021, 01:29 PM
I was asking the same question like 8 years ago now.

If it still has pop versus what it had in like 2016 I'd say, yes.

IT seems like a game for psychos so it might be great for some EQ people.

starkind
09-16-2021, 01:29 PM
it's probably still going really strong

the only reason i couldn't play it last year was because my brain can't parse it anymore, i had some really great times in it in like 2013 tho

it is still the #1 pvp mmo i bet tho with really pretty space visuals

the big draw for eve is pvp and watching IRL ppl lose thousands of dollars of investment and time

you certainly dont need any money or risk any to really enjoy it tho and it's totally possible to have fun as a minion of one of the big players

Gustoo
09-16-2021, 01:47 PM
I don't play it because I don't want to use my interpersonal skills to manipulate people for my own gains. I think it is a core function of that game due to it being fake life with no consequences for scum betrayal and the wreckage you cause to people as a result so I don't really want to "play" that because that kind of stuff takes something out of me.

Shawk
09-16-2021, 01:50 PM
I don't play it because I don't want to use my interpersonal skills to manipulate people for my own gains. I think it is a core function of that game due to it being fake life with no consequences for scum betrayal and the wreckage you cause to people as a result so I don't really want to "play" that because that kind of stuff takes something out of me.

Bitter.

90% don't play this way. Always a 10%.

Eve is great but don't waste your time if you aren't a math nerd or programmer type.

loramin
09-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Bitter.

90% don't play this way. Always a 10%.

Eve is great but don't waste your time if you aren't a math nerd or programmer type.

Yeah, there's a reason why Eve's nickname is "the spreadsheet simulator" ;)

walfreyydo
09-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Played it heavily circa 2010.

To me its the "world cup" of mmorpg's. Many different groups from countries all over the world. I remember we were battling against some Swede's for our little section of null sec space. (Null sec space is really where all the action and fun is). Our corp was trying to carve out a home, built a space station, defended our territory, from solo high-end players who try to lay traps for people. Many layers and ways to play the game - from support/ewar to drone boats etc.

I was part of a small corp which was part of a larger alliance which is part of an even larger alliance which boils up to basically two mega-alliances (Northern Coalition/Southern Coalition) dueling it out in insanely large space battles (large enough to crash zones). 500+ people. Massive strategy carried out by celebrity "FC's" - fleet commanders who are giving instructions to hundreds of players on discord and coordinating moves based on input from scouts and even spies embedded in the opposing alliance. Giant titan motherships (veteran players) which take months and months to build, fighting alongside hundreds of other player ships, including yourself.

By far the most complex and massive scale game I've played, but requires a lot to stay engaged, and I just lost interest. I liked the focus on teamwork and being able to have a role no matter how new or old you are to the game. Full player-driven economy, heavy focus on tradeskills and harvesting/manufacturing. Many different branches to specialize in (mining, pirate hunting, exploration, etc) with a role for each and a way to make income for each.

Not sure what the state of the game is currently, but if you like games with steep learning curves and complexity, its worth giving it a shot.

Haxom
09-16-2021, 02:22 PM
I've given it a try a couple times and really enjoyed it, but the friends I played with always seem to quit after a month or two of getting back into it and then I lose interest playing alone. I end up just keeping the accounts going for a while and training skills I'll probably never use. Probably a great game if you have a core of solid people to play with. It still felt very 'alive' the last time I played.

Gustoo
09-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Man I love hearing about this game. Shawk I'm not bitter I'm just protecting myself from myself bud.

IMO eve still looks like one of the best games of its type ever made.

Gustoo
09-16-2021, 02:44 PM
I was part of a small corp which was part of a larger alliance which is part of an even larger alliance which boils up to basically two mega-alliances (Northern Coalition/Southern Coalition) dueling it out in insanely large space battles (large enough to crash zones). 500+ people.

Man I just started imagining what it would take to create a third mega coalition with people willing to defect from both northern and southern coalitions, while leaving people inside both of them to make sure that the northern and southern still fight each other instead of instantly turning to squash the newly formed third coalition.

I'm glad the game is still going strong

Gravydoo II
09-16-2021, 03:38 PM
man I got a frikken rapier chillen but i only got enough money to buy the omega thing to use it.. lol Lmk you wanna go on a final run, blow em all up

Tunabros
09-16-2021, 03:50 PM
It's fun if you love to play excel spreadsheet

other than that your better off playing transportation tycoon

walfreyydo
09-16-2021, 04:14 PM
IMO eve still looks like one of the best games of its type ever made.

I would agree. One of the nice things is you do not have to be online actually playing the game to earn experience. Skills train whether you are logged in or not, which allows you, if desired, to log off the game for months while a big skill is training (like an advanced level V skill).

More in-game time invested = more isk (currency), but does not affect skill progression. Skill progression is based on out of game time.

Baler
09-16-2021, 06:06 PM
Use to play eve hardcore back in the day. pvp, controling sections of space, fighting the russians. It's not a game to be taken light hearted.

Don't fly why you can't afford and if something seems too good to be true it probably isn't true.

eve has come a long ways though and introduced new systems for fresh players. It's worth a try since it's free to play.

Tongpow
09-18-2021, 06:39 PM
resubbed my accounts 2 months ago for the end of the world war bee II, its the same ol eve that it always was if you find a group of people to do stuff with it can be the best video game ever or if you play solo mining asteroids it can be the worst

here's a referral link that will give you like a 2 week head start or whatever 1million sp is worth in time i forget
https://www.eveonline.com/signup?invc=b9ad7209-5733-49f8-baea-dd474584343e

join pandemic horde, karmafleet or brave if you wanna get straight into the "hey i brought 30,000 of my closest friends to knock over your sandcastle" part of the game on day 1

my elite killboard stats
https://zkillboard.com/character/95996677/

lastest huge fight in eve video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-hicHRqSE

Tongpow
09-18-2021, 07:11 PM
old but one of the better videos showing how intense and insane a big battle can be with voice comms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLqb-m1ZZUA