PDA

View Full Version : Environmentalists Murdered

Gustoo
09-13-2021, 05:04 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58508001?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom4=255DD08E-1426-11EC-A94C-9A954744363C&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_medium=custom7

Discuss how people trying not to have lands ravaged are murdered.

Jibartik
09-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Well you know my theory..

Ooloo
09-13-2021, 05:09 PM
Sure, you can be the first one in line to live without electricity or gasoline. Go right ahead.

But seriously I obviously condemn the murder of anybody, I'm a tad skeptical of the premise of this article though. Are "environmental activists" like registered, card carrying members? Maybe these murders had nothing to do with their activism. I mean it says "almost a third" were linked to their activism, which means the majority of them weren't. So it's kind of misleading. Most apparently got murdered for some unrelated reason.

It's sad and I fully condemn the murderers, but the article itself seems a tad manipulative.

Modern environmentalism tends to trend more and more toward a cultish anti-human attitude, especially when people talk about how there's "too many people". Nobody wants to include themselves in the set of people who are too many, it's always somebody ELSE that needs to go. I'm all for green energy, but it's not a magic solution. Green energy requires deforestation, pollution, and burning fossil fuels to ever get off the ground. The Greta Thunbergs of the world are painfully ignorant of what allows them to live the cushy lives that they live.

Trexller
09-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Natural Resource profiteers tryin to make activists quiet?

Swish
09-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Life is cheap in South Africa.

Jibartik
09-13-2021, 06:18 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Murrell

Whale biologist
09-13-2021, 06:46 PM
Well you know my theory..

They used to spike trees up here, I won't say my theory. :o

pink grapefruit
09-13-2021, 06:48 PM
The end of the world promises to be very stupid!

Jibartik
09-13-2021, 06:52 PM
The end of the world promises to be very stupid!

https://i.imgur.com/XtmPgqt.png

Homesteaded
09-13-2021, 07:26 PM
What a weak link. 227 people murdered and were supposed to assume it’s only because they defended trees? Miss.

Tunabros
09-13-2021, 07:29 PM
jeez can't believe this type of stuff happens out there

cd288
09-13-2021, 08:09 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58508001?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom4=255DD08E-1426-11EC-A94C-9A954744363C&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_medium=custom7

Well, based on how many NPCs tell me I have ruined my own lands but I’m not going to ruin theirs, I guess I’ve killed a fair amount of environmentalists

Mesocyclone
09-13-2021, 08:54 PM
Maybe environmental engineering isn't the right path after all. Flipping burgers it is then.

Gravydoo II
09-13-2021, 09:43 PM
Maybe your god could protect the forests we need to breathe clean air.. Or the oceans we need to keep the planet healthy. Why dont you petition for that?

Ooloo
09-13-2021, 10:14 PM
Maybe your god could protect the forests we need to breathe clean air.. Or the oceans we need to keep the planet healthy. Why dont you petition for that?

Forests are inherently renewable resources. I thought you were in favor of renewable energy?

It takes maybe 20 years for most trees to grow to maturity, and they are providing oxygen the entire time they're growing. If we replace trees that are cut down (which we do) and stagger the felling of trees (which we do) humans are at absolutely zero risk from deforestation.

hobart
09-13-2021, 10:40 PM
Forests are inherently renewable resources. I thought you were in favor of renewable energy?

It takes maybe 20 years for most trees to grow to maturity, and they are providing oxygen the entire time they're growing. If we replace trees that are cut down (which we do) and stagger the felling of trees (which we do) humans are at absolutely zero risk from deforestation.

Basically true, but somewhat misleading about deforestation. We're getting close to net zero loss as a planet, but forests planted in the Black Hills do not make up for Amazonian rain forest lost. Though it is significantly better than nothing.

Also, part of the "new growth" forest increase is due to natural replenishment of loss to fire which is increasing due to climate change and other human factors. The forest is doing it's job, but not in ideal conditions as we're making it work overtime. Still better than it not regrowing, obviously.

Ooloo
09-13-2021, 10:50 PM
Basically true, but somewhat misleading about deforestation. We're getting close to net zero loss as a planet, but forests planted in the Black Hills do not make up for Amazonian rain forest lost. Though it is significantly better than nothing.

Also, part of the "new growth" forest increase is due to natural replenishment of loss to fire which is increasing due to climate change and other human factors. The forest is doing it's job, but not in ideal conditions as we're making it work overtime. Still better than it not regrowing, obviously.

Well what is the alternative? To fell less trees? That will directly lead to the death of the poorest of the world. Obviously I think we should make forestry as efficient as possible *because* it is renewable, but it's not like they're cutting down rainforest for no reason, it's to keep humans alive.

hobart
09-13-2021, 11:06 PM
Well what is the alternative? To fell less trees? That will directly lead to the death of the poorest of the world. Obviously I think we should make forestry as efficient as possible *because* it is renewable, but it's not like they're cutting down rainforest for no reason, it's to keep humans alive.

In this case, politics. A few chronic offenders, namely Brazil and some SE Asian countries, need to do better in their own backyards.

US corporations and the paper industry, on the other hand, are pretty kick ass at fighting deforestation.

unsunghero
09-14-2021, 12:25 AM
My simple explanation is people tried to get in the way of other people making money. Some people will kill over that. Am I not understanding it? I think the simplest explanation is usually the best

Jibartik
09-14-2021, 12:29 AM
The rainforest in the Amazon that everybody saved in the 80s and 90s right now is getting cut down.

Womp womp

Jimjam
09-14-2021, 02:29 AM
Life is cheap in South Africa.

Have African ancestry and cousins from the family stories the parts of the continent I have had connections to, including SA, sound like they suck. Even when people trying to explain how amazing these places are.

unsunghero
09-14-2021, 03:01 AM
Have African ancestry and cousins from the family stories the parts of the continent I have had connections to, including SA, sound like they suck. Even when people trying to explain how amazing these places are.

I've encountered a decent amount of I'm assuming South African (maybe some other part of Africa, I can't distinguish where from the accent) black people in my job

Always very polite, incredible hard workers, who can take a lot of abuse (in my field they seem to frequently end up working in group homes that other people may not want to, such as homes for adults with developmental delays or other medical cognitive problems and sometimes a history of aggression). They are (usually rarely) getting hit by their residents sometimes, still keeping a perfectly cool head and remaining professional and polite to the resident and everyone else throughout. I have nothing but completely positive experiences every time I've encountered them at work

imperiouskitten
09-14-2021, 03:27 AM

Maybe ask Patriam, he seems to have figured out how to simply honestly disbelieve anything "pessimistic". The key is putting the constant demonstration of your affiliated consumer "identities" above all learning and wisdom, and becoming a flesh-eating monster incapable of doing anything but harm. After all, winners are total shitbag murderers who don't really have very much specific book learning or any honed talents; they just tell ppl what to do because they were born that way -- and winning is what I do! Therefore im a winner, just for being shitty ole me!!! I'm only temporarily a little short sum funds :o

and having any doubts or doing any self-analysis is feminine.

And complaining about that makes you a gay, paranoid pessimist btw. I suggest quoting TV characters for all ur posts instead. Give up that humanity loser. and stop bullying concentration camp guards -- complaining about murder and rape to a rapist constitutes your doing them emotional violence. bully OP bullies the man holding the gun YET AGAIN, and this time just for being a monster deserving immediate extinction =/

whiny bitch maybe get born on a alien space station if you dont want to boil to death in an ocean of feces. loser