PDA

View Full Version : New World

Tethler
08-28-2021, 03:11 AM
Anyone else been following the New World MMO? It's had a pretty chaotic development, but the closed beta last month was more fun than I expected.

There was a 3-day open beta announcement to stress test the servers on Sept 9-12 via Steam. I'm definitely gonna jump in and mess around.

Personally, I really enjoyed the crafting system, and the no-target action based combat was also really fun. There are some things that need improvement of course (mob variety, and pvp faction balancing stood out for me during the closed beta), though I only leveled to the low 20s during the 2-week closed beta, so I don't have any experience in the top end content.

For those that have experienced the alpha or beta tests, what have been your impressions of the game? Anyone planning to play it at launch on sept 28th?

Tunabros
08-28-2021, 03:25 AM
It looks like it has a lot of potential

but tbh the combat reminds me too much of ESO combat and I don't think its for me

Tethler
08-28-2021, 04:14 AM
I didn't play ESO at all, so I can't really comment on it's similarity. The best description I've seen of the combat style so far is like a more forgiving Dark Souls. You really can't button mash and faceroll through stuff. You get staggered if you take hits, so you need to block and dodge and time your attacks or you'll have a bad time.

The classless system is also appealing. Changing armor/weapon types at will (weapon damage/perks/skills tied to weapon proficiency that needs to be leveled up) gives some flexibility in playstyle if you want it without having to roll 15 alts.

Jibartik
08-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Looks amazing to me.

It was a little Small on enemy contact like they had skeletons which instantly gives it an A+ as far as I’m concerned but they kind of over used as a skeletons.

I’m hoping they add more monsters and stuff to fight.

Shawk
08-28-2021, 02:46 PM
I remember watching in the first preview a while back, playing was so much better than watching.

I think the world map will be 75% larger in the release, the way they have the HUB town system set up is setup to be like Shadowbane/EVE/Planetside in the sense of a mass scale PVP with a PVE/Economy that fuels the PVP/Landgrab/Tax.

Preview was oddly different than closed beta, They seemed to just be directing people to test specific content in Closed beta, especially PVP. I don't think we have seen much of what will be in release. Spent most my time playing just exploring and the lore explains a ton of stuff it seems no one is paying attention to.

Jibartik
08-28-2021, 02:55 PM
I lowkey think this is going to scratch some of the itches EQ has only for me and it both scares and excites me.

Shawk
08-28-2021, 03:02 PM
I lowkey think this is going to scratch some of the itches EQ has only for me and it both scares and excites me.

It does. Although I am still hoping Smedley makes his own MMO with Amazon, he is working for Amazon Orange so Id bet because of New Worlds success they will release more MMO with him as lead or at least hiring the lead devs to make something more like EQ.

Tethler
08-30-2021, 01:11 AM
Looks amazing to me.

It was a little Small on enemy contact like they had skeletons which instantly gives it an A+ as far as I’m concerned but they kind of over used as a skeletons.

I’m hoping they add more monsters and stuff to fight.

Yeah, the mob variety was pretty sparse in the early levels. Skeletons/zombies/wolves/bears/humans was pretty much all I saw. I heard there were some cool new enemy types in the higher level zones, but I didn't have the time to get above mid-20s in the 2 weeks. Considering the game was aiming to be a PvP sandbox with no PvE content like a year ago, and what we see now, I have no doubt they'll improve on mob variety as time goes on. I mean, it's also Amazon. A game studio with infinite money to pull from.

I think the world map will be 75% larger in the release, the way they have the HUB town system set up is setup to be like Shadowbane/EVE/Planetside in the sense of a mass scale PVP with a PVE/Economy that fuels the PVP/Landgrab/Tax.

I'm not sure how big the release map will be, but in the beta I spent the majority of my time in like 2 of the areas (Windsward (sp?) and Everfall) with a few quests bringing me out to other areas temporarily. In beta, there was more than 10 accessible areas I think?

The territory control concept was neat, with serverwide buffs for your chosen faction based on which areas your team controlled. I didn't get a chance to do any of the 50 vs 50 battles for city control since I was low level, but I look forward to giving that a shot at launch.

Swish
08-30-2021, 01:51 AM
It does. Although I am still hoping Smedley makes his own MMO with Amazon, he is working for Amazon Orange so Id bet because of New Worlds success they will release more MMO with him as lead or at least hiring the lead devs to make something more like EQ.

Have you heard about Pantheon?

Shawk
08-30-2021, 02:41 AM
Y
I'm not sure how big the release map will be, but in the beta I spent the majority of my time in like 2 of the areas (Windsward (sp?) and Everfall) with a few quests bringing me out to other areas temporarily. In beta, there was more than 10 accessible areas I think?

The territory control concept was neat, with serverwide buffs for your chosen faction based on which areas your team controlled. I didn't get a chance to do any of the 50 vs 50 battles for city control since I was low level, but I look forward to giving that a shot at launch.

I assume it will be much more mass open world PVP in the center area but the way the hubs are set up seems very Lineage 2 and the map assuming its larger will have a heavy pvp combat middle area that is open pvp like emain in Daoc fighting for relic boosts kind of thing they will be more sought after but it will be more open battle rather than instanced battle like in the beta.

Also assume servers will then be way more clustered as the map will have way more people on it being bigger. All the beach is a spawning zone.

The preview/closed just seem more like a demo procured for testing mainly. The map alone looks like 10% of a map.

https://i.imgur.com/BojODNO.png

Have you heard about Pantheon?

Of coarse I think I already bought it a while back, that and the kick starter for Camelot Unchained. SoonTM.

Tethler
08-30-2021, 03:13 AM
I assume it will be much more mass open world PVP in the center area but the way the hubs are set up seems very Lineage 2 and the map assuming its larger will have a heavy pvp combat middle area that is open pvp like emain in Daoc fighting for relic boosts kind of thing they will be more sought after but it will be more open battle rather than instanced battle like in the beta.

Also assume servers will then be way more clustered as the map will have way more people on it being bigger. All the beach is a spawning zone.

The preview/closed just seem more like a demo procured for testing mainly. The map alone looks like 10% of a map.

Yeah, there was tons of open world PVP going on in the last beta! With the PvP faction quests and the general 5% xp boost for having PvP flag enabled, I'm sure there will be a lot of open PvP going on in the world. Personally, I only flagged a handful of times in the beta because I was mostly trying to experience the game mechanics and tradeskills and stuff. Will definitely flag up more at launch.

The map will definitely be larger, whether that's at launch or soon after that. I saw video of a beta tester glitching into a desert zone on the West side of the beta-playable map that was not populated with mobs, but had regional name popups at he ran around. Clearly a zone in development and intended for release. The in-game map also showed a lot of northern areas with roads that just lead off into grey areas, likely where the map will continue expansion.

starkind
08-30-2021, 10:29 AM
so i saw this add 2day the red words are not mine it was in the adds animation lol

https://i.imgur.com/72shJbp.png

sorry OP new world is gonna be a great brainsync that destroys noahs new age army, much like minecrat, but those kids will be raptured into amazons new world and have great lives in simcraft

:p

Shawk
08-30-2021, 06:43 PM
so i saw this add 2day the red words are not mine it was in the adds animation lol

sorry OP new world is gonna be a great brainsync that destroys noahs new age army, much like minecrat, but those kids will be raptured into amazons new world and have great lives in simcraft

Seek help

Tethler
08-30-2021, 11:22 PM

Go derail some other thread with your nonsense posts

alphys
08-30-2021, 11:43 PM
I worry it will suffer a guildwars 2 fate and endup FTP for Prime members or something.

Combat looks very floating and most likely to be playing with a controller.

4 person dungeon relaxed dungeon crawling might be fun?

Ill probably wait for FTP

Tethler
08-30-2021, 11:51 PM
I worry it will suffer a guildwars 2 fate and endup FTP for Prime members or something.

Combat looks very floating and most likely to be playing with a controller.

4 person dungeon relaxed dungeon crawling might be fun?

Ill probably wait for FTP

Lol, Amazon Prime integration is something I could totally see them doing, sadly. There is already Twitch integration. Twitch streamers can enable guild invites that viewers from the Twitch website can use to join their guild in-game.

Controller would suit this game's action combat quite well I think. I'm pretty much exclusively a keyboard and mouse MMO player, but I'd consider buying a controller for this.

I did only the first dungeon in beta. It was fun, but the boss mechanics were simple (first dungeons usually are).

alphys
08-31-2021, 12:06 AM
You know I watched a lot of gameplay videos and read a bit about the gameplay and I really think this would be a blast to play through with a dedicated group. Very relaxed, but I think that will work in it's favor overall because you are much more likely to fire it up on the sofa, use modern matchmaking and voice chat and play a few hours than to fire up PC and sit down to play without tabbing out every few minutes to shitpost.

Shawk
08-31-2021, 12:08 AM
https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/battle-for-new-world-information

All those streamers are apparently getting 100 keys each or something.. They had a mess up in deciding the winner so they just made everyone winners. So if you want a free one, find the lowest viewed steamer and on release they should get the keys and give them to their communities.

Also, it may sound a bit obvious but watching this game and playing it was a very different experience. I distinctly remember how surprised I was by the feel of the combat after I bought it, wasn't expecting too much after watching.. Looked like just more GW2 combat, but it turned out really smooth and felt more like a Dark Souls single player than a MMORPG combat wise.

alphys
08-31-2021, 12:12 AM
So your gonna bag and post keys in exchange for the location of the Kelethin brothel?;););););)

Tethler
08-31-2021, 12:47 AM
Haha, I didn't even know the streamer contest was a thing.

I just remembered a super cool PvP feature that impressed me in a beta. Crouching (reduces range players can see your nameplate) and going prone (further reduces range to like 5 meters unless someone mouses over you directly) being functionally useful was such a cool concept.

Saw a video on reddit of a group of like 5 or 6 ice gauntlet users prone in the bushes along a road as a 20-30 person squad rolled past. They jumped out and aoe'd like 3/4 of them down before dying. Super useful mechanic for ambushing high-traffic areas as well as an excape mechanism in high-foliage areas.

Mblake1981
08-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Controller would suit this game's action combat quite well I think. I'm pretty much exclusively a keyboard and mouse MMO player, but I'd consider buying a controller for this.

https://twitter.com/TrashHeap64/status/1419149185773936644

https://i.imgur.com/mhAmt8E.png

I think that will work in it's favor overall because you are much more likely to fire it up on the sofa, use modern matchmaking and voice chat and play a few hours than to fire up PC and sit down to play without tabbing out every few minutes to shitpost.

https://bhagpuss.blogspot.com/2019/04/there-is-no-mystery-left-everquest.html

"I find that playing on console ... There are fewer distractions and I tend to play for longer sessions which also helps with immersion...

On the PC I’m constantly distracting myself with FOMO around Twitter or Discord. I run with 2 monitors and always have social media up on monitor two and constantly scan it. Because of this I just don’t “sink in” to a game quite as much; my attention is always divided."

Cecily
08-31-2021, 09:13 AM
Holy shit the pvp for this game looks fun. 1v1 looks great and group pvp omg all the arrows flying.

starkind
08-31-2021, 09:59 AM
they are gonna brain scan u all for the next segment of automation when u r near death and in the camps and new world is a stepping stone to train u all into really functional neural nets for the farms

FYI

Shawk
08-31-2021, 11:45 PM
they are gonna brain scan u all for the next segment of automation when u r near death and in the camps and new world is a stepping stone to train u all into really functional neural nets for the farms

FYI

Seek help.

Tethler
09-01-2021, 03:57 AM
https://twitter.com/TrashHeap64/status/1419149185773936644

https://i.imgur.com/mhAmt8E.png

https://bhagpuss.blogspot.com/2019/04/there-is-no-mystery-left-everquest.html

Oh man, I would never play EQ on a console. Too much going on with 8 available spells, and text input. New world has 3 combat abilities. Action combat dodge rolls and stuff would work really smoothly as well on a controller. I'd likely also want to use a keyboard together with it for group chat.

Tethler
09-01-2021, 04:02 AM
Holy shit the pvp for this game looks fun. 1v1 looks great and group pvp omg all the arrows flying.

I look forward to diving into the pvp end of things at launch. I did very little in the closed beta.

There is no level range for PvP, so a level 20 can get attacked by a level 40, but there is gear/level scaling, so while the higher level will have better passives from effects on gear and higher weapon proficiency, it's possible to take down someone 20-30 levels over you if you outplay them pretty hard. I kinda like this approach as it opens up a lot more pvp opportunities instead of seeing flagged people all over the place that you aren't allowed to fight since they are 5 levels above or below you.

Nocht
09-01-2021, 05:00 AM
Oh man, I would never play EQ on a console. Too much going on with 8 available spells, and text input. New world has 3 combat abilities. Action combat dodge rolls and stuff would work really smoothly as well on a controller. I'd likely also want to use a keyboard together with it for group chat.

EQOA wasn't really like EQ, it was streamlined for the console and was kinda like cruise control. It was still a pretty fun game though despite what some of the hardcore EQ hipsters might tell you, but they tend to only like EQ and no other games at all lol. A keyboard was definitely required.

I would of stuck with it but I ended up getting into FF11 when it launched and couldn't really justify a sub because I was already juggling a main in EQ at the time.

starkind
09-01-2021, 08:47 AM
Seek help.

u've already been brainscanned

definatly a new world npc

Tethler
09-02-2021, 03:56 AM
EQOA wasn't really like EQ, it was streamlined for the console and was kinda like cruise control. It was still a pretty fun game though despite what some of the hardcore EQ hipsters might tell you, but they tend to only like EQ and no other games at all lol. A keyboard was definitely required.

I would of stuck with it but I ended up getting into FF11 when it launched and couldn't really justify a sub because I was already juggling a main in EQ at the time.

Huh, interesting. I had never even looked into it. Didn't realize it was so different.

Mblake1981
09-02-2021, 05:06 AM
Huh, interesting. I had never even looked into it. Didn't realize it was so different.

PnoidygX3ko

mL2LiftxD2U

Giving this unironic praise is like watching the decline of
[H]ardforum as they began fellating console products.

Remember, MS got into the console market because they
feared the Sony PS2 would "kill PC gaming". How ironic it
is when they removed all the 'PC' from the products anyway.

Zuranthium
09-02-2021, 03:31 PM
EQOA wasn't really like EQ, it was streamlined for the console and was kinda like cruise control. It was still a pretty fun game though despite what some of the hardcore EQ hipsters might tell you, but they tend to only like EQ and no other games at all lol.

I played the EQOA beta, which incidentally also meant I had free copy of the game and 1-month subscription after release. It wasn't very good and I didn't play more after that, but it was kind of nice to be in a populated version of the "Old World" again, considering what EQ Live had become by that point.

Anyway about New World, the caster class design seems too weak for me to want to play it.

Tunabros
09-02-2021, 03:35 PM
so did we just forget about pantheon: rise of the fallen?

Jibartik
09-02-2021, 04:08 PM
yes.

Tethler
09-06-2021, 10:30 AM

I'll give Pantheon a shot if it releases. New World, however, releases in a few weeks.

Baler
09-06-2021, 01:37 PM
New World Order from amazon

imperiouskitten
09-06-2021, 07:55 PM
its a MMO where you scream threats thruogh peoples Alexa devices and browbeat them into buying products from Amazon to lvl up

Tethler
09-06-2021, 11:27 PM
its a MMO where you scream threats thruogh peoples Alexa devices and browbeat them into buying products from Amazon to lvl up

goog meme.

Seriously though, I was a little concerned what the in-game cash shop situation would be like, cause you know, Amazon. The game does not have a subscription, so the monetization is "box sales" + cash shop. That said, they have stated that the cash shop is just cosmetics. No pay-to-win stuff apparently. We'll see if it stays that way.

Anyway about New World, the caster class design seems too weak for me to want to play it.

I totally get that, especially coming from a game like EQ with a bunch of classic dedicated D&D style caster classes. I guess the new world approach is that no characters innately have magic. Like, they just use an item that enables limited magic abilities. If spell users had a big arsenal of tricks, it would probably cause a lot of balance issues for PvP since all other weapon types have 3 activated cooldown abilities. It's best to think of Life staff/Ice gauntlet/Void gauntlet functionally as an elemental variety of ranged weapon.

Nocht
09-07-2021, 03:41 AM

Its not out yet mang.

Mblake1981
09-07-2021, 04:57 AM
That said, they have stated that the cash shop is just cosmetics.

The fall of whatever gaming was, and it was already somewhat shameful to start with.

Tethler
09-07-2021, 06:05 AM
The fall of whatever gaming was, and it was already somewhat shameful to start with.

Agree. I hate cash shops. I'm mostly ok with cosmetic only since it doesn't impact gameplay. When it becomes pay to win, to hell with that. Or things like xp boosters. If people feel they want ro spend real money to avoid actually playing your game, it's a sign your game isn't good.

That said, pretty much every single new online game has a cash shop. So if that's your hard line, you'll probably never play any new game. I like to try lots of new games, so it's something I just put up with.

Mblake1981
09-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Agree. I hate cash shops. I'm mostly ok with cosmetic only since it doesn't impact gameplay. When it becomes pay to win, to hell with that. Or things like xp boosters. If people feel they want ro spend real money to avoid actually playing your game, it's a sign your game isn't good.

That said, pretty much every single new online game has a cash shop. So if that's your hard line, you'll probably never play any new game. I like to try lots of new games, so it's something I just put up with.

Original EQ is my basis for judging any new online Windows game. Looks are tied to items.

I still keep an eye out for new stuff. https://twitter.com/LovelyHellplace

imperiouskitten
09-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Original EQ is my basis for judging any new online Windows game. Looks are tied to items.

I still keep an eye out for new stuff. https://twitter.com/LovelyHellplace

yo this guy calls out his pronouns in his twitter. I don't think you should be supporting him, he belongs to me

Mblake1981
09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
yo this guy calls out his pronouns in his twitter. I don't think you should be supporting him, he belongs to me

yo daw check it out all i seens is dis game rit here. I don't think you understand the complaint, the one that is said.

imperiouskitten
09-07-2021, 04:11 PM
yo daw check it out all i seens is dis game rit here. I don't think you understand the complaint, the one that is said.

well who can tru-ly know the depths of this longing. even Tchaikovsky couldnt communicate it in structure. i will leave this pertinent sound here as evidence of empathy.

uZmLx4w2VHo

when the times and a martial society lock up your heart in a freezer

Mblake1981
09-07-2021, 04:20 PM
well who can tru-ly know the depths of this longing. even Tchaikovsky couldnt communicate it in structure. i will leave this pertinent sound here as evidence of empathy.

[Russian Media]

when the times and a martial society lock up your heart in a freezer

I have never once not clicked View Post after putting someone on ignore so I dont do it anymore.

Look at that, the [REDACTED] have hijacked another thread to talk about themselves.

The only recourse is to talk with you.

aEUB29yU-pA

Tethler
09-08-2021, 11:10 AM
If anyone is interested, New World open beta stress test starts in 1 day and lasts for 3 days. No pre-order needed, open to everyone. Just go to the New World store page on steam and click the opt-in beta button. Kill a little time, see if you like it.

Open Beta will begin on September 9 at 7:00AM PT (2:00PM UTC) and continue until September 12 at 11:59PM PT (6:59AM UTC).

Jibartik
09-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Open beta right now

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/open-beta

HOW TO ACCESS THE OPEN BETA
We’re doing things a little differently this time around. With Open Beta there will be no Steam keys to redeem. Instead, we are using a new feature called Steam Playtest. Interested players will be able to request access beginning on September 8 at 7:00AM PT (2:00PM UTC). To request access, follow these steps:

Open Steam
Navigate to the New World Steam page
Scroll down a bit and you will see “Join the New World Open Beta Playtest”
Click “Request Access”

When the Open Beta begins on the 9th, you will receive an email to whichever email you have tied to your Steam account, letting you know that you can now download and play in the New World Open Beta!

Tunabros
09-09-2021, 01:07 PM
sick

I have to try this out

hopefully it isn't just another cash grab like Fallout 76

Jibartik
09-09-2021, 01:13 PM
sick

I have to try this out

hopefully it isn't just another cash grab like Fallout 76

I have a good feeling about this one.

https://i.imgur.com/dnwKPVo.png

Tunabros
09-09-2021, 01:18 PM
I was actually dumb enough to preorder fallout 76

they sure do know how to make a damn good commercial

the gameplay is alright but my god there were so many bugs

and no refunds!

Tethler
09-13-2021, 11:59 PM
3-day open beta/stress test finished. Played a little up to level 20 is check out weapon skill changes. Things I noticed:

-server stability much improved
-level scaling in pvp very different, reduced by a lot. level 20 gets their shit pushed in against targets 10+ levels higher
-lots of bug fixes
-wasn't in patch notes, but NPC AI seemed a little better. Didn't have mobs get stuck in pathing loops like happened occasionally on closed beta.
-town board missions tuned down and no longer give ridiculous xp (good to reduce leveling rate)

Overall, impressed. Bit more polished. Looking forward to launch on the 28th.

Anyone else jump in the open beta? What did you think?

bubur
09-14-2021, 01:02 AM
does it still melt gpus

Tunabros
09-14-2021, 01:04 AM
I never heard back from them so I didn't get to try out the game =(

Tethler
09-14-2021, 01:22 AM
does it still melt gpus

It did (kinda) brick a handful of GPUs. In the previous beta test, the default option was an unlimited frame rate, so your GPU would go into overdrive when the game launched until you went to options and set a limit.

The GPUs that burned out were sent to manufacturers which identified faults in the soldering in the cards and were replaced by manufacturers for the few affected.

Amazon has rightly set default framerate at 60fps.

Tethler
09-14-2021, 01:23 AM
I never heard back from them so I didn't get to try out the game =(

Wow, I hadn't heard that anyone was rejected, being a stress test and all. I just pushed the opt in button on steam on the 8th, and game was playable on the 9th. :(

Jibartik
09-14-2021, 01:28 AM
We should all make sure we play on the same server this time, bubur..

Tunabros
09-14-2021, 01:40 AM
TBH I'm more excited for Pantheon

I'm gonna go either as a human or dwarf cleric

let's do this

Bardp1999
09-14-2021, 02:39 PM

let's do this

This game will actually launch though

Bardp1999
09-14-2021, 02:47 PM
i havnt been excited about New World because it looks like more of the same shit every MMO has tried to do (become WoW) but there is literally nothing i am very excited about game wise so I may give it a whirl

Tethler
09-15-2021, 01:18 AM
i havnt been excited about New World because it looks like more of the same shit every MMO has tried to do (become WoW) but there is literally nothing i am very excited about game wise so I may give it a whirl

Honestly, I kinda felt the same way as you. I hadn't been following development and had only heard the name here and there. One of the youtubers I watch started uploading closed beta vids and I thought it looked alright. 40 bucks and no sub is cheap, so I figured if it sucked it was no big loss. Something about this game is way more addictive than I expected and I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I don't plan to quit p99, but New World is definitely gonna gonna eat into the time I spend here for a while. Will see if it's got legs once I get to the top end. Even if I hit cap and quit, it will still have been worth the 40 bucks.

Tethler
09-15-2021, 01:20 AM

let's do this

I'll definitely give that a shot as well if/when it launches. If it succeeds in pulling off the Everquest feel while being a bit more modern, I'm all for it. Pretty tight rope to walk though.

Tunabros
09-15-2021, 01:49 AM
I'll definitely give that a shot as well if/when it launches. If it succeeds in pulling off the Everquest feel while being a bit more modern, I'm all for it. Pretty tight rope to walk though.

Pantheon sounds amazing. But I'm not pre-ordering it. Got to wait for the reviews :D

But I don't feel like it catches an audience like how New World did

so that's one concern

Tethler
09-15-2021, 01:52 AM
Pantheon sounds amazing. But I'm not pre-ordering it. Got to wait for the reviews :D

But I don't feel like it catches an audience like how New World did

so that's one concern

Promotion will ramp up as it nears release, but yeah, it will still be a niche kind of game even then

Tethler
09-22-2021, 02:49 AM
Anyone else gonna jump into New World on the 28th when it launches? If so, what servers?

I got my brother to give the open beta a try, so if he decides to get the game we'll prob go for one of the west coast servers. If not, I'll likely go for one of the Sea servers that they announced so I don't have to play on 250-300ms.

starkind
09-22-2021, 08:18 AM
no thanks

not into super woke wierd amish culture thx

Shawk
09-22-2021, 01:23 PM
no thanks

can't say we will miss you :o

starkind
09-22-2021, 01:26 PM
I bet after playing NWO for a year u come back here and tell me i'm right about everything

i know dis amazon bl0ck magic

Homesteaded
09-22-2021, 01:32 PM
Anyone else gonna jump into New World on the 28th when it launches? If so, what servers?

I got my brother to give the open beta a try, so if he decides to get the game we'll prob go for one of the west coast servers. If not, I'll likely go for one of the Sea servers that they announced so I don't have to play on 250-300ms.

I'm intrigued but I haven't been able to find any compelling selling points. I haven't played or watched much though. Can you sell us on this game?

Shawk
09-22-2021, 02:02 PM
I bet after playing NWO for a year u come back here and tell me i'm right about everything

i know dis amazon bl0ck magic

No.

You are deranged.

I'm intrigued but I haven't been able to find any compelling selling points. I haven't played or watched much though. Can you sell us on this game?

If you have played games like Shadowbane, Eve, Lineage 2 then you will like the direction of this game because it hearkens back to those games in that it is very much a tri-realm/faction based kind of system, HUB based towns, Housing in the towns, Taxes to pay for war efforts etc. Part of why its so popular. The DAOC shards are all shutting down because of this game.

As a Solo player I like it because I can just do trades, the trades system is extremely rewarding. The Lore is very deep and important.

Either way, it is a very enjoyable "RPG" even without the MMO aspect.

And watching this is not worth doing. You have to play it to experience it, few people complain that at first the combat is a bit choppy but you get use to it because the choppy side of it is just a delay in your attacks for balancing but once you level up your weapons the combat speeds up significantly. Pretty sure you can get a refund through steam if you don't play for longer than 2-3 hours too.

Homesteaded
09-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Going to give this a spin, also going to do no research and pick what I want to play rather than attempting to min-max.

Tethler
09-23-2021, 12:08 AM
no thanks

What exactly is "woke" about the game? Legit have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I'm not quitting p99 for New World. It is possible to enjoy more than one game at a given time.

Tethler
09-23-2021, 11:01 AM
Huh, did not know it until like 3 mins ago, but John Smedley runs Amazon games studio.

Gravydoo II
09-23-2021, 01:08 PM
I heard its like, an exploration game, but if you can just google what needs to be done, whats the point..

The information age has ruined all the mystery of gaming.

Tunabros
09-23-2021, 01:28 PM
What exactly is "woke" about the game? Legit have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I'm not quitting p99 for New World. It is possible to enjoy more than one game at a given time.

ignore starkind, she's a weirdo/dumbass

Jibartik
09-23-2021, 01:52 PM
I hear this game is real racist.

Tethler
09-23-2021, 02:37 PM
I heard its like, an exploration game

not really. its an mmo with dark souls style combat and a good crafting system

Shawk
09-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Huh, did not know it until like 3 mins ago, but John Smedley runs Amazon games studio.

He doesn't run it. Someone asked him this a while back and he said he didn't have involvement with New World.

I assume he has a sort of producer type involvement in it though. Probably keeping the "no horses" thing locked down while the lazy dope dripping jem'hadar style mmorpg players require it to move faster and complete the game quicker else you know.. they might enjoy themselves inside a video game :o

Shawk
09-23-2021, 02:44 PM
not really. its an mmo with dark souls style combat and a good crafting system

It is very explorative. If you climb the tallest peak you will find something at the top usually, there is also ruins riddled everywhere and if you climb them or find where they lead there is lore and loot usually. The northern part of the map has a lot of exploration to it but is forced PVP, and I assume this will only double/quadruple in size on release or after release. Id say DS is very explorative too though, the lore is very hidden like it is with dark souls.

You can just pull up a wiki and ruin the experience but like Dark Souls if you just read the text of the items in the game you can figure out where to go next and when you do there is usually rewards of some kind.

Shawk
09-23-2021, 02:47 PM

Identity politics.

Now anything remotely considered "woke" is off limits to some politics bros.

And that name "New World" just tilts them.

Ooloo
09-23-2021, 03:10 PM
Woke can be hard to discern, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Remaking james bond as a crippled trans lesbian = pandering, patronizing and clearly woke

Starting a new franchise that happens to feature a crippled trans lesbian lead = perfectly respectable endeavor that could be great

I think people get them mixed up. Generally if it's an original franchise, and the "woke" stuff serves a sensible purpose narrative wise or lore wise, it doesn't bother me at all. People are definitely too sensitive about it now, kind of an over-correction.

Ooloo
09-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Basically don't force hot-button social issues into media just for it's own sake, because you're clearly pandering and trying to make yourself look virtuous, more than you actually care about those causes, and it's super obvious and a huge turn off.

If you really care about those causes, create a new vehicle for those kinds of stories and craft them with care and competence and they'll be just as good as any other good piece of media.

Horza
09-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Woke can be hard to discern, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Remaking james bond as a crippled trans lesbian = pandering, patronizing and clearly woke

Starting a new franchise that happens to feature a crippled trans lesbian lead = perfectly respectable endeavor that could be great

I think people get them mixed up. Generally if it's an original franchise, and the "woke" stuff serves a sensible purpose narrative wise or lore wise, it doesn't bother me at all. People are definitely too sensitive about it now, kind of an over-correction.

Trump lost, stupid.

Homesteaded
09-23-2021, 04:17 PM
Trump lost, stupid.

Someone with more time should parse all posts with Trump in them. Trump is used by him more than anyone else. It's okay Horza, the orange man can't hurt you for 3 more years. You're safe.

Ennewi
09-23-2021, 05:49 PM
Trump is used by him more than anyone else.

Who is Beelzebub?

Jibartik
09-23-2021, 05:56 PM
yall kids gonna be doing this for a living if you are lucky and we dont have a collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hermit

edit: just realized I posted this in the new world thread, well done scummers!

new world order, amiright??

Ennewi
09-23-2021, 06:21 PM
yall kids gonna be doing this for a living if you are lucky and we dont have a collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hermit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening

Jibartik
09-23-2021, 06:25 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening

The homeless in California, are just guerrilla garden, garden hermits :o

Tethler
09-23-2021, 08:47 PM
Can we not turn this thread into another garbage politics thread please?

Jibartik
09-23-2021, 08:53 PM
you know new world is about colonizing and enslaving locals and they replaced the locals with skeletons last minuet right? :o

Tethler
09-24-2021, 03:46 AM
you know new world is about colonizing and enslaving locals and they replaced the locals with skeletons last minuet right? :o

Thanks Jibs, very helpful. It's possible the whole island is like an indian burial ground and all the skeletons and zombies are the slain natives rising to defend their home. Like a colonial era Pet Sematary.

Bardp1999
09-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Anyone playing this trashcan - is it any fun?

Whale biologist
09-24-2021, 11:40 AM

I think it's down because dupe bug?

Cecily
09-24-2021, 12:08 PM
I've been hearing about that. My old Lineage clan has been abusing that on beta.

Tethler
09-24-2021, 09:40 PM
Global launch is on the 28th.

What dupe bug? I haven't heard anything about that.

starkind
09-24-2021, 09:52 PM
Unless the undead are made out of gluten free bread and the game underclocks your gpu n cpu to comply with California state regs, and you drink magical slurpies because potions are drug use.

I'm not interested really.

Tethler
09-24-2021, 10:11 PM
Unless the undead are made out of gluten free bread and the game underclocks your gpu n cpu to comply with California state regs, and you drink magical slurpies because potions are drug use.

I'm not interested really.

Thanks for contributing nothing, as usual.

starkind
09-24-2021, 10:33 PM
How come you can't play a bear in NW?

Whale biologist
09-24-2021, 11:00 PM
Global launch is on the 28th.

What dupe bug? I haven't heard anything about that.

There's been 3 patch attempts today but it's still there :(

Hoping they figure it out by launch

Tethler
09-25-2021, 01:17 AM

It's quite fun! Watching videos of the game and playing the game are totally different. (kinda like EQ, I guess)

I was lukewarm on it from seeing a few streamers, and said what the hell and gave it a shot. I don't know exactly what it is about their formula, but man, is it addicting. There are still a lot of things they can improve on, but It's a worthy game to spend 40 bucks on.

There is also no subscription for this game, so it's a one and done, which is also appealing.

Tethler
09-25-2021, 01:19 AM
There's been 3 patch attempts today but it's still there :(

Hoping they figure it out by launch

The servers aren't even up currently, and haven't been since the open beta finished on the 12th. What are you talking about?

Tethler
09-25-2021, 01:20 AM
How come you can't play a bear in NW?

How come you can't play a regular person on the p99 forums?

starkind
09-25-2021, 08:45 AM
How come you can't play a regular person on the p99 forums?

Most of my friends and family blame Eve. Although I feel that is mostly allegorical and corrupted myth. Lilith is a good contender.

If you want to be technical, I was actually probe-ably engineered to be a Jesus clone or supersoldier or something, yet, entropy, fate, made me this way instead.

Anyway. It's probably best to not overthink it.

NWorlds name is pretty offensive to me. As well as it's deeply Asian influences. In character design. Modeling. The architecture. Everything is fairly offensive.

As someone who grew up in west, out in Utah. I feel like it's a mockery of everything good about the turn of the century western Amerucan frontier.

Maybe the superwierdwokeness of it is it's strange attempt at multiculturalism that falls as flat on its face as some monolithic weird Amish homocultrurism. (Homogeneous)

Tethler
09-25-2021, 10:49 AM
What a weird take. Give me some examples of what is offensive.

The premise of the game is kinda like a bermuda triangle-esque place in the ocean that catches random ships and shipwrecks them on the island during the colonial era, hence the name and the available weapons, like musket.

It's definitely not turn of the century, unless you mean like 1800. They drew on several cultural themes because ships from various cultures would presumably be trapped there.

I think you're just way overthinking things.

Homesteaded
09-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Most of my friends and family blame Eve. Although I feel that is mostly allegorical and corrupted myth. Lilith is a good contender.

If you want to be technical, I was actually probe-ably engineered to be a Jesus clone or supersoldier or something, yet, entropy, fate, made me this way instead.

Anyway. It's probably best to not overthink it.

Main character syndrome in full-effect.

starkind
09-25-2021, 12:53 PM
Main character syndrome in full-effect.

At least I am not just another NPC in some CCP friendly colonialism simulation.

Tethler
09-26-2021, 03:44 AM
colonialism simulation.

:rolleyes:

Shawk
09-28-2021, 12:09 AM
Have fun everyone who is playing this. The rest of you maybe just fuck off and let people enjoy something?

starkind
09-28-2021, 06:59 AM
Have fun everyone who is playing this. The rest of you maybe just fuck off and let people enjoy something?

There's only 1 person here offering their own critical analysis. U can ezily ignore them or even agree and enjoy the game still.

Sometimes I play solitaire and tic tac toe by myself 2 :p

Shawk
09-28-2021, 02:43 PM
There's only 1 person here offering their own critical analysis. U can ezily ignore them or even agree and enjoy the game still.

1 person? person? now that is a debate.

Jibartik
09-28-2021, 02:49 PM
At least I am not just another NPC in some CCP friendly colonialism simulation.

lol

Ima play but this zinger is legendary

Tethler
09-29-2021, 09:53 AM

Does solitaire have a multiplayer option?

Whale biologist
09-29-2021, 11:21 AM
Did the dupe bug get fixed? It's online right

Jibartik
09-29-2021, 06:25 PM
I played a bit today and I just couldnt get into it. It felt like outward but I liked outward better, I mean by no means is outward as high quality as new world, but its not like new world looks that great either.

The music in outward, the overal magical vibe, I just felt that was more imersive.

Im just comparing it to a game I feel it's very simmilar to, but idk... I just dont like the "rust" vibe I get from playing this game so far, it's so alpha male feeling with the art and vibe.

outward is like beta male feathers and magic, that's more my speed.

Although outward is local coop and not mmo so apples to oranges, and so this is great because of that.. yeah idk, amazon hasnt grabbed me with this intro gameplay so far.

starkind
09-29-2021, 08:40 PM
Can't even swim in NW

Lewls.

starkind
09-29-2021, 08:46 PM
I played a bit today and I just couldnt get into it. It felt like outward but I liked outward better, I mean by no means is outward as high quality as new world, but its not like new world looks that great either.

The music in outward, the overal magical vibe, I just felt that was more imersive.

Im just comparing it to a game I feel it's very simmilar to, but idk... I just dont like the "rust" vibe I get from playing this game so far, it's so alpha male feeling with the art and vibe.

outward is like beta male feathers and magic, that's more my speed.

Although outward is local coop and not mmo so apples to oranges, and so this is great because of that.. yeah idk, amazon hasnt grabbed me with this intro gameplay so far.

Yeah. Pretty good analysis on feels.

I feel like NW definitely delivers on some things for some ppl and that's great and also a smart move from Amazon. Some people will fall in love with NW and that addictive toxic relationship will be solidly forged. Probably younger kids and more casual gamers who play only a few hours a night to begin with.

I don't like games my character can't swim in.

Surprisingly outward was one of like 2 exceptions to this rule. Mostly because outward is pretty unique and rich in its own right and way. Also the shore, water, wasn't completely neglected. That cave on the beach with its tides was a clever and classic move.

Jibartik
09-29-2021, 08:47 PM
they had that like, intro and I was so unintrosted.

Jibartik
09-29-2021, 08:51 PM
Btw tethlar I feel bad I know you are liking this game so i wont shit on it because I am wrong to it's an awesome game! I just am angry I cant be ogre.

Homesteaded
09-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Digging the crafting and gathering systems. Combat enjoyment is up to you to enjoy it and make use of abilities. You can use skill and timing to kill mobs higher level than you. Haven't PvP'd a ton but the few times I have it get your heart going.

So far so good.

Tunabros
09-30-2021, 02:49 PM
I can't stand the combat in this game tbh

It turns me off so much and I can't have fun in it

but I can see how it can be fun for others though

not my type of game but hope it does well

cd288
09-30-2021, 03:43 PM
I can't stand the combat in this game tbh

It turns me off so much and I can't have fun in it

but I can see how it can be fun for others though

not my type of game but hope it does well

It's a nice change of pace from classic EQ. Sometimes I want that quick type of twitch combat, other times I'd rather just chill with something simpler

Shawk
09-30-2021, 04:51 PM
It's a nice change of pace from classic EQ. Sometimes I want that quick type of twitch combat, other times I'd rather just chill with something simpler

https://i.imgur.com/RNQMx81.gif

starkind
09-30-2021, 05:03 PM

https://i.imgur.com/RNQMx81.gif

Yeah, I agree. I got my casual side games too. And I feel like New World will be fun for like a laid back humpday romp.

BlackBellamy
09-30-2021, 07:51 PM
This review is hilarious!

Lastly, the gathering professions were fun and novel at first until I chopped down my 500th tree and realized the only reward for doing so is that the next 1,000 trees I chop down can be slightly bigger. This must be some sort of Satanic bitcoin mining operation. Between fast travel expenses, extremely limited inventory space and storage being localized to certain towns, it feels like these design choices are meant to cause you real, physical pain.

starkind
10-01-2021, 08:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/3XPyJTk.jpg

Tethler
10-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Btw tethlar I feel bad I know you are liking this game so i wont shit on it because I am wrong to it's an awesome game! I just am angry I cant be ogre.

No worries Jibs. Not everyone likes every game. There are certain gameplay elements in New World that are big turn offs for some people, like the action combat. I get it.

I scratches an itch for me, so I'm having a good time with it so far. 😊

Tethler
10-01-2021, 10:57 PM
Can't even swim in NW

Lewls.

This actually cracks me up, every time. Crossing a river or lake totally submerged and walking like the fkn terminator across the bottom.

Though, I suppose in plate armor, nobody would be able to swim anyway. Maybe this is the most realistic version, haha.

mcoy
10-02-2021, 02:48 PM
I've only made it to level 10 so I don't have enough experience to form a definite opinion. So far my judgement is - it's not bad. It was only $40 so from that aspect it's at least reasonable. It doesn't have the "fear" that EQ still triggers in me. Though, to be fair, there's a dearth of games that do.

Will see what I think at level 20 - if I make it that far.

-Mcoy

cd288
10-06-2021, 08:35 AM
I've only made it to level 10 so I don't have enough experience to form a definite opinion. So far my judgement is - it's not bad. It was only $40 so from that aspect it's at least reasonable. It doesn't have the "fear" that EQ still triggers in me. Though, to be fair, there's a dearth of games that do.

Will see what I think at level 20 - if I make it that far.

-Mcoy

Yup, it definitely has the WoW system of death. Which is actually made even easier since you can build your camp anywhere so you can always have a close respawn point. You know death doesn't matter when people (like in WoW and other "modern" MMOs) use killing themselves as a way to fast travel via respawn at the nearest city.

Leveling seems to slow down more after level 20, but it's still mostly in line with modern MMO leveling speed. It's funny hearing some younger people complain that it takes them an hour or two to get a level, etc. I'm just like wow you really have no idea what we went through in EQ lol

BlackBellamy
10-06-2021, 12:40 PM
After they sell all those copies for $39 how are they going to pay for the bandwidth six months from now?

Skins?

I know they made like 25 million on the initial sales, but that money goes real quick when you have a big corporation doing big corporation things.

cd288
10-06-2021, 12:54 PM
After they sell all those copies for $39 how are they going to pay for the bandwidth six months from now?

Skins?

I know they made like 25 million on the initial sales, but that money goes real quick when you have a big corporation doing big corporation things.

To my knowledge they have a cosmetic cash shop right now, which as we've seen can be a large money maker for video game studios.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is willing to eat losses quarter over quarter in the future in order to have the game continue to go well. That would be totally consistent with Amazon's operating strategy when they have first delved into different areas in the past. They're willing to eat that loss for awhile in order to gain market share in the space; i.e. eat a loss for awhile on New World as long as overall the reception continues to be positive because it's part of Amazon's broader goal of establishing themselves as a reputable video game design studio, which means more and more money for them as they develop and release future games.

Tunabros
10-06-2021, 02:18 PM
I tried it out. It reminds me a lot of Destiny (if any you guys play that)

lots of grinding and searching of materials, crafting random items, grinding dungeons

pvp was just spam all your abilities and hope you hit something

multiple melee characters attacking 1 thing can be a clusterfuck

but the graphics are all alright and lag was pretty minimal

mcoy
10-06-2021, 04:54 PM
To my knowledge they have a cosmetic cash shop right now, which as we've seen can be a large money maker for video game studios.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is willing to eat losses quarter over quarter in the future in order to have the game continue to go well. That would be totally consistent with Amazon's operating strategy when they have first delved into different areas in the past. They're willing to eat that loss for awhile in order to gain market share in the space; i.e. eat a loss for awhile on New World as long as overall the reception continues to be positive because it's part of Amazon's broader goal of establishing themselves as a reputable video game design studio, which means more and more money for them as they develop and release future games.

Yup, loss-leaders are a common strategy. Also in this case they literally have their own hosting infrastructure service so I can't imagine "losing" an infinitesimal percentage of their business concerns them at all.

It's good marketing too - I wasn't on at launch, but I've seen exactly zero server issues and no login queues or anything that's plagued tons of other MMO releases.

-Mcoy

Tethler
10-11-2021, 12:11 AM
Just an update: Massive launch queues seem to be resolved. Few bugs here and there that are annoying (pinned quests disappearing, compass resource tracking disappearing, few other minor things) but nothing gamebreaking for me so far.

I'm level 43 and still enjoying the hell out of it. I was ahead of the leveling curve in the first week, but now I'm middle of the pack with quite of few of the sweaty no-lifers already 60 in the 13 days since launch.

Jibartik
10-11-2021, 01:04 AM
pics plz

saw a friends character looked p cool but not enough to get me to ruin my life and play an mmo rn

BlackBellamy
10-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Yup, loss-leaders are a common strategy. Also in this case they literally have their own hosting infrastructure service so I can't imagine "losing" an infinitesimal percentage of their business concerns them at all.

It's good marketing too - I wasn't on at launch, but I've seen exactly zero server issues and no login queues or anything that's plagued tons of other MMO releases.

-Mcoy

They don't have their own infrastructure. Amazon Studios is not the same entity that runs their cloud service. Those guys expect to be paid like anywhere else. Sure, there is discount for in-house services, but there's no way New World is getting anything for 'free'. There is internal billing going on, that's how taxes are evaded.

Because NW is not charging a monthly price, their revenue stream is sure to decrease as the initial surge dies down. The only answer to this is microtransactions, or let's not blow smoke up anyone's ass with corporate propaganda and call them what they really are; transactions.

There's only so many skins and useless doo-dads people can buy. We'll see if that's enough over long term or will it turn to pay-to-win idk.

cd288
10-11-2021, 10:13 AM
They don't have their own infrastructure. Amazon Studios is not the same entity that runs their cloud service. Those guys expect to be paid like anywhere else. Sure, there is discount for in-house services, but there's no way New World is getting anything for 'free'. There is internal billing going on, that's how taxes are evaded.

Because NW is not charging a monthly price, their revenue stream is sure to decrease as the initial surge dies down. The only answer to this is microtransactions, or let's not blow smoke up anyone's ass with corporate propaganda and call them what they really are; transactions.

There's only so many skins and useless doo-dads people can buy. We'll see if that's enough over long term or will it turn to pay-to-win idk.

But again, Amazon’s usual strategy when first entering a space is to be totally fine taking a loss as long as it helps build their brand. If they can make Amazon Games considered a legitimate development studio for the future, they will be totally fine taking a loss with New World. That’s completely consistent with their corporate strategy.

Knowledge
10-11-2021, 10:16 AM
Jeff Bezos is a punk.

Tethler
10-11-2021, 11:42 PM

For transparency's sake, I feel I should mention this. I fully expect New World with go to some level of pay-to-win in the future. During the final alpha test they introduced the cash shop and it included some pay-to-win elements. There was a strong community backlash and the shop was changed to cosmetic only. When they announced the change, their wording was vague, but they did specifically mention that the cash shop would be cosmetic only throughout 2021.

A lot of people took this to mean that they would phase in some pay-to-win elements in 2022. The number 1 thing that most players expect to see in the shop is Azoth. Azoth is a resource that is usually acquired slowly through quest completions, killing of certain monsters, or gathering tradeskills if you have a specific perk on your gathering tool. Going from 0 azoth to the 1000 cap could take several hours grinding. This resource is expended for fast traveling and also used in crafting to increase the chance to get extra bonuses on crafted items.

Personally, I hope they don't go this route and just pump out cool cosmetics and decorative housing items, but it's Amazon, so yeah...

Tethler
10-11-2021, 11:45 PM
pics plz

saw a friends character looked p cool but not enough to get me to ruin my life and play an mmo rn

I have taken a total of 0 screenshots while playing so far. I'll try to remember to take a few next time I play. :)

Mblake1981
10-12-2021, 04:55 AM
https://i.imgur.com/EikyMDJ.jpg

BlackBellamy
10-12-2021, 08:54 AM
If they can make Amazon Games considered a legitimate development studio for the future, they will be totally fine taking a loss with New World. That’s completely consistent with their corporate strategy.

Since Amazon Games formed it has consistently delivered trash and cancellations. Look at their release history it's all low quality mobile junk until they started to abort and cancel big-boy games. "inability to see a sustained future" regarding Crucible doesn't say much about their planning and forecasts and is likely the same phrase they will be trotting out again. I would admire the persistence but this isn't some passionate dreamers; this is a corporate idea of what game development is and what the final product should be. I'm sure the individual developers have creativity and passion, but that is plainly missing from the upper echelons.

The only reason so many people are playing is because people are just hungry for a new MMO. It's been years since we had a AAA release and people are checking it out in numbers.

Speaking of so many people, what do they have now like 600 servers? I wonder how they are planning to handle server mergers. Because the server has a persistent control map, right? So all the companies lose all their control and it basically resets? I wouldn't like that as a player, but what else can they do?

Jibartik
10-12-2021, 12:56 PM
I wonder how FF14s numbers are holding comparatively, it was having a big run this last 6 months.

cd288
10-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Since Amazon Games formed it has consistently delivered trash and cancellations. Look at their release history it's all low quality mobile junk until they started to abort and cancel big-boy games. "inability to see a sustained future" regarding Crucible doesn't say much about their planning and forecasts and is likely the same phrase they will be trotting out again. I would admire the persistence but this isn't some passionate dreamers; this is a corporate idea of what game development is and what the final product should be. I'm sure the individual developers have creativity and passion, but that is plainly missing from the upper echelons.

The only reason so many people are playing is because people are just hungry for a new MMO. It's been years since we had a AAA release and people are checking it out in numbers.

Speaking of so many people, what do they have now like 600 servers? I wonder how they are planning to handle server mergers. Because the server has a persistent control map, right? So all the companies lose all their control and it basically resets? I wouldn't like that as a player, but what else can they do?

Except that’s kind of a different situation from what we were talking about. Your original discussion was about the economic longevity of the game (I.e. even if it’s a good game is it really economically viable without pay to win mechanics etc.). I said I think Amazon is willing to take an economic loss overall on new world if the game stays good and therefore allows them to develop a positive reputation in the space. Thereby netting them much bigger profits in the future via expanded product lines.

Now you’re totally shifting the argument to whether the game is good in general which is a separate debate.

Mblake1981
10-12-2021, 01:46 PM
Corporate gaming, Hasbro owns the D&D titties.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hasbro-ceo-takes-medical-leave-effective-immediately-11633908662

WoTC are also trash.

Tactical Studies Rules is prime nerd though.

https://i.imgur.com/C97QV1W.jpg

Shawk
10-13-2021, 11:09 AM
The best part of New World is when people* ask what you are playing you can say New World Order created by Jeff Bezos. Endless entertainment.

BlackBellamy
10-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Except that’s kind of a different situation from what we were talking about. Your original discussion was about the economic longevity of the game (I.e. even if it’s a good game is it really economically viable without pay to win mechanics etc.). I said I think Amazon is willing to take an economic loss overall on new world if the game stays good and therefore allows them to develop a positive reputation in the space. Thereby netting them much bigger profits in the future via expanded product lines.

Now you’re totally shifting the argument to whether the game is good in general which is a separate debate.
Oh yeah, imo the two are tightly related.

I spent 38 minutes playing the game and realized it's total and utter trash. Not like oh we didn't know what we were doing trash. No no no. It's intentional trash. It has to be because it's literally impossible for passionate and creative people to create dreck like this. I won't provide my litany because you're either sugar-coating a pile of turds in an attempt to get a new MMO fix or you see it for what it is. I'm not Roddy Piper with the glasses, don't care about convincing people it's actually crap on their plate.

The thing is the suckage is just so obvious the product is definitely going to be bleeding players very fast. Lol I mean it's even conceivable the management will get a bonus for shutting down servers early in order to save money in the long run. One thing they won't be doing is carrying this wreck any longer than they have to. The only thing these people are concerned about is coming out of this disaster clean, so they gonna close it up before it has a chance to generate any losses and call it a win-win. I understand what you're saying about long term investment and your point about the game staying good, but my argument is the game is incredibly bad to begin with, and just to bring it up to a minimum level of expectations will cost tons of time and money and it won't be good then either, just acceptable. Management knows this and they will blow very well rendered smoke up everyone's asses until the moment they turn out the lights and take their remaining money with them.

cd288
10-13-2021, 12:40 PM

I spent 38 minutes playing the game and realized it's total and utter trash. Not like oh we didn't know what we were doing trash. No no no. It's intentional trash. It has to be because it's literally impossible for passionate and creative people to create dreck like this. I won't provide my litany because you're either sugar-coating a pile of turds in an attempt to get a new MMO fix or you see it for what it is. I'm not Roddy Piper with the glasses, don't care about convincing people it's actually crap on their plate.

The thing is the suckage is just so obvious the product is definitely going to be bleeding players very fast. Lol I mean it's even conceivable the management will get a bonus for shutting down servers early in order to save money in the long run. One thing they won't be doing is carrying this wreck any longer than they have to. The only thing these people are concerned about is coming out of this disaster clean, so they gonna close it up before it has a chance to generate any losses and call it a win-win. I understand what you're saying about long term investment and your point about the game staying good, but my argument is the game is incredibly bad to begin with, and just to bring it up to a minimum level of expectations will cost tons of time and money and it won't be good then either, just acceptable. Management knows this and they will blow very well rendered smoke up everyone's asses until the moment they turn out the lights and take their remaining money with them.

Idk, I find it enjoyable for a "modern" MMO that's more in the WoW style rather than the old EQ style. I like the crafting system a lot, although there are some areas where it could be improved in terms of making weaponry actually viable for your level by the time you are able to craft it.

The biggest gap in the game that I view as most problematic for its viability is the PvP system pre-level 60. In order to really get involved with the faction system, wars, etc. you have to be level 60. The ability to increase your faction's influence through repetitive PvP missions pre-level 60 (that really have nothing to do with PvP, they are just quests that you have to do while flagged for PvP) is a bad and boring system and essentially makes the whole system susceptible to the meta strategy becoming guilds zerging and just overhwelming the opposing faction with numbers so you can't even attempt to stop them from completing the quests. Also, the ability to unflag for PvP (as long as you're not doing the quests) means an opposing faction can have players following your faction's force around and letting the other faction know exactly what you're doing, and you can't do a thing about it since they aren't flagged for PvP.

There are things that are fun in this game and the faction system and wars are a cool thing (reminds me of the original Planetside, man how I miss that game), but there are definitely things in that system that need to be ironed out. I wouldn't say the game is terrible though.

Shawk
10-13-2021, 01:28 PM

A lot of words with no substance. The Cynical Jaded MMORPG player, bitter as ever.

imperiouskitten
10-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Im just saying, and it is a fact, that u cant spell Gary Gygax without Gay Gay

Homesteaded
10-13-2021, 03:50 PM
The biggest problem I find with nearly all modern games is there is this overall sense that I'm just playing the game exactly how the devs want me to play. There is a real lack of adventure and choice. It's like a build your own adventure book where all routes lead to the same spot and choices had no real impact.

Also this mechanic that I need to gather 100 Wood to go to level 1, then 200 to level to, and then 400 to level 3...just these massive numbers that are incredibly demoralizing when you realize it's just more of the same but with different materials. Or even worse, just a shit ton of the same material you've been gathering the whole time. This has to go away and it's just flat out lazy poor design.

I just started UO Outlands and the depth that these old games have is just amazing. There are a shit ton of skills, a world that is huge with surprises and new features that pop out as you level. Contrast that with modern games and it's no wonder UO and Everquest are still popular.

Phatso
10-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Any old schoolers playing this? I played Chowda in classic into early Velious. Looking for a new server probably covenant side. Just looking for a balanced server.

Tethler
10-17-2021, 11:54 PM

Can't take this post seriously. 38 minutes is enough to tell you if you like or dislike the playstyle, sure. But being able to judge the overall quality of a game after less than an hour? lol

In that time you probably got to level 5 and maybe tried 2 different weapons with 1-2 skills unlocked in each. You certainly didn't get to crafting, PvP, dungeons, or anything else. Come back and offer a critique after you've played enough to know what you're talking about.

This game is far from perfect and has quite a few things that do need improvement, sure. But it's not even close to "total and utter trash".

imperiouskitten
10-18-2021, 06:14 AM
I saw it's been killing 3090s because the piss poor engine taxes the GPU like a stress test and the power delivery system on some models just fries the card instead of handling it. Lol. The malfunction happens in such a way that you set your power limit, but the engine somehow draws MASSIVE power before the power limiter kicks in. Hilarious compound failure.

but yea I get it if you run a poor machine and a big fan of Bezos and his...interest in blood goblet Cortez and his new hispanic BEAUTY gf it probably looks aite. just LOVE that ART DIRECTION :D :rolleyes:

Also doesn't it have like no vendor NPCs? So Bezos makes a free market simulator and for some reason puts an ugly ass Spanish Imperial skin on it, I just love that. And it's coded like Vanguard. I hope he lets smallpox back out of the labs so we can larp the whole game. In the meantime, who wouldn't want to soak in such a artisticly rich environs? :o

Swish
10-18-2021, 06:48 AM
The biggest problem I find with nearly all modern games is there is this overall sense that I'm just playing the game exactly how the devs want me to play. There is a real lack of adventure and choice. It's like a build your own adventure book where all routes lead to the same spot and choices had no real impact.

Also this mechanic that I need to gather 100 Wood to go to level 1, then 200 to level to, and then 400 to level 3...just these massive numbers that are incredibly demoralizing when you realize it's just more of the same but with different materials. Or even worse, just a shit ton of the same material you've been gathering the whole time. This has to go away and it's just flat out lazy poor design.

I just started UO Outlands and the depth that these old games have is just amazing. There are a shit ton of skills, a world that is huge with surprises and new features that pop out as you level. Contrast that with modern games and it's no wonder UO and Everquest are still popular.

Is there any lore or depth? It looks like a bunch of random areas with random names for the sake of it (like the Fortnite map).

EQ had replayability because there were so many classes, doesn't seem like there's any subtle differences here... tank/healer/ranged dps. Kinda dumbed down. I'd give the pvp a try if I bought it but it looks like Alterac Valley.

starkind
10-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Corporate gaming, Hasbro owns the D&D titties.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hasbro-ceo-takes-medical-leave-effective-immediately-11633908662

WoTC are also trash.

Tactical Studies Rules is prime nerd though.

https://i.imgur.com/C97QV1W.jpg

Man that thumbnail.

Plz see a doctor.

BlackBellamy
10-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Can't take this post seriously. 38 minutes is enough to tell you if you like or dislike the playstyle, sure. But being able to judge the overall quality of a game after less than an hour? lol

In that time you probably got to level 5 and maybe tried 2 different weapons with 1-2 skills unlocked in each. You certainly didn't get to crafting, PvP, dungeons, or anything else. Come back and offer a critique after you've played enough to know what you're talking about.

This game is far from perfect and has quite a few things that do need improvement, sure. But it's not even close to "total and utter trash".

I got to level zero! I created a character that looked like every other character. I was the same height and body style as everyone else. I was the same race. I went out and saw some guys with these huge anime-hammers like 10 feet long just floating on their backs. And then I watched some people fight and it was all this giant jumble of explosions and whooshes and sparklies with numbers flying everywhere.

I didn't do any quests because they are all the same trivial ask. I didn't do any crafting because it's just makework to keep you busy. I didn't go into any dungeons because there weren't any. I didn't participate in pvp because that is locked behind 100s of hours of pointless crafting, I mean pointless other than serving as a gate to the content you actually want.

Then I looked at their chat functionality. Then I logged off and got a refund. Complete and utter trash buoyed by graphics that they obviously spent all their time and money on to hook people in with flash over substance.

I can't think of a single mechanic or feature in this game that is innovative. It's literally all the same recycled ideas from a bunch of different games.

I don't need to swim in shit for six hours. I smelled it before I even jumped in.

I understand why people want to give this soulless adventure in corporate game-making a shot. Because there hasn't been a major mmo release in 4 years and the most popular one is 20 years old and the highest rated one is 9. However, New World is junk. Sorry. I really am. I wish New World was worth it, just to keep the mmo genre solid and fruitful.

Mblake1981
10-18-2021, 11:14 AM

I watched a couple nit-wits on Youtube try P99 (and classic EQ) for the first time. They made a couple dwarves and bumblefucked around for 45 minutes trying to find what to do because nothing told them or pointed a direction. They both disliked the game and turned it off.

I went to the comments section and typed out a piece similar to yours then hit erase. I remembered no one had to sell me on EQ. My nerd boner was max stiffy without any of that.

Jibartik
10-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Is there any lore or depth? It looks like a bunch of random areas with random names for the sake of it (like the Fortnite map).

EQ had replayability because there were so many classes, doesn't seem like there's any subtle differences here... tank/healer/ranged dps. Kinda dumbed down. I'd give the pvp a try if I bought it but it looks like Alterac Valley.

Mix and match any of nine race/class combinations!

https://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.png
https://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/2FvbrpL.png

starkind
10-18-2021, 12:32 PM

That is the sexiest most attractive half elf.

Shawk
10-18-2021, 01:08 PM
I got to level zero! I created a character that looked like every other character. I was the same height and body style as everyone else. I was the same race. I went out and saw some guys with these huge anime-hammers like 10 feet long just floating on their backs. And then I watched some people fight and it was all this giant jumble of explosions and whooshes and sparklies with numbers flying everywhere.

I didn't do any quests because they are all the same trivial ask. I didn't do any crafting because it's just makework to keep you busy. I didn't go into any dungeons because there weren't any. I didn't participate in pvp because that is locked behind 100s of hours of pointless crafting, I mean pointless other than serving as a gate to the content you actually want.

Then I looked at their chat functionality. Then I logged off and got a refund. Complete and utter trash buoyed by graphics that they obviously spent all their time and money on to hook people in with flash over substance.

I can't think of a single mechanic or feature in this game that is innovative. It's literally all the same recycled ideas from a bunch of different games.

I don't need to swim in shit for six hours. I smelled it before I even jumped in.

I understand why people want to give this soulless adventure in corporate game-making a shot. Because there hasn't been a major mmo release in 4 years and the most popular one is 20 years old and the highest rated one is 9. However, New World is junk. Sorry. I really am. I wish New World was worth it, just to keep the mmo genre solid and fruitful.

No one ever dreams of being a cynic.

Sorry you're afflicted.

I watched a couple nit-wits on Youtube try P99 (and classic EQ) for the first time. They made a couple dwarves and bumblefucked around for 45 minutes trying to find what to do because nothing told them or pointed a direction. They both disliked the game and turned it off.

I went to the comments section and typed out a piece similar to yours then hit erase. I remembered no one had to sell me on EQ. My nerd boner was max stiffy without any of that.

Did they go on a forum and talk about how trash it was and insult the player base? Even Fortnite has merits. Sad so many people are jaded little angst cynics and can't see them. Gamers today are worthless, in the day everyone knew how to mod a game, how to make their own game even.. Now? Most gamers don't even know what an executable is.. While Unreal Engine makes it so easy a child can do it, most still refuse to jump on a game engine and prove their worth. Cynical "game analysts, journalists" are a fucking joke, that is why they don't really exist anymore.

The only value you as a gamer have, with your opinions on what makes a good game: Is making games. That is how it worked.. Now gamers are just lazy bitches who think their opinions matter to anyone. Almost every "issue" people have in New World is by design, Same can be said for Everquest, Dark Souls, EVE, Fortnite..

It is possible to make another Everquest like game in Unreal Engine or Unity.. It isn't even that hard, lazy useless gamers just have to stop being gamers for a minute and spend their time in an Engine, like with LanternEQ.com for example. In the 80s-90s a lot of gamers were devs as well, the dev to gamer ratio was like 1 to 10 back then, in 2020 the dev to gamer ratio is about 0.00001 to 10. That is the only reason why you don't see an explosion of games today like we did back then, no one is making them, everyone is playing them.

I get not liking a game, but hating a game? Calling it trash? 12 year old going on 32 kind of incel energy.

Tunabros
10-18-2021, 01:19 PM
I feel like there were never any good MMOs

it's a dying genre that struggles to keep itself alive after like a year

Jibartik
10-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Personally I think the next mmo wll have to be something immersivly new.. that's the track record so far.

First muds were new, something you could immerse yourself in to experience a fantasy story.

Then UO added 2D to it, a new way to immerse yourself in the stories.

then EQ added 3D to it... you were finally in the world!

Perhaps a VR game will be the next big MMO?

Or maybe a more realistic world to live in with like AI and machine learning?

WoW was really the only one to appear after a predecessor did the new immersive thing first, and was able to really take hold as the ruling MMO for that generation. I think that's because they took what EQ introduced to the nerd world, and introduced it to the outside world. So in a way it was able to be a "first" without being the first.

Shawk
10-18-2021, 01:48 PM

As usual most people skip the lore and just have a second monitor up with a Wikipedia or some shit telling them where to go next.

I have had a lot of fun with the lore and exploration, but you actually have to be involved and read/listen to the clues etc that the game is giving.

Personally I think the next mmo wll have to be something immersivly new..

To be immersed requires actually getting into it, reading.. caring.. imagination. All games have qualities that allow immersion, today people aren't invested in games like that anymore, they are usually half into some political bullshit debate on their fakebook while playing, getting angry.. Games are for children or at least people who can try to be a child for a few minutes while they play some pointless thing with a nice story. It really doesn't matter how good a game is any more because people are not willing to immerse themselves.

This idea that some artist is gonna create some immersive experience is some uncanny valley at this point. The key is literally just imagination. Something gamers use to allow themselves to have, like playing D&D you have to actually pretend and imagine, all gamers in 80s/90s had this quality but most have been spoiled and pampered into cynicism.

VR is very immersive ya. But in a forced way, your brain is tricked into believing you are there. This is a something all people can do with their brains through imagination. People just don't read books anymore, so ya they have lost it.

Jibartik
10-18-2021, 01:55 PM
kids dont play with 3 1/4" action figures anymore.

that was the old way to get immersed.

Shawk
10-18-2021, 02:05 PM
kids dont play with 3 1/4" action figures anymore.

that was the old way to get immersed.

Most gamers, at least the vocal ones aren't humble enough to know that this is all we are doing in video games today. No one is roleplaying in New World, or at least no one I have seen. Really kind of indicative of what being a gamer is today in comparison. Nothing has changed other than gamers..

The new way spits on immersion.. To say VR immerses you but books cannot, this is why people are dumb, no ability to create their own immersion anymore, just reliant on devs to immerse them, which is near impossible irregardless of how pretty the graphics are. Everquest 2 showed off the Uncanny Valley, and that lead to Everquest Next not being able to finish... They lost their principle core values.

Jibartik
10-18-2021, 02:28 PM
books are dumb

Gustoo
10-18-2021, 03:10 PM
It is easier to roleplay in text based worlds when people can type words to sound role playish.

It is harder to roleplay when everyone is using voice comms and sounds like a nerd at a desk and is talking about netflix or something.

Too bad its so easy to just have a second rig to use voice chat on. If I made a game it would force disable mics during play but it would be really easy to undermine with a spare cell phone or laptop so would be pointless.

unsunghero
10-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Most gamers, at least the vocal ones aren't humble enough to know that this is all we are doing in video games today. No one is roleplaying in New World, or at least no one I have seen. Really kind of indicative of what being a gamer is today in comparison. Nothing has changed other than gamers..

The new way spits on immersion.. To say VR immerses you but books cannot, this is why people are dumb, no ability to create their own immersion anymore, just reliant on devs to immerse them, which is near impossible irregardless of how pretty the graphics are. Everquest 2 showed off the Uncanny Valley, and that lead to Everquest Next not being able to finish... They lost their principle core values.

Gamers today are lazy as F. Pay 2 win has always existed but I feel like it’s never been as prevalent in modern gaming as today, encouraged by these gaming companies

Gamers don’t want to work for anything, they just want to pay $$ for PL, pay $$ for gear, etc, more than ever before

And yea, I agree immersion and especially RP are dead

Mblake1981
10-18-2021, 03:44 PM
books are dumb

a smart book is what, a Kindle connected to the internet?

i am seriously considering the new Nokia 6310.
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1448596599949639685

speaking of dumb books, i picked up a classic Jack Vance today.
One look at the 6-legged birdhorse thing that guy is riding was
all it took.

https://i.imgur.com/Sbrasug.jpg

Knowledge
10-18-2021, 03:49 PM
dtdQ1zWlHXA

Shawk
10-18-2021, 04:05 PM
FkwwaXIjqRE

speaking of things that are good, like new world :D

Mblake1981
10-18-2021, 04:11 PM
needs marble

imperiouskitten
10-18-2021, 08:50 PM

i want this as wallpaper for my whole house and the inside of my eyelids too.

Tethler
10-18-2021, 11:51 PM

That's a whole lot of words to say you don't know anything other than what it looks like. It reads like you took a bunch of misinformed steam reviews, tossed them in a blender, and this is what came out.

Whale biologist
10-18-2021, 11:52 PM
That's a whole lot of words to say you don't know anything other than what it looks like. It reads like you took a bunch of misinformed steam reviews, tossed them in a blender, and this is what came out.

Weak

Tethler
10-18-2021, 11:58 PM

There's the main story arc that you follow. Other than that, there are tons of notes/books around the world that you can read for lore. Most players just add to journal for a bit of xp and don't read though. But it's there if you want it.

Tethler
10-18-2021, 11:59 PM
Weak

I thought so too

Mblake1981
10-19-2021, 05:07 AM
Defensive over a WalMart/FedEx game. You are arguing with people who played original EQ. You have a journal and a story to follow..you have also said you didn't take a single screenshot in 40 levels.

Whatever keeps your fire lit i guess, its sad to see people surviving on gruel when they used to dine on a feast.

Tethler
10-19-2021, 10:07 AM
Defensive over a WalMart/FedEx game. You are arguing with people who played original EQ. You have a journal and a story to follow..you have also said you didn't take a single screenshot in 40 levels.

Whatever keeps your fire lit i guess, its sad to see people surviving on gruel when they used to dine on a feast.

I never take screenshots in games. It's just not something I care about. I told Jibs I was gonna take some, then when I started playing I promptly forgot because I was having fun playing the game.

Sorry Jib

Mblake1981
10-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Thanks for taking time away from your fun to argue on an EQ board about how fun it is.

Homesteaded
10-19-2021, 11:16 AM
I was having fun with NW. I don't know what happened but I guess I just felt like I had seen what the game was about. Gathering reskinned trees. They should make all zones outside of the starting zones forced PvP. Would go a long way to make that game way more fun. The problem is it's an option and the reward to go open world PvP isn't there.

Disease
10-19-2021, 11:30 AM
Best game I have ever played. The character customization, the lore, the game play.... All I have to say is oh my god!

Shawk
10-19-2021, 02:18 PM
Weak

I mean its just ironic because your "review" is weak, jaded, bitter and sad honestly.

Thanks for taking time away from your fun to argue on an EQ board about how fun it is.

Very weird response. And more irony, you seem really defensive.

Reads like a drama queen looking for some drama. He didn't say anything like you make it out he did, whats him taking screenshots have to do with anything? Walmart game? EQ is a forest? Wtf?

Shawk
10-19-2021, 02:23 PM
I was having fun with NW. I don't know what happened but I guess I just felt like I had seen what the game was about. Gathering reskinned trees. They should make all zones outside of the starting zones forced PvP. Would go a long way to make that game way more fun. The problem is it's an option and the reward to go open world PvP isn't there.

I *hope* in time they will create a full PVP server. Still early though so maybe they got a full pvp zone area planned. I assumed the top area would be full pvp but it isn't.

Mblake1981
10-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Very weird response. And more irony, you seem really defensive.

Reads like a drama queen looking for some drama. He didn't say anything like you make it out he did, whats him taking screenshots have to do with anything? Walmart game? EQ is a forest? Wtf?

Speaking of drama queen looking for drama, quit eating paste and keep up with the convo.

Shawk
10-19-2021, 04:17 PM
keep up with the convo.

weirder

cd288
10-19-2021, 11:58 PM
I *hope* in time they will create a full PVP server. Still early though so maybe they got a full pvp zone area planned. I assumed the top area would be full pvp but it isn't.

The problem with full PvP for new world is their zones have such wide level ranges that you’ll be constantly ganked and briefed by high level players (this is why everyone plays with pvp turned off). I don’t think the way they have organized the zones works for full open world pvp

imperiouskitten
10-20-2021, 12:23 AM
Best game I have ever played. The character customization, the lore, the game play.... All I have to say is oh my god!

wait a minute is it actually fun or something? lots of content? I haven't switched off of hate it cuz it's Amazon mode yet.

It looks very single player to me, is there actually grouping and raiding? Or is that just a little side distraction from chopping trees?

Disease
10-20-2021, 01:06 AM
wait a minute is it actually fun or something? lots of content? I haven't switched off of hate it cuz it's Amazon mode yet.

It looks very single player to me, is there actually grouping and raiding? Or is that just a little side distraction from chopping trees?

I just said it's a great game. You want an in depth review kick rocks to youtube.

Tethler
10-20-2021, 02:02 AM

I only ever come to these forums when I'm at work

imperiouskitten
10-20-2021, 02:12 AM
I just said it's a great game. You want an in depth review kick rocks to youtube.

...nahhh, i think u just unsold me on ur taste. And that doesn't sound like a yes. Enjoy your ball gargling, barfeater

Shawk
10-20-2021, 03:19 AM
Jaded bitter folks aren't aloud to play New World, sorry.

Disease
10-20-2021, 09:29 AM
...nahhh, i think u just unsold me on ur taste. And that doesn't sound like a yes. Enjoy your ball gargling, barfeater

Nice comment, you taste your uncle with that mouth?

starkind
10-20-2021, 09:52 AM
What genders can new world characters be?

cd288
10-20-2021, 10:03 AM

I mean, he is right about some things, but not crafting for example.

Is the game trash? No. Is it fun for what it is? Yes. Is it the next big MMO that millions of people will play for years? No.

Disease
10-20-2021, 10:22 AM

32. They left out furries and lizards who identify as amphibians which really me off

starkind
10-20-2021, 12:18 PM
32. They left out furries and lizards who identify as amphibians which really me off

Ya me 2 wtf. :mad:

Tethler
10-22-2021, 11:35 PM

The character creator actually feels underdeveloped to me and could really use some expansion. You can only choose a masculine or feminine body type with no modifications. All of the customization features are for the head. Though all head options are available for both body types.

I hope they add a barber shop or something in the future together with expanded character option so new character and existing characters can have more choice.

Jibartik
10-22-2021, 11:36 PM
It could use some ogres, trolls, elfs and stuff too.

Swish
10-23-2021, 12:35 AM
when are they releasing Kunark?

starkind
10-23-2021, 09:15 AM
I hear they had to freeze all transactions and roll it back.

Tethler
10-23-2021, 01:52 PM
I hear they had to freeze all transactions and roll it back.

Huh?

starkind
10-23-2021, 02:09 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qcs0u3/gold_dupe_game_must_rollback_people_got_max_gold/

GOLD DUPE, game must rollback people got max gold on multiple chars.
Discussion
https://forums.newworld.com/t/gold-duplication-from-characterpersistfailure-post-2/431314

This is not a small exploit, it is the most horrible thing that can happen in MMO.

There is no point in playing this game anymore without rollbacks, people can buy all the 600gs gear they want.

lewl

happens with every new mmo

really we should have just legalized mmo money traiding and treat it like global currency and let the swat teams and atf sort out the illegitimate sellers so we can have another black market

bezos is cashing in of course anyway

aphonefriend
·
2d
There are already individuals admitting to abusing this bug and sending 500k gold to every one in their faction. Then there are others standing in the middle of Windsward sending money to everyone who passes from the other faction in hopes of getting them banned.

Then we have people laundering the money through the Trading Post, buying up every single crafting item, then using those items to max out their crafts to 200. Which is also causing legitimate (non bug abusers) to be selling .01-.05 materials for upwards of a 100 gold a piece. Some people may not even realize they are now sitting on hoards of duped gold.

Not to mention each one of those transactions is sending loads of duped gold through the tax systems. Don't even get me started on how many gold sellers are going to be abusing this and stacking thousands of accounts with laundered money that may not be traceable, tanking the price of RMTs which will cause months if not years of economy problems. Even after this "exploit" is fixed, millions of gold will go untraceable without a rollback. And that number is growing by the minute. This exploit first surfaced over 8 hours ago now and the only communication has been that a "few" individuals that were effected will be punished.

Shut the servers down. Stop the transfers. Roll it back. Fix the bugs.

terrible game how can you literally have millions of dollars yet not produce a game properly?

these people do not deserve to own companies and have millions of dollars

Shawk
10-23-2021, 02:33 PM
terrible game how can you literally have millions of dollars yet not produce a game properly?

Are you going to cry?

starkind
10-24-2021, 10:47 AM
already have u have no idea how much i have cried b4 this game even and since, i water my plants with my tears and they all die and i cry more :(

Shawk
10-24-2021, 02:59 PM
already have u have no idea how much i have cried b4 this game even and since, i water my plants with my tears and they all die and i cry more :(

its the salt, poor plants :(

Ataria
10-24-2021, 06:01 PM
I have been playing it. Mind you, I started on p99 in 2012. New world came about while I wasn't playing p99 too much, and it looked like fun. (I am sure I will always come back to p99 here, nothing like it).

So far as for New World, I am enjoying it. It has a lot of attributes that are appealing to me... Groups need a dedicated healer, and a dedicated tank (For me, MMOs where a dedicated healer isn't needed I do not like). I do love I often see calls like DPS needed.. Tank needed healer needed at such and such.

Crafting his very immersive. Reminds me of eq2 - a lot of things to make, and you can decorate your house etc. Lots of collections (journals and lore to collect) And I do love you XP from crafting too. You actually get XP from about everything, from PVP, to doing quests, to leveling.

I think one of my favorite MMOs aside from EQ was DAOC.. and this also reminds me of that... DAOC was RVR (realm vs realm) and you had the Hibernerians (elves etc), Midgard (trolls etc) and the Albion (humans etc) against one another and in that game, you had to go out into the "fields/realm" per se for RVR and protect and defend keeps. I remember I was a smith and a cleric and would have to go out to repair the keeps and armor to keep all the kobods from breaking in and taking over.

Here in New World there are 3 factions ( Syndicate (purple), Mauraders (green) and Covenent (yellow) Sometimes they are referred to as colors ). I joined Syndicate on my server, and it seems to be the underdog there, but overall, not one dominating faction. It started out pretty equal between the 3 factions. All day yesterday I kept seeing all the chatter in the faction for help, which was awesome. I am just a lowly level so I cannot wait to get out there to help with that.

I think that has been actually the drawback for me so far.. I want more grouping and community (I have been spoiled by eq). So there isn't as much PVE for me yet- but I see a lot of messages needing healers ( and dps, tank etc). I think what is holding me back on that is I took a lot time to join a faction, and since the mechanics and gameplay are so different for me, I have been trying to learn before I go out and am responsible for a group's life. In eq, you are healing others from early on, but here it is so easy to solo.

I think more of a community for me will come about as I learn more, level up and can take part in more of the factions fights and such as well as the PVE, because that really appeals to me (social aspect, healing etc)

On that note, healing is a whole new thing to me. It has been a bit of a learning curve.. I still see people say things in ooc like they are so lost in the game etc. If you aren't used to it, it is definitely a new thing to learn. For example, and some may laugh at this and may be a "duh!" for some.. You get 3 abilities depending on how you spec as a healer (for one of your weapons, that is). And one of my heals is an AE, and where you aim on the ground when you hit it is where the "center," of it is. It took me so long to figure how/why this heal was landing- lol I was in a city and I would accidentally hit it in the middle of the crafting station (lol whoops).. So once I learned that, it was cake on how to best use that ability. But all these new little things that may be normal in other MMOs is new for me. Who knows, maybe I just need more coffee... lol But I tend to be neurotic and play too much, so I am sure I will one day master it all. haha

So far, it has drawn me in and many nights I do feel like playing it (over p99) but that also could be I was not having such a good time my last few times on p99 - so not fault of either game. But in New World, I am wanting more of the community and social aspect. But, that will hopefully come in time as I level up more and can really immerse myself in the factions and such (and feel confident in healing). I keep seeing all the chatter in the faction of needing help, needing heals.. and going to the fort to help and sounds like so much fun!

PS not many female clothing to choose from (hopefully that changes).. You know, the fashionquest thing :) Right now my char is taking on the looks of a pirate!

Here are some screenshots - hope these do not come out ginormous. You can also read some of the community chatter on the left.

My char, running around questing.
https://i.imgur.com/YJPrjsU.jpg

Lots of people everywhere, and lots of messages for groups/heals/dps etc This is in one of the towns my faction has control of near crafting stations.
https://i.imgur.com/jCczxtC.jpg

Best fishing in any MMO I have found yet (I am in a lake here under the moonlight)
https://i.imgur.com/64pAMod.jpg

Here I am climbing cliffs looking for ore nodes to make a weapon. The weapon with the orb on the end is the life staff, and that is tied into being a healer (your abilities and such are depending on which weapon you choose). My other weapon is an ice gauntlet (on hand) and with that I can CC, regen more mana and help with the fight in other ways.
https://i.imgur.com/RytHkTw.jpg

Whale biologist
10-24-2021, 06:11 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qcs0u3/gold_dupe_game_must_rollback_people_got_max_gold/

Discussion
https://forums.newworld.com/t/gold-duplication-from-characterpersistfailure-post-2/431314

This is not a small exploit, it is the most horrible thing that can happen in MMO.

There is no point in playing this game anymore without rollbacks, people can buy all the 600gs gear they want.

lewl

really we should have just legalized mmo money traiding and treat it like global currency and let the swat teams and atf sort out the illegitimate sellers so we can have another black market

😎

Ataria
10-24-2021, 06:32 PM
��

Yeah, that sucks. Will be interesting to see what action (if any) they take.

Tethler
10-25-2021, 10:54 PM

Discussion

lewl

Ok, so the gold dupe exploit was possible due to a very small number of players becoming bugged during the server transfer process. Nobody but those bugged players could do it. Devs already responded to this. They have logs of all of it. All duped gold deleted and the people exploiting this ate bans. It's already been resolved and was within like a day of it happening. No rollback was necessary.

You're trying really hard to shit on this game. What else you got?

Whale biologist
10-25-2021, 11:43 PM
Yikes. Unengaging combat and a ruined economy.

Are the chick models cute at least? Which way to Goldshire?

Tethler
10-26-2021, 12:54 AM
Yikes. Unengaging combat and a ruined economy.

Are the chick models cute at least? Which way to Goldshire?

Lol dude, economy wasn't ruined. As I said, devs caught it right away. They had logs, removed duped gold, banned abusers. The economy has some issues, but not from this.

Unengaging combat is a matter of opinion. The people that like to have several hotkey bars and like managing a dozen different cooldowns might not like this game. Personally, I enjoy the combat quite a lot.

None of the characters are particularly attractive, similar to real life.

Ataria
10-26-2021, 01:55 PM
None of this affected my server (the gold duping). Does suck it happened elsewhere. But I guess since I wasn't affected (like so many people), it isn't a wrecker.

The gameplay (for me at least) is definitely different, I am used to having so many buttons to contend with- like Tethler said it is a different way- many less keys- but when you use them and how you use them is critical. Even heals. You need to aim, and use the best ability and the best time. Melee literally have to dodge to take less damage at the right time. I am still waiting for that moment where I feel confident to go out and heal a dungeon.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I am still die hard waiting for Pantheon.. and p99 I will always come back to p99 (based on my history haha).. But I do think this is much better than other MMOs I have tried (AION, Rift, lotr, swg). I will say I did like daoc, as well as eq2 a lot- I was on a PVP server, and it was awesome (a very different kind of awesome from everquest/p99). I have been watching the discord for the guys working on an emulator for it.. but yeah, p99 will always be my special place and the place I always come home to :)

cd288
10-26-2021, 03:01 PM
None of this affected my server (the gold duping). Does suck it happened elsewhere. But I guess since I wasn't affected (like so many people), it isn't a wrecker.

The gameplay (for me at least) is definitely different, I am used to having so many buttons to contend with- like Tethler said it is a different way- many less keys- but when you use them and how you use them is critical. Even heals. You need to aim, and use the best ability and the best time. Melee literally have to dodge to take less damage at the right time. I am still waiting for that moment where I feel confident to go out and heal a dungeon.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I am still die hard waiting for Pantheon.. and p99 I will always come back to p99 (based on my history haha).. But I do think this is much better than other MMOs I have tried (AION, Rift, lotr, swg). I will say I did like daoc, as well as eq2 a lot- I was on a PVP server, and it was awesome (a very different kind of awesome from everquest/p99). I have been watching the discord for the guys working on an emulator for it.. but yeah, p99 will always be my special place and the place I always come home to :)

Yeah I don’t think it’s a terrible game but been playing about a month and starting to get a bit bored

cd288
10-27-2021, 10:44 AM
Lol dude, economy wasn't ruined. As I said, devs caught it right away. They had logs, removed duped gold, banned abusers. The economy has some issues, but not from this.

Unengaging combat is a matter of opinion. The people that like to have several hotkey bars and like managing a dozen different cooldowns might not like this game. Personally, I enjoy the combat quite a lot.

None of the characters are particularly attractive, similar to real life.

Also, the biggest issues with the economy are (i) huge drop rate of weapons and equipment such that the auctions are flooded with stuff to the extent that sometimes you'd actually lose money by trying to sell a drop instead of salvaging it, and (ii) most things that you can craft before the highest tier of the relevant crafting skill are worthless either because by the time they can be crafted they are lesser than what a player could currently be using or because they are worse than the huge amount of drops you can find in the world.

Tethler
10-28-2021, 02:08 AM
Also, the biggest issues with the economy are (i) huge drop rate of weapons and equipment such that the auctions are flooded with stuff to the extent that sometimes you'd actually lose money by trying to sell a drop instead of salvaging it, and (ii) most things that you can craft before the highest tier of the relevant crafting skill are worthless either because by the time they can be crafted they are lesser than what a player could currently be using or because they are worse than the huge amount of drops you can find in the world.

Agreed, the supply/demand isn't balanced. Too easy to acquire stuff, so nothing has value. It's like Diablo style drop rates. Salvaging stuff for pocket change and repair parts shouldn't be the only option. They should add vendors so you can choose between repair parts and gold, or just gold, but a higher amount of it.

Tethler
11-02-2021, 12:24 PM
So, I feel like I've played enough now to give an honest review of the game. Warning: long

According to steam, I've spent roughly 140 hours in-game and I'm up to level 58 (cap is 60). I've experienced all of the content with the exception of the level 60 PvP battleground and the 2 level 60 1-group dungeons. So, I supposed I haven't seen everything, but I feel like I've experienced enough to pass judgment.

The good

Sound

The music score throughout the game is alright. It's unobtrusive but also mostly unremarkable. There are some places I've been when I took particular note of the music and thought it sounded nice, but for the most part, it's just there.

Sound effects in this game, however, are fantastic. Standouts for me being the pickaxe, the musket, and the warhammer. The clink of the pickaxe sounds so realistic, and I love that you can hear it ringing in the distance when someone is mining. The musket and warhammer both sound fantastic as well. I also really like that you can hear fighting in the distance while running around. I play with a headset and I get directional cues for where fighting is taking place. You can hear the metal on metal hits of combat, shouts that characters make from using abilities, and in some cases you can even hear what weapons people are using, despite them being like 100m away on the other side of a hill. This also scales based on the number of combatants. So a fight involving 10 people sounds a lot more chaotic than a fight involving 2.

Environment

The game is flat out gorgeous. The environments look fantastic and the atmospheric lighting is the best I've seen in an MMO. There are a lot of biomes represented with a coming desert area sometime in the nearish future.

Combat

I find the combat to be fun/rewarding. It's kind of a Dark Souls lite style in that you need to be mindful of actions. If you try to faceroll through combat you'll find yourself getting chain staggered and having to use a lot of food/potions to recover lost hp. Activated abilities often lock you into animations, so being strategic is essential. Utilizing blocks and dodges and timing your attacks makes a world of difference in your combat efficiency.

Weapon choice

Weapons in New World kind of function as your class, somewhat similar to FF14. Currently there are 11 weapons (Fire staff, Life staff, Ice gauntlet, bow, musket, sword and shield, hatchet, rapier, warhammer, great axe, 2h spear) with void gauntlet announced and daggers and pistols datamined. Every weapon can be equipped at any time if you want to change your playstyle. You can equip 2 weapons and hotswap in combat to juggle different weapon cooldowns.

Weapon skills level up independently of your character level and cap at 20. Each weapon has two skill trees, and each weapon level gives you a skill point to spend in these trees. You can get a total of 3 activated combat abilities from a total of 6 and you can focus on 1 tree, or go into both. There are also a lot of passives with powerful effects which gives a lot of room for a variety of builds for every weapon. The weapons don't max out super quickly, so it takes some time investment to put out the big pee pee damage in a new weapon. Personally, I leveled as a tank using sword/shield and a great axe as my secondary. I made an effort to level them at the same pace and I hit level 20 in both by character level 55. I had also dabbled in musket, hatchet, and warhammer, getting them each to level 7-10, so I suppose I could have capped my mains sooner had I focused. I've heard some people say that they focused one weapon only and capped it around level 35.

Leveling options

Everything you do in New World gives you xp. Sure, typical quests can get you levels, but so can gathering and doing tradeskills. You can do fishing 1-60 if you really wanted, but it would take a long time. You get quite a lot of xp from PvP kills as well, so you can level that way if you like. Straight up grinding mobs in high density areas or grouping in elite areas also gets you levels quickly. Dynamic corruption portals (similar to Rift, if you know anything about that game) also reward excellent xp and are crucial to farm for end-game crafting materials. With all these options, you can simply change up what you want to work on if you find yourself getting bored doing something.

The bad

Game lore

It's frankly uninteresting. The main story quest is completely forgettable and has an anti-climactic ending. There are 0 cutscenes after the tutorial (some would consider this a plus). The world is strewn with glowing blue pages and books with lore, but nobody reads them because it's usually dumb shit about some farmer that is now a zombie, or a ghost or whatever at the farm you found the note in. Everyone pushes the button to add it to their journal for the xp and don't bother to read it.

Questing

The quests are repetitive. Go to a place and loot 7 items from chests in the area, or kill X mobs, or assassinate a named. They're pretty much all boring with the exception of the occasional unique quest. The only benefit to doing them is being sent out to places off the beaten path so you can see the sights you would have otherwise missed. The game is gorgeous, did I mention that?

Weapon balance

Plainly put, weapons are very unbalanced right now. Dex based weapons are mostly inferior to strength based weapons. This is compounded with the fact that strength based playstyle often uses heavy armor where dex based weapon uses usually go with medium or light armor. This means dex weapon users are, on average, doing less damage and take more incoming damage than strength weapon users.

Heavy armor users paired with a dedicated life staff user are incredibly tanky. I've seen videos of like 8 vs 2 in pvp where the 2 is a heavy tank and a life staff user and the 8 people can't take down the tank. Sure, they were also being outplayed to some extent, but the number advantage should count for more.

Magic DPS (fire staff and ice gauntlet) are great in large scale PvP due to potential massive aoe damage, but are more vulnerable in smaller skirmishes.

I'm sure the bigger balance issues will be worked on after more egregious issues are taken care of by the dev team.

Which brings us to

The ugly

Economy

The in-game economy is a mess. Everything is so devalued that a large portion of gathered tradeskill items are .01g each on the trading post. The volume of items acquired is far too high for demand to keep up with resulting in mass deflation. With the exception of cooldown gated high level components used in endgame armor and weaponsmithing, most items are near worthless. Even level 60 epic equipment items are often worth less than 100g. I'd consider myself an average player, not rich, not poor and I'm sitting on roughly 15k. When I hit 60 in 2 levels I'll be able to fully outfit my character in high level epics for less than 1k. They need to adjust drop rarity going forward to fix this.

Bugs

This is the elephant in the room. Good lord, the bugs. First, I want to start off stating that I am confident that these will get ironed out over time. There have been a lot fixed in the month since launch, but there are still some major issues.

Gold and item duping: There was a gold dupe in a small number of characters that had used server transfers. The affected characters were able to send money to other players and it wouldn't deplete their gold count. It happened for less than a day before being patched. Amazon stated they had logs, banned the people abusing and deleted the gold. I did see a reddit post a few days later claiming that a guy who had openly duped gold avoided the ban and was still in game. So it's likely some have slipped under the radar. Since the bug was a rare instance that only occurred in characters that had server transferred, I assume that the long-term impact is relatively minor.

Item duping came up as an issue after the most recent patch this week. It was also hotfixed in less than a day. Lot of people ate bans for it, but I'm seeing conflicting reports that duped legendary armor is still in circulation, so that's shitty.

HTML in chat: This was a thing. Big yikes. Someone last week figured out how to hide HTML links inside in-game items linked in chat. It was mostly used by dumbasses posting giant sausages in chat, but some more malicious users embedded code that would crash your game if you moused over the link. It was fixed like 2-3 days after it popped up I guess. This one was a pretty serious thing and a security risk.

There are a host of other minor bugs, like some passives not working. Some skill perks on equipment not working, stuff like that. These are getting fixed in batches.

Conclusion

This is the buggiest MMO launch I've ever experienced, and some have been pretty serious issues. Amazon has fixed a lot of them in the month since launch and has been fast to address the serious ones. They still got a shitload more on their plate though.

That said, the game is a lot of fun to play and it looks great. Most of the issues have relatively minor impacts on the PvE side of things, so if PvE is your jam, the game has a lot to offer. If you're more of a sweaty tryhard PvPer, you're gonna be in for frustration based on the current state of the game. Who knows though, if you started at level 1 now, by the time you hit cap maybe most of the rough edges will be smoothed out.

Me, I'm more casual than hardcore, and much more PvE oriented than PvP and I have been thoroughly enjoying my experience.

If anyone has any questions about anything above, or something I didn't mention, I'd be happy to give honest answers.

cd288
11-02-2021, 12:30 PM
You really find the combat difficult and engaging? I suppose it depends on your build, but I can easily face roll multiple enemies at a time that are a couple levels higher than I am. They are all so predictable in their moves and abilities/when they use them. This is general PvE of course. The difficulty of dungeon mobs ramps up very steeply. But for general PvE out in the world the enemy difficulty is essentially the same as when WoW started making leveling easier.

starkind
11-02-2021, 12:40 PM
The ugly

Economy

The in-game economy is a mess.

The game may have been a success except for this.

time to start a new minecraft server

Tethler
11-02-2021, 07:32 PM
You really find the combat difficult and engaging? I suppose it depends on your build, but I can easily face roll multiple enemies at a time that are a couple levels higher than I am. They are all so predictable in their moves and abilities/when they use them. This is general PvE of course. The difficulty of dungeon mobs ramps up very steeply. But for general PvE out in the world the enemy difficulty is essentially the same as when WoW started making leveling easier.

Difficult, no. Engaging, yes.

I played a bit last night and solo'd some elite quests in Great Cleave. As a 58 tank I was able to take 2-3 level 60 gold elites at a time. For non elite mobs, depending on type, i can take probably 5-8 at a time. But I still need to be mindful about timing. I need to block when they're doing grit abilities and use my skills after that to avoid staggers.

Tethler
11-02-2021, 07:33 PM
The game may have been a success except for this.

time to start a new minecraft server

Luckily the economy is one of the more fluid things in the game. If they make corrections, the supply demand issue can self-correct over time.

unsunghero
11-02-2021, 08:35 PM
Have ya’ll heard or mentioned the exploit that lets you become invincible? Go windowed mode and shake the screen

Video on it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbv-o7pa38

Jibartik
11-02-2021, 08:44 PM
lol well if the GM see's you screen dragging then that's a paddle'n

unsunghero
11-02-2021, 08:46 PM
lol well if the GM see's you screen dragging then that's a paddle'n

It’s not pure invincibility, what happens is the damage continues to pile up but it remains server side, it can’t be sent client side while the window is moving

It has some useful applications though I’ve heard, such as moving to a pvp objective then going invincible standing on it. Probably many more, I don’t play the game so wouldn’t know

Jibartik
11-02-2021, 08:48 PM
If you screen drag on p99 your character keeps running until you let go then it pops back to where you were when you started, I wonder if that's a related thingy.

unsunghero
11-02-2021, 08:56 PM
If you screen drag on p99 your character keeps running until you let go then it pops back to where you were when you started, I wonder if that's a related thingy.

The video goes into a lengthy explanation as to how/why, might be similar

I play p99 in windowed mode and when I drag the cursor out of the window accidentally my char repeats the last movement direction. Has gotten me in trouble/aggro a number of times :(

Tethler
11-03-2021, 05:25 AM
Have ya’ll heard or mentioned the exploit that lets you become invincible? Go windowed mode and shake the screen

Video on it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbv-o7pa38

I've heard about this. It's completely useless in PvE content since you can't control your character. The point about PvP ovjectives is valid and it has been used in wars on some servers. I had heard that something was done to stop it, but don't know any details.

Shawk
11-03-2021, 04:31 PM
So, I feel like I've played enough now to give an honest review of the game. Warning: long

According to steam, I've spent roughly 140 hours in-game and I'm up to level 58 (cap is 60). I've experienced all of the content with the exception of the level 60 PvP battleground and the 2 level 60 1-group dungeons. So, I supposed I haven't seen everything, but I feel like I've experienced enough to pass judgment.

The good

Sound

The music score throughout the game is alright. It's unobtrusive but also mostly unremarkable. There are some places I've been when I took particular note of the music and thought it sounded nice, but for the most part, it's just there.

Sound effects in this game, however, are fantastic. Standouts for me being the pickaxe, the musket, and the warhammer. The clink of the pickaxe sounds so realistic, and I love that you can hear it ringing in the distance when someone is mining. The musket and warhammer both sound fantastic as well. I also really like that you can hear fighting in the distance while running around. I play with a headset and I get directional cues for where fighting is taking place. You can hear the metal on metal hits of combat, shouts that characters make from using abilities, and in some cases you can even hear what weapons people are using, despite them being like 100m away on the other side of a hill. This also scales based on the number of combatants. So a fight involving 10 people sounds a lot more chaotic than a fight involving 2.

Environment

The game is flat out gorgeous. The environments look fantastic and the atmospheric lighting is the best I've seen in an MMO. There are a lot of biomes represented with a coming desert area sometime in the nearish future.

Combat

I find the combat to be fun/rewarding. It's kind of a Dark Souls lite style in that you need to be mindful of actions. If you try to faceroll through combat you'll find yourself getting chain staggered and having to use a lot of food/potions to recover lost hp. Activated abilities often lock you into animations, so being strategic is essential. Utilizing blocks and dodges and timing your attacks makes a world of difference in your combat efficiency.

Weapon choice

Weapons in New World kind of function as your class, somewhat similar to FF14. Currently there are 11 weapons (Fire staff, Life staff, Ice gauntlet, bow, musket, sword and shield, hatchet, rapier, warhammer, great axe, 2h spear) with void gauntlet announced and daggers and pistols datamined. Every weapon can be equipped at any time if you want to change your playstyle. You can equip 2 weapons and hotswap in combat to juggle different weapon cooldowns.

Weapon skills level up independently of your character level and cap at 20. Each weapon has two skill trees, and each weapon level gives you a skill point to spend in these trees. You can get a total of 3 activated combat abilities from a total of 6 and you can focus on 1 tree, or go into both. There are also a lot of passives with powerful effects which gives a lot of room for a variety of builds for every weapon. The weapons don't max out super quickly, so it takes some time investment to put out the big pee pee damage in a new weapon. Personally, I leveled as a tank using sword/shield and a great axe as my secondary. I made an effort to level them at the same pace and I hit level 20 in both by character level 55. I had also dabbled in musket, hatchet, and warhammer, getting them each to level 7-10, so I suppose I could have capped my mains sooner had I focused. I've heard some people say that they focused one weapon only and capped it around level 35.

Leveling options

Everything you do in New World gives you xp. Sure, typical quests can get you levels, but so can gathering and doing tradeskills. You can do fishing 1-60 if you really wanted, but it would take a long time. You get quite a lot of xp from PvP kills as well, so you can level that way if you like. Straight up grinding mobs in high density areas or grouping in elite areas also gets you levels quickly. Dynamic corruption portals (similar to Rift, if you know anything about that game) also reward excellent xp and are crucial to farm for end-game crafting materials. With all these options, you can simply change up what you want to work on if you find yourself getting bored doing something.

The bad

Game lore

It's frankly uninteresting. The main story quest is completely forgettable and has an anti-climactic ending. There are 0 cutscenes after the tutorial (some would consider this a plus). The world is strewn with glowing blue pages and books with lore, but nobody reads them because it's usually dumb shit about some farmer that is now a zombie, or a ghost or whatever at the farm you found the note in. Everyone pushes the button to add it to their journal for the xp and don't bother to read it.

Questing

The quests are repetitive. Go to a place and loot 7 items from chests in the area, or kill X mobs, or assassinate a named. They're pretty much all boring with the exception of the occasional unique quest. The only benefit to doing them is being sent out to places off the beaten path so you can see the sights you would have otherwise missed. The game is gorgeous, did I mention that?

Weapon balance

Plainly put, weapons are very unbalanced right now. Dex based weapons are mostly inferior to strength based weapons. This is compounded with the fact that strength based playstyle often uses heavy armor where dex based weapon uses usually go with medium or light armor. This means dex weapon users are, on average, doing less damage and take more incoming damage than strength weapon users.

Heavy armor users paired with a dedicated life staff user are incredibly tanky. I've seen videos of like 8 vs 2 in pvp where the 2 is a heavy tank and a life staff user and the 8 people can't take down the tank. Sure, they were also being outplayed to some extent, but the number advantage should count for more.

Magic DPS (fire staff and ice gauntlet) are great in large scale PvP due to potential massive aoe damage, but are more vulnerable in smaller skirmishes.

I'm sure the bigger balance issues will be worked on after more egregious issues are taken care of by the dev team.

Which brings us to

The ugly

Economy

The in-game economy is a mess. Everything is so devalued that a large portion of gathered tradeskill items are .01g each on the trading post. The volume of items acquired is far too high for demand to keep up with resulting in mass deflation. With the exception of cooldown gated high level components used in endgame armor and weaponsmithing, most items are near worthless. Even level 60 epic equipment items are often worth less than 100g. I'd consider myself an average player, not rich, not poor and I'm sitting on roughly 15k. When I hit 60 in 2 levels I'll be able to fully outfit my character in high level epics for less than 1k. They need to adjust drop rarity going forward to fix this.

Bugs

This is the elephant in the room. Good lord, the bugs. First, I want to start off stating that I am confident that these will get ironed out over time. There have been a lot fixed in the month since launch, but there are still some major issues.

Gold and item duping: There was a gold dupe in a small number of characters that had used server transfers. The affected characters were able to send money to other players and it wouldn't deplete their gold count. It happened for less than a day before being patched. Amazon stated they had logs, banned the people abusing and deleted the gold. I did see a reddit post a few days later claiming that a guy who had openly duped gold avoided the ban and was still in game. So it's likely some have slipped under the radar. Since the bug was a rare instance that only occurred in characters that had server transferred, I assume that the long-term impact is relatively minor.

Item duping came up as an issue after the most recent patch this week. It was also hotfixed in less than a day. Lot of people ate bans for it, but I'm seeing conflicting reports that duped legendary armor is still in circulation, so that's shitty.

HTML in chat: This was a thing. Big yikes. Someone last week figured out how to hide HTML links inside in-game items linked in chat. It was mostly used by dumbasses posting giant sausages in chat, but some more malicious users embedded code that would crash your game if you moused over the link. It was fixed like 2-3 days after it popped up I guess. This one was a pretty serious thing and a security risk.

There are a host of other minor bugs, like some passives not working. Some skill perks on equipment not working, stuff like that. These are getting fixed in batches.

Conclusion

This is the buggiest MMO launch I've ever experienced, and some have been pretty serious issues. Amazon has fixed a lot of them in the month since launch and has been fast to address the serious ones. They still got a shitload more on their plate though.

That said, the game is a lot of fun to play and it looks great. Most of the issues have relatively minor impacts on the PvE side of things, so if PvE is your jam, the game has a lot to offer. If you're more of a sweaty tryhard PvPer, you're gonna be in for frustration based on the current state of the game. Who knows though, if you started at level 1 now, by the time you hit cap maybe most of the rough edges will be smoothed out.

Me, I'm more casual than hardcore, and much more PvE oriented than PvP and I have been thoroughly enjoying my experience.

If anyone has any questions about anything above, or something I didn't mention, I'd be happy to give honest answers.

I think this is a good breakdown. I have 240 hours in, I have not played for 2 weeks.

I will just say I give it a B+ and that it left me missing the old days of dark age of camelot that i know well enough will never come back again.