PDA

View Full Version : Loving this experience.

Jogurts
06-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I am loving this game so far. Almost everything about it is what I miss from the Old days of playing EQ.

I love being able to play in these old zones and spend hours grinding for gear, and equipment, and having fun making friends while grouping. I also love how friendly almost everyone is. Hell I was in a group the other day where an Oger got an upgrade for his armor and passed off his old armor to me because it was much better than what I had on.

I found myself after a night of camping Scryer with a Wiz friend with no pop, and then killing him several times the next day without said friend and saving every drop I won the rolls on for my friend, and asked for nothing in return. Hell I haven't done something like that in years.

Of all the things I love about this place and this community it does have things I dislike. I dislike some of the elitest attitudes you see at low levels. Example, Pre 20 when there is still caps on what you can do. And people yelling at you for not being twinked out. (Sorry I prefer to quest/grind for my gear, and from playing on a red server in live for so long still partially have the mentality of no-drop = best)

And there are things I wish we had. Like a role playing rule-set. Learning languages to communicate within a group was always fun to me. Like getting the Troll one day in your group of friends, and for half the night no one knows what he is saying, but he knows his job and he does it well, and you have no idea if he can understand your praise.

But all in all this game is a great experience, and I love it, and I want to say Keep up the good work I look forward to what is to come.

Snorlax
06-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah everything is cool except the whole role playing thing and languages. I play eq to have fun not pretend i'm some lord of the rings elf with pointy ears and run around forsoothing people.. Role playing also leads to weird bros cybering with each other. BUT HEY no one is stopping you from being all lord of the rings elf bro, but if I got you in one of my groups not only would I not play along because I am a grown man but I would probably think you are mentally ill.

Jogurts
06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Not what I mean at all about roleplay. I never once have done any of that bro on bro bullcrap you see. Nor gotten into my character where I pretend I am him.

On the live roleplay server ruleset there is no common speak. Meaning not only do you have to raise factions you need to learn the language as well. It was fun, and made every city feel like you just traveled an even greater distance because they no longer speak like you do and you need to learn how to speak like them.

Goraith
06-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I have to agree. I am playing a paladin named Viro (currently 17) and have had a pretty good time here. It does not seem as difficult as it did 10 years ago but its been fun so far.

beeshma_nameless
06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
If you are from a red server, you might want to check out the PVP forums, on a potential red P99 server.

The writing skills and style there, including obscure references (which are meaningful to all 4 of them or something) might throw you off though - be warned.

Ripp
06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm with ya. Now I know why I hate all the new MMOs out these days, they're shallow and easy. I stopped playing Rift 15 minutes into beta 2, it was just horrible. P99 makes you feel rewarded for accomplishing something instead it just being handed to you.

Makes you wonder what the future could/should have been.

Numbers_
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I have to agree. I am playing a paladin named Viro (currently 17) and have had a pretty good time here. It does not seem as difficult as it did 10 years ago but its been fun so far.

Yeah man, what's with that? I guess I just didn't know what the hell I was doing back in 1999 or something because it doesn't seem as hard as I remember it.

Dracnor
06-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah everything is cool except the whole role playing thing and languages. I play eq to have fun not pretend i'm some lord of the rings elf with pointy ears and run around forsoothing people.. Role playing also leads to weird bros cybering with each other. BUT HEY no one is stopping you from being all lord of the rings elf bro, but if I got you in one of my groups not only would I not play along because I am a grown man but I would probably think you are mentally ill.

I will disagree here.. EQ is a RPG which strangely enough means Role Play Game.. Now it doesnt mean going to the extremes that your talking about, but having a bit of fun and playing along... Some of my best experiences in live involved running a roleplay session out, in fact we just to draw crowds who would get involved or thank us for the show..

As a standard rule everything "said" or "shouted" is in character and everything else (Tell, Group, OOC) is out..

ukaking
06-04-2011, 03:13 PM
We do the same thing in The Harbingers of Thule...all Iksar guild, we speak normally in group with each other and guild, but we refer to all non iksar as softskins in group and belittle them for being inferior here and there. Its fun and 90% of the softies play along and gives everyone a good laugh.

Dracnor
06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I was considering leveling up an alt monk to get some RP goodness in, iksar style.. can imagine as a rule of thumb its quite an arrogant race (not as bad as High 'up their own arses' Elves)

Snorlax
06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh you guys and your silly weird pretend games.

Zuranthium
06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Have you ever watched a movie in your life? Wherein you'll see many people who are paid to play a character? It's called acting. Some people find it fun and rewarding.

Such a thing was the norm during 1999 of Everquest.

Fromage
06-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Have you ever watched a movie in your life? Wherein you'll see many people who are paid to play a character? It's called acting. Some people find it fun and rewarding.

Such a thing was the norm during 1999 of Everquest.
Are you this insufferable in your everyday life? Here's some intelligent discourse for you : shut the fuck up

Dracnor
06-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Are you this insufferable in your everyday life? Here's some intelligent discourse for you : shut the fuck up

Why do some people feel the need on this forum to lower the level of the conversation to F this and F that.. Yes he might have used a mocking phrase or tone.. But either A) Dont Post (Nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all), B) Ignore it or C) Actually come up with a decent retort.

Rogean
06-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Not the usual attitude I see coming from a Divinity member, but nevertheless you cannot attack people outside RnF.

beeshma_nameless
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Heh - hope Fromage didnt intend to quote Snorlak and instead quoted Zuranthium by error, and got banned.

stormlord
06-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Oh you guys and your silly weird pretend games.
Your posts are getting creepy. This is your 2nd or 3rd post now already about this? Do you think it's news that this is a pretend game? Hello? RPGs have their roots in Pen & Paper and fantasy fiction. The people that play these like to be in the imagined worlds. If it's not your piece of pie, stay out of it.

Malrubius
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I am loving this game so far. Almost everything about it is what I miss from the Old days of playing EQ.

I love being able to play in these old zones and spend hours grinding for gear, and equipment, and having fun making friends while grouping. I also love how friendly almost everyone is. Hell I was in a group the other day where an Oger got an upgrade for his armor and passed off his old armor to me because it was much better than what I had on.

I found myself after a night of camping Scryer with a Wiz friend with no pop, and then killing him several times the next day without said friend and saving every drop I won the rolls on for my friend, and asked for nothing in return. Hell I haven't done something like that in years.

Of all the things I love about this place and this community it does have things I dislike. I dislike some of the elitest attitudes you see at low levels. Example, Pre 20 when there is still caps on what you can do. And people yelling at you for not being twinked out. (Sorry I prefer to quest/grind for my gear, and from playing on a red server in live for so long still partially have the mentality of no-drop = best)

And there are things I wish we had. Like a role playing rule-set. Learning languages to communicate within a group was always fun to me. Like getting the Troll one day in your group of friends, and for half the night no one knows what he is saying, but he knows his job and he does it well, and you have no idea if he can understand your praise.

But all in all this game is a great experience, and I love it, and I want to say Keep up the good work I look forward to what is to come.

Ignore the haters and welcome to the server. Most of the people in-game aren't messed up.

Zuranthium
06-05-2011, 01:53 PM
LOL, did he really just get banned? Anyway...if I used a mocking tone it was because Snorlax tried to liken roleplaying/acting to being mentally ill. I can't deal with that much ignorance.

Striiker
06-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Welcome to the server! I agree that the experience on this server contains pretty much all that I loved from the old days. Before P99 came along, I'd find myself often thinking back to the days when EQ was new and of all the sights, sounds and experiences and wished that I could relive them. I had always hoped that Sony would throw up a classic server (real classic) but quickly learned that this would never happen. I was always reluctant to try the EMU servers as I always assumed that they would be crude knockoffs and lack the challenges of the original classic worlds. The day I decided to try P99 was a great experience. I was thrilled to see Qeynos once again as I remembered it; full of young adventurers struggling in their battles against the numerous bats, gnolls, fire beetles and skeletons.

Of all the things I love about this place and this community it does have things I dislike. I dislike some of the elitest attitudes you see at low levels. Example, Pre 20 when there is still caps on what you can do. And people yelling at you for not being twinked out.

I have never run into this issue with my untwinked characters. I think you ran into some of the miscreants who only care about themselves and leveling as fast as they can. As in life, the server has some folks who care only about themselves and are happy to put others down. Learn who they are and avoid them. I guess the good news is that they will quickly out-level you so that you'll not be grouping with them much more. I've grouped with some heavily twinked characters and they have never complained about my crap gear and I always appreciated the help they brought with their better gear and never bitched about how they had better equipment etc. I actually often like to play with people who are obviously twinked because it often means that they know what they are doing as they most likely have played a long time. Having said that, I also have a great appreciation playing with people new to the game as I truly love helping them learn a new area etc.

So, welcome once again to the server! I know you'll have a lot of fun.

Giopawa
06-06-2011, 09:48 AM

EDIT.
I wrote out something evil, but instead I will just leave it with.
I hate you. =)

Messianic
06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I used to go into RP channels on EQ rp servers, battle.net channels, or WoW RP servers and mess with peoples' heads. Most hilarious thing ever.

When you take the RP thing to excessive levels, it's hilarious...typing in all caps constantly, etc...Almost as much fun as making fun of Larpers.

I really don't do it anymore (make fun of RPers to their face) because I say to each their own, and i don't get particular amusement from ruining someone else's fun - but I still make fun of RPers among friends.

Hobby
06-06-2011, 10:21 AM
EDIT.
I wrote out something evil, but instead I will just leave it with.
I hate you. =)

Your original version was much better...

Goraith
06-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I have never run into this issue with my untwinked characters. I think you ran into some of the miscreants who only care about themselves and leveling as fast as they can. As in life, the server has some folks who care only about themselves and are happy to put others down. Learn who they are and avoid them. I guess the good news is that they will quickly out-level you so that you'll not be grouping with them much more. I've grouped with some heavily twinked characters and they have never complained about my crap gear and I always appreciated the help they brought with their better gear and never bitched about how they had better equipment etc. I actually often like to play with people who are obviously twinked because it often means that they know what they are doing as they most likely have played a long time. Having said that, I also have a great appreciation playing with people new to the game as I truly love helping them learn a new area etc.

So, welcome once again to the server! I know you'll have a lot of fun.

I have seen that. I was grouped with a rogue in Oasis who was backstabbing for 80+ at level 13. He was constantly complaining that I wasn't a "real tank" because I couldn't taunt that damage... kids