PDA

View Full Version : Mage feedback post nerf

Bristlebaner
07-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Calling all high level mages…

With the recent damage nerf - how has it affected you?

My mage is 40 and I enjoy him but won’t lie - the prospect of the 57 earth not hitting for 70 when I get there is sad.

Curious if the change is palpable or not.

Snaggles
07-06-2021, 10:24 AM
For a long time we had pets that far exceeded EoT. Now we three different flavors of a pet that is relatively on par. Some feel these have lost 12-15% of the dps. That seems right but I haven’t done much parsing since hitting 60.

A focused max level 60 water hits for 62. DD’s for I recall 116 and backstabs for about 180. It’s still quite tanky. That staff is annoying fo get but nowhere as rare as the Necro’s book from Hate.

What do you want to do with the class? It’s raid or group utility role is unchanged. It’s solo ability is pretty similar (fairly limited). It’s ability to farm green cons is still very efficient. It’s ability to do dps in a typical blue-con group/duo/trio setting is still good to amazing depending on your mana usage.

Bristlebaner
07-06-2021, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the perspective.

I mostly was looking for a low effort "chill" class to play - one that is arguably the best green farming class in the game. I have a 60 enchanter for high stakes, stress inducing, butt pucker soloing.

Is EoT now on par with Greater Voceration pets? Is farming greens now about a wash between necro/mage?

Thoughts?

Snaggles
07-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Necro EoT is a warrior class pet with a 48dmg lifetap proc. Fear immunity. Says hits for 61 or 62 focused. In theory hp wise it should be on par with a 57 earth, maybe a bit less. No lifetap on the earth but the root does damage. It's a fair comparison durability wise; the mage pet is like 100p and not 12k.

Farming greens is totally different. With a mage you can fill up a backpack of malachite for 8p. Summon, burnout, DS, pull with like Burst of Flame and let the pet run through it. Rinse and repeat and resummon when the pet gets low health. In general necros keep the pet up and do more casting in general. I expect in practice on very weak stuff the two classes farm about the same with obvious benefit to the necro in anything relatively tough. The mage is pretty easy though. It's a beer in one hand mouse in the other way to play.

I usually use the 59 air pet. The stun locks down mobs a long time. Regardless you can get through about 10-12 goblins with a good summon before you have to do another. By then your mana is usually about full again.

loramin
07-06-2021, 09:15 PM

Honestly, it hasn't.

Balimon
07-06-2021, 09:21 PM
I can still do everything I could do before. There is definitely a notable loss of power. The earth pet doesn't kill as fast as before. I have to pay more attention and nuke a bit more in certain situations. I'm not happy about the nerf, but the fact that the pets special abilities go off more often has made the damage nerf a bit more palatable.

Botten
07-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Necro EoT is a warrior class pet with a 48dmg lifetap proc. Fear immunity. Says hits for 61 or 62 focused. In theory hp wise it should be on par with a 57 earth, maybe a bit less. No lifetap on the earth but the root does damage. It's a fair comparison durability wise; the mage pet is like 100p and not 12k.

Farming greens is totally different. With a mage you can fill up a backpack of malachite for 8p. Summon, burnout, DS, pull with like Burst of Flame and let the pet run through it. Rinse and repeat and resummon when the pet gets low health. In general necros keep the pet up and do more casting in general. I expect in practice on very weak stuff the two classes farm about the same with obvious benefit to the necro in anything relatively tough. The mage is pretty easy though. It's a beer in one hand mouse in the other way to play.

I usually use the 59 air pet. The stun locks down mobs a long time. Regardless you can get through about 10-12 goblins with a good summon before you have to do another. By then your mana is usually about full again.

During soloing, I would be curious on the damage the mobs take from the necro pet when the mob can't riposte or parry. I suspect damage taken is different too... unless we are talking straight face tanking.

Snaggles
07-09-2021, 03:16 PM
During soloing, I would be curious on the damage the mobs take from the necro pet when the mob can't riposte or parry. I suspect damage taken is different too... unless we are talking straight face tanking.

Oh the necro is a better overall package. Not even a question. Brute forcing with a pet and DS is pretty decent though and its what a mage has.

Really just filling a backpack with malachite at a vendor is a great perk, that and the overall simplicity if you not feeling like much of an active game. Totally changes how precious you treat that pet. A min spec pet can be recycled until you get a good one or treated as expendible. With a necro you have to consider that eventually more pets means sitting in a zone sourcing bone chips or buying them from the tunnel.

Vaarsuvius
07-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Calling all high level mages…

My mage is 40 and I enjoy him but won’t lie - the prospect of the 57 earth not hitting for 70 when I get there is sad.

Curious if the change is palpable or not.

Lots of blues (wurms and any blue con in BW, kedge seahorses & mermaids, geonids, imps, LDC & protectors in SolB I was able to solo with focused air pet/ earth pet are now are much tougher. 57+ pets lost about 15% of their damage output. This means that I have to use a lot more mana just to be sure my pet will survive and I won't have to channel a second summoned pet when the first one dies

Yeah not much 😏

derpcake2
08-06-2021, 03:54 AM
Lots of blues (wurms and any blue con in BW, kedge seahorses & mermaids, geonids, imps, LDC & protectors in SolB I was able to solo with focused air pet/ earth pet are now are much tougher. 57+ pets lost about 15% of their damage output. This means that I have to use a lot more mana just to be sure my pet will survive and I won't have to channel a second summoned pet when the first one dies

Yeah not much 😏

Loramin head of the anti-mage lobby group.

In every thread about mages he is creating doubt about mage claims, downplaying the effects of bugs/nerfs, and never adding anything positive.

Unsure why that is.

Baler
08-06-2021, 04:06 AM
From my own personal experience starting on P99 as a Magician in 2010.

Mage never was a meta min-max class. Even when the server was broken and had post velious mechanics.

Magican is the underdog but is required for end game raiders to get their fix.

I'll also say that I stand by Magician being my absolute favorite raw plat farming class. It's a class that can summon a personal disposable tank.

Snaggles
08-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Loramin head of the anti-mage lobby group.

In every thread about mages he is creating doubt about mage claims, downplaying the effects of bugs/nerfs, and never adding anything positive.

Unsure why that is.

What are we lobbying for, Luclin pet damage tables?

I was initially bummed. I adjusted and dealt with reality. I cant speak for Loramin but the issue I take is many people are still crying about the loss. Last time I parsed a "nerfed" focused water against Ragefire it did 45% more damage than Emissary of Thule.

PVE small group stuff mages can do unbelievable burst damage. Even stuff where the nukes wont land but you can get a pet up properly positioned it will do similar dps to knights and most rangers. On tough raids you got coth and rods. Solo mages always sucked and farming green cons they are still extremely good.

So yea, very little has changed.

long.liam
09-01-2021, 01:03 AM
What Patch was this? I'm not finding it in any of the Patch notes.

Snaggles
09-01-2021, 01:31 AM
What Patch was this? I'm not finding it in any of the Patch notes.

Friday, May 7th, 2021

Stealth fix taking mage pets off Luclin damage tables.