PDA

View Full Version : Does Swiftwind's Haste stack with Haste from other items?

Loadsamoney
07-01-2021, 02:33 PM
Since it comes from a worn effect, Swift Spirit, does it count as a separate form of Haste from items like FBSS or Runed Bolster Belt?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth still using a Haste item in an armor slot once I get Swiftwind, or if Swiftwind overrules it and having another Haste item becomes pointless, in which case I'd want to find a replacement.

Crede
07-01-2021, 03:00 PM
No, can’t stack 2 of the same haste types, swiftwind and fbss are both worn haste.

You can mix any of the below 3 up to the haste cap.

Worn haste
Spell haste
Bard song v2 haste

https://wiki.project1999.com/Haste_Guide

Loadsamoney
07-01-2021, 03:10 PM
No, can’t stack 2 of the same haste types, swiftwind and fbss are both worn haste.

You can mix any of the below 3 up to the haste cap.

Worn haste
Spell haste
Bard song v2 haste

https://wiki.project1999.com/Haste_Guide

So basically, once I have Swiftwind, any other haste armor piece becomes pointless and I should either give it to another toon or sell it/replace it in favor of HP/AC/Stats?

Does Ranger have any sort of clickie they can use for Spell Haste? Can they get it in some way without needing another class to buff them?

DeathsSilkyMist
07-01-2021, 03:37 PM
So basically, once I have Swiftwind, any other haste armor piece becomes pointless and I should either give it to another toon or sell it/replace it in favor of HP/AC/Stats?

Does Ranger have any sort of clickie they can use for Spell Haste? Can they get it in some way without needing another class to buff them?

In terms of having other worn haste items on your character, it does depend on if you swap weapons. When Swiftwind isn't equipped, you don't have worn haste. So it is a good idea to keep another worn haste item around if you are swapping to a two handed weapon, or another combination of two one handed weapons. Also, 41% haste is the best you can get from a worn item. So if you do raid in the future, a 41% haste item will be a tiny bit better than Swiftwind. You may still want to use Swiftwind as a weapon, but obviously equipping the 41% haste item will trump Swiftwind, and give you an extra 1% haste.

Rangers are lucky in the sense that they get an amazing spell haste clickie, https://wiki.project1999.com/Dark_Cloak_of_the_Sky . However, it is a Plane of Sky quest item, and one of the more sought after ones. So you may be waiting a while to get one.

Loadsamoney
07-01-2021, 03:55 PM
In terms of having other worn haste items on your character, it does depend on if you swap weapons. When Swiftwind isn't equipped, you don't have worn haste. So it is a good idea to keep another worn haste item around if you are swapping to a two handed weapon, or another combination of two one handed weapons. Also, 41% haste is the best you can get from a worn item. So if you do raid in the future, a 41% haste item will be a tiny bit better than Swiftwind. You may still want to use Swiftwind as a weapon, but obviously equipping the 41% haste item will trump Swiftwind, and give you an extra 1% haste.

Rangers are lucky in the sense that they get an amazing spell haste clickie, https://wiki.project1999.com/Dark_Cloak_of_the_Sky . However, it is a Plane of Sky quest item, and one of the more sought after ones. So you may be waiting a while to get one.

Ooh, interesting. If I'm going to swap to a 2-hander over an Epic though, it needs to be a pretty goddamn good one, like Primal Velium Claidhmore. Either a very high-level quest reward, or something that drops from a raid boss, in other words.

I'll probably get a Winter's Fury at some point as a placeholder for one of the epics. I'm using Dual Lamentations and Silver Swiftblade on the road to 51, then I'll start putting in the legwork towards my epics. I'll have enough to afford Swiftwind by then.

Earthcaller probably not until 60, unless I can farm geodes in WL, and I'm not sure how strong they are or how often they're camped.

Philistine
07-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Have you considered joining a guild? I ask because there are a lot of guilds on the server who can kill VSR. As a (contributing, active, and patient) member of a guild who can kill him you can get your Swiftwind without spending plat - the ranger epic isn't too bad in terms of difficulty.

I waited until I was in my 50s before joining a guild and honestly I regret not joining one sooner. A guild opens up a lot more fun things to do, people to play with, reasons to play, etc. than when you're going it alone. I highly recommend it!

My only pro-tip would be to remember that guilds get new members all the time, and you don't want to be the one immediately asking everyone for a ton of help - I was a little over excited at the prospect of having some help on some roadblocks and didn't really appreciate that folks can get (understandably) fatigued doing the same couple of epic encounters over and over until someone (very nicely, don't get me wrong) pointed it out to me. I was super embarrassed when it finally clicked.

So long story long, I vote you join a guild, but don't be "that guy" (aka, me :p)

Loadsamoney
07-01-2021, 08:23 PM
I've applied to a couple. I haven't heard anything back though.

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 03:57 AM
What kind of damage per swing are you looking at with Swiftwind? I know the off-hand doesn't gain bonus damage, and Swiftwind cannot be in the main hand, so it's...what, a maximum of 26 damage per off-hand swing, not counting Strength modifiers? (13*2) basically?

Whereas Earthcaller is looking at (14+11*2) at Level 60, or up to 50 damage a swing not counting Strength modifiers?

I'd imagine Strength counts for quite a bit as you get higher, because I'm still using Dual Lamentations at Level 34, and I'm getting some main-hand swings as high as 36 or so. Iirc, the formula is 1 bonus damage starting at Level 28, and 1 extra bonus damage every 3 levels after that, so with a Lammy my ratio should be (9+3*2), or 24 per swing before Strength is factored in, and I'm hitting quite a bit above that with my main-hand Lammy.

For reference, I'm a Human Ranger with the base 80 Strength, and with my current gear, using my own buffs, including Strength of Earth, I'm getting 168 Strength.

Cecily
07-04-2021, 01:12 PM
Not gonna read all that beautiful mind math fwiw. You'll want a two hander in situations where you're fighting damage shielded mobs, like in hate, because you'll literally kill yourself on them. Otherwise, whatever + swiftwind tends to be the best setup. It's good to have a secondary haste piece. It's not required.

Vonhammer gave me this advice and it's good, so here:

Get your epics, a fungi, and sky cloak. Then you can solo to 60. Have fun.

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Not gonna read all that beautiful mind math fwiw. You'll want a two hander in situations where you're fighting damage shielded mobs, like in hate, because you'll literally kill yourself on them. Otherwise, whatever + swiftwind tends to be the best setup. It's good to have a secondary haste piece. It's not required.

Vonhammer gave me this advice and it's good, so here:

Get your epics, a fungi, and sky cloak. Then you can solo to 60. Have fun.

Starting at 51 I intend to start putting in the legwork towards my Epics, at least get all the running around and foraging done with so it's just the MQable parts that remain, and I slowly buy those off over time. After it's down to the MQable parts, then I start the grind for Thurgadin armor, getting faction up and then either doing Kael parties for armor pieces, or hunting down the gems.

Which begs the question, what can I solo at 51 onwards that will drop the gems I need for Thurgadin armor turn-ins?

Naethyn
07-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Quiver haste.

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 01:39 PM
Quiver haste.

After I get Swiftwind, a Fleeting Quiver and Tolan's Bracer are next on my list. Though root rotting with a bow is probably not as effective for me as melee with my current bow, Talisen Bow of the Trailblazer. And I'm not changing this out until one of the velious raid bows comes along, one that procs Avatar.

Croco
07-04-2021, 06:08 PM
After I get Swiftwind, a Fleeting Quiver and Tolan's Bracer are next on my list. Though root rotting with a bow is probably not as effective for me as melee with my current bow, Talisen Bow of the Trailblazer. And I'm not changing this out until one of the velious raid bows comes along, one that procs Avatar.

you won't be getting anything that procs avatar without getting into one of the 3 raiding guilds that kills anything in ST

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 06:18 PM
you won't be getting anything that procs avatar without getting into one of the 3 raiding guilds that kills anything in ST

Then I'll probably be using Talisen forever, unless I get a better replacement from a quest. I chose that bow for the stats, makes it comparable to an Idol of the Thorned.

But my goal is to start doing all the running around and foraging for my Epic once I hit level 51, get a group together for the Darkelf Reaver and Jaeli the Insane in The Hole, and MQ the swirling stone, VS stone (unless a guild needs a tracker in exchange for one of the stones), and eventually the Inny Emerald when I can afford it.

I'll have 25k plat banked by Level 51, so I should be able to afford the Swiftwind half at least. 14k after that will go to Winter's Fury, Fleeting Quiver and Tolan's Bracer, and I'll attempt to farm the gems and the thurgadin armor pieces myself.

Croco
07-04-2021, 06:58 PM
You'll need a guild for that too. There's nothing you'll be able to kill as a solo ranger that drops thurg armor pieces.

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 07:15 PM
You'll need a guild for that too. There's nothing you'll be able to kill as a solo ranger that drops thurg armor pieces.

Cmon man, you gotta give this poor old Ranger a little light at the end of the tunnel to work with...

The plan was to pug groups in Kael to get the pieces and then farm the gems solo, whichever ones can be solo'd at least. If I can dovetail the gem farming with exp grinding as I work towards 60, all the better.

I'm still on the hunt for a guild, though I've applied for Axiom at the moment.

Snaggles
07-04-2021, 09:06 PM
You can farm plat and buy velious armor MQ’s.
You can farm plat and buy an exquisite bow.
You can farm plat and buy an Earthcaller MQ
You can farm plat and buy a BFG
You can farm plat and buy LR’s for an Eyepatch of Plunder

It’s entirely possible to be a casual player with great gear if you want to farm it. Frankly you don’t need any of that stuff. If you are a good player you are a good ranger. There are far more bad ones out there.

Loadsamoney
07-04-2021, 09:48 PM
You can farm plat and buy velious armor MQ’s.
You can farm plat and buy an exquisite bow.
You can farm plat and buy an Earthcaller MQ
You can farm plat and buy a BFG
You can farm plat and buy LR’s for an Eyepatch of Plunder

It’s entirely possible to be a casual player with great gear if you want to farm it. Frankly you don’t need any of that stuff. If you are a good player you are a good ranger. There are far more bad ones out there.

I'd say I'm a bad ranger that hopes to become better at it in the future. Maybe once I find a guild the more seasoned rangers will show me the ropes.

Loadsamoney
07-14-2021, 10:26 PM
At level 40 and up, which of these two should be in the main hand and which in the offhand, Winter's Fury and Frostbringer?

Snaggles
07-15-2021, 01:02 AM
Napkin math (higher number is better):
Mainhand: damage x2 + damage bonus /delay
Offhand: Mainhand: damage x2 /delay

Best is to parse though.

A FB is a pretty bad ranger weapon for group work but decent for solo. With your dual wield skill being so low I’d go 2h until a Swiftwind. I had a woodsman and solid haste until 58 and even before the 2h damage bonus upgrade it did very well. It’s not for everyone “feel” wise but it’s extremely difficult/costly to beat.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 01:13 AM
Napkin math (higher number is better):
Mainhand: damage x2 + damage bonus /delay
Offhand: Mainhand: damage x2 /delay

Best is to parse though.

A FB is a pretty bad ranger weapon for group work but decent for solo. With your dual wield skill being so low I’d go 2h until a Swiftwind. I had a woodsman and solid haste until 58 and even before the 2h damage bonus upgrade it did very well. It’s not for everyone “feel” wise but it’s extremely difficult/costly to beat.

I pretty much solo exclusively right now, and I alternate between 2 Lamentations and a Silver Swiftblade. And my Dual Wield is capped at 205 right now.

I don't want to invest in a Woodsman's Staff because it's Ranger only and would be hard to resell later. I tried to buy a Springwood Stave as an alternative (since it's dirt cheap and not too big of a dropoff in DPS) but couldn't find a seller.

When you say FB is a bad ranger weapon for group play, I'm assuming that's because its proc is high threat (because of the AC debuff) and bad for a Ranger that doesn't intend to tank in a group? Does that mean that using Flame Lick, Immolate, or Call of Sky Proc is a bad idea in a group for a Ranger that isn't tanking?

Snaggles
07-15-2021, 09:57 AM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293716&highlight=Woodsman

One of a few times I sold a Woodsman Staff. Always made 3.5-5k. Here is a post of the Wiki today

https://wiki.project1999.com/Woodsman%27s_Staff

In that same time Jade Mace’s and Lamentarions have dropped in half, or less.

Do whatever you want. I’m trying to give seasoned advice here based on math. Killing npcs twice as fast is twice the exp or twice the plat if there are enough spawns.

A woodsman is a .885 ratio. Lammies are .473 (and your offhand is probably only swinging 1/3rd the time). A Silver Swiftblade is .66 ratio. Shrug, the Woodsman was the GOAT in Kunark for rangers, now it’s even better. If it doesn’t fit your justification/narrative that’s fine but it’s still the best upgrade for the money per the calculator for your level.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 10:58 AM
What about Argent Protector. It's pretty close at 0.857 and a Pally or SK can use it later. My Pally is close to getting Fiery Avenger so is probably beyond AP, but I intend to make a Troll SK at some point.

Snaggles
07-15-2021, 12:18 PM
The AP is on par with an exquisite. I used a reaver from lvl 40-55 then a Narandi from 55-60 soloing with my paladin. Not being ranger-usable is a bummer.

IMHO; the AP is nice and serviceable I guess. You could also go with a Herbalist Spade. Most the chardok stuff is overfarmed and likely to lose value. The Woodsman is farmed less (City of Mist black reavers) and has a fairly unique graphic so it's the go-to choice for cheap ranger alts.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 12:29 PM
I guess the ultimate question would be: Will I still be using my Woodsman Staff (or Springwood) even after I've completed my Epic? The only reason I can see to use a 2-hander at that point is if I'm fighting raid mobs with a damage shield.

Ennewi
07-15-2021, 01:56 PM
The only reason I can see to use a 2-hander at that point is if I'm fighting raid mobs with a damage shield.

Or jousting.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Or jousting.

Wouldn't Argent Protector beat Woodsman in that sense then? More potential damage per swing, and because of the delay, a bigger damage bonus. Woodsman wins clearly in one on one, but AP would be better for jousting and probably more efficient against damage shields too.

Snaggles
07-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't Argent Protector beat Woodsman in that sense then? More potential damage per swing, and because of the delay, a bigger damage bonus. Woodsman wins clearly in one on one, but AP would be better for jousting and probably more efficient against damage shields too.

Besides a tantor an Earthshaker is the GOAT jousting ranger weapon. 56dmg bonus at 60, possible 246dd proc.

AP is a bit worse than Woodsman ratio wise, it also looks silly (imho).

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 02:32 PM
Besides a tantor an Earthshaker is the GOAT jousting ranger weapon. 56dmg bonus at 60, possible 246dd proc.

AP is a bit worse than Woodsman ratio wise, it also looks silly (imho).

That's pretty much why I refuse to use Woodsmans, because it looks silly for a Ranger to be using a two-handed staff like they're a Monk or something. But I'm still gonna get a Springwood, to train 2hb if nothing else.

But for the other two weapons, Frostbringer Main Hand and Winter's Edge in the Offhand I take it, until I get Swiftwind to replace it anyway?

Snaggles
07-15-2021, 02:43 PM
That's pretty much why I refuse to use Woodsmans, because it looks silly for a Ranger to be using a two-handed staff like they're a Monk or something. But I'm still gonna get a Springwood, to train 2hb if nothing else.

But for the other two weapons, Frostbringer Main Hand and Winter's Edge in the Offhand I take it, until I get Swiftwind to replace it anyway?

You don't have to train 2hb at all if you don't want to. You can use Silver Swiftblade to 30; once the damage cap goes away get a better ratio one (.75%+) and use that until you get your epic. People always go Woodsman because it's 30% cheaper than a 2hs (since it's ranger only).

Neither. Seriously, find a good 2hs and do not look back. When you get a Swiftwind you can worry about what to MH with it. Guard Captain Mallet is easily the best ranger weapon for the plat once you are 50+ and epiced. If you want to dual-wield before that feel free but know you are actively handicapping yourself.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 03:01 PM
You don't have to train 2hb at all if you don't want to. You can use Silver Swiftblade to 30; once the damage cap goes away get a better ratio one (.75%+) and use that until you get your epic. People always go Woodsman because it's 30% cheaper than a 2hs (since it's ranger only).

Neither. Seriously, find a good 2hs and do not look back. When you get a Swiftwind you can worry about what to MH with it. Guard Captain Mallet is easily the best ranger weapon for the plat once you are 50+ and epiced. If you want to dual-wield before that feel free but know you are actively handicapping yourself.

Woodsman and AP are both 4kpp, so Woodsman is not cheaper as far as I'm concerned. And since it's Ranger only, it's harder to resell.

You're not understanding why I'm hesitant to sink so much plat into a weapon I will only use temporarily and then never use again, and may not be able to resell ever because Rangers are so uncommon on Blue. I'm gonna try and get a Springwood, but the only way I'm getting a Woodsman is if I go farm one myself, and I'm not sure a solo Ranger can do that even at 60.

But Guard Captain Mallet seems like a good weapon. It beats both FB and WF?

Gozuk
07-15-2021, 04:26 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Forged_Velium_Claidhmore is a great option too

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 04:34 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Forged_Velium_Claidhmore is a great option too

I see the various velium weapons sell for pretty high amounts. I always thought it was because they're part of a quest chain.

Gozuk
07-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Not for a quest. Some of them are really good for the plat if you just need a solid dps weapon.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2021, 04:53 PM
Not for a quest. Some of them are really good for the plat if you just need a solid dps weapon.

I'll consider it, but something else I didn't mention is that stats like Str, Sta, HP, Mana, AC, all that stuff, is a heavy consideration for me when I pick a weapon to commit to. Procs too, but not to the same degree of importance. The weapons ratio is generally secondary to me, but preferably I like the fastest weapons I can get my hands on, hence why Lamentations appealed to me so much. Strength/Stamina/HP, lightning fast, almost weightless, and fairly cheap.

Harvest
07-16-2021, 04:33 AM
Worth getting your HS key and asking a soloing enchanter for this if its rotting too. The proc is an aoe but the damage is superb. Great combo with your offhand epic for dps and like I said, it rots all the time

https://wiki.project1999.com/Fayguard_Parrying_Dagger

Gozuk
07-16-2021, 12:42 PM
I still want that dagger on my ranger so bad

Snaggles
07-16-2021, 12:54 PM
I still want that dagger on my ranger so bad

Same lol. I mainly just want to be even lazier during faction pulls :)

Loadsamoney
07-16-2021, 03:07 PM
Same lol. I mainly just want to be even lazier during faction pulls :)

Well you've turned me to the dark side. I'm trying to buy a Woodsman's Staff now. I figure if anything, it would still be useful even after I get my Epic for certain raid mobs.

It's gonna be weird walking around as a Monk in plate armor casting Druid magic.

Snaggles
07-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Well you've turned me to the dark side. I'm trying to buy a Woodsman's Staff now. I figure if anything, it would still be useful even after I get my Epic for certain raid mobs.

It's gonna be weird walking around as a Monk in plate armor casting Druid magic.

Great! Yea it's a good weapon for a very long time. Easy to sell once you get bored of it; at least per my experience. Ranger alts are very popular.

Woodrow
07-24-2021, 05:57 PM
Whoah I didnt know worn haste items don't stack, so I should only wear 1 haste item...

DeathsSilkyMist
07-24-2021, 08:37 PM
Whoah I didnt know worn haste items don't stack, so I should only wear 1 haste item...

Yes, the highest haste % is what the game will use if you wear multiple haste items. Only reason to wear multiple haste items is if the haste item has good stats on top of the haste.