PDA

View Full Version : Monk Tstaff VS AC / SOS and Epic / SoS

TripleLegit
06-06-2021, 05:58 PM
I know this has been discussed extensively, but many of the posts I’ve found are older and they are inconsistent with some of the answers I get in Game.

At what point does AC / SOS become better dps than Tstaff? I’ve heard sometime in the 40’s but no one says that anymore. Also, what about epic (bare fist) and sos offhand.

Thanks in advanced.

Man0warr
06-07-2021, 12:27 AM
The formula for 1H (and 2H until final Velious patch revamps damage bonus based on delay) Damage Bonus is (Level - 25) / 3. You'd have to do some more math to get rough DPS but around late 40s/low level 50s is when AC/SoS overtake 29/30.

Epic/SoS is the best 1H combo you can get in Kunark outside of two Wu's Fist of Mastery.

All this goes out the window in the final pre-Luclin patch when 2H damage bonus is revamped to scale upwards based on Delay - then there are a few 2H that are comparable or better than the best 1H setups.

Edit - if you are mostly soloing or tanking for groups it's still probably worth using TStaff even up to 60 just because you'll trigger less enemy ripostes, your ripostes will do more damage, and TStaff stun lowers enemy DPS by a non-zero amount. The Adamantite Club proc isn't great for just DPSing in a group because it generates a lot of aggro.

TripleLegit
06-07-2021, 12:39 AM
Thank you, that is very helpful!

DMN
06-08-2021, 02:24 PM
if you are looking for max damage you have to consider the hidden fist technique on a two hander. dontcha? its actually one of the very few slight advantages to playing a human have over ikky monk.

Toxigen
06-08-2021, 02:46 PM
if you are looking for max damage you have to consider the hidden fist technique on a two hander. dontcha? its actually one of the very few slight advantages to playing a human have over ikky monk.

huh? iksars can do it too

the simple answer is just use T staff unless you're a dps monk on a high lvl raid target

odds are you're taking dmg - the dmg mitigation of t staff (or any decent 2 hander like IFS / peacebringer) more than makes up any slight loss in dmg

theres a good reason why t staves are 50-60k

DMN
06-08-2021, 02:47 PM
huh? iksars can do it too

the simple answer is just use T staff unless you're a dps monk on a high lvl raid target

ya they can but they have a worse ratio on their fists.

Man0warr
06-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Everyone has the same ratio with Epic :D

Also 2h/fist swapping is more trouble than it's worth. But technically it's max DPS.

Stonewallx39
06-09-2021, 11:21 AM
Also 2h/fist swapping is more trouble than it's worth. But technically it's max DPS.

Yes…. I agree with this definitely not worth it… id be happy to take that t-staff of your hands so you can focus on 1hb…

Snaggles
06-10-2021, 06:23 AM
Parse it. These days with the 2h bonus damage change maybe never. 15/25 is a pretty gross MH ratio.

Toxigen
06-11-2021, 09:49 AM
IFS is probably the best bang-for-buck monk weapon out there for the solo / small group tanking monk.

Wildly underrated, 10% the cost of a T staff...can essentially have a IFS and Fungi for the same price. That super slow speed makes it really easy to swap out for the fist attacks too if you're a sperg about dps.

If you've got the cash, then T staff no question of course.

JustinWK
06-11-2021, 02:49 PM
I've parsed all three on a level 60 (human) monk recently - Noteworthy: Target aggroed on the monk for ripostes. For me, it always ends with the T-Staff out damaging 1) epic fists, 2) SoS offhand, 3) Adamantite Club offhand, excluding (I think) the damage procs.

Keebz
06-11-2021, 04:13 PM
I've parsed all three on a level 60 (human) monk recently - Noteworthy: Target aggroed on the monk for ripostes. For me, it always ends with the T-Staff out damaging 1) epic fists, 2) SoS offhand, 3) Adamantite Club offhand, excluding (I think) the damage procs.

Same.

Stonewallx39
06-12-2021, 12:02 PM

We’re you parsing on Blue or Green or possibly both?

I’ve had really good luck with the Peacebringer (I’m on budget damnit!) It is 97% of the T staff for 4% of the price. I do click between swings too to help maximize DPS during the brief windows when I’m not pulling.

Stonewallx39
06-12-2021, 01:40 PM
One other question for anyone who has parsed, have you tried parsing on different targets? I’ve heard in velious with higher AC you want to focus on fast weapons which rely heavily on damage bonus (epics fists would seem to shine here).

I’ve also thought that AC/SOS might really struggled for these encounters as they’re essentially two very slow 1 handed weapons which rely on good inherent ratios vs damage bonus. OP might be asking about green era, but Velious will be out there soon too.

***bonus question*** Is there a good parser or set up guide you’d recommend I’ve been wanting to experiment myself and might just need to bite the bullet.

TripleLegit
06-12-2021, 02:23 PM
Well now I’m back to confused between two opinions HAHA

Man0warr
06-12-2021, 06:39 PM
If you are on Blue, then 2H weapons are viable or in some cases the highest DPS weapons, tanking or otherwise. If you are on Green, then 1H weapons surpass 2H options like T-Staff in the early 50s in a non-tanking situation, until the final Velious patch. Simple as that.

TripleLegit
06-12-2021, 07:14 PM
And then of course there is offhand Scepter of mastery versus Stave of shielding.

Yeah I’m on Blue.

Toxigen
06-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Just go IFS (or T staff if plenty of plat).

Peacebringer sucks its too heavy.

circlerogue
06-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Has anyone every parsed the DPS of a Blam Stick (https://wiki.project1999.com/Blam_Stick)? Based on its high delay, I assumed that the amazing ratio would be negated by a faster weapon's damage bonus, but a friend of mine swears that the damage bonus of the Blam Stick is better than that of faster one-handers.

Also, how does the DPS of a Herb Spade (https://wiki.project1999.com/Herbalist%27s_Spade) compare to a T-staff? With a slower delay, I would assume the damage bonus is better

jijii
06-15-2021, 05:33 PM
Dmg bonus is static for all 1h. Friend is wrong. Blam stick is decent because of the ratio, not because of a better bonus.

T-staff is better than herb spade. The ratio more than covers the gap of the very slightly better bonus on herb spade, and that’s before the proc.

T-staff is fantastic. If you can afford it, it’s absolutely worth using in nearly every scenario, if you don’t have access to outright superior ratio (raid target) weps.

TripleLegit
06-15-2021, 05:46 PM
Looks like I’m selling my SOS today….

Crede
06-15-2021, 07:51 PM

Don’t do that…the proc alone is worth getting a sos

Baler
06-15-2021, 07:56 PM

How much you want for it?

Toxigen
06-16-2021, 11:20 AM
T-staff is fantastic. If you can afford it, it’s absolutely worth using in nearly every scenario, if you don’t have access to outright superior ratio (raid target) weps.

This.

Also if you're a raiding monk save up a little for this absolute banger budget dkp weapon (https://wiki.project1999.com/Facesmasher).

TripleLegit
06-16-2021, 11:50 AM
This.

Also if you're a raiding monk save up a little for this absolute banger budget dkp weapon (https://wiki.project1999.com/Facesmasher).

Dem stats doh. 😱

TripleLegit
06-16-2021, 11:51 AM
How much you want for it?

2kpp

Graahle
06-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Facesmasher is such a monstrosity of a weapon for the era.

Toxigen
06-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Facesmasher is such a monstrosity of a weapon for the era.

For not needing to go nuts raiding to acquire the DKP for an Abashi's nor worrying about VP (Bo Staff) / ST (primal).....its a ton of value for the amount of total time you'll spend to acquire it especially with bag limits in place.

Its a casual raider's wet dream.

Crede
06-18-2021, 11:10 AM
For not needing to go nuts raiding to acquire the DKP for an Abashi's nor worrying about VP (Bo Staff) / ST (primal).....its a ton of value for the amount of total time you'll spend to acquire it especially with bag limits in place.

Its a casual raider's wet dream.

It looks like OT hammer though, terrible fashion fail.

wagorf
06-18-2021, 03:47 PM

Stonewallx39
06-25-2021, 09:46 AM

<Gasp> that’s worth the time to VP key in and of itself!

Fashionquest is end game priority…

Toxigen
06-25-2021, 11:28 AM

this is very true

if you wanna ball hard you gotta go hard

meathook
06-26-2021, 02:23 PM
I've done extensive parsing with various combinations of kunark weapons. Best DPS combo is Wu fist/SoS followed by T-staff if you account for proc damage. T staff is even better than Bo Staff of Trorsmang if you account for 2 procs per minute, assuming max DEX.

This only applies to Green in the current timeline.

Bardp1999
06-28-2021, 04:01 PM
Can confirm it feels really bad equipping Facesmasher because of the poor fashion- However it is an incredible budget item because its 4th BiS or whatever so no one wants it - I have also accidently gated myself because I thought I had the Facesmasher on and i had OT hammer equipped (more than once)

Toxigen
06-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Can confirm it feels really bad equipping Facesmasher because of the poor fashion- However it is an incredible budget item because its 4th BiS or whatever so no one wants it - I have also accidently gated myself because I thought I had the Facesmasher on and i had OT hammer equipped (more than once)

hah, yup

shaman buddy: well guess im gating out of this mess you left me in

Stonewallx39
06-30-2021, 08:53 AM
In Velious era, is there a rule of thumb for how to determine which mobs to use 2hb on vs epic?

When fighting a high AC mob (let’s say like a King Tormax?) if you should use epic, do you keep SoS in offhand? I suppose there’s no benefit from damage bonus so you just go with best ratio.

Ravager
07-11-2021, 12:04 PM
In Velious era, is there a rule of thumb for how to determine which mobs to use 2hb on vs epic?

When fighting a high AC mob (let’s say like a King Tormax?) if you should use epic, do you keep SoS in offhand? I suppose there’s no benefit from damage bonus so you just go with best ratio.

Yes, SoS offhand. Don't use epic on a mob with a damage shield. Do use epic on mobs you're trying to push.

bradsamma
08-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Yes, SoS offhand. Don't use epic on a mob with a damage shield. Do use epic on mobs you're trying to push.

Push does basically nothing now.

Ravager
08-10-2021, 10:52 PM
Push does basically nothing now.

That's lame. I guess if you're a monk with an epic then, buy a bunch of instant click Gnomish Fireworks, keep those on you at all times and when you need to look like you're doing something useful, spam the crap out of them.

rubicaant
09-22-2021, 09:57 PM
2 handers get a high dmg bonus, but it doesn't scale up with the slower delay as much as it should. The sweet spot is actually around 30ish delay, that's why Tstaff gets closer to Shovel of the Harvest and other Ntov 2handers than you think it would.