PDA

View Full Version : The case for a Tunare enchanter.

tadkins
04-23-2021, 11:04 PM
Been sitting here for the last couple days trying to figure out what I ultimately want to play as a main. Got a decent chunk of life savings platinum waiting for whatever choice I make. Two of the stronger contenders I have in mind are an agnostic human enchanter, or a Tunare HIE enchanter.

I've heard the arguments for going agnostic all the time and I know it's pretty much the default choice. But the more I think about it, the Tunare option might be a good one too. There seems to be good reasons for going that route.

-The imbued High Elf Cultural chain is quite good for an enchanter.
-The Ancient Tomes (https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Ancient_Tomes) quest later when Velious hits (rolling on Green server). Great piece of gear and I can't picture there being too much competition there.
-More of a personal taste thing, but essentially choosing a side in the world. The thing with an agnostic human enchanter, is that I would be compelled to keep my factions maintained everywhere, and thus would feel like I'm walking on eggshells with all the groups. That would limit my killing options. With the Tunare one I could feel like a true "good guy" and use my unlimited cosmic charming power on the various evil guards and NPCs of the world without much of a care.
-Rest of the reasons are also more of a personal taste thing. I like the idea of being friendly with the fae-folk throughout the Faydarks, reminds me of those fay-pact warlocks and sorcerers in D&D who often wield the powers typically attributed to enchanters in this game. Tunare is also a cool and pretty deity herself. :)

There might be other cons with that choice but these are a couple of the more immediate ones I thought of.

-Raiding PoG later will be an issue. What would a guild say if I ask to not have to help with killing anything in there (but still want to be able to raid other places)?
-Epic might be tougher at some points. Verina Tomb in particular, can't really use the whole city of Neriak to try and solo her. Reania Jukle might also be tough to reach though I suppose that part is optional.
-Not entirely sure how the brownies will feel about it, but I can't imagine much of a problem there.

Just felt like sharing some thoughts I've had over the last couple days, trying to decide what to play. Thanks for listening. :D

tadkins
04-23-2021, 11:46 PM
uh, you know enchanters can't wear chain, right?

and while that head piece is nice and all but not exactly much beffer then just a plain old tranix crown. By the time PoG is on green it will be selling for sub 10k.

Generally collaboration will be offset any given religious faction penalty, so won't wake much difference at that time.

i'd be curious to check if you take any faction penalty in the siren's grotto or velk lab for being tunare, personally. that could really make you regret your decision come velious.

They can wear this chain (https://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Elven_Chain_Tunic).

I honestly don't know much about enchanters, or even the higher level game, so my thoughts might be ill-informed. I didn't know there were factions to worry about in Siren's Grotto or Velk's Lab though.

You do have a point about the crown, but eh, it seems cool and it would essentially be free, hehe.

DMN
04-23-2021, 11:49 PM
They can wear this chain (https://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Elven_Chain_Tunic).

I honestly don't know much about enchanters, or even the higher level game, so my thoughts might be ill-informed. I didn't know there were factions to worry about in Siren's Grotto or Velk's Lab though.

You do have a point about the crown, but eh, it seems cool and it would essentially be free, hehe.

ya i actually had deleted that and was gonna repost this instead. the chain stuff isnt even going remotely as good as a lot of other items:

while that head piece is nice and all but not exactly much better then just a plain old tranix crown. By the time PoG is on green it will be selling for sub 10k.

same story with the other slots. invariably there will be plenty of better items and many slots for cheap pp.

That said, generally collaboration will be able offset any given religious faction penalty, so won't wake much difference at that time.

but i'd be curious to check if you take any faction penalty in the siren's grotto or velk lab for being tunare, personally. that could really make you regret your decision come velious.

tadkins
04-23-2021, 11:54 PM
ya i actually had deleted that and was gonna repost this instead.

Ah my bad, hehe. Should I delete my response too?

But yup while I probably would upgrade that stuff when it finally does come time to raid, there's no guarantee I'll be able to and even if I got into a guild, gear pretty much comes at a trickle, doesn't it? So theoretically I'd still be wearing that stuff for a long time. Plus it just looks plain cool and unique. :)

I'd be less afraid of trashing factions on a Tunare enchanter. The bandit sash quest for instance, which would be a good boost of plat early on. Also killing troll/ogre/DE guards later. Guards are the easiest and quickest sources of cash I know. I'd be afraid of touching those as a regular agnostic human.

Can you elaborate on the factions within SG and Velk's? I had no idea there were any there.

DMN
04-24-2021, 12:02 AM
By using combination of illusion and faction spells you are able to move around velk and SQ without being KOS to most of the zone.

the big problem is there is no way to gain that faction -- so you never want to lose either faction if you wish to remain non-KOs there. if you get a neg faction hit for tunare at either of them it means you will forever be KOs there.

tadkins
04-24-2021, 12:04 AM
By using combination of illusion and faction spells you are able to move around velk and SQ without being KOS to most of the zone.

the big problem is there is no way to gain that faction -- so you never want to lose either faction if you wish to remain non-KOs there.

Oh that's awesome, had no idea.

But yup you're right, there's no real way to confirm until I got to that level whether a deity would affect that, unless someone else has experience and could chime in.

Alrighty, agnostic it is. Thanks. xD

unsunghero
04-24-2021, 01:40 PM
1. You’ll never get your epic on green server, FYI. Don’t mean to sound cynical that’s just how it is

2. I just discovered there is a fairly mandatory quest to get your level 44 tash spell, the only way to get it, that requires you to go into some of the evil cities like Neriak and oggok. I never quested for my incandescent or rod of glamour, just bought them, and I’d buy the spell too if I could but the scroll reward is no drop :(

unsunghero
04-24-2021, 03:04 PM
1. You’ll never get your epic on green server, FYI. Don’t mean to sound cynical that’s just how it is

2. I just discovered there is a fairly mandatory quest to get your level 44 tash spell, the only way to get it, that requires you to go into some of the evil cities like Neriak and oggok. I never quested for my incandescent or rod of glamour, just bought them, and I’d buy the spell too if I could but the scroll reward is no drop :(

Nm someone could probably still just invis and do the quest even if KOS for some reason

tadkins
04-24-2021, 05:56 PM

Eh, I still dream of one day seeing raid content and earning an epic. Even if it takes me 10 years to do so. If I can just get past this hurdle of chronic rerolling and trying to figure out what I want my main to be. It has to happen at some point, right?

I will admit that the difficulty of the epic plays a factor though. Monk, rogue and cleric appeal to me because they have easy epics, and the biggest downside to magician is how buttclenchingly tough theirs is (even though I do like that class). I'm not the strongest, most competitive, or most well-connected person though so I do know how tough it's going to be regardless.

But yup I thought the tash spell just required invising in people's cities. I did quest for the incandescent stuff at one point but had to pass on the mask because the guy I used to do the quests was quite KoS in Qeynos, hehe. Ended up just buying that one.

DMN
04-24-2021, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the enchanter epic. it's easily in the F tier of epics. it's a free haste. so what? mana generation is not a problem for an enc.

tadkins
04-24-2021, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the enchanter epic. it's easily in the F tier of epics. it's a free haste. so what? mana generation is not a problem for an enc.

It's more of a personal thing, been interested in EQ 20+ years and have never earned an epic or seen a raid zone. I am determined to try and do both before I die.

But this is assuming I even choose enchanter, I'm still not sure. Been sitting here literally two days trying to decide, after liquidating all of my gear and life savings.

unsunghero
04-24-2021, 07:40 PM
It's more of a personal thing, been interested in EQ 20+ years and have never earned an epic or seen a raid zone. I am determined to try and do both before I die.

But this is assuming I even choose enchanter, I'm still not sure. Been sitting here literally two days trying to decide, after liquidating all of my gear and life savings.

Hmmm....given a 10 year timeline? May be do-able. I believe the roadblock mob Verina is still nearly perma-locked down even on blue which has been out for 10 years. Although I have heard of some people sneaking a kill. What you need to do is find a shaman with torpor willing to give you his RL phone #, and offer a bribe of like 3-5k pp. Then camp your enchanter at the mob and continue to check for weeks and months, and then phone the shaman to log on and meet you if she ever came up. Supposedly she can be solo'd but it sounds pretty complicated (need to have some clickies like complete heal for charmed pet and I believe to drain all her mana somehow), and it would be easier to get a single char to duo her than trying to get a larger group to help. But you'd still run into the problem of getting the shaman down to her before someone else noticed and stole the kill. Most of the time I heard on forums of someone sneaking the kill is when they had a torpor shaman able to meet them to duo her

tadkins
04-24-2021, 08:36 PM
Hmmm....given a 10 year timeline? May be do-able. I believe the roadblock mob Verina is still nearly perma-locked down even on blue which has been out for 10 years. Although I have heard of some people sneaking a kill. What you need to do is find a shaman with torpor willing to give you his RL phone #, and offer a bribe of like 3-5k pp. Then camp your enchanter at the mob and continue to check for weeks and months, and then phone the shaman to log on and meet you if she ever came up. Supposedly she can be solo'd but it sounds pretty complicated (need to have some clickies like complete heal for charmed pet and I believe to drain all her mana somehow), and it would be easier to get a single char to duo her than trying to get a larger group to help. But you'd still run into the problem of getting the shaman down to her before someone else noticed and stole the kill. Most of the time I heard on forums of someone sneaking the kill is when they had a torpor shaman able to meet them to duo her

That is fair. I probably won't look at enchanter anymore then. I also heard the clicky thing was no longer doable with Soulfire only being usable by paladins now (which isn't a bad thing imo, real paladins never had a chance to get soulfire before the change). But, I dunno, part of me had hoped even my socially awkward and depressed ass might have made at least a couple of friends by then to help out.

Back to the drawing board I suppose then, lol.

loramin
04-24-2021, 09:04 PM
That is fair. I probably won't look at enchanter anymore then. I also heard the clicky thing was no longer doable with Soulfire only being usable by paladins now (which isn't a bad thing imo, real paladins never had a chance to get soulfire before the change). But, I dunno, part of me had hoped even my socially awkward and depressed ass might have made at least a couple of friends by then to help out.

Back to the drawing board I suppose then, lol.

Don't let people discourage you: you can get any epic on P99, if you have enough time and dedication. You may have to make friends, join an uber guild, etc. ... but it's 100% doable.

Quite literally someone of each class gets their epic every other week, if not every week (at least when the devs feel inclined to do earthquakes ... it's probably closer to once a month when they don't). You could be that someone.

tadkins
04-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Quite literally someone of each class gets their epic every other week, if not every week (at least when the devs feel inclined to do earthquakes ... it's probably closer to once a month when they don't). You could be that someone.

Thank you for that. It's what I always figured too, P99 only has so many people, and only a percentage of those are even epic eligible, right? I always kind of clung to that as a bit of hope that even someone like me would be able to eventually get one.

But yup, atm I am doing both of the necro and enchanter SolRo armor piece quests, just in case I decide to pick one of those classes for my main. Still trying to decide but I figure it's better than just sitting here doing nothing, right? xD

unsunghero
04-24-2021, 11:35 PM
Thank you for that. It's what I always figured too, P99 only has so many people, and only a percentage of those are even epic eligible, right? I always kind of clung to that as a bit of hope that even someone like me would be able to eventually get one.

But yup, atm I am doing both of the necro and enchanter SolRo armor piece quests, just in case I decide to pick one of those classes for my main. Still trying to decide but I figure it's better than just sitting here doing nothing, right? xD

Yea didn’t mean to discourage. Could always still join a powerguild, make friends who happen to be on, schedule a kill of Verina (if people do that?), etc

And there should be a complete heal clicky that exists, a weapon with 1 charge of complete heal. It supposedly is useful for tough solo kills, since you can complete heal your charmed pet with it

tadkins
04-24-2021, 11:44 PM
Yea didn’t mean to discourage. Could always still join a powerguild, make friends who happen to be on, schedule a kill of Verina (if people do that?), etc

And there should be a complete heal clicky that exists, a weapon with 1 charge of complete heal. It supposedly is useful for tough solo kills, since you can complete heal your charmed pet with it
I am hoping I could join a decent guild one day. I just need to pick a main and stick to it. That's the tough part right now, haha. Been sitting here trying to figure out where I really want to go there.

Are you referring to the Reaper of the Dead? I'm wondering if that is usable by non-SKs. If so that might actually be a good case for rolling a dark elf Innoruuk enchanter.

unsunghero
04-24-2021, 11:56 PM
I am hoping I could join a decent guild one day. I just need to pick a main and stick to it. That's the tough part right now, haha. Been sitting here trying to figure out where I really want to go there.

Are you referring to the Reaper of the Dead? I'm wondering if that is usable by non-SKs. If so that might actually be a good case for rolling a dark elf Innoruuk enchanter.

Yes I think it can be cast from inventory

tadkins
04-25-2021, 12:04 AM
Yes I think it can be cast from inventory

That's pretty cool. I'm leaning toward that option. Dark Elf Inny chanter is now #1 on my list. I know that deity isn't the best choice for an enchanter but I like the flavor, and the feeling that I just belong in Neriak. Plus it would help with acquiring reapers of the dead.

unsunghero
04-25-2021, 12:39 AM
That's pretty cool. I'm leaning toward that option. Dark Elf Inny chanter is now #1 on my list. I know that deity isn't the best choice for an enchanter but I like the flavor, and the feeling that I just belong in Neriak. Plus it would help with acquiring reapers of the dead.

Don’t think you need that Diety to use the reaper, not sure how to get the reaper tho. Then I think you need a clicky that will cast a junk buff, because she dispels, so she’ll dispel charm unless you protect it with junk buff spam. And there’s only 1 particular NPC in Neriak you’ll want to charm vs her. Then she complete heals and I think it’s difficult to prevent. So I think some have won by completely draining her mana via spells. She’s not an easy solo, but it’s been done

tadkins
04-25-2021, 12:52 AM
Don’t think you need that Diety to use the reaper, not sure how to get the reaper tho.

You don't, it's really more of a personal choice. I want to feel evil and I just want my character to feel like he belongs somewhere, if that makes sense. This way I could also play my enchanter in a way where it feels like I won't need to walk on eggshells with all my factions. I'll use my powers to faction up with a couple of cities I like in particular, then throw the rest of them to the wind.

Plus the Dead is kind of a pain in the butt faction to work on so every little bit helps. My only real concern is the brownies, but I think I can just get another enchanter to buy those spells for me, worst case scenario.

7thGate
04-28-2021, 12:04 AM
Dragoon Szorn is the easy Dead faction source, can get faction there pretty easily popping on to whack him every hour.

I like the idea of having an enchanter that isn't agnostic, its unique even if its almost definitely a bad idea from a gameplay power perspective.

Tunabros
05-06-2021, 03:34 AM
tbh its not really worth it just for some head piece that's not even that great

the https://wiki.project1999.com/Insidious_Halo is way better and easier to get

but you do you

roleplay is always fun

Merlikan
05-06-2021, 10:33 AM
Back in the day, pre-Kunark on live, I made a Inny DE Chanter, was a terrible choice before I knew it was a terrible choice. But, also very rewarding to still accomplish getting my epic, after way too many hours of faction fixing with no real benefit beyond getting my epic. Everything in EQ is what you make of it. Don't let people guide your decisions, way too much salt in our society today. Relax, make whatever kind of chanter you want(or not) and just deal with it as you have to. I would say though to look up the epic and try to do the faction fixing in the levels where it is advantageous.

Best regards,