PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency of an Enchanter

MegamanXZOBMV
05-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Few quick questions, hopefully some of the seasoned PvP Enchanters (if there are any?) and victims could shed some light on the issue for me.

Enchanters are probably my second-least favorite class to play in PvE.. just after Cleric. However, my highest level and most used character in Team PvP on Tallon Zek in Live was an Enchanter. I had tons of fun playing with illusions and whatnot, which brings me to a few questions.

How ''good'' is an Enchanter in PvP? Like, the primary strengths and weaknesses and such. What areas is an Enchanter good in? I ask because my Enchanter hardly broke level 20 (I preferred staying low level, so I could stick around Nek and toy with people in Freeport by Minor Illusioning into a cactus, and spent a lot of time making enchanted silver for other lower-level Darkies).

As such, there's a few things I don't know... such as... do Mez and Charm affect PCs? Can I Blind, Whirl, Root, Chase the Moon, and DoT someone for ridiculous amounts of CC? Will my pet actually make a difference? etc.

Actual input and information is appreciated. QQ, hate, trolling, etc is not. I know it's hard for a lot of you, but I think you can manage.

Pudge
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
you can't minor illusion or use illusions to trick ppl anymore. your name will appear over your head regardless. also target ring will make it obvious where you are

how spells land will depend on what the admins want

naez
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Enchanters are one of the most OP classes versus low MR noobs, but it drops off pretty sharply after that to a rapture/tash instadie-to-any1-good bot oshit that warrior just crippled twice your total hp.

Prince
05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
420 smoke w33d ereyday

Lasher
05-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Rune

Tash>pillage>pillage>root/blind/mez>manasieve>nuke
or
Tash>pillage>pillage>let rest of group kill

JayDee
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
on box 1.0, enchanters were the shit. Max charm duration every cast regardless of charisma, whirl being majorly OP, etc.

They're gonna take a big hit with p99 code

JayDee
05-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe now they won't be priority kill in mass pvp

Lasher
05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I have a feeling with everyones gripes about root/snare and how hard melee was hitting on previous boxes you will see less roots and less melee dmg so fights will last longer which is a good thing for ench.

Rushmore
05-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I played an enchanter on 1.0. I admit back then I was horrible at pvp but it didn't matter I was the first target and always dead within a minute.

Never going that route again. I was wondering about playing a wizard. But casters just die so fast.

fiegi
05-27-2011, 09:27 PM
shadowstep/yonder is a beautiful thing......... if you die early on a wizard you're either really bad or super unlucky

Rushmore
05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Are they viable in pvp?

fiegi
05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
as for enchanter you're at the mercy of your healers, which is never a good thing, unless you have whorella and lasher healing you.:D:D

fiegi
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Are they viable in pvp?

Wizards can be good at times, but the majority of the times in pvp they are the class thats the most useless imo, defintly the best class if you just wanna run around ganking ppl tho

Rushmore
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
was looking at gnome/rogue as well for Red99. Wanted to do something different. Who knows. Gnome or Die for me though.

Lasher
05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Every class is good just depends on the setting and the guild/group support.

A gnome warrior can be deadly if played right. He is not as deadly if hes running around with 1hnders in kunark and his healers are leaving him behind. Gnome rog is going to require dungeon fights and good healers. Its not easy to be a solo rog in pvp compared to like being a necro or mage

Rushmore
05-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Every class is good just depends on the setting and the guild/group support.

A gnome warrior can be deadly if played right. He is not as deadly if hes running around with 1hnders in kunark and his healers are leaving him behind. Gnome rog is going to require dungeon fights and good healers. Its not easy to be a solo rog in pvp compared to like being a necro or mage

lol'ed one hand Hall was taking the advice from someone I guess he shouldn't have. One handers--and stick on the cleric.

Gnar
05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
He is not as deadly if hes running around with 1hnders in kunark

lolol

Gnar
05-27-2011, 10:45 PM
lol'ed one hand Hall was taking the advice from someone I guess he shouldn't have. One handers--and stick on the cleric.

Never saw you use anything but 1 handers. But i renenver a time in OT when you were beating gnar for like 5 mins with some random 1h trash and i turned around and swatted you like an annoying insect.

wehrmacht
05-27-2011, 10:53 PM
How ''good'' is an Enchanter in PvP?

Will either be stupidly overpowered or will be pointless to play in comparison to wizard, mage, necro, shaman, druid.

Usually enchanter is the class that has to take the biggest hit in order for PvP to actually be somewhat balanced for every other class in the game.

Gnome rog is going to require dungeon fights and good healers.

That is my biggest complaint about Null's resist system. He goes and takes classes that are already terrible in solo PvP 99% of the time and makes them even worse.

Lasher
05-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I dont know much about null's resist system but rogs just dont have much power unless in a specific setting. As a druid i would never worry about a rog in open field but if i was in a dungeon or caught off guard and he used poison i would probably be fucked. I remember it being like that on live from classic to velious. In velious if I was caught sitting down and a rog found me i was dead but if i saw him coming or wasnt stuck behind mobs i wasnt too scared

Rushmore
05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Never saw you use anything but 1 handers. But i renenver a time in OT when you were beating gnar for like 5 mins with some random 1h trash and i turned around and swatted you like an annoying insect.

Cool Story Bro

Knuckle
05-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe now they won't be priority kill in mass pvp

they are always priority kill in mass pvp for aoe stuns.

Knuckle
05-27-2011, 11:33 PM
The problem with rogue is it requires outwitting your opponent, and setting the stage for success. if you are a young dwarf rogue in 2007, you fought people in guk after they engaged mobs, or camped out near DE mask room and sneak/hid while they engaged assassin and killed the healer.

Doors
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Enchanters are sick if played well. Probably one of the best pvp classes in group fights.

MegamanXZOBMV
05-28-2011, 01:42 AM
So you can't do illusion tricks anymore? Is that an aspect of the P99/OtherServer code, or something outside their control, such as something inherent to client?

Also, not sure if I got an answer for this, sorry if I missed it: Do mesmerize and charm work on Player Characters?

At first glance, the Enchanter spell list makes it look like the Enchanter is a total beast in PvP, and I certainly enjoyed playing mine on Tallon. But I don't know the mechanics and strategies as well as everyone else here, and I intend to try and take my Enchanter as far as I can, instead of just level 20.. so the info is much appreciated.

I'd like to know the strengths, so I can tinker with them and see what I can pull off.

Thanks for all the input so far. =)

Lasher
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
illusion trick can work to some degree. Minor illusin will make you look like a box or what ever and it hides your name but the client that eq uses has a target ring so if a person had you targeted they would see a ring around a box.

Mez does work on players and charm doesnt,well charm isnt coded to. The devs could code it to work on players but doubt it.

Strength= annoyance and disabling

fiegi
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
So you can't do illusion tricks anymore? Is that an aspect of the P99/OtherServer code, or something outside their control, such as something inherent to client?

Also, not sure if I got an answer for this, sorry if I missed it: Do mesmerize and charm work on Player Characters?

At first glance, the Enchanter spell list makes it look like the Enchanter is a total beast in PvP, and I certainly enjoyed playing mine on Tallon. But I don't know the mechanics and strategies as well as everyone else here, and I intend to try and take my Enchanter as far as I can, instead of just level 20.. so the info is much appreciated.

I'd like to know the strengths, so I can tinker with them and see what I can pull off.

Thanks for all the input so far. =)

Dont know what your reffering to with illusion tricks...... if its just the spell then yes you can use them and it will change your faction in certain cities and occasionally confuse a newbie in pvp... you can use the mesmerize line of spells on other players, thats your main spell line in pvp after tash and dispells. You cannot charm other players....... but charming stuff onto other players is a very good pvp tactic as long as your charm buff on him is buried pretty deep but thats for another day.....

Enchanter is probably best in small group pvp say 3 a side or maybe 4-4. The higher the #'s get, the more likely the enchanter is gonna struggle to get many spells off, or even get mowed down fairly quickly.

MegamanXZOBMV
05-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Ahh, I see. Well, if I plan on using illusions as I did before, then they shouldn't have a target ring on me until I've already begun my assault/disabling.

By ''illusion tricks'', I mean using illusions to get an extra edge over other players. For example (used this example a few times now), back in Kunark/Velious era Live, Tallon Zek, I would take my DE Enchanter into Freeport. Freeport often had Human and Elf-team types roaming about, and I would use Minor Illusion to turn into a cactus. Neat, because it trumps See Invisible and such (at least as far as I'm aware.. no one got the first attack on me while in Cactus form), and it was humorous to nuke passing players and have them look around for the aggressor.

Glad that Mez works, didn't really expect Charm to.. but that would be extremely OP, I imagine.

Prince
05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
CACTUS FORM GO

Knuckle
05-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Ahh, I see. Well, if I plan on using illusions as I did before, then they shouldn't have a target ring on me until I've already begun my assault/disabling.

By ''illusion tricks'', I mean using illusions to get an extra edge over other players. For example (used this example a few times now), back in Kunark/Velious era Live, Tallon Zek, I would take my DE Enchanter into Freeport. Freeport often had Human and Elf-team types roaming about, and I would use Minor Illusion to turn into a cactus. Neat, because it trumps See Invisible and such (at least as far as I'm aware.. no one got the first attack on me while in Cactus form), and it was humorous to nuke passing players and have them look around for the aggressor.

Glad that Mez works, didn't really expect Charm to.. but that would be extremely OP, I imagine.

it will work on people with down syndrome for sure.

Foxx
05-28-2011, 10:43 AM
druids also get treeform, its super effective in pvp for hiding urself

MegamanXZOBMV
05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Illusion: Tree + Gfay would = win.