PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a guild that doesn't use Discord

tycohunden
04-13-2021, 11:42 AM
Heya! Seems like every guild I check are using the horrible and unsafe program Discord to communicate.
Is there any guilds out there who still uses the safer albeit less trendy communication programs such as ventrilo/mumble/Teamspeak?

Thank you!

Baler
04-13-2021, 11:44 AM
back in 2014-2016ish guilds used mumble/teamspeak
everyone hopped on the discord train and ignored it's spyware.

Goodluck :(

Edit: Mumble is the safest option if configured correctly due to it's built in encryption.

feniin
04-13-2021, 11:46 AM
Heya! Seems like every guild I check are using the horrible and unsafe program Discord to communicate.
Is there any guilds out there who still uses the safer albeit less trendy communication programs such as ventrilo/mumble/Teamspeak?

Thank you!

unsafe?

Baler
04-13-2021, 11:48 AM
unsafe?

You can get people's IP address via discord, Yes I know discord likes to tout how everything has to go through their servers. They ignore and shame anyone who says it's not safe.

Plus discord watches the processes on your computer which could potentially be gathering other information.

discord is straight up spyware

tycohunden
04-13-2021, 11:49 AM
unsafe?

You didn't know that? I ain't touching that shit with a ten foot pole!

Baler
04-13-2021, 11:51 AM
You didn't know that? I ain't touching that shit with a ten foot pole!

If you don't want to install discord client. You could use it in a browser but you won't be able to talk yourself. Another option is a third party client such as https://cancel.fm/ripcord/ It's very limited in capability but at least it's not the default discord client.

Don't try to use a vpn with discord, discord will lock your lock account and demand you give them a phone number. Basically hold your account hostage until you give them what they want.

edit: I'll stop posting in your thread, sorry if I de-railed it. Good luck!

tycohunden
04-13-2021, 11:59 AM
If you don't want to install discord client. You could use it in a browser but you won't be able to talk yourself. Another option is a third party client such as https://cancel.fm/ripcord/ It's very limited in capability but at least it's not the default discord client.

Don't try to use a vpn with discord, discord will lock your lock account and demand you give them a phone number. Basically hold your account hostage until you give them what they want.

I want to join a guild that doesn't use botnet apps... Otherwise I can stay guildless.
Seriously fuck discord lol.

bunnyfoofoo
04-13-2021, 06:24 PM
For the true classic experience, let's make a guild and use Roger Wilco as we did back in the day.

feniin
04-13-2021, 07:34 PM
You can get people's IP address via discord, Yes I know discord likes to tout how everything has to go through their servers. They ignore and shame anyone who says it's not safe.

Plus discord watches the processes on your computer which could potentially be gathering other information.

discord is straight up spyware

knowing someone's IP address is not useful information in nearly 100% of scenarios.

tycohunden
04-14-2021, 03:48 AM
So no, all the guilds use discord? All I wanted to know!

Videri
04-14-2021, 08:57 AM
Maybe you should start a guild that doesn't use Discord. You could use one of the other similar programs, or none at all. Maybe some far-simpler solution. Maybe this guild is needed by some percentage of the population of P99.

strongNpretty
04-14-2021, 10:33 AM
I like the idea of a guild who doesn't use any sort of voice communication programs. There is a reason everquest taught me to type 100+ words as a little kid..

littlebobby3
05-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Wait, so discord has my IP? Or you saying people can get my IP from discord? Isn’t that like what almost everything does nowadays? Guess if I don’t have anything to hide then I don’t really need to care? ����

Tunabros
05-15-2021, 06:09 PM
oh no its another boomer to scared to use discord

Arvan
05-17-2021, 04:55 AM
Funny he's too scared to use discord cause its "unsafe" while at the same time plays p99 where the "anti cheat" code knows your ip and all the processes running on your computer + who knows what else