PDA

View Full Version : Necro race choice for plat farming

Lumio
03-23-2021, 02:50 PM
Hey all, this community has been great! I want to first say that I've read loads and loads of threads on this but haven't found this info in any of the threads of guides so I thought I would ask here.

I am new to eq, I have a 21druid at the moment, I don't have much time to play but I want to roll a necro for fun and whats fun for me is plat farming.

What race should I choose, to make the most money, with little play time invested?

Here is where my mind is at and why I need your help tipping the scales so I can make a decision:

Option 1: Iskar
- Pro: Min-maxy, regen, good starting area
- Con: Hard banking/selling life

Option 2: Dark elf
Pro: Access to farming Reaper of the Dead (since I don't play much lvl 20-30 is very doable), somewhat easier time selling/banking

Option 3: Erudit
Pro: Can just stick around Painel and kill guards, very chill

---

Toxigen
03-23-2021, 02:57 PM
if you arent iksar you've made a big mistake

Jimjam
03-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Gnome cos they have least scruples and are greediest.

loramin
03-23-2021, 03:16 PM
Gnome cos they have least scruples and are greediest.

Less than Iksar? :eek:

But seriously OP, the game is designed to let you earn much more plat (per real-life-hour you spend) when you are higher level, so by farming plat at low levels you're working against it. If you don't believe me, just look at the https://wiki.project1999.com/Treasure_Hunting_Guide

That being said, I don't think your racial choice really matters: with 50 plat (less if you tip cheaply) you can get a port anywhere in the world, so starting zones don't matter. I guess I'd either make a Dark Elf, if you're making him purely to do that Thex Mallet quest repeatedly, or else an Iksar, if you just want the best general purpose farmer.

You could do any other race, level faster, have access to more vendors/banks, and have a higher-level/faster-plat-earning necro quicker, so arguably you should pick that ... but if you get this toon to a high level and actually want to play him as more than a farmer ...

if you arent iksar you've made a big mistake

unleashedd
03-23-2021, 03:21 PM
dat iksar regen tho...

i made iksar necro, and farmed so many bonechips in field of bone/kurns tower that now at lvl45, i still have 10 stacks left. banking isnt a problem because of FD. selling isnt a problem because most druid rings have nonKOS merchants, and gypsies are cool too

Baler
03-23-2021, 04:25 PM
The only race choice for necromancer is IKSAR

Pre-kunark - Erudite, Dark Elf, Gnome
Kunark+ - Iksar

DMN
03-23-2021, 04:45 PM
iksar will level 22% slower. You won't really see much return on your exp penalty for quite awhile. I think non-iksar can deal with allure of death without even having to tap hardly.

So the question is how high you plan on leveling the character? i certainly wouldn't bother with iksar if you never plan on going over 50.

dark elf also get s hide which at some camps can be quite useful, though the higher level you get the less likely you will be able to get away with using it for AFKing while you mediate back your mana/wait for respawn. Which again goes back to how high level you plan to go.

You can actually decent plat with the druid quadding so might be best just to stick with that, could also port people and be away from keyboard a lot only popping in occasionally to do a port.

Gozuk
03-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Another con for Iksar Necromancer: Having to look at them

Tunabros
03-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Human

you're going to be looking at your character for a long time farming

so got to look cool

A Knight
03-23-2021, 07:27 PM
If your not making your necro to get super high level, I wouldn't worry about being an iksar. Also, if you don't have time on your hands.

You can level quickly on any other random necro, and that might be quicker to get to the camps you need.

jadier
03-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Regarding banking/selling, once you hit 34 you can Call of Bones, which means you can bank and sell basically anywhere a Dark Elf necromancer can bank and sell.

And since you basically can't make (significant) plat before 34 anyway, the big "con" of Iksar is irrelevant.

Also, with Charm Undead spells, any necro race can trivially enter Paineel. So the "pro" for Erudite is also irrelevant.

tldr; play what you want, they're all basically the same (although Iksar get cool regen)

Lumio
03-23-2021, 11:13 PM
Thank you all! This feedback has been really helpful.

I think I'll go with Dark Elf for now. I don't think I want to lvl this character to max and if I decide to main, I can either reroll around 20 or just suck it up. That way I can farm the Reaper quickly, plus if I want to do Painel I guess I dont have to worry about that!

Baler
03-24-2021, 12:17 AM
you also don't have to worry about looking like an iksar because you can look like a skeleton.

The increased exp requirement won't even be a major factor until higher level and you won't need to re-roll.
The racial regen from iksar will however help you level faster starting from level 1.

I have a 50 erudite necro, I re-rolled iksar day 1 kunark and hit 60 in less than a couple months of casual soloing.
Selling reapers is fine but I wouldn't go much higher in level than what is required to do the quest. Which with some clever gameplay can be done with a lower level alt DE necro.

Snortles Chortles
03-24-2021, 12:37 AM
imagine playing a lizard
(LOL)

Master Roshi
03-24-2021, 12:47 PM
My vote is for Iksar if you're set to farm due to their regen for less downtime and also you wont care about faction at all, You can farm every guard in every city without concern.

Also, banking isnt too hard since you can FD bank. And there are universal vendors around when you need them, and besides if you farm certai zones enough you can get un-KoS in plenty central zones.

Nexii
03-24-2021, 12:50 PM
Just go with whatever you think looks best

Once you get Elder Beads and VP staff the regen doesn't matter

Min/max is probably gnome TBH since you can see through walls without a shrink pot

Though I would go dark elf personally

Toxigen
03-24-2021, 12:59 PM
Once you get Elder Beads and VP staff the regen doesn't matter

Yeah I'm sure once this super casual player farms 800+ Reapers he'll get right on acquiring beads, a VP key, and some DKP.

Snortles Chortles
03-24-2021, 01:04 PM
ahh the classic elf humble brag
(LOL)

magnetaress
03-24-2021, 01:16 PM
Gnome or human for ez vendor access.

BlackBellamy
03-24-2021, 02:14 PM
the choice is iksar of course, this way you can spawn in the field of bone, kill a couple of decaying skeletons so you can buy some earthworm munch and bloodwater and get some chips for a pet, then run down to kaesora which is literally right there, grab the dreaded gaze staff and you can just auction it right in field of bone because it's full of necromancers who don't have that staff

Snortles Chortles
03-24-2021, 02:35 PM
bladder of lizard milks is tite
yeah ez camp
(LOL)