PDA

View Full Version : Considering Rogue, couple of questions.

tadkins
03-21-2021, 04:53 AM
Seems like it could be fun and I like the theme of a character I have in mind (a rugged dwarven treasure hunting Brann Bronzebeard type character). I haven't done a lot of dungeon exploring and I figure a rogue would be a good class to learn the layouts of various places. Just had a few quick questions before I go through with it.

1. Do rogues get a lot in the form of spell clickies. Honestly one of the best feelings is hitting 39 on any form of caster and seeing their spells turn all colorful and pretty. I know rogues don't get spells but do they get any sort of clicky that does the same thing? Particularly something that looks like the Shielding spell line. Silly question I know but I care about this sort of thing. :D

2. How much of the world is closed off to a rogue? Are there a lot of things out there that can see through the sneak/hide combo?

3. Pick Pocket can't be used through stealthing correct? I figure on those slow nights when no groups are available I could sneak through a dungeon by myself just pickpocketing things and make a little spare change; can that be done?

Thanks in advance. :)

Saisu
03-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Limited experience from having a 35 rogue:

1. Rogues (and bards) get illusion masks. The spell visual is the green orbs. You’ll for sure be able to get the Dark Elf illusion from Guk. In Kunark you can get Mrylokar armor clickies which have a few effects. In Velious... uhh Lodizal Shell Boots can cast Turtle Skin. I’m sure there are tons of raid-level clickies, but these would be the most attainable just leveling or doing small groups.

2. From what I’ve seen, it’s rare for a mob to see through sneak/hide. I’ve seen lists of basically 6-7 mob types, and then bosses (dragons/gods/etc). You’ll generally have free reign in most areas to explore (within reason).

3. Possibly - I know I’ve read stories of people pickpocketing Seafuries to great effect pre-nerf. Main thing to know is if you get a critical failure the mob will attack you - and if you’re deep in a dungeon that will be a death sentence for sure.

Shodo
03-21-2021, 11:56 AM
1. Check out the mrylokar gear for level 45: https://wiki.project1999.com/Mrylokar%27s_Armor. No shielding but lots of other clickies and several of the pieces are pretty cheap.

2. Not a lot. Mostly raid bosses. 99% of dungeon content you can explore freely.

3. I don't think so but I could be misremembering. You can, however, pick pocket non kos mobs like friendly guards and then run to a zoneline.

Samoht
03-21-2021, 12:18 PM
3. Pick Pocket can't be used through stealthing correct? I figure on those slow nights when no groups are available I could sneak through a dungeon by myself just pickpocketing things and make a little spare change; can that be done?

Stealth is not a skill in EverQuest. That is a WoW skill. EverQuest has two skills: Sneak & Hide. You can use these together to sneak while hiding. After positioning yourself behind your target, you can click hide off and WHILE STILL SNEAKING use pick pocket.

Samoht
03-21-2021, 12:21 PM
2. How much of the world is closed off to a rogue? Are there a lot of things out there that can see through the sneak/hide combo?

You can sneak pretty much anywhere, albeit rather slowly. NPC AE spells and traps with AE components will knock you out of hide, though, so be weary while sneaking through areas heavy in traps or with enemy casters in combat. Most dragons will still see you through hide, though.

Samoht
03-21-2021, 12:25 PM
1. Do rogues get a lot in the form of spell clickies. Honestly one of the best feelings is hitting 39 on any form of caster and seeing their spells turn all colorful and pretty. I know rogues don't get spells but do they get any sort of clicky that does the same thing? Particularly something that looks like the Shielding spell line. Silly question I know but I care about this sort of thing. :D

Yes, rogues get a lot of clickies, although there's only one item I can think of that will allow a rogue to case a spell from the shielding line, and it's a pretty rare drop off of one of the Velious city leaders. Still, rogues get a lot of clickies including illusions specific to rogues/bards.

tadkins
03-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Appreciate the answers everyone, thank you. :)
In Velious... uhh Lodizal Shell Boots can cast Turtle Skin.
Yep I think Turtle Skin is another armor buff with that same effect. Just what I was looking for, thanks!
I also found this but this seems far tougher to get. I dunno if a guild would even give this to a rogue.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Tri-Plated_Golden_Hackle_Hammer

Stealth is not a skill in EverQuest. That is a WoW skill. EverQuest has two skills: Sneak & Hide. You can use these together to sneak while hiding. After positioning yourself behind your target, you can click hide off and WHILE STILL SNEAKING use pick pocket.

Stealth = Hide/Sneak combo. What I was going for anyway. I apologize, I will just say sneak/hide combo from now on.

spacecadet
03-21-2021, 05:10 PM
I love Mrylokar's Vambraces for the Str clicky and Mrylokar's Boots are super fun for "fade".

GinnasP99
03-21-2021, 05:27 PM
The PoM flowers also look like shielding when you cast them

Toxigen
03-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Would not recommend diving deep into a dungeon pick-pocketing mobs. One wrong step and you're probably dead unless you keep a WC cap on hand. Outdoors w/ jboots and/or near a zone line is a safer bet. Not a bad little side activity while you have /lfg up and are actively searching for an xp group.

Rogues are a great class choice if you're looking for a straightforward (albeit limited) melee class. You will be the best DPS in the game and therefore will always be needed in raids, with one of the 2 easiest epics to acquire.

On the way to 60 you'll just have to always group.

Ravager
03-24-2021, 04:14 AM
As long as you stay out of line of sight, nothing sees sneak.

Gozuk
03-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Don't forget the hidden bonus of lucky dice

Halox
03-24-2021, 09:18 PM
Don't forget the hidden bonus of lucky dice

I wish...

Baler
03-24-2021, 09:26 PM
Just want to add to this thread...

Rogue is the ultimate laid back chill class. You have three responsibilities max and never all at once. DPS, Corpse Drag & lockpicking. You want to AFK, just sneak hide and go do your business. drinking habits? not a problem, get behind the mob and just spam your backstab & evade key

evade macro
/pause 2, /attack off
/pause 2, /doability # (hide)
/attack on

If you're on a raid and the tank just isnt the best, TURN OFF ATTACK for a few seconds. Trust me, letting the tank get agro vs you dieing is day and night. Managing agro because you do so much dps is a pretty awesome feeling.

Snaggles
03-25-2021, 12:01 PM
Yea it’s a fine class when supported by a small team (or raid). Left to it’s lonesome it’s the worst solo class besides maybe a cleric using non-undead nukes. Efficient rogue solo is fighting low level old world blues with great gear. If you have a schedule that allows for grouping then it’s a fantastic and easy to play melee class.

I had a rogue on live. The cloak and dagger game is fun but stressful. Your plan b if something sees through sneak is to cap out, possibly root net, or die and get a loc.

tadkins
03-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate the honesty.

Truth be told I am now considering Ranger as a similar themed but slightly more soloable class. There will be times where it's necessary as I don't have an extensive network of friends, sometimes play at weird hours, and sometimes need to AFK for responsibilites IRL.

Plus I saw how friggin' awesome wood elves look in a set of crystal chitin armor. xD

Keebz
03-26-2021, 01:01 AM
So rangers are fun. But definitely aren't great at dungeon diving. You will be more an outdoor cat than indoor cat. So that's a change from your original concept.

There will be times where it's necessary as I don't have an extensive network of friends, sometimes play at weird hours, and sometimes need to AFK for responsibilites IRL.

If you wanna dungeon dive and need to AFK a lot, SK or Monk might be good as well. Feign Death does wonders for impromptu AFKs, both can get around dungeons reasonably well (advantage SK), and both can solo OK.

tadkins
03-26-2021, 02:21 AM
So rangers are fun. But definitely aren't great at dungeon diving. You will be more an outdoor cat than indoor cat. So that's a change from your original concept.

Ah yeah that is true. I figured sneak + superior camo would help with that.

If you wanna dungeon dive and need to AFK a lot, SK or Monk might be good as well. Feign Death does wonders for impromptu AFKs, both can get around dungeons reasonably well (advantage SK), and both can solo OK.

I tried Monk for a bit and didn't really like the weight micromanagement thing too much. SK does sound interesting though! Hmm...

Prolly the wrong forum but wondering, does this spell for SKs work the same way as the necro skeleton illusion? Like could I pick a neutral race and use it to get into evil cities with it later?
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shroud_of_Undeath
If so I am considering going with an Iksar SK.

Ravager
03-26-2021, 10:03 AM
Monks don't really need to worry about weight so much until higher levels. Between Mend, Dodge and Block the hit to AC doesn't impair you very much on low level mobs. And by the time you get to higher levels, the gear is lighter and weight reduction bags are easy enough to get. That said, all you really need for 50 levels is a Wu's Quivering Staff.

Snaggles
03-27-2021, 06:39 AM
I’d definitely consider a SK as a casual player. You get the fun and fashion, a very easy semi-epic (Greenmist). Arguably with the change/elimination of bind wound during combat normally geared monks have lost a bit of the solo edge. Ie you have to pick spots and maybe bum buffs to be just as efficient.

Give a sk (or any hybrid) a one or two 6 min spawn and they likely can keep it down efficiently. Good for those pick up and drop game sessions. Rangers with marginal gear gas out in the low 50’s due to running short on easy animal fear options. You’re going to prob want to save the fine steel for a tolan bracer and an exquisite bow and write a formal apology to your index finger.

Ghost of Starman
03-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Snaggles advice is very good, do not roll a Ranger expecting decent soloing unless you can afford a Fungi, a good 2Her, and good haste, and thats just to take you around 50-55.

To push from 55-60 with a good speed you really need epics and sky haste cloak. With those tools and the proper spot I was getting XP 55-60 faster than my friend in the good Hole groups.

tadkins
03-28-2021, 10:14 PM
I’d definitely consider a SK as a casual player. You get the fun and fashion, a very easy semi-epic (Greenmist). Arguably with the change/elimination of bind wound during combat normally geared monks have lost a bit of the solo edge. Ie you have to pick spots and maybe bum buffs to be just as efficient.

I am strongly considering SK atm. Not sure what race it will be though since I'm finding reasons to like just about all of them. xD

tadkins
03-28-2021, 10:17 PM
Snaggles advice is very good, do not roll a Ranger expecting decent soloing unless you can afford a Fungi, a good 2Her, and good haste, and thats just to take you around 50-55.

To push from 55-60 with a good speed you really need epics and sky haste cloak. With those tools and the proper spot I was getting XP 55-60 faster than my friend in the good Hole groups.

Tbh the only reason Ranger appealed to me was because of how cool the wood elf appearance is for velious plate and I was going to aim for a full set of crystal chitin. Realized I could just do that with a druid too so might roll that instead at some point.

Tnair
03-31-2021, 03:49 PM
I had a rogue on live. The cloak and dagger game is fun but stressful. Your plan b if something sees through sneak is to cap out, possibly root net, or die and get a loc.

I remember a lot of terror on live as a rogue, having to con everything because there was always a tiny chance your Hide would be seen through. It's not failed me once in 53 levels on Blue, making Lower Guk a much less exciting, and less frustrating, place.

Snaggles
03-31-2021, 07:25 PM
I remember a lot of terror on live as a rogue, having to con everything because there was always a tiny chance your Hide would be seen through. It's not failed me once in 53 levels on Blue, making Lower Guk a much less exciting, and less frustrating, place.

That’s great to know :) ! Might just make a rogue if sneak is what was promised, lol.

Tnair
04-02-2021, 01:39 PM
That’s great to know :) ! Might just make a rogue if sneak is what was promised, lol.

The real Rogue special ability is to be able to go AFK immediately, safely, almost anywhere.

EDIT: This ends up being surprisingly important for my ability to play an online game while married...

Ravager
04-02-2021, 10:08 PM
The real Rogue special ability is to be able to go AFK immediately, safely, almost anywhere.

EDIT: This ends up being surprisingly important for my ability to play an online game while married...

Definitely a perk of the class, except, Monk does it better.

Gozuk
04-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Definitely a perk of the class, except, Monk does it better.

Maybe. A Monk can drop agro and AFK which is something Rogues cannot do. Depending on where they are though, a Monk may not be able to make it out after where a Rogue can.

greenspectre
04-05-2021, 02:27 AM
Maybe. A Monk can drop agro and AFK which is something Rogues cannot do. Depending on where they are though, a Monk may not be able to make it out after where a Rogue can.

And an SK with a CoS is the best of both worlds!

tadkins
04-05-2021, 04:08 AM
And an SK with a CoS is the best of both worlds!

Add a necro on top of that and you've got the best of all those worlds plus top notch soloability. xD

Feel kinda awkward over this thread now because in the end I ultimately just decided to go with an iksar necromancer, haha.

Croco
04-05-2021, 04:29 AM

There's no where you can go on a monk that you can't make it out. Any monk worth his salt always has 4 ways to gate on him at all times. Thurg gate potion, WC cap, OT hammer, and CT gate potion.

Gozuk
04-05-2021, 11:33 AM
There's no where you can go on a monk that you can't make it out. Any monk worth his salt always has 4 ways to gate on him at all times. Thurg gate potion, WC cap, OT hammer, and CT gate potion.

Most level 60 Monks yes but don't forget there's an entire game before that

RecondoJoe
04-10-2021, 05:33 PM
You have to be relatively high level to do this, but I remember pick pocketing raid mobs in Plane of Growth and getting INSANELY rich. This was on Live, and I was KOS, but I started to realize if I hadn't ruined my faction that I could have gone there as a non KOS rogue and pick pocketed everything, and had a Cleric rez me when I inevitably got aggro and died, split the profit 2-ways.... in fact I actually did hear of Rogue/Clerics doing this on other servers at the time..

I feel like this might already be a thing on Blue..?

Cecily
04-12-2021, 12:41 PM
I've heard about that on live. They never got pickpocketing right here. I whined to get Hill Giants flagged able to be stolen from and I think others then had to get the coin pools working correctly.

Afaik the solution here was humanoids + certain exceptions. That's far too narrow a scope, but hey I got to swipe some plat as I was leveling up... My alt rogue.

Back on illa's beastiary there was a creature type "monster." Nilbog told me that flag didn't exist and stopped listening at that point. I don't know what programmer nerds see. Anyways, I'd guess "monster" meant anything not humanoid or any other special flag (animal/summoned/undead). You couldn't steal from those special categories.

Bugs in Seb you could pinch diamonds from.. absolutely should have been allowed and not patched out. Should be able to steal from a bunch of things in Hate... Yeah whatever it's Everquest.

RecondoJoe
04-12-2021, 05:14 PM
I've heard about that on live. They never got pickpocketing right here. I whined to get Hill Giants flagged able to be stolen from and I think others then had to get the coin pools working correctly.

Afaik the solution here was humanoids + certain exceptions. That's far too narrow a scope, but hey I got to swipe some plat as I was leveling up... My alt rogue.

Back on illa's beastiary there was a creature type "monster." Nilbog told me that flag didn't exist and stopped listening at that point. I don't know what programmer nerds see. Anyways, I'd guess "monster" meant anything not humanoid or any other special flag (animal/summoned/undead). You couldn't steal from those special categories.

Bugs in Seb you could pinch diamonds from.. absolutely should have been allowed and not patched out. Should be able to steal from a bunch of things in Hate... Yeah whatever it's Everquest.I noticed that mobs announce when they are being pick pocketed way more frequently on P99 too.. like I mained a Rogue and I remember it being super seldom that any mob would ever announce I was robbing em. On P99 I really think they got like every mob in the game broadcasting every time you press pick pocket. Was NOT like that back in the day, hehe.

Snaggles
04-12-2021, 05:37 PM
Add a necro on top of that and you've got the best of all those worlds plus top notch soloability. xD

Feel kinda awkward over this thread now because in the end I ultimately just decided to go with an iksar necromancer, haha.

It's been a good discussion and by far not one of the most award ones (even this week!).

Glad you are having fun. Try a rogue or melee sometime once you get bored. Necro's are great farmers. Playing an undergeared melee solo is horrible.