PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here still play or played the original DOTA?

Tunabros
03-03-2021, 11:56 PM
I just got into it and I think it has a lot of character!

By original DOTA, I mean the one from warcraft 3

Here's a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/vMowhKQ.jpg

Essentially it's considered the "grandfather" of all MOBAS

If you didn't know what a MOBA is, its essentially a game of where 5 heroes battle

another 5 heroes in order to destroy the opposing team's base (ex: League of Legends,

Heroes of Newerth)

So far I've been playing against bots. I tried playing on Iccup but I got my ass handed

to me

I think its a very fun game! Anyone still plays it or played it before? =)

Snortles Chortles
03-04-2021, 12:12 AM
you will never walk into a korean LAN gaming cafe in flushing, queens with your IRL friends to play pick up DoTA for hours eating poki and mountain dew code red
rip

Jibartik
03-04-2021, 12:18 AM
Damn I forgot about those graphics

Tunabros
03-04-2021, 12:27 AM
Damn I forgot about those graphics

I like them a lot despite it looking like playdough

Tentarro
03-04-2021, 01:37 AM
I tried playing on WC3 reforged since I play a shit ton of Dota 2 but I cba to figure out how to switch the keybinds to what I'm used to. Was nice playing without the fucking talents and other dumb shit though, also the shop, whew.

Nocht
03-04-2021, 01:44 AM
Warcraft 3 graphics had a distinct charm to them.

Snortles Chortles
03-04-2021, 01:58 AM
art

FatherSioux
03-04-2021, 02:03 AM
Hell yeah I played, great game.

Tunabros
03-04-2021, 02:03 AM
looks like lulz had fun with it =)

maybe he can teach me

Lune
03-04-2021, 02:30 AM
Original DOTA on WC3 was the only MOBA I played. Also played a fuckton of the WC3 customs back in high school... tower defense, rival nations, Risk, Helm's Deep, so much fun shit. First year of college we had a blast LANing DOTA up in the dorms.

I was an AP shitter, loved stealth assassin and dominated with him.

The MOBA community at the time was bad, but it was a mere shadow of what it would eventually become. Way too cancer for me.

imperiouskitten
03-04-2021, 03:49 AM
Also played a fuckton of the WC3 customs back in high school... tower defense, rival nations, Risk, Helm's Deep, so much fun shit.

footmen frenzy too.

WC3 was the last time the future of gaming looked rly bright and collaborative. picking through all those many, many custom games was right up there with HL modding for me; integrating all the ability to pull those excellent games off in the map maker with WC3 assets was to me the pinnacle of closed system gaming. I still install wc3 and play TDs now and then. I have a hard time understanding why all that went away. I think the noses in the accounting department look at exponentially rising gaming revenues and presume they are doing it brilliantly, when it's really just the base expanding. I hope ppl don't forget the glorious past if we ever get a gaming crunch again and these losers have to actually compete for dollars 1nce again instead of recapitulating by rote.

magnetaress
03-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Yeah. Games are mostly cookie cutters by genre now.

The reason original games reached their full potential was because they were simulations that had to abstract to overcome limitations.

Full on hyperreal simulations, and fully abstract dopa stimulators. Well.

I would rather just go walk down to the farmers market and back then make myself a nice vegan soup in a futuristic cityscape without cars or pollution full of diverse life.

Games that push dopa to hard lose their appeal quickly because people just become satiated. Not jonesen for that next hit. After an hours punishment.

Snortles Chortles
03-04-2021, 10:13 AM
12vh55_1ul8

Swish
03-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Almost as good as League of Legends

Snortles Chortles
03-04-2021, 10:22 AM
league of flame agates

GinnasP99
03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
I was more of a tower defense guy. There was also a really cool everquest RPG map.

booter
03-04-2021, 01:35 PM
yea I played original WC3 dota and now I play a lot of dota 2... pretty much the only thing I play

Jibartik
03-04-2021, 01:41 PM
God damn basshunter

I miss vent p99 raiding should require intalling it.

I remember watching that video being like, wtf girls just hanging out while they game? thats so fake.

Now that video basically is everyone cool or a millionaire on the internet, wow.

Jibartik
03-04-2021, 01:51 PM
I was more of a tower defense guy. There was also a really cool everquest RPG map.

I just had a flash in my minds eye of a project I wish would happen.

Remake Dune II, but with everquest lore.

Like, if someone could master the Dune II art style, then redraw everquest characters, and make a Dune II quality RTS that takes place in areas like EC, GUK, etc.

Oh dear god.

I think this project needs to begin soon.

https://i.imgur.com/OYEKcht.png

loramin
03-04-2021, 02:09 PM

Yeah, the Warcraft 3 tower defenses were great. I especially loved the line tower ones, where you summoned creeps on your opponent as you built your defense.

But I did like DotA too, and also EotA, which was sort of like a wackier/crazier DotA.

Tentarro
03-04-2021, 02:10 PM
12vh55_1ul8

Pretty sure this guy plays Mortal Online now

Lune
03-04-2021, 02:49 PM
12vh55_1ul8

lmao I had a roommate in college that basically played this and Every Time We Touch on repeat for weeks straight. Dude also kept a spray bottle full of melted/clarified butter at his desk and periodically spritzed his mouth and his food.

Disgusting human being but a hell of a DOTA teammate and arena partner and also basically a genius. Wonder whatever happened to him.

booter
03-05-2021, 01:49 AM

wow is this the one that had Trakanon as the final boss? if so, my friend and I created that custom map :o

there were probably a few others but I remember ours did get pretty popular as far as RPG maps went

Swish
03-05-2021, 04:19 AM
I just had a flash in my minds eye of a project I wish would happen.

Remake Dune II, but with everquest lore.

Like, if someone could master the Dune II art style, then redraw everquest characters, and make a Dune II quality RTS that takes place in areas like EC, GUK, etc.

Oh dear god.

I think this project needs to begin soon.

https://i.imgur.com/OYEKcht.png

Elves led by Firiona Vie

Humans led by Lucan D`Lere(?)

...toss up between dark elves and evils or iksar for the third "house" :)

I'd love to say I have the talent to do it but I don't - would 100% play though, loved Dune 2.

Tunabros
03-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Yeah, the Warcraft 3 tower defenses were great. I especially loved the line tower ones, where you summoned creeps on your opponent as you built your defense.

But I did like DotA too, and also EotA, which was sort of like a wackier/crazier DotA.

just tried out EoTA yesterday with bots and goddamn was it a war

Snortles Chortles
03-05-2021, 03:19 PM
You missed out youngin

Tunabros
03-05-2021, 03:22 PM
You missed out youngin

i was too busy fucking around on the wii during that time XD