PDA

View Full Version : Any MMOs worth playing now a days??

Tunabros
02-24-2021, 02:54 AM
Just checked the current state of MMOS:

WoW: Classic sounds fun but live is wack

ESO: fun game but combat is weird

OSRS: Fun but very grindy

FF15: It's alright (still play it)

Every other MMO is either dead or filled with bots

Is the MMO genre dying???

Hopefully, pantheon or the new DAOC will revive it

what do you guys think

Computer Man
02-24-2021, 03:25 AM
WoW classic has been good but if you're starting soon then wait for the TBC servers to launch.

GinnasP99
02-24-2021, 05:02 AM
BDO was kinda fun. Tho it is super grindy and pay to win.

Mblake81
02-24-2021, 06:17 AM

Since 2002, but for sure when WoW took over the market for a decade. Activity before it, not so much after. Your thread is a reminder this hasn't fully dawned on some people yet.

Nexii
02-24-2021, 08:44 AM
TBC / Wrath are much better than classic WoW. After Wrath it's all downhill

magnetaress
02-24-2021, 08:49 AM
Pandaria is alright. So was BfA. Lady Azhsara legit.

Gravydoo II
02-24-2021, 10:47 AM
All we got is "upcoming" and "promises" to play. Valheim is 20 bucks, multiplayer. tons of viking fun

Snortles Chortles
02-24-2021, 10:55 AM
No

zodium
02-24-2021, 11:09 AM
No

Jibartik
02-24-2021, 12:20 PM
I am loving Valheim! I built this treehouse!

It starts as a survival game but its like, as close to wow as anyone of them have ever gotten.

I am just in my underpants climbing this tree, building this gigantic castaway swiss family Robinson house before I go out and hunt any monsters.

https://i.imgur.com/7Ur7fpQ.png

Knuckle
02-24-2021, 12:24 PM
Just checked the current state of MMOS:

WoW: Classic sounds fun but live is wack

ESO: fun game but combat is weird

OSRS: Fun but very grindy

FF15: It's alright (still play it)

Every other MMO is either dead or filled with bots

Hopefully, pantheon or the new DAOC will revive it

what do you guys think

I had fun playing FF14 but fashion rewards dont do it for me.

Classic WoW is great if you want to try a new approach, WoW Classic Hardcore is a pretty tight knit community of players doing the HC challenge, rules are:

1.) Death = Delete Toon
2.) No Auction House
3.) No Trading with other toons.
4.) One Dungeon Attempt Per Dungeon, with other HC Toons.
5.) No grouping outside the dungeon above.
6.) Stream/record entire playthrough(if you somehow make it to 60).

It sounds miserable, but what it actually did for me was make me truly appreciate what WoW was trying to accomplish with trade skills, professions, and item progression. Getting Green upgrades for slots feels huge, sometimes youll grind areas safely EQ Style to do some safe progression, your awareness in every single area you level sky rockets. Suddenly you become painfully aware of where overpowered elites might appear in lower level areas after you delete a few level 20 toons.....

Close calls and high risk successes become legendary, dungeons are truly adrenaline pumping, and there is a lot of respect and trust between the HC players.

Anyway I think after i get more free time gonna give it another go on orc rogue.

kjs86zskidoo
02-24-2021, 12:39 PM
rip Asherons Call

Cecily
02-24-2021, 01:17 PM

It starts as a survival game but its like, as close to wow as anyone of them have ever gotten.

I am just in my underpants climbing this tree, building this gigantic castaway swiss family Robinson house before I go out and hunt any monsters.

I can't believe that game is $20. Looks fun as hell, can't play it. Probably gonna buy it. Probably gonna play it. Can't play it. Really, really should not play it. I remember Kenshi stole 30 hours of my life in the first few days I had it, and I need to put that towards learning hematology and benzodiazepenes.

What type of hours have you been dropping in it?

-TK-
02-24-2021, 01:51 PM
I check every once and a while for new MMO's, but haven't found anything that has really grabbed me like EQ and FFXI. FFXI got me to stick around because it had an EQ feel and level of difficulty at the start. Making your first run to Jeuno to get that choco license through the Highlands and getting your Taru smashed by a tremor ram along the way was the feels.

It seems like the MMO genre has shifted almost entirely to survival and FPS games and there's less interest in the deep RPG side of multiplayer games. I'm pretty burnt out on the survival stuff because it's mostly just reskins of the last popular survival game. Holding out some hope for Pantheon to pull us back to our MMORPG roots at least a little, but I wouldn't make any bets on it.

Jibartik
02-24-2021, 02:04 PM
I can't believe that game is $20. Looks fun as hell, can't play it. Probably gonna buy it. Probably gonna play it. Can't play it. Really, really should not play it. I remember Kenshi stole 30 hours of my life in the first few days I had it, and I need to put that towards learning hematology and benzodiazepenes.

I got it cus my D&D group had one missing, so we were like, lets try a new game! We hopped in and most of us havent hopped out except for work lol

it was super easy to setup, we got a server for the 10 of us (the game is setup not so much as an MMO but as shards that you can bounce between and play in your friends worlds etc.)

You can build an entire town, by hand, and its FUN to do it! Its the most fun Ive had in a builder type game.

Right now I have spent really 2 and a half nights building that treehouse, just running to the woods, chopping down trees, running back to my house and building!

I keep hearing my friends talk about bows and arrows and magical spells, skeletons, trolls, dungeons and stuff, but I just spent my last 2 nights building that bad boi dressed like I was tom hanks in castaway haha

Lune
02-24-2021, 03:12 PM

Yea don't do it if you can't get sucked in, it has consumed the last 100 hours of my life

Cecily
02-24-2021, 03:17 PM
ty

Gravydoo II
02-24-2021, 03:23 PM
Yea don't do it if you can't get sucked in, it has consumed the last 100 hours of my life

Same. Im only at bonemass. No rush. Its fun to fook aboot.

Jibartik
02-24-2021, 03:23 PM

pics please! :D

imperiouskitten
02-24-2021, 05:22 PM

woah

Lune
02-24-2021, 06:14 PM
pics please! :D

I've got bases all over but I'll take some pics of my main one. I haven't really worked on it since I first built it probably 80 hours ago and have since been all over the world, only coming back to refine resources and craft.

Bridge that I built so I could drive my cart across a ravine and up a mountain pass to mine silver:

https://i.imgur.com/AhDZPQc.jpg

Exterior:

https://i.imgur.com/ELI8dNM.jpg

Interior:

https://i.imgur.com/q945Yq5.jpg

Docks:

https://i.imgur.com/ixBztQ8.jpg

Gate: Digging a trench moat and then lining the wall with spikes works really well against everything but the occasional troll which is capable of beating down the gate if given enough time. I've had every kind of attack spawn at my base and the walls have never been breached. Trolls have come close.

https://i.imgur.com/dce9yz7.jpg

Fort I built on another continent as a safehouse. It used to have an archery platform where those beams are but it got smacked to pieces by a troll wielding a log lol, back when I couldn't just melee trolls to death

https://i.imgur.com/umplkE1.jpg

Lune
02-24-2021, 06:30 PM
Same. Im only at bonemass. No rush. Its fun to fook aboot.

ya I refuse to kill the 5th boss at this point because I don't want Fulings spawning all over my world, maybe I'll make another world for it.

Tunabros
02-24-2021, 06:51 PM
whoa

ok im sold

that looks like fun!

A Knight
02-24-2021, 09:13 PM
No

this and,

Shadowbane is not that bad. Could use huge improvement. But its fun enough as is. Its just fun to mess around with. Its about a strong 6.5 as far as not great games go.

On a scale to EQ it would be about a 1 or maybe 1.5 but could easily become a 4 or 5 with more added to it. Hopefully they will make a Shadowbane 2.

Jibartik
02-24-2021, 09:26 PM
Haha so rad!

yeah the coolest thing ive seen with this game is that people are like, turning the empty areas into like, WoW towns... I can see a MMO here where the whole world is built by players, seems crazy but its believable to me now!

imperiouskitten
02-24-2021, 11:57 PM
ok i bought this gam for me n master, even killed a few boar and survived 2 nights!

it's quite nice feeling, rly good handling on inputs. I like the engine and optimization. My first realtime game i have played since my hands borked like 4 yrs ago now. feels good.

Bardp1999
02-25-2021, 12:49 AM
This Valheim game sounds kind of like Subnautica but its more fighting oriented? Is that an accurate description?

Snortles Chortles
02-25-2021, 01:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Htcp2IP.png

Bardp1999
02-25-2021, 01:29 AM
Oh look its my personal fan boy - eat shit dog man

Cecily
02-25-2021, 01:44 AM
http://imgur.com/FuaJfxs.jpg

axisofebola
02-25-2021, 03:39 AM
looks like ark survival evolved but without the cool whole taming dinosaurs thing.

arsenalpow
02-25-2021, 09:20 AM
TBC drops for WoW Classic in a few months, and they announced a boost service. For some fee (TBD) you get a level 58 character (blood elves and dranei excluded) so you can catch up to your pals that are already playing.

Snortles Chortles
02-25-2021, 09:22 AM
classic indeed
(LOL)

imperiouskitten
02-26-2021, 06:48 AM
this valheim thingy finally established strong dopa loops this evening, i had to pull juris off by force! it's nice, we livin on a dirt floor making bronze. the lighting in the game is incredible, makes the whole thing.

Gravydoo II
02-26-2021, 11:21 AM
its got some special sauce, i dont understand.

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 01:13 PM
I got it cus my D&D group had one missing, so we were like, lets try a new game! We hopped in and most of us havent hopped out except for work lol

it was super easy to setup, we got a server for the 10 of us (the game is setup not so much as an MMO but as shards that you can bounce between and play in your friends worlds etc.)

You can build an entire town, by hand, and its FUN to do it! Its the most fun Ive had in a builder type game.

Right now I have spent really 2 and a half nights building that treehouse, just running to the woods, chopping down trees, running back to my house and building!

I keep hearing my friends talk about bows and arrows and magical spells, skeletons, trolls, dungeons and stuff, but I just spent my last 2 nights building that bad boi dressed like I was tom hanks in castaway haha

that sounds really fun, mind if i join your server? Wouldn't mind playing a game like this in a fellow forum posters server.

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 01:14 PM
TBC drops for WoW Classic in a few months, and they announced a boost service. For some fee (TBD) you get a level 58 character (blood elves and dranei excluded) so you can catch up to your pals that are already playing.

honestly that kinda nail in the coffin'd it for me, those greedy fucks cannot help themselves, goes against everything classic wow and tbc was. dont think boosts even existed until cata. I kinda understand better the retards screaming "NO CHANGE" better now, because that slope is slippery with dollars now.

Snortles Chortles
02-26-2021, 01:33 PM
time 2 sell planar protector forum boost accts

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 02:13 PM
time 2 sell planar protector forum boost accts

I'm not even sure what this title is supposed to mean, don't we actually rape and pillage the planes for pixels, the only example of planar protectors was the bugged cazic thule diety characters in plane of fear on VZTZ.

kjs86zskidoo
02-26-2021, 02:23 PM
https://youtu.be/4nlvYb-snt0?t=45

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 02:30 PM
https://youtu.be/4nlvYb-snt0?t=45

edgy rap music to mmo pvp, its so much more cringe as you get older.

imperiouskitten
02-26-2021, 05:15 PM

i think you mean AWESOME

i rly like the building system in valheim, it has a structural integrity feature so you can't build minecraft levitating houses and have to put in supports. it's super kool

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 06:00 PM
i think you mean AWESOME

i rly like the building system in valheim, it has a structural integrity feature so you can't build minecraft levitating houses and have to put in supports. it's super kool

Yeah I am definitely going to buy it as soon as im done with some RL projects...I remember what happened when I bought crusader kings 3..... 60 hrs in 10 days.

Jibartik
02-26-2021, 06:46 PM

Haha unless everything from persona to people to players to pixels is what you love about classic MMO gaming and you just lean into it hella hard.

I love how there are even new players who like, make these late 90s pvp videos, who weren't even alive in the 90s, just because they play on sicko emu servers haha

Like these videos are as classic and nostalgic to me as killing decayed skellies

Knuckle
02-26-2021, 10:50 PM
Haha unless everything from persona to people to players to pixels is what you love about classic MMO gaming and you just lean into it hella hard.

I love how there are even new players who like, make these late 90s pvp videos, who weren't even alive in the 90s, just because they play on sicko emu servers haha

Like these videos are as classic and nostalgic to me as killing decayed skellies

I actually like some rap from the past, don't listen to much anymore but can appreciate it; just doesn't mix right with EQ.

imperiouskitten
02-26-2021, 11:27 PM
EQ was coded to rap (trust me), it's made for rap

Snortles Chortles
02-26-2021, 11:48 PM
I actually like some rap from the past, don't listen to much anymore but can appreciate it; just doesn't mix right with EQ.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/503686680

Knuckle
02-27-2021, 10:51 AM
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/503686680

that's the kind of rap i can get behind, chill grinding while lit. Trying to make it like your a gangster in a pvp video is when it gets cringe.

Xer0
02-27-2021, 11:06 AM

how well does it run though? I've been burned so many times by these sortrs of games. They're really my favoirite genre of game though.

Bardp1999
02-27-2021, 09:29 PM
I picked up Valheim today - just killed the first Forsaken and am leaving the meadows to hit the Black Forest. Pretty entertaining so far and only $20 - think its worth it for sure

Jibartik
02-27-2021, 10:18 PM
how well does it run though? I've been burned so many times by these sortrs of games. They're really my favoirite genre of game though.

runs great on my computer! I dont have a beast, it was a beast 5 years ago

But now it's old and the game runs fine

Also as far as these games go that I've played, this one seems like the most complete!

imperiouskitten
02-28-2021, 02:01 AM

it's hard to say for sure, cuz my pc is beefy, but -- it FEELS like it's optimized very well, particularly as compared to say, any of the other survival games I've tried (Ark, that medieval clone, etc).

we finally got a Longship and it's aewsome. The way they did sailing is great.

Xer0
03-01-2021, 06:00 AM
it's hard to say for sure, cuz my pc is beefy, but -- it FEELS like it's optimized very well, particularly as compared to say, any of the other survival games I've tried (Ark, that medieval clone, etc).

we finally got a Longship and it's aewsome. The way they did sailing is great.

I suppose I should have been more precise. Does it FEEL like a finished game? Anyone that's played ark, rust, 7 days, or conan exiles knows what im talking about. Core components of gameplay that are broken or gimpy causing the game to feel like it's unfinished? Much of that going on?

Jibartik
03-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Ive played all of thos games, this is the most complete version of those games ive ever played.

it's by no means world of warcraft quality, some of the animations look like they sourced them all from the iksar 1h 2hslash animation team, and there are some odd art choices, but other than that, its solid!

It's as close as I'd get to saying we finally have a "complete" survival game.

The dungons and raid bosses are fun too! I only scratched the surface of it, but my D&D bros that are playing with me are building quarries, raiding and doing all this cool stuff, while I just cling to the treetops building my swiss family robinson mega tree castle.

imperiouskitten
03-02-2021, 02:23 AM
some of the animations look like they sourced them all from the iksar 1h 2hslash animation team, and there are some odd art choices, but other than that, its solid!

speaking of which, verbiage "corpse run" appears ingame and the drakes look a lot like velious. Feels like an EQ player's game.

I think the art is awesome, i got my wolfskin cloak and it is SO COOL

Tentarro
03-02-2021, 11:20 AM
So was BfA. Lady Azhsara legit.

Wrong, opinion invalidated.

Jibartik
03-02-2021, 11:27 AM
speaking of which, verbiage "corpse run" appears ingame and the drakes look a lot like velious. Feels like an EQ player's game.

For sure! I was raging at the game and I was like "these are the thing I like about EQ so FINE.. but god dammit im just trying to chop down a tree and all im doing is corpse runs!"

thats classic!

Snortles Chortles
03-02-2021, 11:51 AM
https://i.imgur.com/I0hs0QP.jpg

GinnasP99
03-08-2021, 06:29 AM
Outside is dope. Can't wait for the Spring expansion to fully release.

Tunabros
03-08-2021, 12:12 PM

full pvp?? 0-o

bomaroast
03-08-2021, 01:29 PM
I beg to differ regarding the 'no monthly fee.'

imperiouskitten
03-15-2021, 11:40 PM
been totally hooked on valheim. worked my hands back into numbness which takes some doing now. The game is so good, I love the sailing, I love that your scent gets carried downwind and alerts the deer. I love the way the carts work and follow you, it's smoother and more perfect than I could have ever imagined. I love the engine, which is amazingly stable and lagless, and the beautiful lighting, and the way your character can with skill vault and whiz up sheer surfaces reminiscent of bunnyhopping movement in old games rather than being hobbled and slow. Me & Juris rerolled before finishing the content, just to edge a little harder with teh game before it's fully consumed.

It's the best game since Terraria, (with strong Terraria influences obviously, minecraft ofc, and ALSO with actual EQ influences; the drakes looks and sound effects are clearly Velious refs and there are other similar things like heavy death penalty, "Corpse Runs", etc., it's the only game I've seen openly reference EQ since WoW) and it's better than Terraria I'd say, or it will be with more content anyway. So it's the best game since the golden age IMO. It's what I always wanted. I am just so wet for it.

Kaveh
03-16-2021, 04:14 PM

Hahaha “fully PVP”

Snortles Chortles
03-16-2021, 04:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zvTSYeB.jpg

imperiouskitten
03-16-2021, 06:06 PM
two smashing posts from two really excellent posters

Jibartik
03-16-2021, 06:14 PM
That outside game has way to aggressive mods and the community is super toxic and pay to win for beta normals. I been playing a clone of it called inside. Its more chill and is free to play.

imperiouskitten
03-16-2021, 06:17 PM
bro have u seen the syrian civil war biome? i have heard you can literally eat the flesh of ur slain enemies and the mods are chill. Can join from any country just like the spanish civil war event in rl classic. u just gotta leave high sec space

Kaveh
03-16-2021, 08:55 PM
Lulz is funny, gotta laugh. Also

https://youtu.be/xgNq5RCCvn8

Cecily
03-16-2021, 09:09 PM
That's a great interview. "And everybody knew I will wash up, but with God, I'm not washed up." If you have you to pick a pulpit to preach on... can't think of a better one.

Kaveh
03-16-2021, 10:06 PM
It’s certainly an American classic, for better and for worse

imperiouskitten
03-17-2021, 01:13 AM
Boxing was so good. RIP

ruzzil
03-17-2021, 08:35 AM
I have a dedicated valhiem server with a small population of regulars if anyone is interested... pretty new map just on swamp biome pm me if interested

magnetaress
03-17-2021, 08:44 AM
That's a great interview. "And everybody knew I will wash up, but with God, I'm not washed up." If you have you to pick a pulpit to preach on... can't think of a better one.

magnetaress
03-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Minecraft with mods vs valhiem.

Like why would I buy valhiem. I love exploration. Is there actually a lot to explore in Valhiem or just a lot of reskinnend plant meshes? And retextured stuff?

Looking for that planescape sandbox creative mmo were I can build portals to the Towering brass city and the plane of water and create a secret little paradise base buried deep inside pandemonium... wow, this could motivate me to get into modding...

Should I mod minecraft or valhiem or make a Unity engine kickstarter../patreon.

I'm not super into random or procedural generation. A mix of procedural generation and hard-coded areas with backstory is cool though.

I want to do this all in VR probably too. But I am very stupid unfortunately I failed every coding project I ever did except hacking a qmail script with copy pasting and changing variable names.

Any coders want a fake girlfriend who loves Jesus and has great taste and is really interested in level design with a fat disability check and ME/CFS?

This is your chance, taking serious offers only.

Knuckle
03-17-2021, 09:36 AM
I have a dedicated valhiem server with a small population of regulars if anyone is interested... pretty new map just on swamp biome pm me if interested

PM sent!

Knuckle
03-17-2021, 09:37 AM
Boxing was so good. RIP

I remember my Grandma getting the PPV for a Tyson fight, forgot what it cost in early 90s but I'm sure at least $50, and that fight was over in under a minute. lol. Tyson is so enjoyable to watch in his prime before his coach passed and Don King stepped in.