PDA

View Full Version : Mage aggro kiting?

tg822
02-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Is this possible? I’m thinking it would be great with the water pets. Do we get any spells that generate enough aggro to allow for aggro kiting? Can’t think of any (malo line doesn’t seem to peel much aggro off of pets).

Toothed
02-02-2021, 01:24 PM
Never seen this done but I don't play a mage

Sabin76
02-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Spells? No. But, as pointed out in the Ice Burrower thread, pet hate is transferred to the mage on pet death, so it gets really hard for your pet to peel off of you after a couple have gone down.

Oft
02-02-2021, 07:19 PM
Spells? No. But, as pointed out in the Ice Burrower thread, pet hate is transferred to the mage on pet death, so it gets really hard for your pet to peel off of you after a couple have gone down.

Was this change made specifically for Green? There's a video out there of 3 people (2 mages / 1 necro) killing Phinny on P99 by chain summoning pets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGyAuCJIvo Phinny never summoned any of them, but when I attempted a similar strategy on Green, I was summoned to Phinny after my pet died (even while other pets were still engaging him).

tg822
02-02-2021, 07:46 PM
It’s definitely new. I killed phinny with one other mage a couple years ago and we just chain summoned the 49 earth pet

Oft
02-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Damn. Well, to any enterprising magicians who chance upon this thread, Phinny is definitely doable with a small group. Have a pet or a player w/ worn EB tank it. Just keep the tank alive and it's simple (assuming you have COTH to deal with the seahorses). If your group is good, the hardest part will be getting the engage. GL

On topic: The only spell I could see working for this is Scars of Sigil because of its short cast time. You would have to dump a lot of mana to keep aggro from the 60 pet (especially if it's focused). You could give a snare weapon to the pet, but that's a bit too much RNG when the entire strategy revolves around you being able to keep aggro. It's a shame there's a cap on threat generated by the first hit...otherwise pulling with SFoS would be pretty powerful. Also, a final wet blanket: if aggro kiting were a viable strat, I'm sure you'd see more mages doing it.

Botten
02-03-2021, 04:26 AM
Necros pet agro kite now (thou not very effective compared to other necros strategies). But i don’t see if the mob is snared and the mage has sow that this can’t be done.