PDA

View Full Version : ENC class noob farming +CHA items

HanzzYolo
01-30-2021, 07:52 AM
Hi everyone - Im a level 5 enchanter... Im seeing people suggest 255 CHA and im not sure where to even start. That seems pretty high, so Id like to start soon on this.

What are some soloable +CHA items I can start going for soon? Would love some tips on handling the camps wherever they may be, and the danger involved.

Also - is there a list of +CHA classic eq items?.. im not finding anything on the wiki, which is making me think im missing something.

Jimjam
01-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Honestly, level difference is the biggest factor on charm/calm resistance. Keep your defence skill close to cap and even with moderate charisma you’ll do fine 12-20. I can’t speak from experience on the higher levels, but you’re only 5 now. You don’t need to worry about breaking in to broodmother yet.

You can search equipment by class/slot and then filter by stat.

If you find a good selection of +cha gear maybe consider posting your results in a new page for future enchanters.

mcoy
01-30-2021, 11:19 AM
Obligatory crude stein reference:

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Crude_Stein

These rot often.

-Mcoy

Crede
01-30-2021, 11:47 AM
The pre-planar gear guide on the Enchanter p99 wiki has most of the CHA items listed for classic, like rod of insidious glamour, drake-hide leggings, etc.

HanzzYolo
01-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Hm yea i should clarify, im looking for gear to camp that ill be using later. Guides ive read agree that CHA isnt a focus until 20 or even 30. Im looking go start farming core items in the mean time.

What website are you using go search?... P99 wiki doesnt have filters to search by item attribute

Honestly, level difference is the biggest factor on charm/calm resistance. Keep your defence skill close to cap and even with moderate charisma you’ll do fine 12-20. I can’t speak from experience on the higher levels, but you’re only 5 now. You don’t need to worry about breaking in to broodmother yet.

You can search equipment by class/slot and then filter by stat.

If you find a good selection of +cha gear maybe consider posting your results in a new page for future enchanters.

Jimjam
01-30-2021, 12:22 PM
On the bar on the left, choose equipment, select by class, select enchanter to get:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Enchanter_Equipment

you can then choose a slot, e.g. feet,

https://wiki.project1999.com/Special:ClassSlotEquip/Enchanter/Feet/AllItems

which can then be sorted by charisma, which tells us that the odour eaters of Norrath are:

Loam Encrusted Lined Shoes (https://wiki.project1999.com/Loam_Encrusted_Lined_Shoes)

Seducio
01-30-2021, 07:31 PM
+38 Charisma total if pair of each of below worn

Jewelry: (purchased in EC from Jeweler)
https://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Cat_Eye_Bracelet
https://wiki.project1999.com/Electrum_Star_Ruby_Ring

Unrest - unrest barkeep
https://wiki.project1999.com/Opalline_Earring

Jibartik
01-30-2021, 08:28 PM
My budget, 30 and below self made suit is:

2x opaline earings (easy in your teens to obtain exping at unrest)
Gypsy medalian (easy to obtain in your teens in NK)
Magic Mask from Quest Cave (sol ro mask quest, easy with begging in your 20s or solo in your 30s)
1 jewlcraft ring 2x jewlcraft bracers & 1 squad ring (because dropped loot is better)
Mystic Cloak (self quest easy in late teens)
Gator sleeves (cheep and easy)
Drake Hide legs (easy to obtain leveling in SolA)
FBR easy to obtain at level 24 solo
Impskin Gloves (easy to obtain in your late 20s when you ready to leave SolA)

its a fun class to gear before 30 IMO but boring after that cus this gear is fine pretty much until your 60 tbh lol

and then the rest is whatever you want.

But that will get you to 50 and then you can start replacing it with nicer gear.

Sabin76
01-30-2021, 10:42 PM
Mystic Cloak (self quest easy in late teens)

How are you killing a level 29-31 mob in your late teens? The 55 minute spawn time doesn't it make it an any easier pill to swallow.

Jibartik
01-31-2021, 12:01 AM
How are you killing a level 29-31 mob in your late teens? The 55 minute spawn time doesn't it make it an any easier pill to swallow.

Just drag it to your teens group, what I did. Killed it infront of the fireplace, for a second I thought it was going to kill us all but we killed it.

I was able to level at that fire place, get 2 earings and the key from 1 night there.

Thanks frens that did that w/ me!

Vivitron
01-31-2021, 02:41 AM
On the enchanter page on the wiki there are lists of suggested gear by era. A lot of the gear I camped while leveling to 50 was from the pre planar list, and although I leveled to 50 before Kunark, it looks like most of the Kunark list is from camps where you need to be 40+. I also wore a Silk Evening Tunic.

DMN
01-31-2021, 01:39 PM
Well those lists are fine and all but they often lack comprehensiveness. There were a lot of good enchanter items missing when I looked at the vanilla options, like jeweled skull and white gold necklace. Both realistically BIS for most players in that time period. Trust but verify.

As far as the OP's concerned, it's not required to get over 200. You gain very little after that per point of charisma and you are much better off investing your gear into AC/HP/resists than that remaining 55. Enchanters do get very good charisma buff, so it's really not as daunting as you think to get 200+ by the time you are 50+

unsunghero
01-31-2021, 03:45 PM
As another new enchanter (first char on p99), I'm running into the problem of pp to even buy the cheapest of the cheap cha jewlery

Even at just like 50pp per piece of jewlery, that seems way outside what I am able to farm unless I completely stop leveling and devote time to just grinding mobs for coin (and we're talking days or weeks of just grinding plat, no leveling). Spells are already like 6pp/per, and I had to buy the lev 8, 12, and 16 animations from highkeep in advance because the run there is so long and annoying (waiting on the boat from FP). That cost me all of my saved 30pp, which I was proud to have saved by level 6

Now I'm back down to 10pp with a few spells including charm at level 12 needing to be bought. It seems unless you have a previous char with twink money there is no way you are going to be able to get some cha gear ready for when you get charm. I'll be lucky to be able to save enough for it by level 20...

Seducio
01-31-2021, 04:21 PM
In your high teens / early 20s consider grabbing a partner or trio and go to SolA.

Do Kobold Predator camp. Foreman is nearby.

SolA Fine Steel + large ore + named drops should get you some plat early on

Seducio
01-31-2021, 04:23 PM
In general leveling is a better strategy for wealth then focusing on plat accumulation at early levels.

Jimjam
01-31-2021, 06:28 PM
In general leveling is a better strategy for wealth then focusing on plat accumulation at early levels.

There are paths which allow both to be done fairly efficiently.

Minos, sisters, gargoyles, not sure of a good plat spot after that, spectres, giants sees you through most of the game, and is decent vendor plat throughout.

Can anyone recommend a spot between specs and gargs tho?

Jibartik
01-31-2021, 06:41 PM
As another new enchanter (first char on p99), I'm running into the problem of pp to even buy the cheapest of the cheap cha jewlery

Even at just like 50pp per piece of jewlery, that seems way outside what I am able to farm unless I completely stop leveling and devote time to just grinding mobs for coin (and we're talking days or weeks of just grinding plat, no leveling). Spells are already like 6pp/per, and I had to buy the lev 8, 12, and 16 animations from highkeep in advance because the run there is so long and annoying (waiting on the boat from FP). That cost me all of my saved 30pp, which I was proud to have saved by level 6

Now I'm back down to 10pp with a few spells including charm at level 12 needing to be bought. It seems unless you have a previous char with twink money there is no way you are going to be able to get some cha gear ready for when you get charm. I'll be lucky to be able to save enough for it by level 20...

That's about right for your first character in EQ (by the book) youll tend to make some plat, but then burnt it all every 4 levels. But by the time you're in your teens, I suggest heading to OOT to farm gargs, there is a real great NPC named DEEP that backstabs, she's higher level, but if you keep her below 20% when she breaks, she flee's so you dont have ot worry about her owning oyu. Keep sow/lev on you from the folks over at the AC and even get more buffs.

by the time you're 22-24 you can head over to the sisters to make some more money.

Toxigen
02-01-2021, 08:45 AM

this

the time you spend dicking around trying to get a little more CHA here and there would be better spent focusing on getting levels

remember: your level vs mob level is the biggest factor in charm breaks - the higher level you are, the bigger the gap between you and light blue con xp mobs

its nice to get loot while XPing, but dont try to do something above your level and turn it into a wipefest or a massive struggle

just keep looting good vendor trash as you level and go hit up EC tunnel and exchange plat for a CHA item

unsunghero
02-01-2021, 10:50 PM
That's about right for your first character in EQ (by the book) youll tend to make some plat, but then burnt it all every 4 levels. But by the time you're in your teens, I suggest heading to OOT to farm gargs, there is a real great NPC named DEEP that backstabs, she's higher level, but if you keep her below 20% when she breaks, she flee's so you dont have ot worry about her owning oyu. Keep sow/lev on you from the folks over at the AC and even get more buffs.

by the time you're 22-24 you can head over to the sisters to make some more money.

I appreciate the suggestions. I just hit 12 so was going to do some wisps in NK (or wherever I can find them, and just turning them in to some gypsy in NK). I also heard Lavastorm might be good coin. I can check OOT, but never was much into the idea of camping a single spawn for too long. I like to kind of move around the zone a bit, staying in one place waiting for a spawn gets kinda old for me. Same reason why I might not be trying for some “sisters” in lfay - they’re just in one spot and probably perma-camped anywho

After buying a few lev 12 spells I have a whopping 33pp left. Not too shabby, I might be able to buy a single +cha earring by lev 20 lol. I may go to feerrott and try to beg someone for a crude stein soon too

Vivitron
02-02-2021, 01:17 AM
I would be tempted to get a spyglass as my first 50p of gear, for resetting global spell cooldown with the instant click. To be replaced by a Rod of insidious glamour at level 30.

Jimjam
02-02-2021, 04:10 AM
You can be really miserly with what spells you buy as you level up. The only 12 spell i scribed was charm. I used suffocating sphere, charm, root, mez mainly. Occasionally i used buffs but they weren’t really necessary. I actually ended up vendoring my 12 and 16 animations as I wasn’t going to use them. You can always backfill the book later.

The sisters aren’t the only bandit camp in lfay btw. I would be tempted to get a spyglass as my first 50p of gear, for resetting global spell cooldown with the instant click. To be replaced by a Rod of insidious glamour at level 30.

This is a great suggestion. I’ve been really missing a GCD item on my enc. This will surely be my first purchase.

If you want some interesting gear or a break from xp at 12+ you can do the stein of moggok quest and maybe pick up a crude stein from someone killing ogre guards.

unsunghero
02-02-2021, 12:50 PM
So wisps are pretty hotly contested, I realized this AFTER I set my bind to NK, so now I’m kinda stuck there. Even at super off hours late last night, there was consistently 1-2 other people around my level trying to hunt down the ~5 different wisps that seem to spawn around the middle of zone. I could run my slow ass in circles around the zone for 30 min and not see a single wisp. I did eventually kill a few of them, but a nice fellow that buffed me and I got to chatting and he said to try bandits in WK, that the wisps just aren’t efficient money for the time unless no one is in NK

So I went to a bandit camp in WK and started practicing soothing/charming to break the camp, which I could do. The problem is I have to med to completely full mana and then everything has to go right, and if so I’ll have enough mana to kill 2 bandits at a time by charming one, killing the other, then breaking charm or waiting for it to break and killing the formerly charmed one. It became way too risky to try to kill 2 before killing the charmed one. Without a single +int on gear, I simply don’t have the mana pool to deal with a single thing that could go wrong yet. Overall charming bandits became more of a success than the wisps did tho

I don’t understand this resetting the GCD thing. I’m sure it’s useful but I haven’t needed it yet. I simply tash+charm a bandit, then pull the soothed one nearby with choke, then root the one I’m killing and stand way the hell back. If charm breaks I have more than enough time to cast charm again before the non-rooted one gets to me. If charm+root breaks, I’m probably effed, but luckily hasn’t happened yet. My biggest issue is not having a pet window to see who’s winning the dps race. AND when you are way the hell back, and trying to alternatively click the two targets (to check their health totals), it is high-impossible to do so unless you position yourself to the side of them. I know people use commands to have the pet report its health, which I haven’t used yet. Those and the GCD reset seem a little bit above the micromanagement I was planning to use on my first p99 char. I am already out if hotkeys in my action bar 1-6 with the pet attack and pet back off in there and spells that are too far to reach with alt+spellgem needed to be hotkeyed there

Edit: I have 2 honeycomb saved. I realize I need to run all the way to erudin to buy more tiny daggers soon (queynos can’t be bothered to stock that crap) so I can pick up another Stein component there. It’s the queynos fish one that seems a bit daunting for me due to the faction loss. I hear I’d have to make a new char just to kill fish which seems like a PITA

unleashedd
02-02-2021, 01:59 PM
all mobs have an attack delay of 30 = 3 seconds. all spell gems have a minimum cooldown of 2 seconds. the instaclicky used right after casting any spell skips this 2 seconds spell gem cooldown, allowing you to cast most spells again immediately. this is a gamechanging advanced tactic and you need to utilize it, especially when getting meleed down, ESPECIALLY on someone as frail as a chanter

unsunghero
02-25-2021, 06:29 AM
I’ve been able to get basically all budget pre-planar bis gear (almost), which puts me at about 206 cha unbuffed, 224 buffed atm at level 27

But it leaves me at only ~127 int. This seems super low compared to what int the other cloth casters can get. I followed guides which say to do the +hp +ac rings rather than go for +int on ring slots. So basically I don’t see any ways to improve my int until very high level or possibly never. Is this low int fine on chanter??

Man0warr
02-25-2021, 09:46 PM
Low INT is fine especially since it doesn't scale as well as +Mana at low level. Also with Clarity and longer lasting Charms you don't need such a huge mana pool as much as say a Wizard or Cleric.

Jibartik
02-26-2021, 12:09 AM
Im not sure if I put this strat in here but its a lot of fun for a low level enchanter and can get you some good easy plat and exp.

charm this creature https://wiki.project1999.com/Dixl_Drool take her over to the SF island, or find a druid, and get her sow'ed.

Then take her to gargoyle island, and fear/have her backstab the gargs. Let her health get below 20% and stay there, while its below 20, when she breaks charm she'll run away, instead of attack you, so you can easily recharm. the garg will be likely feared while your doing this, so its SUPER easy, once you get it down.

She CHUNKS those gargs down with backstabs, its really fun, when you are killing skelly place holders, just tank so they face you and she takes em out after 1 or 2 swings.

You can just run around the island fearing/killing gargs and clearing the skeleton ph's making great exp from like 16-22/24, at which point you should just hop over to the sister island and charm kill those two guards until you're 32 or something.

Because of the 20% strat, and fear, you are safe to do this when she is a high con to you, starting as soon as you can land a charm on her!

unsunghero
02-26-2021, 02:03 AM
I haven’t been to OOT yet. I’ve been making money exclusively by solo dungeon crawling, whichever has the best vendor trash. I should just farm guards like everyone else and their mother, but I like the idea of being able to bank or shop anywhere. Plus sadly there’s not a whole lot to save for now other than big ticket things like jb or ggr. In no rush for those tbh

Jimjam
02-26-2021, 02:15 AM
You want to make money 19-27 but you aren’t following the oot suggestion... you do realise the gargoyles can drop 20pp worth of low weight stackable loot per kill, right?

DMN
02-26-2021, 04:34 AM
Unless a druid/wizard and you bind out there, not a fan of OoT myself. You sound like you are getting close to the level you could do some of sol a. They all drop finesteel there and you can even sell in zone to the gnomes.

Sabin76
02-26-2021, 04:42 AM
I know you were likely exaggerating, but the young goblins near the entrance of Sol A drop rusty or bronze, too. Them ores, though...

DMN
02-26-2021, 05:13 AM
I don't think the ore is in yet on green. And my memory must be failing but I only recall get FS weapon in sol a, though perhaps i never bothered with the lowest elvel trash there, especially if you can walk past them without aggro.

unsunghero
02-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Unless a druid/wizard and you bind out there, not a fan of OoT myself. You sound like you are getting close to the level you could do some of sol a. They all drop finesteel there and you can even sell in zone to the gnomes.

I'm about past what OOT would give, exp-wise (1 bubble from 28). I did pop into SolA briefly yesterday when some level 60 was pulling the entire zone of Najena at a time so their lowbie monk alt (or box char) could solo it. For 8+ hours straight. So Najena (my previous favorite hunting spot) was out for me

I came in to Sol A from the lavastorm ent, was startled that the goblin wizard could see through invis and aggro'd me from behind a wall. Was knocked off the staircase into the lava below with 2-3 goblins on me, frantically jumped around some lava stream for a few seconds and died under the lava. Was kinda not sober at the time having no effing idea where my body is, not even able to get it because I didn't buy levitate yet and the caster goblins see through invis. So I thought I was pretty fucked. Luckily some super nice bard helped me get my body. Definitely not liking Sol A so far, that was the last time I went in

I did foray all the way to upper Guk to check it out. Anything below a Ton knight doesn't give any exp, the froglock coin drops are pathetic (10 silver, 15 copper) and the trash drops vendor for less than the Najena stuff. So Upper Guk was a bit of a disappointment. There are also lots of people in there 24/7 on Green server so not a lot of opportunity on camps

I'm feeling kinda stuck at this point, since Najena is greening out and getting boring. I'm thinking of getting a port back to NK so I can check out SK. Or maybe even Kunark although my chanter has weak noodle arms and can only carry like 40lbs of stuff at a time, so unless I have a vendor really close to my exp spot I can't make money all that well. I should buy a bag of sewn evil eye (have 3 shralock packs) but I've been prioritizing money on future spells I know I'll need (radiant visage, shifting deeds, etc)

DMN
02-26-2021, 02:51 PM
I think you learned a lot and at a level where those lessons only cost you a fraction of your exp/time.

1. Don't rely on invis/IvU working. Be happy when it gets the job done.
2. Always have mesmerization up on your spell bar and hotkeyed when soloing a dungeon you don't know.. You need to be able to do AoE stun + mesmerization while blindfolded.(MR is an incredibly important stat to gear for pre level 55)
3. Pathing can be fucky and can screw you so beware/don't be complacent.
4. Aggro ranges can be fucky and screw you so beware/don't be complacent.
5. Don't panic.
6. Recognize environmental dangers such as like steep drop offs, water/ lava and avoid/navigate them properly.
7. always expect the worst to happen. Plan for it.

unsunghero
02-26-2021, 03:16 PM
5. Don't panic.

More like don't explore new dungeons when you're drunk as shit...

Jibartik
02-26-2021, 05:52 PM
28-34 on sister isle will net you 5-7k :)

free buffs/heals 100 yards away.

cool breeze of the Oot at your back.

hooker elfs to keep you company during downtime.

idk what more you could ask for!

DMN
02-26-2021, 06:15 PM
28-34 on sister isle will net you 5-7k :)

free buffs/heals 100 yards away.

cool breeze of the Oot at your back.

hooker elfs to keep you company during downtime.

idk what more you could ask for!

A spot that isn't perpetually camped to shit.

Jibartik
02-26-2021, 06:44 PM
It's actually not very much different than pretty much any spot on any p99 sever but red heh

Like, think about this, it takes less time to log in, notice someone is camping your spot that you're comfortable with, for anohter hour or so, so you wait.

OR you run to a dungeon, setup a camp, get inside, do all this work, get adds, maybe die, have to zone, etc

In the long run, waiting at a camp like sisters, is less downtime than a night of finding/trying something less well known or new to you.

knawhutimean?

Not that I am trying to discourage trying new things, it's how I figured out my garg strat!

DMN
02-26-2021, 06:57 PM
The problem is spending a 20 mins- half hour getting out to the sisters to find them camped, then you spend another 20 mins- half an hour getting out of the zone since there is nothing else for you to do in that level range in OOT.

There are also only 2 high plat sisters. The rest are pretty pathetic for plat.

Jibartik
02-26-2021, 07:00 PM
I would reccomend binding in Oot and staying there for 4 or 5 days, and by then your 32 and 7 richer, or you are tired of it and you leave.

But you can def keep yourself busy waiting on the sister camp, or just watching SLIDERS on netflix while you sit afk on the list :p

Oot is a zone every eq player should know like the back of their hand IMO, its a uniquely powerful zone! Should camp the dino, at least once!

unsunghero
02-27-2021, 02:10 PM
So I looked up possible gear upgrades and got pretty discouraged. While other classes especially melees and priests (but even other cloth casters) have multiple tiers of gear they can progress in, it seems enchanter lacks very obvious upgrades

For example, I can't find anything much better than opalline earrings which come from a lowbie dungeon mob. I can't find anything much better than gypsy medallion which comes from a lowbie mob in the karanas. I understand loam encrusted being so good for their respective slots, so I'll give that a pass. No weapon ever seems to become better than rod of glamour, and no offhand better than crude stein which I bought for 7pp off a vendor

The only upgrades I can even spot are either from the plane of fear/hate (no drop), or else ridiculously expensive for only a tiny boost in stats, such as crown of king trannix or necklace of superiority. I understand gear progression is a game of inches and only getting a tiny bit of stats is how it tends to go, but like I said, lots of other classes have multiple tiers of gear they can progress with. Enchanter seems to have a good starter set, and then be stuck with that until the planes???

Tewaz
02-27-2021, 05:19 PM
I soloed a new Enc to 59 on Red99.

The #1 things you need as an Enc are HP and Charisma. Charisma is very important at higher levels so you can avoid critical resists on calm/lull.

When you hit 51 you get Theft of Thought which allows you to steal mana from mobs every few minutes and it is > any gear set you can get in the game.

Just keep grinding and leveling, the huge upgrades for you are your spells and they are what you should save for.

A lot of the high cha items are still really good for you when you're grinding solo 50+ so grab them when you can.

Also, Planes gear is super easy to get.

Man0warr
02-28-2021, 02:39 AM
So I looked up possible gear upgrades and got pretty discouraged. While other classes especially melees and priests (but even other cloth casters) have multiple tiers of gear they can progress in, it seems enchanter lacks very obvious upgrades

For example, I can't find anything much better than opalline earrings which come from a lowbie dungeon mob. I can't find anything much better than gypsy medallion which comes from a lowbie mob in the karanas. I understand loam encrusted being so good for their respective slots, so I'll give that a pass. No weapon ever seems to become better than rod of glamour, and no offhand better than crude stein which I bought for 7pp off a vendor

The only upgrades I can even spot are either from the plane of fear/hate (no drop), or else ridiculously expensive for only a tiny boost in stats, such as crown of king trannix or necklace of superiority. I understand gear progression is a game of inches and only getting a tiny bit of stats is how it tends to go, but like I said, lots of other classes have multiple tiers of gear they can progress with. Enchanter seems to have a good starter set, and then be stuck with that until the planes???

Those items are all insanely good for their cost though. You don't really need to upgrade them until end game. The amount of CHA you get from items like Rod of Glamour and Crude Stein for their cost is unmatched by other classes gear progression. Get some 55 HP rings and those cheap CHA items and your good to go.

unsunghero
02-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Those items are all insanely good for their cost though. You don't really need to upgrade them until end game. The amount of CHA you get from items like Rod of Glamour and Crude Stein for their cost is unmatched by other classes gear progression. Get some 55 HP rings and those cheap CHA items and your good to go.

Good to go...but not good to last. Progressing gear is really what ties me (like most people) to MMO's. As soon as gear progression dries up, then all I'm really doing is saving pp for a re-roll twink. And right now ENC seems like the most fun char for me, so as soon as I feel all I'm doing is saving for a re-roll, I'll probably start playing a lot less

As it stands now it appears my only chance is to try to get into a guild that goes into plane of fear/hate (one of these or both, I haven't looked it up), or wait for velious which appears to offer some upgrades. Someone else on here said gear from planes is fairly easy to get, but I'm assuming that means easy assuming you can get into a powerguild that raids those regularly?

Even if the gear isn't going to increase the char's power (certainly nothing like melee char's gear progression works), I just like the idea of progressing gear because it keeps me interested in playing the game

Man0warr
02-28-2021, 07:46 PM
Yes you'll need to join a guild that does Planar clears to get Insidious armor, but that content is scheduled and uncontested (except for the boss NPCs in each Plane) and there are several guilds who do regular planar clears for armor every week.

Canelek
03-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Oh, if you want gear progression, this is a rough game unless you plan on being a fairly avid raider.

And Enchanters, aside from a couple spells, do not need to spend much plat at all to excel.

Remember, this game rewards patience (a lot of patience) and is generally not rewarding if you are easily bored.