PDA

View Full Version : Bard kiting/strafing keystrokes question

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin View Post
Real question- why would you use sow to aoe kite? I always found strafing in big circles to be the best method. Honestly I don’t know how sow would help really. You still have to be within aoe range.

Seriously, this is the best method I’ve found: run around (w/ Selos) and gather 20-25 mobs and drag them to your aoe spot. Circle around until mobs are all clumped together tight. Click off Selos, start strafing, hit enter twice and then you are locked into strafe mode. Hot key whatever your best dots as 1-2-3 or whatever and then use right mouse to turn while strafing. Cycle through dot hotkeys and if you see damage to mobs then you’re in the right aoe range.

If you’re not hitting them, make your circle a little tighter (takes some practice- try it with just a mob or two until you get it down). No need for sow or any other speed enhancers- strafing is fast enough to outrun mist normal mobs.

I've been tinkering with a lowbie Bard for a bit now, and seized upon precisely this method mentioned above. HOWEVER... I cannot 'lock in' the strafe run. I can auto-run, but not auto-strafe, even just strafing, much less in combination with running forward to give the diagonal pattern needed for this kiting technique. I'm sure it comes down to how I have my keys set up. After deep diving into these threads, I have yet to come up with a definitive answer to satisfy my old crusty brain.

I'm using WASD for general movement; have strafe set at Q(left) and E(right) so I can hold either in combination with W to achieve that diagonal strafe. My sausage fingers are perfectly capable of holding both with a single digit, so I can hit hotkeys to maintain DoT, and/or whatever else I may need. Using mouselook to turn slightly, outward/away from the strafe to generate the circle. I can get it pretty tight this way, and have had success, but I keep seeing mentions and vids of folks being able to 'lock' into the diagonal strafe similar to auto-run. For obvious reasons, this would make it SO much incredibly easier.
I've tried same method while maintaining Selo's in the twist, and while buffed with SoW, and I can't make it work. The diagaonal strafe running speed works perfectly fine for what I've been using it upon so far: grizzlys, wisps, bandits, lions, wolves, etc.

So all that typing to essentially ask the question: How do I lock in running forward AND strafing?
My apologies for taking so long to get to that point, but I feel like the context will help provide a proper answer- especially from those with Barding experience.

Thanks so much peeps. I appreciate all the wisdom being shared here.

Ennewi
01-19-2021, 08:46 AM
So all that typing to essentially ask the question: How do I lock in running forward AND strafing?
My apologies for taking so long to get to that point, but I feel like the context will help provide a proper answer- especially from those with Barding experience.

Thanks so much peeps. I appreciate all the wisdom being shared here.

While strafing, hit "r" to reply to someone or "t" to open tell command, then just click outside of the chat window. There's probably an easier way, but that's always worked when I've needed to use auto-strafe.

Masakizt
01-19-2021, 09:30 AM
I simply use Num Lock to auto run forward (i think that is the default keybind?) then hold my Strafe right key (D)

Obviously one Num locked if I tap W or S it will stop the auto run.

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Without being at home to experiment with these suggestions (downtime at work = forum time) I think I have tried similar approaches without yielding success.
Using the R or T is somewhat akin to the double-tap of the enter key, correct. I'm fairly sure I've tried just about every iteration of similar keystrokes without working properly, or at least the way I 'intend' for it to work.
Also, once auto-run is engaged, the moment I hit another key, it 'takes over' and will strafe- as long as I hold it down, but will disengage as soon as I release it. The whole idea is to lock-in auto-strafe.

I appreciate the help, and I'll certainly try each of these once I'm at my game comp, but I believe the answer is still out there somewhere...
Thanks for such quick replies

Legidias
01-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Try different methods. The main ones are the strafe and sow above, ran in either circles or ovals (the drive by), or what I prefer, tap circles. With tap circles, once you get used to it, its extremely consistent compared to the drive by popular approach and I always felt safer than the strafe method plus you can do all movement with just keyboard and use mouse to cast songs / switch instruments.

Vivitron
01-19-2021, 11:37 AM
What I've found to work is to hold your forward key and your turn key down, while holding right click to change that key combo into a strafe run with mouse look, then hit enter to lock it in and it remains a strafe run when you drop the mouse look and movement keys. I never tried it with a strafe key instead of a turn key.

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 12:13 PM
RE Legidias: I've tried the non-strafe method (with SoW, and with twisting in Selo's) and just couldn't make it work. Perhaps with much more practice I could... but as many times as I tried, it didn't seem like I was even getting close. This does sound a lot like the method suggested to me by a VERY helpful peep in-game last night. Said once I got it, all other methods would be way harder/not worth it. I really wanted to 'get it'. Just couldn't.

RE Vivitron: I've tried virtually every combination of this, without success. When running, if I hit 'turn', I simply start turning/spinning; I no longer run forward. If I get the strafe run established, I cannot lock it in, using any method that I can discover on my own. It is for this reason, that I believe it is a keyboard assignment issue, and not something I am simply overlooking.

I played for years, then did take a decade and a half off- but have been back at it for a year and a half or so, albeit on Live initially, and then most recently on green. This is simply my first Bard, so my first instance of really needing to maintain longer episodes of sustained circling/strafing/ovaling/whatever. I've managed to strafe run from peeps most of my EQ life as a Necro primarily, so kiting is nothing new- even sometimes just trying to 'get away' with a strafe technique when sow drops, gets dispelled etc. Running/player control has never presented such issues in the past; just now that I'm trying to hone my Bard'ing techniques.

Again, I appreciate the wisdom. Whatever methods are recommended, I'll give them a shot once I get home to my game comp. and report back when I've found something that works. I am fully prepared for that answer to make me look completely computer illiterate- which I may be from time to time, lol

Vivitron
01-19-2021, 01:28 PM
When running, if I hit 'turn', I simply start turning/spinning; I no longer run forward.

Forget locking it in for a second; simultaneously holding turn+forward+mouse-look should be a strafe run, does it function that way in your setup?

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 01:31 PM
Forget locking it in for a second; simultaneously holding turn+forward+mouse-look should be a strafe run, does it function that way in your setup?

I believe it does. Achieving the diagonal strafe run, hasn't been the issue. I can do that; but rather getting it to 'auto-run' that way is my hang up. If I just have to hold down those keys while maintaining the 'kite'... I'll go back to being a Necro. lol

I'm obviously still learning, and for me, that makes it fun. I'm not giving up, but I'll definitely be spending some more time tinkering with it. My play time is limited, so I'll practice, and then realize what time it is, and then- just go kill stuff!!!

Vivitron
01-19-2021, 01:36 PM
At that point you should be able to hit enter, and then release forward+turn, and then enter again.

Vivitron
01-19-2021, 01:46 PM
You're locking on the strafe run by initiating chat box input, releasing the movement keys, then ending the chat box input; the auto run key is not used. If you hit another movement key after that it does take over; you'll need to steer by mouse-look.

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Right. That's how it 'should' work... but it doesn't. That's why I'm convinced it's a key assignment issue, or even a device/hardware issue with the keyboard itself. I don't have very many custom changes with regard to the options menu... most stuff is default, and I know to not have things duplicated.

DBStrong
01-19-2021, 02:01 PM
I think I'm using the term "auto-run" improperly. When I have used it I meant running forward (my W key) then double tapping enter, and continuing to run 'automatically'. I suppose there is an auto-run 'key' but that it not of which I speak.

I applaud your patience Vivitron. You have quickly become one of my favorite contributors to my EQ learning curve!

Vivitron
01-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Given the possibility that the issue was a miscommunication about which key to press when I figured I would be explicit:) Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions on diagnosing this further.

Edit: long shot, but maybe try the arrow keys instead of w+a or vice versa.

Chesters
01-19-2021, 05:20 PM
Hold the forward arrow and the left/right directional arrow, while simultaneously holding the right mouse button to strafe. Then press ENTER to lock it in. I found this doesnt really work when using WASD (also hard to reach the enter key and hold mouse button at the same time).

The other (much easier IMO) way I have done it is by clicking off of the EQ window in windowed mode while strafe running. Clicking off the window will lock in whatever movement you are doing at the moment. So I just hold W+E(strafe right) then left click my start bar and then right click back into the EQ window to return to game. This is the easiest way I've found and its what I do to lock in my strafe run while bard swarming but it is useless if you dont play windowed mode.

Zipity
01-20-2021, 08:04 AM
Strafe boosts run speed by 13% just get jboots or sow pots and don’t fuck with strafing unless you have too. The only time you ever need strafe is if you are kiting indoors where you can easily go back out to refresh the above and the mobs aren’t snareable or your too low level to snare in that situation in which case your better off outdoors kiting. There is very very few times where you actually need strafe 99% of everything can be consistently kited without it.

Masakizt
01-20-2021, 09:07 AM
The whole idea is to lock-in auto-strafe.

I have never found a way to auto lock in the strafe.

Afaik you can only 'lock' yourself into Forward motion or turning (one or the other), not forward and turning at same time.

Legidias
01-20-2021, 09:44 AM
Strafing isnt running and turning at the same time, but regardless, I've always found it to work either by holding W + either turn or strafe and then either pressing enter or just clicking outside EQ. A common trick of people trying to up swimming.

DBStrong
01-20-2021, 02:38 PM
I'm afraid that's what I'm coming to terms with Masakizt...
I have basically become proficient in using the strafe turning method, although that means having one finger on the run & strafe buttons for the duration of the kite. That kinda sucks, but is manageable for the smaller scale crowds I have been gathering/practicing with so far in the pre-early teen levels. Down the road, when gathering larger populations, I can't see it being sustainable, so I'll have to figure out how to do it with SoW, or twisting in Selo's. This is my first ever toon on Red so I'll never have JBoots. I don't even know what the MQ would run on that server, but it's more than I'll ever farm- for a Bard, especially.

Legidias, I know I've used the method your speaking of, and yes- definitely used it to max swimming on quite a few toons. However, that does lock in to a VERY tight circle, essentially, just a spiral of a few 'feet/meters' and would be way too close for the purpose of kiting. It is perfect however for the sake of swimming around Lake Rathe for skill ups! I obviously don't understand the mechanics of it, because it works when adding the 'turn' but not adding the 'strafe'.

I'll figure it out one way or the other, as I have pretty much always done. The only thing that has ever held me back from whatever I've wanted to do in this game, is RL- Dangit! lol Play time is just too scarce for all that I want to accomplish.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I always appreciate the shared wisdom from all of you. ;)

lemonpantaloons
01-20-2021, 07:09 PM
You can lock in strafe by clicking alt tab and switching to windowed mode. Nothing else I’ve tried works :)

DBStrong
01-21-2021, 07:18 AM
You can lock in strafe by clicking alt tab and switching to windowed mode. Nothing else I’ve tried works :)

I've gotten this same suggestion from another peep, and without being able to play last night, I wasn't able to test it out... It may be a tad clunky, but I'm totally willing to try.

Thanks for the insight ;)

Tewaz
02-06-2021, 02:47 PM
The Jboots quest is very easy to finish on red, the Ro AC is up a lot and not contested. I have multiple toons with the ring from just running through the zone and seeing him up.