PDA

View Full Version : Just got a nice ribeye steak in the fridge. . .

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 12:18 AM
How would you cook it if you were me? I can use a natural gas grill or a cast-iron skillet. Or the oven, I guess, but why would you do a steak in the oven? idk

Tunabros
01-12-2021, 12:19 AM
I would steal it and take it hostage

manastone or you starve tonight

Swish
01-12-2021, 12:43 AM
flip a coin for the first two options <3

Arvan
01-12-2021, 02:50 AM
Very hot pan or grill you gotta sear it real gud man or it will be not excellent

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 09:40 AM
I was thinking about just putting it on the grill, but sometimes I get flare-ups because I really need to clean the grill. Maybe the skillet on the grill so I don't smoke up the house?

mcoy
01-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Flare-ups = flavor imho.

-Mcoy

Mblake81
01-12-2021, 10:05 AM
How would you cook it if you were me? I can use a natural gas grill or a cast-iron skillet. Or the oven, I guess, but why would you do a steak in the oven? idk

cast-iron skillet.

Personally prefer charcoal.

Power Flower
01-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Mass produced red meat is horrible for you, throw it in the garbage

Kich867
01-12-2021, 10:50 AM

Season with salt and pepper in advance and let it get to room temperature. Season that bitch a lot, probably more than you think you should if you don't cook steak that often or season your steaks that often.

Get the cast iron nice and hot. Depending on thickness, cook to your desired doneness (medium rare obviously).

Once both sides are seared, drop a knob of butter in, crush 2 cloves of garlic and chuck those in, drop a bit of thyme and rosemary in, take a spoon and baste each side until its ready to come off the pan. Use a meat thermometer in the center to check the doneness, its easier than trying to feel it and feeling it can lie to you. The temp never lies.

Let the steak rest for ~5 minutes, place the garlic/rosemary/thyme on top while it rests.

I've since stopped using cast iron, so it's been awhile, the last ribeye I cooked was in thick stainless steel which is similar-ish. I cooked each side about 4-5 minutes, then began basting for one minute on each side, then let rest, and that came out a pretty perfect medium to medium rare.

For sides, I like taking small potatoes that come in those bags, dice into quarters, put in a bowl, mix some olive oil in, add salt, pepper, maybe something fun like cayenne pepper, mix it all up, bake on parchment paper in the oven at 400 for 20-22 minutes.

Then, while the steak is resting, cut some broccoli florets in half, cook them in the same pan you used to cook the steak but drop the heat down to low/low-medium. You don't want to burn them, you just want to get color on them until they're bright green and get a little bit softer. Mix them up and around to get all that shit in the pan on them. Don't parboil them or anything, just pan fry them, fuck parboiling them it makes them taste like water and they're soft as fuck, just pan fry them to retain their flavor and crunch until bright, vibrant green.

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Mass produced red meat is horrible for you, throw it in the garbage

Who said anything about mass-produced?

Gravydoo II
01-12-2021, 11:44 AM
throw it in the garbage

lolollol

this guy. Do like bill the butcher and just seer each side of it then eat it raw. You savage. I dont know much about cooking.

Bearsnowls
01-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Propane grill with a big ole tater.

Fame
01-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Season with salt and pepper in advance and let it get to room temperature. Season that bitch a lot, probably more than you think you should if you don't cook steak that often or season your steaks that often.

Get the cast iron nice and hot. Depending on thickness, cook to your desired doneness (medium rare obviously).

Once both sides are seared, drop a knob of butter in, crush 2 cloves of garlic and chuck those in, drop a bit of thyme and rosemary in, take a spoon and baste each side until its ready to come off the pan. Use a meat thermometer in the center to check the doneness, its easier than trying to feel it and feeling it can lie to you. The temp never lies.

Let the steak rest for ~5 minutes, place the garlic/rosemary/thyme on top while it rests.

I've since stopped using cast iron, so it's been awhile, the last ribeye I cooked was in thick stainless steel which is similar-ish. I cooked each side about 4-5 minutes, then began basting for one minute on each side, then let rest, and that came out a pretty perfect medium to medium rare.

For sides, I like taking small potatoes that come in those bags, dice into quarters, put in a bowl, mix some olive oil in, add salt, pepper, maybe something fun like cayenne pepper, mix it all up, bake on parchment paper in the oven at 400 for 20-22 minutes.

Then, while the steak is resting, cut some broccoli florets in half, cook them in the same pan you used to cook the steak but drop the heat down to low/low-medium. You don't want to burn them, you just want to get color on them until they're bright green and get a little bit softer. Mix them up and around to get all that shit in the pan on them. Don't parboil them or anything, just pan fry them, fuck parboiling them it makes them taste like water and they're soft as fuck, just pan fry them to retain their flavor and crunch until bright, vibrant green.

Good man.

Jibartik
01-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Here is a little trick for this one, poke holes in it, fill them with butter. Spread meat tenderizer on the top.

Roast it at 450 until it reaches an inside temp of 120-140 depending on your taste.

The meat tenderizer will dry up the meat, but the butter in there will counteract that and you get a real nice dinner.

Its a my secret family recipe and you guys are cool so here it is!

GinnasP99
01-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Here's my skillet method
Heat oven to 500f, go ahead and throw the skillet in there to give it a head start heating up.
Make sure your beef is room temp, I usually set it out on the counter at least an hour before cooking.
Take the skillet and put it on high heat, you want that pan literally ripping hot.
Sear beef about 2 mins each side, don't move it around, don't press down.
After you've put a good sear on, then finish it in the oven to your desired temp.
(this is going to smoke up your house quite a bit, might want to take the batteries out of your smoke alarm, and NEVER forget that pan is HOT)
ohh, and prior to cooking I put just a tiny dab on canola oil on my beef, just to lube it up, black pepper and coarse kosher salt

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 12:44 PM
Here's my skillet method
Heat oven to 500f, go ahead and throw the skillet in there to give it a head start heating up.
Make sure your beef is room temp, I usually set it out on the counter at least an hour before cooking.
Take the skillet and put it on high heat, you want that pan literally ripping hot.
After you've put a good sear on, then finish it in the oven to your desired temp.
(this is going to smoke up your house quite a bit, might want to take the batteries out of your smoke alarm, and NEVER forget that pan is HOT)

Yea, this is why I like doing stuff like this in the grill. With all burners on and the hood down, the internal temp of the grill gets to be pretty damn hot.

GinnasP99
01-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Mass produced red meat is horrible for you

No, it isn't

Kich867
01-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Here's my skillet method
ohh, and prior to cooking I put just a tiny dab on canola oil on my beef, just to lube it up, black pepper and coarse kosher salt

This is also definitely a solid option. Have you ever tried doing this in the opposite order? I vaguely follow a dude named Kenji on youtube who popularized the "reverse sear", where you first cook the steak in the oven to your desired doneness and then finish in the pan to sear the sides of it.

He prefers that method because you don't get that well-done surface, it cooks evenly through top to bottom.

Maybe I'll grab a steak and try it this weekend...

Kich867
01-12-2021, 12:52 PM
I like my broc burnt a bit. Same with meats. I have a taste for burnt carbon with some foods.

Remember, it's never burnt, it's just caramelized.

Really though that's totally normal. So long as the food isn't literally burnt to a crisp, the char adds more complexity, texture, and depth to the flavor.

GinnasP99
01-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Kich I've seen that method done with sous vide. Supposedly comes out very consistent throughout the entire steak.

Kich867
01-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Kich I've seen that method done with sous vide. Supposedly comes out very consistent throughout the entire steak.

Ah! Sous vide is something I'd also like to try at some point. My instinct is always just to cook shit in a pan, I like to be involved and active in the process haha.

indiscriminate_hater
01-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Throw it in a pot of water, add some veggies and salt, baby you got a stew going

Kich867
01-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Throw it in a pot of water, add some veggies and salt, baby you got a stew going

I've been getting into buy whole chickens lately. Disassemble, roast the carcass for a bit, toss it in the slow cooker with carrots, onions, celery, pepper, some other shit, let that go for like 18-24 hours. You get hella chicken stock out of it.

Then later, take chicken thighs, deskin them, toss skin in the pan to let it render. Use the chicken skin oil to lightly cook the thighs in (just the outside), use that and the chicken stock to make soup. Pour the oil into the pot that shits mad chickeny.

You sorta have to find and grab the bones out of the soup later but its not that hard and that shit comes out ridic.

The only real problem is that doing all of that takes awhile, but I've gotten pretty decent at carving chickens up. And you get food for like the entire week and its way cheaper than buying that shit individually.

Knuckle
01-12-2021, 03:22 PM

Sear all 6 sides 1 minute on stovetop pan on high heat, then broil for about 10-12minutes. Take some fresh butter just a thin slice and let it soak on the steak for about 3-5min after it comes out of the oven in a little foil tent/sauna.

kaizersoze
01-12-2021, 05:12 PM
cajun seasoning, hard sear both sides for caramelization, baste, top w bleu cheese and melt in the oven until desired done-ness.

Knuckle
01-12-2021, 05:41 PM
cajun seasoning, hard sear both sides for caramelization, baste, top w bleu cheese and melt in the oven until desired done-ness.

I am in the minority that cannot stand the taste/smell of bleu cheese... Publix had these roast beef blue cheese subs that made me vomit one time.

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Sear all 6 sides 1 minute on stovetop pan on high heat, then broil for about 10-12minutes. Take some fresh butter just a thin slice and let it soak on the steak for about 3-5min after it comes out of the oven in a little foil tent/sauna.

In terms of a simplicity to effectiveness ratio. . . I think we found a winner.

Lune
01-12-2021, 08:52 PM
In terms of a simplicity to effectiveness ratio. . . I think we found a winner.

You have the right idea.

It's a ribeye. Stick it on a grill and cook it, it'll turn out great. All these people posting about globbing butter onto it lol

LazyHydras
01-12-2021, 10:28 PM
You have the right idea.

It's a ribeye. Stick it on a grill and cook it, it'll turn out great. All these people posting about globbing butter onto it lol

Yea, this is what I was thinking. You pay good money for a ribeye because it is up there as one of the best steaks. You don't need to mess with it too much.

beargryllz
01-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Sear on the stove and finish it in the oven.

Remove from the oven and let it rest. While it rests, take all the juice and reduce it into gravy. Ideally, you'll be deglazing the pan and cooking down some onion or mushrooms while the steak is in the oven

This is the proper way. If you haven't cooked a proper steak, you owe it to yourself. You have to do it this way or you're just wasting good meat and wasting your life because you *could* have had a great meal but decided not to

Kich867
01-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Yea, this is what I was thinking. You pay good money for a ribeye because it is up there as one of the best steaks. You don't need to mess with it too much.

Solid seasoning of salt and pepper is a minimum, but the difference between a really well made steak and a steak with the bare minimum is a significant difference in experience.

If you properly make a ribeye that shit stops you in your tracks with how fucking good it is.

FatherSioux
01-13-2021, 01:33 AM
Nothing wrong with a cast iron ribeye finished in the oven. You can cook many cuts like this with grand success. Bone in chops cooked like that are a treat.

Bardp1999
01-13-2021, 02:15 AM
I like to gather the family in the living room where I then strip naked and allow them watch me consume my steak raw.

Knuckle
01-13-2021, 01:36 PM
You have the right idea.

A sliver of butter is pretty much just icing on the cake , that's about as minimal a marinade as you can get, and have never felt like it negatively impacted the steak, especially if your adding it after cooking to prevent the burnt butter smell.

Lune
01-13-2021, 10:55 PM
A sliver of butter is pretty much just icing on the cake , that's about as minimal a marinade as you can get, and have never felt like it negatively impacted the steak, especially if your adding it after cooking to prevent the burnt butter smell.

Just a matter of personal taste I guess. I've just never personally liked butter on steak.

Mota
01-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Few comments about getting steak to room temp... there's some mixed urban legends in there.

Leaving a steak out for 30 min to an hour will not raise it to room temp, it will take much longer than that for a steak cut of a normal thickness (1 inch or more). However, leaving the steak out dries it out more than going fridge to pan. So it's possible for there to be a noticeable difference in steaks left out to "room temp", but it's because there is less moisture, not because you started cooking it at 72F instead of 40F. This assumes your steak is exposed to air and not still sitting in plastic on the counter.

Less moisture = more even cook and more maillard reaction on the outside. Starting temp is a red herring.

LazyHydras
01-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Few comments about getting steak to room temp... there's some mixed urban legends in there.

Leaving a steak out for 30 min to an hour will not raise it to room temp, it will take much longer than that for a steak cut of a normal thickness (1 inch or more). However, leaving the steak out dries it out more than going fridge to pan. So it's possible for there to be a noticeable difference in steaks left out to "room temp", but it's because there is less moisture, not because you started cooking it at 72F instead of 40F. This assumes your steak is exposed to air and not still sitting in plastic on the counter.

Less moisture = more even cook and more maillard reaction on the outside. Starting temp is a red herring.

I can agree with that. A better outcome for steak is when you sear with less moisture in it.

FatherSioux
01-14-2021, 06:28 PM

So you just leave it open to the air in the fridge. I am guilty of leaving steaks out for 30 minutes before cooking. My steaks area great so if I can be improving this by cutting that step out I'd like to hear more.

My question though revolves around the way that steak "warms" to room temp. It will warm to room temp the way it cooks in say an oven, outside warms first and core last. So isn't the steak going to be more warm than if it comes from fridge to pan?

imperiouskitten
01-14-2021, 07:38 PM
master made a HELL of a ribeye last night. rly good.