PDA

View Full Version : Good Fantasy Series

DoodyLich666
01-09-2021, 06:23 PM
Hail! I am looking for some recommendations for a good fantasy book series. I was on a science fiction binge for a while, and am about done with the Dune trilogy. I am now in the mood for some high adventure and sorcery! I have read the Lord of the Rings and the Children of Huron too recently for a revisit, and I am looking for something of that ilk that I haven’t checked out. Anybody have any suggestions?

magnetaress
01-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Sword of Truth by Terry goodkind,

start with wizards first rule

https://i.imgur.com/1sf5SsF.jpg

such a good damn series, every book

Tunabros
01-09-2021, 06:31 PM
wheel of time

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 06:36 PM
The Holy Bible, by God

Kich867
01-09-2021, 06:44 PM
If you're interested in sort of light reading, the Drizzt series can be fun. I wouldn't say its the most impressive work of fantasy, but its iconic and easy to get into. And there's like 40 books by now so if you do like it you can scratch that itch for ages.

DoodyLich666
01-09-2021, 06:47 PM
The Holy Bible, by God

Too unrealistic.

I have considered reading Wheel of Time before, and I will look into Sword of Truth.

GinnasP99
01-09-2021, 06:58 PM
https://imgur.com/BNjWsxZ.jpg

magnetaress
01-09-2021, 07:01 PM
https://imgur.com/BNjWsxZ.jpg

Seconded, this was like my entry into fantasy, super fun.

And

https://i.imgur.com/ShPKy2t.jpg

aswell, like my 2cnd read thru fantasy stuff

but the 1st book is kind of rough, but the main protagonist turns out to be a good guy

Mead
01-09-2021, 07:07 PM
If you're interested in sort of light reading, the Drizzt series can be fun. I wouldn't say its the most impressive work of fantasy, but its iconic and easy to get into. And there's like 40 books by now so if you do like it you can scratch that itch for ages.

Yea. I would definitely start with the dark elf trilogy if you haven’t read them yet.

nostalgiaquest
01-09-2021, 07:29 PM
went through the same phase a while back. Judging by what I’ve gathered from your previous postings these are my recommendations.

The Black Company - The first three books (The books of the North) are great. I’d describe it as dark fantasy. It’s about a mercenary group that gets into some shit. The books aren’t too long and all three of them are good. The story continues past the three books, but they’re a stand alone story on their own.

The First Law - Three book stand alone series. It’s real gritty. Lots of violence. Really entertaining. Fun read.

The Dark Tower - 7 books, so it’s a bit more of a journey, but it’s Stephen King. It’s cool because he wrote the series over the course of his career (first book in 1982, final in 2004) so you can see him mature as a writer throughout the series. I’ll warn that it gets a bit tedious in the middle books, but that’s also when King was heavy into drugs, so it kinda makes sense. Overall a good read though.

The wheel of Time - its 14 fucking books, and they’re all pretty long. And it gets wayyyy up it’s own ass in the middle. It becomes a downright chore to get through at times. BUT, if you can get through it, it’s a good series. It took me over a year to power through. Was a weird feeling when it was finally over. I felt like Frodo after the destroying the ring. My advice is to listen to it on tape when you’re driving to work.

Mistborn series - I finished this recently. It’s three books and pretty good. Has a new interesting take on a magic system and overall the plot is good. Same author (brandon sanderson) also has a series called Stormlight Archive that I plan on reading next.

The Sword of Truth - I read the first one but never really got into it. It felt too “traditional”, if that makes sense. I was able to telegraph the upcoming plot. But people like it, so I should go back and give it another go.

Malazaan Book of the Fallen - This is a rad series, but it’s hard to get into. Took me a few tries, and I haven't finished it. It throws you into the middle of a complex story and you just gotta roll with it and accept that for a while you’re going to be real confused. Some people love it, some hate it.

Bardp1999
01-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Best fantasy series going right now is Brandon Sandersons 'The Storm Light Archives'. There are currently 4 books released with 10 planned, so once you read the first 4 you will have something to look forward to every 1.5-2 years.

Book 4 just came out and I am in the middle of it (got it for xmas) and its not disappointing me at all

I read a lot and I cant speak highly enough about The Storm Light Archives - But whatever you do DO NOT start reading fucking Wheel of Time - it's pretty dated by today's standards.

And even though you have probably seen the show, Game of Throne are fantastic books that I really enoyed

Philistine
01-09-2021, 08:04 PM
The Stormlight Archive books! 4th one came out just a couple of months ago.

Edit: I just read Bardp1999's post...I concur re: Stormlight archive :) I'm about halfway through the 4th too :)

Tunabros
01-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Stormlight Archive is pretty good yah

though I only read the first one

Old_PVP
01-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Night Angel Trilogy

https://i.imgur.com/hx0yltw.jpeg

Horus Heresy series

https://i.imgur.com/M0cqwCb.jpg

magnetaress
01-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Sword of Truth is fairly predictable for like the first four books. But it'd make a sick EQ clone.

Gustoo
01-09-2021, 08:17 PM
I mean the hobbit and lord of the rings shit all over these books

I would say nine princes in amber which is a bit of a hybrid. I don’t recommend the second amber series but the first is choice.

I like there will be dragons but the author basically sucks the book just has a great premise all Everquest guys will enjoy it

Jack of shadows stand alone by roger zelazny is one of my all time favorites

Glory road by Robert Heinlein is another one I love

A wizard of earth sea is totally lovely the whole series is really great. Not lord of the rings wannabe which makes it great

Wheel of time kinda is garbage but can be fun. The author has clearly never seen a woman so the parts from ladies perspective are really brutal. Still fun if you just want a long ass story

The mega asshole writer of “wise mans fear” is trying to make a tv series and is dragging the story out infinitely. Not an epic style book but fun fantasy esque. It just pulls out all the stops to try to get you hooked like a TV show. I begrudgedly enjoyed these though. Probably will never be concluded

magnetaress
01-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Dragons of Pern. Good individually at random.

And the Pride of Chanur. An epic fantasy style space opera.

Bardp1999
01-09-2021, 08:19 PM
I read the Night Angel books - they are good

Just stay away from Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of The Fallen

Another really good series is the King Killer Chronicles -there are 2 books with a 3rd coming out shortly and I think they are making a movie or a Netflix series about the books so it will be cool to be able to see it on TV also

Gustoo
01-09-2021, 08:19 PM
I would say read lord of the rings 3x then read the zelazny books and glory road then do stormlight which I’ve heard great things about also. Skip wheel of time TBH it’s a blatant Lotr counterfeit but does get fun anyways though never half as deep as even the hobbit

Mblake81
01-09-2021, 08:27 PM
Sword of Truth by Terry goodkind,

start with wizards first rule

https://i.imgur.com/1sf5SsF.jpg

such a good damn series, every book

The original Everquest connection here is that Keith Parkinson, EQ's cover artist (https://www.keithparkinson.com/product-category/sold-sketches/), worked with Mr. Goodkind.

Link (https://www.keithparkinson.com/product/wizards-first-rule-giclee/)

nostalgiaquest
01-10-2021, 03:40 AM
Another really good series is the King Killer Chronicles -there are 2 books with a 3rd coming out shortly and I think they are making a movie or a Netflix series about the books so it will be cool to be able to see it on TV also

Is the third book actually coming out shortly? Feel like i've been hearing that for the last 5 years. Refuse to start the series until the third ones out.

Tunabros
01-10-2021, 04:20 AM
any fans of the Dark Tower by Stephen King?

not really a fantasy but its pretty cool

Arvan
01-10-2021, 05:03 AM
Look into David Gemmell.

He passed away in 2006 but he wrote many amazing fantasy series. Like 20 books or something crazy I've almost read them all.

Foxplay
01-10-2021, 05:25 AM
Thanquol Books (Ombibus)

(books in the omnibus)
Grey Seer
Temple of the Serpant
Thanquol's Doom

+

Headtaker

I really liked reading these (not only because I am a dirty skaven lover) but because unlike most fantasy books it is from a very interesting perspective for majority of the books. That being the perspective of a mostly non-human characters. Other fantasy books even from the perspective as elves , dwarves etc the characters act almost completely human like, in the dialogue mannerisms, and how they view and interact with the world the book paints the characters into

Not so with these books. The drastic change of getting a perspective of the world from something that doesn't think like a human or a short stout human, or a human with pointy ears, was really refreshing and enjoyable

Granted these are Warhammer books so if you are not into warhammer and all its sillyness might not be good books for you

Yes-Yes!

budz2112
01-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Foundation series, from Isaac Asimov.

It fits the current trend of humanity as well. Best books I have ever read

Knuckle
01-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Hail! I am looking for some recommendations for a good fantasy book series. I was on a science fiction binge for a while, and am about done with the Dune trilogy. I am now in the mood for some high adventure and sorcery! I have read the Lord of the Rings and the Children of Huron too recently for a revisit, and I am looking for something of that ilk that I haven’t checked out. Anybody have any suggestions?

R.A. Salvatore is a highly respected fantasy author, if you start with a book called Homeland it should hook you, if that book doesn't win you over nothing else in his series will. I believe his depiction of dark elves expanded the lore for them in DND significantly at the time(80s/early 90s).

Majority of the series(40+ books now i think?) is good, some feel a bit fillerish, but majority of them have great fight scenes, character development, and pacing. I'm extremely biased as this book was my introduction into reading fantasy at age 10, and neverstopped, i've slowed down many years, but keep buying his latest works.
Additionally, he has alternate fantasy series that are top notch completely unrelated to this dark elf saga.

Dragonlance Had some fantastic series: The dragons of autumn twilight, winters solstice, spring dawning, etc... But their BEST series, by far, is the one that focus on "twin" brothers:

Mblake81
01-10-2021, 09:36 PM
If you like dark elves but don't care for Drizzt,

Cover art by Gerald Brom (https://www.bromart.com/).

https://i.imgur.com/UEn1H7e.jpg

Tunabros
01-10-2021, 10:32 PM
Discworld by Terry Pratchet was pretty good

has a ton of books and all very enjoyable to read

Mblake81
01-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Came in the mail today,

https://i.imgur.com/poBCr4u.jpg

-TK-
01-12-2021, 06:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Dragonlance series Knuckle mentioned. Read through most of them multiple times over the years.

DoodyLich666
01-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. A lot of these sound interesting, and I have been looking into them. Some co workers of mine have also talked The Stormlight Archives, and some friends have also hyped me up on Wizard of Earth Sea. So I will probably be giving one of those a wack soon. I knew my forumquest pals were the ones to help me in my quest.

magnetaress
01-12-2021, 08:14 PM
I actually preferred to sequels to the Dragonlance books. That takes place after the grey gem thing and the mages are like no longer a thing. Sorta. When they face the chaos God. I can't remember.

Both trilogies r really good tho.

Washburne
01-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Echoing everyone who's recommended Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive. Probably your best option for an ongoing fantasy series. I think Rothfuss (Name of the Wind, etc.,) is the best active fantasy writer, but he's painfully slow and Sanderson is an absolute machine. Theres new Cosmere content all the damn time. Dunno how that guy writes so much.

Regarding The Kingkiller Chronicle:
Is the third book actually coming out shortly? Feel like i've been hearing that for the last 5 years. Refuse to start the series until the third ones out.

No, probably not. (https://winteriscoming.net/2020/12/04/patrick-rothfuss-explains-why-the-doors-of-stone-taking-long-write/) I recommend reading the first two books anyway.

Other good series that I don't think were mentioned:
- Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Stavely
- Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch
- Lightbringer by Brent Weeks

Wheel of Time sucks. Sword of Truth sucks. The Drizzt books (at least the first few that I've read) were actually pretty good / a lot better than I expected them to be.

Washburne
01-14-2021, 03:55 PM
Oh, and if you want something a little more challenging try The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Strangest thing I've ever read. His short Wizard Knight series is pretty fun, too.

brystle
01-14-2021, 04:25 PM
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

Fantastic story of heroes that retired, and have to get the band back together one last time.

Awesome mix of comedy and drama...you feel nostalgic for these characters that must've had an awesome history together.

It has a sequel: Bloody Rose

~Caliwynd

srgraham69
01-14-2021, 08:09 PM
the chorus of dragons series by jenn lyons is also a really good newer series

DeathsSilkyMist
01-14-2021, 10:48 PM
I really enjoyed the Wheel of Time. It is a great series if you like a ton of detail and side stories. It gives the series a lot of re-readability. It can get silly at times for some people with how Robert Jordan portrays the female characters, but I thought it was fun lol. I do agree with the opinion that the series drags a bit in the middle. Books 7, 8, and 9 are the low points. Not bad books by any means, but you can feel the difference between them and the first six. It is definitely worth powering through, however, as the rest of the books after 9 are great.

I enjoyed the first book of The Stormlight Archive when it came out, but I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the series. I like Sanderson quite a bit, who also finished the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away.

EDIT: Glad to see people mentioned the Horus Heresy series. Warhammer 40k is a great universe to get into. It is somewhat unique in how the power scales of the warring factions are so extreme that nothing really feels out of place, like many other series. It is a great space fantasy series, and a good way to start in the massive universe that is Warhammer 40k.

Knuckle
01-15-2021, 12:07 PM
I actually preferred to sequels to the Dragonlance books. That takes place after the grey gem thing and the mages are like no longer a thing. Sorta. When they face the chaos God. I can't remember.

Both trilogies r really good tho.

Yeah summerflame is great, just wasn't a big fan of the series past that series, to me that was "the end" as I really enjoy dieties in that world.

Mblake81
01-15-2021, 12:22 PM
https://www.tor.com/2012/04/20/a-darrell-k-sweet-wheel-of-time-tribute-including-a-memory-of-light-sketch/

Izmael
01-15-2021, 04:23 PM
Dorian Hawkmoon series
Elric series

alexdoofaz
01-15-2021, 04:45 PM
I remember in high school I liked the dark elf trilogy by RA Salvatore

FatherSioux
01-15-2021, 06:20 PM

It fits the current trend of humanity as well. Best books I have ever read

Amazing that I hadn't seen this mentioned until page 3.

Jibartik
01-15-2021, 06:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Cx48qgv.png

Arteker
01-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Thanquol Books (Ombibus)

(books in the omnibus)
Grey Seer
Temple of the Serpant
Thanquol's Doom

+

Headtaker

I really liked reading these (not only because I am a dirty skaven lover) but because unlike most fantasy books it is from a very interesting perspective for majority of the books. That being the perspective of a mostly non-human characters. Other fantasy books even from the perspective as elves , dwarves etc the characters act almost completely human like, in the dialogue mannerisms, and how they view and interact with the world the book paints the characters into

Not so with these books. The drastic change of getting a perspective of the world from something that doesn't think like a human or a short stout human, or a human with pointy ears, was really refreshing and enjoyable

Granted these are Warhammer books so if you are not into warhammer and all its sillyness might not be good books for you

Yes-Yes!
Gotrek and felix by william king.
skarnisk, Guy Haley.
queek is a great book but skarnisk is wayyy superior .

Washburne
01-16-2021, 01:56 AM
"Originally Posted by budz2112 View Post

It fits the current trend of humanity as well. Best books I have ever read"

Amazing that I hadn't seen this mentioned until page 3.

Foundation is about as good as science fiction gets, but we're talking about fantasy. I brought up Book of the New Sun, which kinda straddles the line, but still fits.

But yeah, if you wanna expand the topic to science fiction definitely read Foundation.