PDA

View Full Version : No alts, one character only.

Ennewi
01-04-2021, 09:26 PM
Leave race/deity and reasons in the comments.

Gustoo
01-04-2021, 09:26 PM
Gotta re roll with a poll man!

Ennewi
01-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Gotta re roll with a poll man!

Copy/pasting 14 options takes time, sooner!

magnetaress
01-04-2021, 09:32 PM
Voted ranger cuz they are sorta like healers, help newbs, wizards. They lack a pet though. And I always end up rolling a melee after hitting 60.

wwoneo
01-05-2021, 03:36 AM
Voted necromancer. They're the strongest versatile class. They can solo or group well. They farm well. They level well, and they're not expensive to level.

MarauderOHHYEAH
01-05-2021, 08:52 AM
When I rolled on p99 I chose enchanter... best first class imo... hardest caster to master but by far the highest ceiling for xp/farming

elwing
01-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Human 60 raid sk, that's my only char atm

mcoy
01-05-2021, 10:15 AM
First char is always a human cleric. Virtually everyone wants a rez eventually.

-Mcoy

jolanar
01-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Monk. Because melee and need to be able to solo.

Although I would probably get bored of the game if I couldn't have any alts.

Tunabros
01-05-2021, 12:41 PM
lol so many enchanters

my favorite class are paladins, then enchanters, then shadowknights

all humans, of course!

human master race!

Twochain
01-05-2021, 12:49 PM
If i'm starting from scratch, Enchanter. If i'm choosing between my own characters, my monk.

Snaggles
01-05-2021, 01:00 PM
I’m sticking paladin. I started off very casual (not even grouping) wanting an underdog class; as weird and rare as possible so went with an erudite and promptly bought a shield of the stalwart seas. Was surprised how solo capable and handy it was for teamwork later. I had a sk on live and loved that too.

For me being a less popular class is actually a huge draw. I have a 59 shaman and almost no desire to play it. Go figure, I’d rather struggle to kill greens than solo dragons :)

PS: loving my 56 mage at the moment. This poll might cement that.

Gozuk
01-05-2021, 02:01 PM
WOOD ELF RANGER

Jibartik
01-05-2021, 02:10 PM
I think for me it'd have to be Monk.

I love enchanter most, but gearing them is no fun at all IMO. I think they are basically BIS by level 45 on their own, and everything else is a diminishing return bonus.

But monks want gear all the way to the end of velious, and they feel like melee enchanters to me half the time, manipulating the mechanics to cheat/break the game and get the phat lewts.

So its got a bit of both of the things I love, loot & utility.

Maybe an SK or Paly though, because they look magical and I might envy that magical look dressed in the hodge podge of graphics a monk has to work with. Although human/de BIS kunark monks look coooool except for the no glove graphic (puke!)

conoutoftrol
01-05-2021, 03:31 PM
Necromancer:
Fun to play in raids, group, and solo. Easy to gear can rez myself etc.

Ennewi
01-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Chose bard for versatility. One play session can vary greatly from the next, with several overlapping roles to fill across all but the earliest levels, depending on the zone layout and group makeup.

Not a long list of definitive gear upgrades beyond lute, drum, and epic, but it does have the most options to be preoccupied with in terms of fashionquest, having access to all armor types and numerous race illusion masks to achieve the right look. Receives OT hammer for the price of a single jade. Able to pass through Siren's Grotto unmolested. No one asks for buffs or mistakes you for another class that buffs, and yet most everyone wants you in their group.

It would have been a nice finishing touch to the class if instruments were also craftable, but then the original devs likely would have made each capable of breaking, like fishing poles, and if not that than needing to be restringed (along with bows) and then tuned. A little too immersive maybe.

Sunderfury
01-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Troll SK (Inny). Last played on live and I liked the class, but never rolled on P99. Thought it would be cool to do some cool stuff like solo bust into hate/fear and find a little spot to pull and kill a few mobs to and be a badass. Seems a pretty diverse class and I don't care much for raiding.

Jibartik
01-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Troll SK (Inny). Last played on live and I liked the class, but never rolled on P99. Thought it would be cool to do some cool stuff like solo bust into hate/fear and find a little spot to pull and kill a few mobs to and be a badass. Seems a pretty diverse class and I don't care much for raiding.

Troll SK is a good choice cus its a long hard road.

For 1 character, I think the longest, hardest road is ideal.

Tunabros
01-05-2021, 03:57 PM
I would go druid if I had a manastone

-heals
-travel
-dots/nukes

cant use manastone in new worlds? no problem

just port to WC ring, use it, and gate back

Gustoo
01-05-2021, 04:02 PM
I like a lot of classes and really don't know.

But I picked druid.

Shaman and Necro second choices. Being a normal solo class means I can enjoy the game in a lot of ways. Druid won because I can give skin like nature to noobs and make them win at life for long play times.

Cleric also on the list

But so are all melees especially hybrids. Paladin, SK, Ranger, Rogue, Warrior, Monk

I like all the classes quite a bit.

feniin
01-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Ranger always.

Twochain
01-05-2021, 04:15 PM

My troll sk twink was amazing. solo'd 4-5 blue guards in hhk no problem. I would have leveled him to 60 if i didn't realize halfway through 40s that he essentially did the same thing as my monk, but worse (on raids). One of the most fun dungeon crawling classes for sure though.

Tunabros
01-05-2021, 05:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/hY9dtmM.png

the race will always be human for me no matter what class (except shaman/paladin)

for the paladin, I always go half-elf as it was my first toon on live

Crede
01-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Paladin.

Best hybrid spellset, can chill on raids and get geared up fast, can group with any class, and can do some crazy solo stuff with their OP heal & rez at 59. Enchanter probably a close 2nd but casters are just so boring to gear on this server imo.

Best post I've ever seen on these forums which happens to be about paladins: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108428

White_knight
01-05-2021, 05:47 PM
I would still roll a Paladin - ALWAYS BE ROLLING YOUR FAVORITE CLASS.

Now knowing that community stigma against them is fairly off base and they are actually a really good soloer classes in terms of the melee classes to choose from (2nd Best class behind monk's IMHO).

If I was forced to play any other class though I would roll a Ranger or Shadowknight.

Master Roshi
01-05-2021, 06:05 PM
voted Necro, but wanted to vote shaman. Both are the best options for solo, farming and high end shenanigans.

Danth
01-05-2021, 06:11 PM
ALWAYS BE ROLLING YOUR FAVORITE CLASS.

Yep, good advice worth repeating. "Best" theoretical choice does no good for the player who's quit because he doesn't like it and lost interest. I'd most likely still go with the shadow knight since it does everything I reasonably expect it to do; alternate choice might be a paladin if the wife were to pick something like enchanter that the SK doesn't duo with very well. Shadow knight and paladin are the only two classes in this game I truly enjoy playing for any real length of time.

I find it peculiar you assess the Paladin as between the monk and shadow knight for solo capability. That's interesting. In ordinary equipment the monk and SK are already so nearly equal in solo-ability that it feels like splitting hairs. I'd like to see some commentary on your assessment there; PM is fine too if you don't want to knock the main thread off-topic.

Danth

Ret.SaxonAlex
01-05-2021, 08:29 PM
I picked paladin.

I wanted to pick shadowknight

but I had to think of in a 1,000,000 timeline.

I've done this before lol...

"What if I can play EQ forever but can only pick 3 classes!"

Ravager
01-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Played a Wood Elf Rogue primarily back in 99-04ish before I quit. So that's the most nostalgic for me, which is the point of playing this server.

DoodyLich666
01-05-2021, 11:25 PM
A lot of positive paladin reviews. That is one of the only classes I have not tried yet. It never even crossed my mind to make one. I guess I have a negative opinion about them from d&d, but it seems like I should probably roll one up eventually.

Tunabros
01-05-2021, 11:41 PM
A lot of positive paladin reviews. That is one of the only classes I have not tried yet. It never even crossed my mind to make one. I guess I have a negative opinion about them from d&d, but it seems like I should probably roll one up eventually.

Try it. It's my favorite class too as it was my very first toon on blue (half elf paladin

named Subwen!) and on live.

Tunabros
01-05-2021, 11:47 PM
also surprised to see only 1 vote (as of today) on magician,

they're everywhere on green, but that's probably because of plane of sky etc

Gustoo
01-06-2021, 12:59 PM

It goes in waves from hybrids being useless trashcans to them being great.

XeroKill
01-07-2021, 01:13 PM
For me it has to be Rogue. Probably Dwarf or Barbarian. I like the idea of Dwarf most because they have a comparable starting STR to Barbarian, and they don't have an illusion. Plus BARREL ROLL!

I like the tools they have and I like the fact that they aren't called upon to do anything but make things into corpses and drag corpses. I don't spend entire raids constantly dealing with buff requests. If the raid wipes it is almost certainly not going to be blamed on me unless I do something exceedingly stupid. I spent far too many years playing classes like Shaman, Cleric, and Enchanter... and UGH I hate getting tells for buffs!

https://i.imgur.com/oYg74RB.jpg

You can never have too many Rogues because more DPS is always good. Being able to stroll through any zone I like is very appealing.

The ONLY part I don't like about them is being group reliant. I do enjoy being able to solo, whether for XP or Loot, and that just isn't in the cards for a Rogue.

Vexenu
01-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Voted Magician. Strong soloer. Strong grouper. Always useful on raids for CoTH, mod rods and pet DPS when applicable. And long term you have the best epic in the game to look forward to. All this while requiring the lowest APM/clicks of any class. Take the Mage pill, friends.

Duane
01-07-2021, 08:43 PM
My rogue has an entire social page filled with /tt buff requests. Rarely do I even have to type at a raid.

ScottBerta
01-08-2021, 04:09 AM
Ogre Shaman.

Option to full group, solo or duo. Higher lvl has huge ceiling with slow/torpor.

For race I go Ogre (base hp/mana) stun immunity, but can’t go wrong with troll or iksar either.

Another bonus: Shaman can be an expensive class, so not having any alts would only enable you to get the expensive spells and items to truly pimp out your shaman.

Evia
01-16-2021, 10:12 AM
Definitely Rogue as it's my favorite class.

Maybe half elf if I had to do it over again.

Stonewallx39
01-16-2021, 04:44 PM
Human monk. It just feels right

YendorLootmonkey
01-16-2021, 06:54 PM
Half elf ranger. Third time playing one at this point. Never had any alts.

Toxigen
01-16-2021, 08:14 PM
The 3 answers are Shaman, Enchanter, and Necro.

Issar
01-17-2021, 08:44 PM
I never played a bard in the classic era, or at all really until a few years ago on P99. The versatility they offer is unparalleled in this game and as a previous poster mentioned, they have high FQ. To that point, if I'm limited to one char forever, they are hands down my pick.

Hisamori
01-17-2021, 10:32 PM
To solo level: Necro
To duo level: Enchanter
To solo at 60: Enchanter
To solo at 60 with full kit: Shaman or Monk
To explore: Monk

Overall: Enchanter or monk

raski
01-17-2021, 10:45 PM
Iksar monk cazic-thule

*regen
*AC bonus
*FR bonus
*swim 100
*forage
*tail
*best starting and leveling area
*FD
*DPS
*FTEs
*YMCA
*soloability
* fun and obtainable epic
*not blind at night
*Master Race
*cheap to gear/twink
* Tstaff/fungi
*best pulls in game
* mend
*BW 70% at 50
* empty hands are deadly weapon
*sneak
*dont need faction with FD and sneak
*great addition to any group
*and i could keep going but i wont thank you for your time

Ennewi
01-18-2021, 07:46 AM
Iksar monk cazic-thule

*regen
*AC bonus
*FR bonus
*swim 100
*forage
*tail
*best starting and leveling area
*FD
*DPS
*FTEs
*YMCA
*soloability
* fun and obtainable epic
*not blind at night
*Master Race
*cheap to gear/twink
* Tstaff/fungi
*best pulls in game
* mend
*BW 70% at 50
* empty hands are deadly weapon
*sneak
*dont need faction with FD and sneak
*great addition to any group
*and i could keep going but i wont thank you for your time

Most dramatic feign death animation.
Coolest swimming animation.
Attempts at roleplay only require that extra S's be added onto wordss.
Four newbie yards, with at least one having enough mobs to sustain multiple groups.

Malik_Gynax
01-18-2021, 02:24 PM
Druid's the best experience I've had on this server. I would play it again.

If we're talking a server where everyone can only have one character, then ESPECIALLY druid. I would never be out of work.

Fabby
01-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Going Necro. Played every class except tanks to high level. Necro has ton of tools to help most situations. Rez/FD/selfheal/DAs/heal/dps/train/kite/petwalk list goes on.

FatBalloon2
01-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Necro.

Can solo, group, heal, rez, have a pet, bind sight, feign death, nuke, dot, distribute mana and always has clarity.

....also, has some awesome clickies.

Allishia
01-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Dark elf war /nod

Bluedarksun
01-19-2021, 12:19 PM
Paladin was my first choice on Live since who doesn't love heroes and chivalry and always doing good? I soloed him to 49 with the exp penalty in place, and was disappointed when I found out their only purpose is too eat death touches. Bard would be second because of the fun factor. Fun. Very fun class to play.

Gustoo
01-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Today my top pick would be a druid still. Because when you're just tooling around the game with a druid you can do most stuff, and you can help people out more than most classes. Dropping natureskin or skin like nature is basically an automatic PL for any lowbie, and well, its pretty nice. Its fun to be other classes but in the end being a druid felt really right back on blue 99 a billion years ago.