PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft Edge actually better performing than Chrome now?

Knuckle
12-27-2020, 03:15 AM
I've noticed on several websites now I am just getting signficantly better performance on Microsoft Edge. I've ran across this 3 seperate times in the last week where I ran a web page on Edge, and all elements loaded and scrolled better and snappier. In my mind Chrome would stay on top forever, and maybe this was just flukes?

Tunabros
12-27-2020, 04:09 AM
I like it but chrome is my childhood

anyone remember playing Angry Birds on it?

Jimjam
12-27-2020, 04:19 AM
Despite essentially being little more than a reskin of Chrome Edge is far better.

Chrome idling unused RAM is a nice idea, but it seems to have a flawed implementation and can’t dump that RAN quickly when it is required for an active task. Ms doesn’t seem to do this and seems to run more smoothly. I’m not using high end machines, just laptops with up to 16 gig ram.

magnetaress
12-27-2020, 10:53 AM
chrome is a disaster but i don't want to diss it, i still use it because i don't want to transition to edge

that said chrome may be slightly more secure

edge and all microsoft stuff been edging into my taskbar lately without my consent

I miss old KDE and Nautilus, again to tired, dead, lazy to install anything or do VMs. Gonna stick with EQ + chrome for p99

would make sense to browse other sites in edge tho, sometimes chrome/eq get wierd especially on media heavy sites that require video acceleration or encoding/decoding? it gets wierd in chrome for sure

Trazic
12-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Chrome has never really been good. Only popular.

Personally I use Firefox.

Knuckle
12-27-2020, 12:44 PM
chrome is a disaster but i don't want to diss it, i still use it because i don't want to transition to edge

that said chrome may be slightly more secure

edge and all microsoft stuff been edging into my taskbar lately without my consent

I miss old KDE and Nautilus, again to tired, dead, lazy to install anything or do VMs. Gonna stick with EQ + chrome for p99

would make sense to browse other sites in edge tho, sometimes chrome/eq get wierd especially on media heavy sites that require video acceleration or encoding/decoding? it gets wierd in chrome for sure

not a bad dad pun, but a bit in your face eh?

Im kinda with you though, it's hard to change, I basically remember giving up microsoft explorer for chrome like 15+ years ago and was like, yeah google is focused on end user experience. Plus with Gmail basically being the standard and googles fingers in the everyday apps, you feel like you should be able to trust it to stay on top. But I am beginning to think I need to move to Edge.

Gravydoo II
12-27-2020, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. Im going to try it. Firefox is ok but less ram is better.

mcoy
12-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Are you using the new Chromium-based Edge? That may explain your experience.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium-0f4a3dd7-55df-60f5-739f-00010dba52cf

-Mcoy

Nuggie
12-27-2020, 01:16 PM
i have brand loyalty to the bone. I didn't give up IE until about 9 years ago. Chrome was amazingly faster at that point.

Is the jump to Edge going to be that much of a difference or only a slight difference?

Knuckle
12-27-2020, 01:18 PM
i have brand loyalty to the bone. I didn't give up IE until about 9 years ago. Chrome was amazingly faster at that point.

Is the jump to Edge going to be that much of a difference or only a slight difference?

i pulled the trigger and imported my bookmarks to see if any QoL drops after using for the next week or so. Once i signed into my regular bookmark apps(p99, twitch, youtube, gmail) they are all running quite a bit more smoothly it feels. And I would say the optimization for several other sites I've been to have been glaring, will have to test and feel it out.

Izmael
12-27-2020, 01:31 PM
I'd rather have my data snooped on by Google than by Microsoft.

Not that Google is any less evil than MS by now, but I put more trust in G to not to leak my data due to incompetence than in M.

BarnabusCollins
12-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Microsoft Edge is like Windows - waaaay too bulky for what it has to do.

imperiouskitten
12-27-2020, 02:50 PM
I'd rather have my data snooped on by Google than by Microsoft.

Not that Google is any less evil than MS by now, but I put more trust in G to not to leak my data due to incompetence than in M.
ya butt microsoft is already sn00ping your data through the OS, so if you use edge you are ackchyually leaking it into one less pool.

we are all way older than u *pats*

is angry birds old?

imperiouskitten
12-27-2020, 02:51 PM

chrome was definitely good around its release, 2009 was it? when firefox had a major memory leak problem and would leave me every morning with a wacked out PC. Chrome still handles tab abusers like me way better, putting tabs into suspend to protect memory usage, while firefox will let me tab myself into oblivion on 64gb even if the tab is 10 days old. But I use firefox now cuz i know how to do fancy things on it in linux.

Izmael
12-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Using Firefox always felt to me like trying to swim in mud, in your sleep. So freaking laggy.

Chrome, on the other hand, was snappy from the beginning. I started using it the very day it was released (back in 1936?) and never looked back.

Prior to Chrome I used Opera. I actually like Opera's mouse gestures very much, never found an good enough equivalent for Chrome/ium.

Nowadays, Chrome arguably uses way too much resources. Still feels fast though.
Not being able to use adblockers in Android's Chrome though forces me to use Android Firefox for things like Youtube or ad-heavy websites. I can't stand Youtube ads. Each time I hear "sure, skip this ad like you skipped on Amazon's stock" etc, I want to rip my guts out with a rusty corkscrew.

Evia
12-27-2020, 06:29 PM

BarnabusCollins
12-27-2020, 06:53 PM

In my childhood there was no internet and few had PCs.
You either played outside, watched tv, played Nintendo, or watched a VCR movie.

Nuggie
12-27-2020, 08:43 PM
In my childhood there was no internet and few had PCs.
You either played outside, watched tv, played Nintendo, or watched a VCR movie.

Children that grew up in the 80's were known for their drug use habits and mass spread of STD's.

@knuckle - elf-pal I'm going to be checking back for updates. Don't let me down.

Gravydoo II
12-27-2020, 09:56 PM
imagine being a child when angry birds came out... sorry you got the shit end of the stick. =[

douglas1999
12-27-2020, 10:06 PM
More like microsoft edging

Thulian
12-27-2020, 10:25 PM
i think it has more to do with visiting a site more then once for caching, edge is definitley slower

you should not be browsing that way anyway, its all about security and pages looking right

if all you care about is speed there are other faster browsers that do a shitty job

Lune
01-08-2021, 11:17 PM
Been trying out Edge because chrome has been so bad about hogging all my potato's RAM. I badly need to upgrade. It's been doing a little bit better, just barely noticeable performance increase when I'm capping my RAM usage, but what's the deal with this shit?

https://i.imgur.com/utzXM5q.jpg

33 instances of edge when I only have 4 tabs open. Also annoyed that it defaults to Bing search engine and I'm not sure how to make it default to google without visiting google for every search.

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 12:36 AM
why are u trying out edge goofy. just make a premie withdrawal from the trust, tell your dad you really need it for school

Jibartik
01-09-2021, 01:36 AM
Chrome frustrates me sometimes, is it true>?> a real competitor?

Also annoyed that it defaults to Bing search engine and I'm not sure how to make it default to google without visiting google for every search.

This was my instant exit after I first tried it when they forced it on me.

mcoy
01-09-2021, 03:07 AM
Also annoyed that it defaults to Bing search engine and I'm not sure how to make it default to google without visiting google for every search.

Go to the site you want to be your default i.e https://www.google.com

Then go here:

Settings > Advanced > Change Search Provider (at the bottom)

-Mcoy

Tunabros
01-09-2021, 03:55 AM
microsoft keeps annoying me to try it out and I got to admit its not bad

though I still like chrome but feel that edge will be better eventually

Knuckle
01-09-2021, 12:03 PM
i gave edge a shot and it would randomly lag out fk it back with chrome again.

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 02:57 PM
you ppl are literally insane, using microsoft to edge ?? get a good woman

Lune
01-09-2021, 03:15 PM
you ppl are literally insane, using microsoft to edge ?? get a good woman

my pc literally can't handle chrome at this point lol. Edge seems to do a little better with RAM usage on the tabs you have open, especially when you switch back over to them after a period of inactivity (like playing a memory intensive game and periodically looking something up on the other monitor).

putting together a new one though

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 04:56 PM
my pc literally can't handle chrome at this point lol. Edge seems to do a little better with RAM usage on the tabs you have open, especially when you switch back over to them after a period of inactivity (like playing a memory intensive game and periodically looking something up on the other monitor).

putting together a new one though

so you are avidly gaming on such a potato that you have to use MS Edge??

Lune, are you poor?

magnetaress
01-09-2021, 04:57 PM
there's no reason to play titanium on anything better than windows 98 and a celeron with a 32mb graphics card.

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 04:59 PM
it fun to do bad thangs. and drive into a car

Lune
01-09-2021, 05:18 PM
so you are avidly gaming on such a potato that you have to use MS Edge??

Lune, are you poor?

I mainly play older games or games that don't emphasize graphics and aren't as hardware intensive, so I simply haven't felt the need to upgrade my PC in some time. Lately I've been playing something more demanding. Plus my setup is old and I think my hard drive is starting to fail.

While I'm not poor, I'm also not materialistic and need relatively little when it comes to material things. Women have always found that revolting and was lucky to find one (also rich) that doesn't. The best use for money is to buy freedom and liberation from wage slavery, not trinkets. Also experiences.

That being said, these RTX 3070 cards are looking awfully sexy.

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 05:20 PM
I mainly play older games or games that don't emphasize graphics and aren't as hardware intensive, so I simply haven't felt the need to upgrade my PC in some time. Lately I've been playing something more demanding. Plus my setup is old and I think my hard drive is starting to fail.

While I'm not poor I'm also not materialistic and need relatively little when it comes to material things. The best use for money is to buy freedom and liberation from wage slavery, not trinkets. Also experiences.

That being said, these RTX 3070 cards are looking awfully sexy.

u are so insecure :p

but anyway, experiences i pay for: not using MS edge, ever. $800 box every 5 years plus a card :p

Lune
01-09-2021, 05:24 PM
u are so insecure :p

Why do you say that?

For all my negative qualities I never figured myself insecure.

imperiouskitten
01-09-2021, 05:27 PM
Why do you say that?

because your response is very explanatory which could be construed as defensiveness. I am merely being jocular

branamil
02-06-2021, 11:12 PM
google has stopped trying to make chrome faster, they're only focused on directing all traffic back to their ads. Firefox is already better and edge is almost better and might overtake it soon. couldn't have imagined that a few years ago

Boptop
02-06-2021, 11:20 PM
......safari

Swish
02-07-2021, 12:09 AM
Firefox has never been bad to me. Until it does something overwhelmingly awful I'm sticking with it.

Swish
02-07-2021, 12:10 AM
there's no reason to play titanium on anything better than windows 98 and a celeron with a 32mb graphics card.

Imagine the security issues for people using win98 these days.

TomisFeline
02-07-2021, 06:21 AM
nerds,

edge is now chromium based
which is also the ancestor to chrome, and Google's open sourced browser.

there may be some a selection and confirmation bias going on with speed here. just look up some results instead of guessing on your browsers mouthfeel:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2020/01/15/browser-benchmark-battle-january-2020-chrome-firefox-edge-brave/amp/

chrome remains the Superior browser by far in my opinion as a web developer, and continues to lead the browser market. they proved that long ago and have continued to be the most progressive Browser ever since.

https://images.app.goo.gl/1U2CNCaXX8XuZ89s5

Firefox and brave are doing some interesting stuff, but still not at the quality of chrome. edge is a reskinned version of chrome now with the adoption of chromium and unless you can identify and need something specific it offers I can't recommend it over chrome.

TomisFeline
02-07-2021, 06:23 AM
(look at the actual results there - the gaps between each - and not o ly the number of tests each one won before making up your mind!)