PDA

View Full Version : Good Books thread

Tunabros
12-15-2020, 01:17 AM
Anyone got any favorite books or books they always go back to every now and then

I remember when I was a kid, I reread the entire Harry Potter series like 10 times

(best one is Order of Pheonix :p)

My favorite books are probably:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
-old gods fight against new gods; some dude gets caught in the middle of it and the

rest is history

1922 by Stephen King
- guy wants to kill his wife over some land; realizes he shouldn't have done it (also

a Netflix film if you prefer to watch instead of reading)

Alabama Moon by Watt Key
- A kid lives in Alaska with his dad because they think technology sucks etc,

one day his dad dies and now he has to relearn society

The Graduation of Jake moon by Barbara Park
-some kid has to take care of his Alzheimer grandpa (pretty sad story but good

ending!)

cd288
12-15-2020, 02:01 AM
I Am Pilgrim

Ghamarro
12-15-2020, 02:11 AM
Dune by Frank Herbert. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest sci-fi novel ever written and probably always will be. I'm really hoping the new movie adaption by Denis Villeneuve, set to come out in late 2021, will be more faithful to the source material than the one by David Lynch from 1984. That one had some really good stuff in it, but after the halfway point it started to diverge more and more into crazy David Lynchian stuff, which I did not enjoy one bit.

Tunabros
12-15-2020, 02:20 AM
Dune by Frank Herbert. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest sci-fi novel ever written and probably always will be. I'm really hoping the new movie adaption by Denis Villeneuve, set to come out in late 2021, will be more faithful to the source material than the one by David Lynch from 1984. That one had some really good stuff in it, but after the halfway point it started to diverge more and more into crazy David Lynchian stuff, which I did not enjoy one bit.

I found it very interesting!

the very first chapter where he makes him put his hand into that weird box got me

captivated

It's pretty complex but it's a nice story

douglas1999
12-15-2020, 02:54 AM
Not sure if we're talking fiction or non but the ones I think about the most often in no particular order:

Masters Of Doom by David Kushner (about id software's first 15 years essentially)

1984 by George Orwell (because obviously)

Authentically Black by John Mcwhorter (sociopolitical)

A Conflict Of Visions by Thomas Sowell (sociopolitical)

Jibartik
12-15-2020, 02:58 AM
this is my favorite book ever. I bought it on a trip to florida once and it randomly changed my life.

Ive since researched every nook about it and it's all blazingly true and a hyper detailed look behind the scenes of some the most powerful men in American history.

Its a biography of a 20 year old man, who tumbles through the most insane life along side Henry firestone, ford, and Edison, through the roaring 20s to turbulent 30s and through the world war.

And this dude, is just absolutely incredible. He is just the most humble, yet incredible person Ive ever read about. I cant recommend this book enough and I really feel like some of you would love it so Im eager to share it here!

https://i.imgur.com/mzu0rRB.png

BarnabusCollins
12-15-2020, 09:32 AM
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

The Holy Bible - The Greatest Story Ever Told

kjs86z
12-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

BiG SiP
12-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Neuromancer

charmcitysking
12-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut (and pretty much anything by Vonnegut).

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (yes, I know the movie sucked. The book rocks)

kjs86z
12-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

Tunabros
12-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut (and pretty much anything by Vonnegut).

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (yes, I know the movie sucked. The book rocks)

heh I love all Vonnegut books

slaughterhouse 5 got me thinking though

Cyrillious
12-15-2020, 12:51 PM
I'd recommend "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames. Good old fantasy romp centered around a bunch of ageing retired adventurers getting back into the swing of things...

Kinda like Project 1999....:)

Jibartik
12-15-2020, 01:45 PM
In Uncommon friends, henry firestone walks up to this 22 year old working on the the light fixtures during the 1910 recession

"hey are those your men putting in the light fixtures on the street?"

"Yep, is there a problem?"

"Yeah, where are you getting the money to pay them?"

"Well, we're trading favors, I promised the people I sold these houses that there would be working streetlights"

These people were just better people than we are.

These two men are known today as the problem with america.

magnetaress
12-15-2020, 01:56 PM
Frank Herbert and his sons, Dune and children of Dune etc... probably don't need to read the Bible if you read them.

Thulian
12-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Stephen king IT and Misery

also some john grisham books like the street lawyer

michael chricton has a few great books like airframe and the one with the brain on the cover

imperiouskitten
12-15-2020, 06:23 PM
its a good year to read william gibson i reckon

Gaxx
12-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Currently reading Passport to Magonia by Jacques Vallee

imperiouskitten
12-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

great book

HalflingSpergand
12-15-2020, 09:04 PM
Kings Dethroned - Gerrard Hickson

FatherSioux
12-16-2020, 09:08 AM
In Cold Blood
Crime and punishment
The Fountainhead
Lonesome Dove
The righteous mind
The coddling of the American mind
This way for the gas gentlemen
The Holy Bible

Tunabros
12-16-2020, 12:44 PM
In Uncommon friends, henry firestone walks up to this 22 year old working on the the light fixtures during the 1910 recession

"hey are those your men putting in the light fixtures on the street?"

"Yep, is there a problem?"

"Yeah, where are you getting the money to pay them?"

"Well, we're trading favors, I promised the people I sold these houses that there would be working streetlights"

These people were just better people than we are.

These two men are known today as the problem with america.

haha seems like a great book

think ill check it out :D

magnetaress
12-16-2020, 02:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qW1ni1l.jpg

Can't forget about this one, it's actually the best book I have ever read, even tho it's pure fiction ;p

https://www.google.com/search?q=contact+carl+sagan&source=lmns&tbm=shop&bih=879&biw=1338&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin7OOEldPtAhWCAlMKHQphBkgQ_AUoAXoECAEQA Q

worth a few pennies

Jibartik
12-16-2020, 03:32 PM
haha seems like a great book

think ill check it out :D

Its incredible!

There is an amazing part where he goes with firestone to meet with some other titans as his assistant, and he's not allowed in the room so he waits outside it with the other assistants and stuff. After they leave in the elevator firestone says "we're selling everything, right now, close it all before the morning"

The next day the stock market crashed. Firestone managed to cash out 6 million in liquid cash, that gave them a huge advantage and is what made that company what it is today.

There is no doubt in my mind those titans were part of the few cells of investors at the top that knew the crash happened the day(s) before they announced it. Pretty cool.

The story is full of amazing stuff like that.

imperiouskitten
12-16-2020, 06:11 PM
"aynnn rannnnnnnnddddd??" -whiny jew voice

"cmon man" -joe biden voice

Gwaihir
12-16-2020, 06:26 PM
I recommend the YouVersion bible app. It has hundreds of translations to choose from, and a verse comparison tool for cross-referencing multiple iterations of the same verse, as well as a "related" verse feature, for a diligent student of the Word to flesh out a more astute interpretation of the Holy text.

Warm Regards

charmcitysking
12-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Started re-reading the ASOIAF series. My interest in it had really dwindled in recent years, as waiting so long for Winds to come out.. However, after a few chapters of AGOT, I'm hooked again and already onto Clash of Kings.

There's a very cool reddit where the community is doing a re-read (I think a chapter every two or three days) and are posting discussion - can find here: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiafreread/

I'm obviously playing catch-up, but been very enjoyable to re-learn the theories, etc.

Abought56
12-17-2020, 09:07 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee