PDA

View Full Version : Wood workers, Widdlers, carpenters, scroll saw people.

Gravydoo II
12-14-2020, 06:21 PM
Anyone building anything cool??

Got some new tools you cant share with anyone cause nobody in your circle of friends can appreciate a jointer from 1954??

Post em here!

I wanna see!

Also looking for plans for a work bench I can drop my table saws into, making them an actual TABLE, then a saw.

imperiouskitten
12-14-2020, 06:22 PM
My dead head uncle is a jointer from 1954 does that count

Topgunben
12-14-2020, 06:30 PM
Anyone building anything cool??

Got some new tools you cant share with anyone cause nobody in your circle of friends can appreciate a jointer from 1954??

Post em here!

I wanna see!

Also looking for plans for a work bench I can drop my table saws into, making them an actual TABLE, then a saw.

I am going to build my house when I move away from here. I’m even going to do a block foundation so I can do it all myself.

It might take me a year, but I figured I could save upwards of 120,000 dollars.

imperiouskitten
12-14-2020, 06:32 PM
I am going to build my house when I move away from here. I’m even going to do a block foundation so I can do it all myself.

It might take me a year, but I figured I could save upwards of 120,000 dollars.

haha sugarplum clint eastwood yeoman dreams in my man's poor head

pray for his children-o-the-prairie

Fame
12-14-2020, 06:49 PM
I just got a grizzly 9” bandsaw for Christmas, pretty stoked about that. Picked up a jointer and planer last month. Waiting on a replacement blade elevator gear for a Bosch tablesaw I picked up for free last week. Seriously, the dude gave it away and the replacement part was $3.97 lol it’s about a $600 saw.

I’m in the process of doin the same thing. Table with a insert for the saw, thinkin about adding a lifting or capped miter saw station on the long side as well. 2 saw stations on one table would be pretty sweet. The jointer planer milling station was a big game changer for me.

Currently doing insulation work on my shop so it’s a hellhole atm but I’ll post picks after the holidays when I finish it. There are some old pics in the diy gardening etc thread

Gravydoo II
12-14-2020, 07:11 PM
I just got a grizzly 9” bandsaw for Christmas, pretty stoked about that. Picked up a jointer and planer last month. Waiting on a replacement blade elevator gear for a Bosch tablesaw I picked up for free last week. Seriously, the dude gave it away and the replacement part was $3.97 lol it’s about a $600 saw.

I’m in the process of doin the same thing. Table with a insert for the saw, thinkin about adding a lifting or capped miter saw station on the long side as well. 2 saw stations on one table would be pretty sweet. The jointer planer milling station was a big game changer for me.

Currently doing insulation work on my shop so it’s a hellhole atm but I’ll post picks after the holidays when I finish it. There are some old pics in the diy gardening etc thread

Oh mah gawd thats amazing. I frikken WISH someone would give me a decent saw. Does it have one of those sick beismeyer style fences on it?? I keep buying cheap ones from garage sales and they never end up being what I imagined... One has a warped table, one has warped guts inside which wont allow the blade to sit square..

You ever see those stations that have two in one? Like table saw ontop, undo the latch, the table flips over and boom chop saw or whatever else??

How does the bandsaw work for you?? I always wondered, ive never used one.. Like if you wanted to cut a 10mm by 10mm piece of whatever, how do you keep it from just, running wild and going all curvy?? I get that they have a fence but like.. meh. I think you get what I mean.

You aint kidding about getting a jointer. Shit changes the game. No more sanding saw marks like a peasant for hours. I'll still use my flat machine but only sparingly.. (the flat machine is sand paper glued to a sheet of glass lol)

I could post some pics of my stuff if anyone is interested. I'm not very accomplished just yet but the right tools makes shit a lot easier to become better.

Gravydoo II
12-14-2020, 07:38 PM
Check the sauce on this one. Going to pick it up tomorrow.. https://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_6FQ6E99kR0k_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Tunabros
12-14-2020, 07:51 PM
when i was a kid, my mom bought me a wooden dragon that you had to built from

attaching pieces together

pretty challenging since i was pretty dumb back then but it turned out all right

and i painted it red

sadly the photo was lost to time

Gwaihir
12-14-2020, 07:55 PM

Nice. I've been meaning to procure a Jointer and Planer here in the short-after-now so I can resurface/refurbish palletwood and sell side-projects under the "sustainable" marketing gimmick.

My coworker gave me a really old bandsaw a couple weeks ago. The motor still runs really nicely; just need to hit up the local Grainger for some new drivebelts and bandsaw blades to resurrect.

Thulian
12-14-2020, 10:12 PM
thats old, buy something new, its a tool they have made lots of innovations in the past 100 years

BiG SiP
12-14-2020, 10:14 PM
check out this mace i fashioned in my home foundry

https://i.imgur.com/KRDNuyk.jpg

Gravydoo II
12-14-2020, 10:30 PM
if you made that you're a fucking god

I would have made the handle a penis, but good work.

Fame
12-15-2020, 02:25 AM
Oh mah gawd thats amazing. I frikken WISH someone would give me a decent saw. Does it have one of those sick beismeyer style fences on it?? I keep buying cheap ones from garage sales and they never end up being what I imagined... One has a warped table, one has warped guts inside which wont allow the blade to sit square..

You ever see those stations that have two in one? Like table saw ontop, undo the latch, the table flips over and boom chop saw or whatever else??

How does the bandsaw work for you?? I always wondered, ive never used one.. Like if you wanted to cut a 10mm by 10mm piece of whatever, how do you keep it from just, running wild and going all curvy?? I get that they have a fence but like.. meh. I think you get what I mean.

You aint kidding about getting a jointer. Shit changes the game. No more sanding saw marks like a peasant for hours. I'll still use my flat machine but only sparingly.. (the flat machine is sand paper glued to a sheet of glass lol)

I could post some pics of my stuff if anyone is interested. I'm not very accomplished just yet but the right tools makes shit a lot easier to become better.

Standard fence on the table saw nothin to fancy it’s pretty good though, Bosch does good work. The guy just wasn’t the type to peak under the hood to see if it was something basic to fix. Glad he gave it to me tbh lol it was stuck in the highest position just waiting to dish out a nasty kickback.

I’ve seen those flip tables but I’m not sure I’d try to make one without the proper hardware for locking it in and flipping it. It’s not locally available for me and I live out in the sticks. If I was pinched for space I might give it a try but for now I still have some space to work with.

Bandsaws are a breeze really. If ya have really curved cuts just plan ahead and step cut as needed, ya can smooth out whatever ya need to with a sander later. It does have a fence but for what I do I can accomplish most rips on the table saw or with my skilsaw if need be.

I definitely recommend a jointer and planer combo for anyone who is doing project that need to be square. I had some jigs to kind of rough cut them before but you’re right the sanding like a pleb was a pain in the ass lol. Before I had the combo it seemed like no matter what I did it was really hard to achieve a true 90° it wasn’t horrible but if ya make picture frames or anything like that, one side or corner always creeped up and bugged the shit out of me.

Heh that went on longer than I expected, none of my friends do woodworking outside of banging nails roofing or framing so I don’t get to talk about it often lol

Gravydoo II
12-15-2020, 02:49 AM
thats old, buy something new, its a tool they have made lots of innovations in the past 100 years

You have any idea how much a saw with a CDM, belt driven, and a biesmeyer fence is?
Most modern tools are all made by the same company. craftsman, dewalt, kobalt, black&decker, all the same.

Old tools were made by companies who made tools. No design by committee. No cost saving material bullshit. No "oh thats unsafe, cover it up. " tuck your shirt in, dont wear a tie, cut that hippie hair before it goes in the belt.

Worm gears and cost saving bullshit. I want iron, steel, and heavy bearings.

I want to fear for my life when I use it.

Why dont you recommend a table saw for me?

DoodyLich666
12-15-2020, 08:00 AM

A lot of old tools are of a far superior craftsmanship. Unfortunately, most of the tool innovations have just been ways to make them cheaper, but they sacrifice longevity, and repairability. New drills and little things like that are definitely nice to have, but I’d usually prefer to work with saws and sanders made back when people understood that tools should be fixed rather than replaced.

Gwaihir
12-15-2020, 08:36 AM
A lot of old tools are of a far superior craftsmanship. Unfortunately, most of the tool innovations have just been ways to make them cheaper, but they sacrifice longevity, and repairability. New drills and little things like that are definitely nice to have, but I’d usually prefer to work with saws and sanders made back when people understood that tools should be fixed rather than replaced.

It's not that new tools sacrifice longevity and repairability;. They're literally engineered to break in economically unfeasible to repair ways after x hours of use.

It's called planned obsolescence.

I used to work in project and supply chain management for both a fine furniture manufacturer in yucca valley (mueller turner)
And an industrial signage manufacturer in riverside (fusion sign and design)

Neither one of those operations used contemporary tools aside from pivoting compound miter saws, and they make much nicer and more commercially marketable shit than thullian can make on his overpriced short lived hardware.

Gravydoo II
12-15-2020, 10:57 AM
^^^^^ Truth. Plastic bearings. No zerk fittings. Worm gears, disgusting.

hobart
12-15-2020, 12:15 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread about raising livestock and another one about truck balls, but I'll just post in this thread instead.

Did you guys see the episode where Uncle Jed built Granny a butter churn?

Mblake81
12-15-2020, 12:34 PM
check out this mace i fashioned in my home foundry

https://i.imgur.com/KRDNuyk.jpg

DiesInEveryFilm - The Modern Mace (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQydrCohuwI)

It's not that new tools sacrifice longevity and repairability;. They're literally engineered to break in economically unfeasible to repair ways after x hours of use.

It's called planned obsolescence.

I used to work in project and supply chain management for both a fine furniture manufacturer in yucca valley (mueller turner)
And an industrial signage manufacturer in riverside (fusion sign and design)

Neither one of those operations used contemporary tools aside from pivoting compound miter saws, and they make much nicer and more commercially marketable shit than thullian can make on his overpriced short lived hardware.

^

That's right. They call it Chinesium.

Thulian
12-15-2020, 02:37 PM
Honestly buy something nice on alibaba and wait a bit for it if you are going to use it frequently, also great post hobart at least they are doing RL tradeskills

Gravydoo II
12-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Nah. Just got that iron top craftsman with the CDM, sick ass fence.

imperiouskitten
12-15-2020, 06:16 PM
i love my $20 chinesium drill

works great tbh

Gravydoo II
12-15-2020, 11:28 PM
Me too. I have some ryobis. One lasted 5 years but it died and wont let go of my paddle bit cause the chuck stripped from the inside. I bought an old dewalt plug in and it flipped my breaker on a weak circuit lol. It wants to break my wrist.

Gravydoo II
12-15-2020, 11:32 PM
If you like watching tools be taken apart and learn how they work, watch "AvE" on youtube. He's this canadian fucker that speaks in idiom.