PDA

View Full Version : The Genre needs to die to be reborn: Fantasy MMO RPG

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 11:26 AM
It won't be reborn until it dies. And it no longer becomes a profit driven business and becomes a hobby again.

The things that made this genre great were that it was full of hobbiests who all were well versed in prolific arts and crafts through DnD and LOTR.

It won't happen again until we get a new silmaril.

Jimjam
12-09-2020, 01:39 PM
You got any cool sketches, sculpts, paintings, poetry to share? No judgesies if you don’t. I’m just a junky for fantasy hobby stuff.

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 01:58 PM
I will share my private fantasy hobby.

I am trying to make a trading card game based on what I love about everquest and fantasy games because it has become my fantasy hobby, I been working on it for like over a year and I keep thinking its fun but then trying it and getting mad and boxing it up and then thinking about a new idea while I shower and then unboxing it and trying again and again.

https://i.imgur.com/4S8HVod.png

This is a picture of it. I want to share my fantasy hobby with jimjam and you guys cus I feel like I will never succeed at makign this a fun game and want you guys to at least know I tried hehe

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 02:09 PM
The best part of it is finding awesome fantasy drawings online to use as temp images.

https://i.imgur.com/xDSxDaV.png

Look at that gem. "you've always got a dragon to slay, well what about us!?!?!!"

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 02:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6LVrSjV.png

What could this card be I wonder :thinking:

High charsima?

"When you make an attack at an enemy, target enemy becomes unable to block until the end of turn."

mebbe? idk lmao its a stupid hobby.

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 02:19 PM
haha, looks like someone was into bsdm :P but made it a cleric instead

i like it.

I was actually shamed into hiding my DnD stuff and eventully throwing it away, i built a campaign and a town, and filled it with npcs and everything. And it was fairly benign, because I was a kid, so it was more about an evil wizards experiment gone awray than anything. It was a fun afternoon sized adventure, where my friends could explore the town and it eventually went off the rails and the evil wizards lab exploded, the end.

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 02:21 PM
I still have my highschool DND 3 ring binder, its got sketches, notes, maps and quests and stuff! Its amazing how little difference there is between me and my teenage self.

Kidna sad but oh well lmao

Tunabros
12-09-2020, 02:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6LVrSjV.png

What could this card be I wonder :thinking:

High charsima?

"When you make an attack at an enemy, target enemy becomes unable to block until the end of turn."

mebbe? idk lmao its a stupid hobby.

nice :cool:

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 02:24 PM
People would have mucho love and respect for my little campaign and i would have been able to make a months salary in 1998 if i could have boxed it up in a leaflet and sold it to one of those companies selling pre-packaged adventures.

Also it would have been an expression of my earlier self escaping into reality in the form that it was in a way less hostile way then what eventually did happen.

I think that's the better alternate universe, I can't make excuses for the present one. That could have encouarged me to be a more creative force in the universe.

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 02:27 PM
hehe I am escaping the pandemic with this hobby. This stupid squire is a like, un-useful, deck searching card idea for warriors. But I just like the drawings.

I wish I could say I drew them but I just found them online hehe, I drew the border though, and combined these two separate drawings :p

https://i.imgur.com/qWGOQQK.png

Jimjam
12-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Well we can consider this picture halfling half inched.

Jibartik you always have wonderful projects to present, I love how you are kind enough to share them with us.

I’m sorry you had to lose your DnD stuff Mag. If it is any consolation, being largely constructs of the imagination, you’ll always retain a fragment of them to share as stories.

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 03:31 PM
thx i'm trying to a little more develop that side of myself again!

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 03:35 PM
lol jimjam!

thx i'm trying to a little more develop that side of myself again!

yea was digging your eq adventure in screenshots!

Knuckle
12-09-2020, 04:28 PM
It won't be reborn until it dies. And it no longer becomes a profit driven business and becomes a hobby again.

The things that made this genre great were that it was full of hobbiests who all were well versed in prolific arts and crafts through DnD and LOTR.

It won't happen again until we get a new silmaril.

I agree. Private studios with some angel investing is what it is needed. Pantheon is the best example of this attempt, but its been in development for like....10 years? Dying gasp of a passion project.

Shareholder interest companies tear the passion out of game development. Really glad I didn't end up in the industry, seems to be a chew up and spitout type culture these days when you read the interviews on former game devs.

BiG SiP
12-09-2020, 04:32 PM
:p

DoodyLich666
12-09-2020, 04:47 PM
Here is my dwarf 7 barbarian/3 bear warrior, Fimbulfambi, that I was playing in a 3.5 Age of Worms campaign when Covid hit. I had always wanted to play a grapple character, and he was just starting to become pretty functional when shit got weird and ended our role play sessions. I was a crowd control monster. When I went into rage I could transform into a bear! He can be rocking some leather armor, with steel armor spikes, and welding a +1 dagger of frost.
I have his backstory all typed up that I can share, but it might be a bit long winded heheh.
Also, share some of the rules for your card game!

Jibartik
12-09-2020, 05:52 PM
I love this dude!

Lune
12-10-2020, 12:43 AM
The best part of it is finding awesome fantasy drawings online to use as temp images.

https://i.imgur.com/xDSxDaV.png

Look at that gem. "you've always got a dragon to slay, well what about us!?!?!!"

lol

Ennewi
12-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Agree, at least with the overall sentiment of OP. Magic Legends was the most recent disappointment that comes to mind, first touted as an MMO and then suddenly marketed as an online ARPG. A cash shop looming over the game ruined any of its appeal either way.

Ennewi
12-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Here is my dwarf 7 barbarian/3 bear warrior, Fimbulfambi, that I was playing in a 3.5 Age of Worms campaign when Covid hit. I had always wanted to play a grapple character, and he was just starting to become pretty functional when shit got weird and ended our role play sessions. I was a crowd control monster. When I went into rage I could transform into a bear! He can be rocking some leather armor, with steel armor spikes, and welding a +1 dagger of frost.
I have his backstory all typed up that I can share, but it might be a bit long winded heheh.
Also, share some of the rules for your card game!

Ha, a barbearian. Almost missed the pun.

DoodyLich666
12-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Hehe, yep. Barbearian was what my group usually called me.
And on the subject of the op, it does feel like nerd culture, basically any fantasy and Sci-fi, has been appropriated and stripped of its essence to make it more marketable for the main stream. Maybe I’m just getting old though...

Gravydoo II
12-10-2020, 08:16 PM
What was a good example of this genre?

DoodyLich666
12-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Well, I guess I’m not thinking purely of mmos, but d&d has basically become a murder hobo simulator. The new edition took out most of the skills, and skills are what made characters different. Role play has been pushed to the shadows in favor of high number, fast combat. Magic the gathering feels the same. It used to be a slow, methodical wizard battle with cool art. It feels nothing like that now.
I used to think rpg games were trying to be digital d&d, and they just don’t feel that way anymore.

Mblake81
12-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Well, I guess I’m not thinking purely of mmos, but d&d has basically become a murder hobo simulator. The new edition took out most of the skills, and skills are what made characters different. Role play has been pushed to the shadows in favor of high number, fast combat. Magic the gathering feels the same. It used to be a slow, methodical wizard battle with cool art. It feels nothing like that now.
I used to think rpg games were trying to be digital d&d, and they just don’t feel that way anymore.

They were trying to be digital D&D with cool art. D&D was bought by Hasbro, the kids toy company, awhile back. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xcSttwDLg&feature=youtu.be&t=72) Some of the big PC game staples have had some rough years. Ater Ziff Davis Jr. (https://tinyurl.com/y55wgayj) died in 2006 it went to pieces.

Trexller
12-11-2020, 12:24 AM
OP thinks he can fix gaming the same way the alt left libtard dems think they can fix america.

"a great reset"

Ennewi
12-11-2020, 01:06 AM

MTG arena seems more Hearthstonesque with emphasis placed on distracting visual and sound effects. Only checked it out because I heard the bat screech from EQ was being used by one of the black cards and sure enough it was there.

Jibartik
12-11-2020, 01:13 AM
lol I love when you hear eq sound effects in car commercials or some oscar nominated movie.

Trexller
12-11-2020, 01:24 AM
lol I love when you hear eq sound effects in car commercials or some oscar nominated movie.

when I was young, nickelodeon had a game show where when a contestant completed an objective, the EverQuest level up "Ding" sound was played.

That made me unhappy.

fuck you sony for selling our sounds

Jimjam
12-11-2020, 04:09 AM
when I was young, nickelodeon had a game show where when a contestant completed an objective, the EverQuest level up "Ding" sound was played.

That made me unhappy.

fuck you sony for selling our sounds

I suspect you have it backwards, I don’t think they were sony’s to sell. Just free use license audio clip art. Eq used it as it was cheap.

Mblake81
12-11-2020, 06:08 AM
I suspect you have it backwards, I don’t think they were sony’s to sell. Just free use license audio clip art. Eq used it as it was cheap.

Some of those sound effects are also in Elder Scrolls Daggerfall.

magnetaress
12-11-2020, 10:05 AM
All this talk of barbarians wants me to make a lizard warrior.