View Full Version : Thoughts on Pantheon Rise of The Fallen

regandna
11-30-2020, 11:25 PM
(1) Going to be dope?
(2) Not going to happen!
(3) Going to be trash!
(4) Other thoughts.

Here is a semi-recent video with some imagery for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTAqcQ2K3Y (fast forward to 6:19).

BiG SiP
11-30-2020, 11:28 PM
world of warcraft with worse graphics
cool

Baler
11-30-2020, 11:38 PM
(4) Other thoughts.
https://i.imgur.com/Ft55qU3.png

bthomsen0312
11-30-2020, 11:39 PM
Wow you know what the world needs? More shitty WoW clones!!!

Zoolander
11-30-2020, 11:42 PM
eq failed after brad left, vanguard (sadly) failed too, and so will pantheon (even harder).

it was brads fault, 3 times in a row

cd288
11-30-2020, 11:48 PM
Certain things like abilities and combat were always going to be different from EQ and more like a modern MMO. I am okay with that because EQ style mechanics in those departments just isn’t realistic for an MMO. What I want to see is slow progression and fun group content at all levels and I will be happy.

Tongpow
12-01-2020, 12:07 AM
will be dead in a couple months like all the other "wow killers" of the last decade+

Khikik
12-01-2020, 12:09 AM
I am willing to give most MMO's a shot for at least a month. Played nearly every MMO out there. Most of them don't hold my interest past a month, some of them for a couple months, the good ones 6 months+. Very few of them ever went past the year mark.

Gamers are very cynical understandably so when it comes to big promises from game dev's as well as potential vaporware games, especially so with MMO's as so many of them fail or never launch. It really does not serve any useful purpose, same as over-hyping a game can also be just as damaging. Might get a spike of people playing at the start, but quickly quit and get a bad reputation over issues that could be fixed had the game not been over-hyped / over-promised. Ignoring all that noise, I don't see the harm in just trying a game... if it works for you great enjoy the game, if not oh well its just a game...games come and go.... some succeed some fail..../shrug

Provided Pantheon does actually release I will defiantly give it a fair shake I plan on rolling a Skar Warrior simply because I never play tank's (usually play dps or support classes) so why not try something new for once

Ripqozko
12-01-2020, 12:30 AM
Pantheon is a meme, hope that helps.

Tunabros
12-01-2020, 12:33 AM
skeptical now that Brad is gone

hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be like fallout 76 I'm still salty I didn't get a refund

Zekayy
12-01-2020, 12:35 AM
Wont release

shuklak
12-01-2020, 12:36 AM
It will be worth the wait to see my name on a digital brick.

hobart
12-01-2020, 12:48 AM
Thoughts on Pantheon Rise of The Fallen

File under drugs

adichi
12-01-2020, 01:01 AM
with brad's death the game has kinda gone in an entirely different direction but still looks semi-promising...
only time will tell

Swish
12-01-2020, 01:30 AM
One man didn't make EQ, I have faith they'll get something decent out there.

Lets face it you'll be on P99 for years yet anyway.

ScottBerta
12-01-2020, 01:42 AM
If we all playing eq after this long.. no game will ever stack up. Just my 2 cents

voydent
12-01-2020, 01:51 AM
I am willing to give most MMO's a shot for at least a month. Played nearly every MMO out there. Most of them don't hold my interest past a month, some of them for a couple months, the good ones 6 months+. Very few of them ever went past the year mark.

Gamers are very cynical understandably so when it comes to big promises from game dev's as well as potential vaporware games, especially so with MMO's as so many of them fail or never launch. It really does not serve any useful purpose, same as over-hyping a game can also be just as damaging. Might get a spike of people playing at the start, but quickly quit and get a bad reputation over issues that could be fixed had the game not been over-hyped / over-promised. Ignoring all that noise, I don't see the harm in just trying a game... if it works for you great enjoy the game, if not oh well its just a game...games come and go.... some succeed some fail..../shrug

Provided Pantheon does actually release I will defiantly give it a fair shake I plan on rolling a Skar Warrior simply because I never play tank's (usually play dps or support classes) so why not try something new for once

that's awesome to hear that you've tried almost every MMO out there.

mind if i ask which MMOs you played for over the year mark, or at least 6+ months?

i dont play many MMOs. i just played EQ, WOW, and Dark Age of Camelot but that was almost 20 years ago. and from the 3, it's EQ which kept me coming back for more. but there was always this itch to want to try the other more recent MMOs out there

Khikik
12-01-2020, 01:59 AM
that's awesome to hear that you've tried almost every MMO out there.

mind if i ask which MMOs you played for over the year mark, or at least 6+ months?

i dont play many MMOs. i just played EQ, WOW, and Dark Age of Camelot but that was almost 20 years ago. and from the 3, it's EQ which kept me coming back for more. but there was always this itch to want to try the other more recent MMOs out there

1-3 months - Too many... Daoc, guild wars 1 and 2, swotr, everquest2, ESO, Age of Conan, Terra..... to name a few

6 Month club: WoW classic

1year+ club: RIFT, Warhammer Online

This is the song that never ends....: Everquest

Nuggie
12-01-2020, 02:09 AM
So here is the thing...

Brad had a vision for a niche game targeted at people that like EQ. It was always going to be a bit different. It was never claimed as a WoW killer(who wants that anyways?). It's not EQ3. It's Pantheon.

Yes, now that Brad is gone things have changed. However, it sounded like some of those changes would have happened had Brad still been alive, out of necessity.

They are cruising along in a positive direction at roughly a quicker pace than they have ever had.

Will it launch? I don't know. Was my $$$ worth it 5 years ago to support a guy who helped designed a game that helped me get through a rough patch in life? Absolutely.

Littul Jonn
12-01-2020, 02:22 AM
If it ever launches, we should play on the same server. Games like this are only good because of the community. Nobody plays a 20 year old elf lawyer sim to get pixels, you play for the people.

douglas1999
12-01-2020, 02:30 AM
Wtf is with the checkerboard placeholder textures and weird balloon trees? Why the hell would they release this thinking it would entice people? I've seen much older pantheon videos with respectable looking graphics, if a bit generic. What the hell is this

Nuggie
12-01-2020, 02:32 AM
All the prior video's that looked complete had placeholder art purchased from the unity store. They re-do a bunch for optimizations(its technical, I don't pretend to understand it all). Current videos have pantheon asset art.

douglas1999
12-01-2020, 03:27 AM
Well I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's a bad strategy when trying to kindle interest in your game if your old, pre-pre-pre-alpha videos look better than your most recent ones. The development cycle has traditionally gone that the game looks progressively better as development proceeds.

unleashedd
12-01-2020, 04:40 AM
Dark Myr Enchanter. See you there!

Toryas
12-01-2020, 05:28 AM
Wont release

Solist
12-01-2020, 05:29 AM
There is a 0% chance pantheon ever releases. Not going to happen.

charmcitysking
12-01-2020, 05:53 AM
uhhhhh

bush and towers

Mblake81
12-01-2020, 06:13 AM

I had an open and positive attitude for new mmorpg's until the Conan game released. It changed my mind on any new style of game in the genre. The 2010's were about to hit, multiplatform standards were now in place. Things would trend more towards a living room console UI in the coming years.

xdrcfrx
12-01-2020, 11:16 AM
If it ever launches, we should play on the same server. Games like this are only good because of the community. Nobody plays a 20 year old elf lawyer sim to get pixels, you play for the people.

On the one hand, this is 100% true and I would love to just port the blue server to a (good) modern game. That would be super fun!

On the other hand, picture this:

you've just created your new toon, you're off doing noobie things in a noobie zone. Here comes a person! Oh, his name is Snortles..

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

sonofabitch!

Kohedron
12-01-2020, 11:28 AM
Can you pay to be above the rules in that game too?

If so, no ty

regandna
12-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Wtf is with the checkerboard placeholder textures and weird balloon trees? Why the hell would they release this thinking it would entice people? I've seen much older pantheon videos with respectable looking graphics, if a bit generic. What the hell is this

This would be them venturing into new areas of the map that are still in development.

regandna
12-01-2020, 11:37 AM

You pessimist you!

OuterChimp
12-01-2020, 12:25 PM
I say blah. Not putting anyone down, but just my ttwo cents. We all loved EQ back in teh day. That is why we are here with p99.

I used to have to turn last names and spell effects off and my computer would still get so hot it would crash. Now, I can run p99 on my crappy work laptop just fine!

BarnabusCollins
12-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Pantheon will be a cheap clone of every other modern MMORPG without Brad McQuaid at the helm. Quick cash like Square Enix did with FFXIV release 1.

Tunabros
12-01-2020, 06:22 PM
we will have to wait and see

but I'm not pre-ordering

my hope is that its gonna be awesome if not, oh well

Ennewi
12-02-2020, 12:40 AM

The same was said about the reintroduction of classic EQ back when SOE was still SOE and look how accurate that turned out to be. Most people are already convinced one way or another. It's more fun to consider the possibilities from design intent, speaking to its potential rather than offering conjecture.

What sticks out more now than anything is, the lore and art direction share similarities with MTG.

Environment/Atmospheres
A truer form of PVE, with disparate/overlapping biomes due to the lore/creation story.
Players can be struck by lightning if character idles too long in at the same loc. Rip those who fall asleep at keyboard. /wave /bye to sitting AFK LFG at the zoneline, at least certain zonelines, unless FD. Cloth/leather classes > chain/platemail classes versus lightning?
Dispositions/manifestations for certain NPCs and States caused by PCs, adding more replayability to old world zones and less need for future revamps.

Race/Class Matrix
Not a copy/paste of EQ.
Races have passive and active abilities, with min/max choices requiring more consideration than FSI versus HP regen.

Climbing System
Adds another dimension to zone layouts and pulling. Adds more importance to spells and weapons with long range, being able to aggro otherwise unreachable camps/targets. Ensures that flying mounts won't be added, as flight would bypass climbing skill altogether. Able to camp check and bypass areas without crossing paths with and potentially training anyone.

Every stat type will be meaningful to each class, which is an obvious improvement over EQ. INT wouldn't be useless on a RNG or ROG. WIS wouldn't be useless on a NEC or WIZ. AGI wouldn't be negligible to...every class.

Players having two targets at once, one offensive and one defensive. An idea likely taken from Vanguard. Another improvement, one that would have added more complexity to EQ group and raid settings.

Perception system and spell synergy both have a lot of promise.

Tunabros
12-02-2020, 06:50 PM

what makes you say that?

there's got to be some hope :o

JayDee
12-02-2020, 07:08 PM
The fact that they have been lying and saying there has been tremendous progress made over the past few years, only to get another round of funding and hiring a competent programmer who says hes had to delete more code than hes written.. not a good sign.

Mblake81
12-02-2020, 09:03 PM
The same was said about the reintroduction of classic EQ back when SOE was still SOE and look how accurate that turned out to be. Most people are already convinced one way or another. It's more fun to consider the possibilities from design intent, speaking to its potential rather than offering conjecture.

What sticks out more now than anything is, the lore and art direction share similarities with MTG.

Environment/Atmospheres
A truer form of PVE, with disparate/overlapping biomes due to the lore/creation story.
Players can be struck by lightning if character idles too long in at the same loc. Rip those who fall asleep at keyboard. /wave /bye to sitting AFK LFG at the zoneline, at least certain zonelines, unless FD. Cloth/leather classes > chain/platemail classes versus lightning?
Dispositions/manifestations for certain NPCs and States caused by PCs, adding more replayability to old world zones and less need for future revamps.

Race/Class Matrix
Not a copy/paste of EQ.
Races have passive and active abilities, with min/max choices requiring more consideration than FSI versus HP regen.

https://i.imgur.com/JUI4Fuo.jpg

Climbing System
Adds another dimension to zone layouts and pulling. Adds more importance to spells and weapons with long range, being able to aggro otherwise unreachable camps/targets. Ensures that flying mounts won't be added, as flight would bypass climbing skill altogether. Able to camp check and bypass areas without crossing paths with and potentially training anyone.

I have played Thief. I was looking for EQ.

Every stat type will be meaningful to each class, which is an obvious improvement over EQ. INT wouldn't be useless on a RNG or ROG. WIS wouldn't be useless on a NEC or WIZ. AGI wouldn't be negligible to...every class.

Warrior quest armor has wisdom on it, because stats were screwed up and a mistake. Dungeons are more dangerous than they appear because of agro through walls. My point is, my favorite PC game ever made was largely a mistake. Trying to fix it is regressive.

Players having two targets at once, one offensive and one defensive. An idea likely taken from Vanguard. Another improvement, one that would have added more complexity to EQ group and raid settings.

More than one mob comes in, the enchanter or other CC handle the work. Everyone else assists the main tank, one target. This would be a seemingly small but large change to classic EQ. I heard the rogue can do crowd control, what?

Zekayy
12-03-2020, 02:54 AM
what makes you say that?

there's got to be some hope :o

with brad passing away theres even a less chance also the simple fact that they said ever since 2015 it releases on this date then it got pushed back then pushed back more and then they said heres the beta for it and it will release after lol make up your minds also the fact they just redid the entire engine and are starting over from scratch makes you worry alot.

zaldaben
12-03-2020, 04:02 AM
1-3 months - Too many... Daoc, guild wars 1 and 2, swotr, everquest2, ESO, Age of Conan, Terra..... to name a few

6 Month club: WoW classic

1year+ club: RIFT, Warhammer Online

This is the song that never ends....: Everquest

Dude I tried rift and it looked super promising but I couldnt get past the skill trees on it... way to many options. had no clue what direction to go into.

ruzzil
12-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Pantheon looks like janky garbage that attempts to be good at everything and in turn does nothing well

Ennewi
12-03-2020, 11:37 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/fm0cvk/the_fountain_why_the_dislike/

my_name_is_murphy
21 points
·
8 months ago
Personally, I know so much about the behind the scenes it makes me wish we could have seen the 3 hour 200 million dollar epic he was planning. I like the movie just fine. But Jackman going through all these different eras dealing with loss, death, immortality, reincarnation.

While it's there in the movie. If I remember correctly only about 30% of the movie he wanted to make survived the studio taking away most of his budget, and even destroyed a few sets they had built because they lost their sound stages to other productions. So it's a miracle in itself the film was made.

But man, what could have been.

Ennewi
12-03-2020, 03:19 PM
why are you talking about a movie in a pantheon thread

How are you not seeing the correlation? Two ambitious projects reworked/scaled back more than once, neither of which being made to appeal to a wide majority and both being in the shadow of a previous success.

Mblake81
12-03-2020, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I am not familiar with the film.

Solemnus
12-08-2020, 05:23 PM
My thoughts from gameplay video;
-Graphically, if that's meant to be an ogre, yuck. He just looks like a tall and fat human. Reminds me a lot of the Luclin-bodybuilder Ogre model, just a human on steriods. The environment looks okay I guess. Spell effects look okay, but again remind me more of Luclin spell effects than classic EQ - there's a kind of toned down, lacking intensity feel to them.
-UI wise, it reminds me a lot of WoW. Very similar spell/skill graphics. That's not necessarily bad, but maybe weird.
-Gameplay, good and bad. It resembles EQ a lot if you look at the combat chat. That's positive, they're not hitting for ten thousand. Bad; the skill effects really resemble WoW too. I get the feeling they're going full WoW in terms of skills, which will mean every class is going to have a billion abilities and I seriously doubt you'll see the level of class-interdependence you have in EQ as a result. This is one of the core failings of WoW, in that no one really needs one another, so you never talk to anyone.
-Animations, I don't like. Again remind of Luclin in a bad way. But where Luclins animations are pants-shittingly bad, like they hired a special needs child to do it, Pantheon just looks kind of meh. Too much flailing in the melee animations without any 'form.' But maybe I'd get used to it, just not immediately impressed.
-Sounds. Music is good, spell effects seemed incredibly repetitive and annoying. Every spell that group cast sounded the same, that might just be WIP though. The NPC sounds (or lack thereof) sucked though; when they hit enemies all you hear is material sounds. I need those EQ grunts, crushing blows, death screams, and NPC-type specific grunts etc. IE a bandit makes different sounds to an orc.

Jibartik
12-08-2020, 05:25 PM
The fountain is great!

I also recommend ad astra, its both an extremely bleak and realistic image of our future, as well as an extremely positive one, depending on your personality.

GinnasP99
12-08-2020, 05:38 PM
(5)Sucks

Tunabros
12-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Im rolling a human

class idk

hope it doesn't suck balls tho

Ret.SaxonAlex
12-08-2020, 07:47 PM
It may be that Everquest is fine the way it is. (With some degrees of change due to time and too much of one thing for too long. Of course keeping classic as a default to go back too.) As far as the creation of worlds and stories go, we may have run out. However, there may still be a need for new styles. There may not be a need to create another world. I felt bad for Brad because he may have created something great because he wasn't trying super hard at the time. (Everquest Classic.) I do think that when you don't try so hard you may accidentally create something great. Where as if he had to recreate something and not copy Everquest because of legal rights, then the pressure just may lead it to nowhere. Also one conversation such as, "This is the business world, it must go like this. I know the business world." could lead to uncertainty within a given time period of requirements, leading to pressure and conflict with no results. I would hate to see Brads game go nowhere. But my honest opinion is I will probably stay with Everquest for some time. If Brad was still here, it would be cool though to see a stress free Brad working on Everquest 3.

White_knight
12-08-2020, 07:55 PM
As a backer, I can safely say this game isn't coming out.

-250$ out of my account.

Progression is @ a snail like pace, and with the revelations that they bought art assets for the first example dungeons/videos and have spent the past 1-2 years going back and fixing up their poor coding really shot this game in the foot for most people.

I have 5% expectations this game will make it to beta, and 2.5% it will make it to launch.

They keep bringing out streams of artwork placements this, plans of that, were gunna do this and that...and so far they have....what? 1 zone to show for 7 years of development?? Half their first streams were based on the same dungeon over and over and over.

The last one was 30 minutes of some art dude explaining all the 'what if's' from artwork he had drawn up.

Thulian
12-08-2020, 08:36 PM
signs up for an only fans site and backs pantheon, See you in thurgadin !

Swish
12-08-2020, 08:57 PM
I'd love to see "a day in the development of Pantheon" on Youtube, that'd be good.

Bardp1999
12-09-2020, 02:10 AM
If by some miracle this game ever launches (no chance) it will be unplayable garbage for the first 2 years of patches - by that time it will have cemented itself as a toilet bowl and it will have a 50 person player base.

The dream is dead

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 02:25 AM
dunno the niche eq style games should fill is one of thematically gatekeeped creators making elf spaces with elf rules that make sense and arent an ardous treadmill of progressively buying your way into the next expansion, but an adventure in learning u can indeed strafe run, and that flash of light isnt that bad after all. Where if u don't min max, u can still have fun grps. Because gear isn't as important as using snare and fear together, and having a friend who's got your back. And a mage who can summon bandages while u wait for a cleric.

doubt it can come to pass tho like mblake said, everyone is using consoles, and unity certainly isn't the engine to make things deeply interesting, itll be hard to drown because u fell off the bridge

there needs to be places ppl feel like spending hours to explore, remember finding mushroom spawns on the ground in Kaladim at the farms? not just cuz u get a +5 sword aug but because its interesting u can kill the giants, or the farmers, just because theyre green, and u are curious about what faction they are on

all these things that make eq special should be going into pantheon, but i bet u will be able to solo 1-whatever level caps they decide. pvp and everything will be 'fair and balanced'. Speedrunning dungeons will probably matter more than learning the crazy maze of hallways. Traps, and pitfalls. Or shortcuts.

seems like at this point pantheon would have been better off selling graphic novels, they'd have bankrolled themselves a tripple A studio if the artists stuck to what they were good at and churned out stories and characters and art drama

i was looking forward to the slightly evil, maybe redeamable mer people, not sure like i said, any of it will pan out. we should at the very least get one person into a career who churns out some fun books

Ennewi
12-09-2020, 07:15 AM
As a backer, I can safely say this game isn't coming out.

-250$ out of my account.

Still haven't backed it personally, but might just given recent developments.

Progression is @ a snail like pace, and with the revelations that they bought art assets for the first example dungeons/videos and have spent the past 1-2 years going back and fixing up their poor coding really shot this game in the foot for most people.

Jimmy Lane and Kyle Olsen seem up to the task and more than capable. The rate at which that progress can now be accelerated, especially for the environments/zones, is reassuring.

In retrospect, it might have been better releasing an early unpolished game to the public on test servers while making updates along the way. ClassicEQ suffered from that, aiming for perfection and getting almost nowhere, whereas Project1999 accepted certain limitations from the get-go and gradually worked through or around them.

I have 5% expectations this game will make it to beta, and 2.5% it will make it to launch.

https://youtu.be/Ea2HS8NL4s4

so far they have....what? 1 zone to show for 7 years of development??

Roughly a dozen or so zones, according to google.

The last one was 30 minutes of some art dude explaining all the 'what if's' from artwork he had drawn up.

The what ifs weren't merely speculative though, as they pertained to actual content in the works. Showing the connection between one evolving creative process and another as they relate to in-game assets isn't so much "what if" but wherefore. GRRM speaks on the same process in interviews, often mentioning the two approaches to writing (the gardener and the architect) as being complementary to each other. In reality, these dualities exist everywhere. The classicist and the romanticist. The interviewer and the interviewee. All are necessary and good game design accounts for and incorporates them in all aspects of play without favoring one or the other to extremes.

EverQuest did this well, with enough of the lore/rules presented deliberately and discreetly, leaving other aspects open-ended either on purpose or due to time constraints. And two decades later players still debate over the whys and consider the what ifs, finding exploits along the way, all of which keeps an aging niche community intact.

https://imgur.com/a/RITjtYu

Star Wars special edition trilogy did not do this well. All of the whys added in after the fact were either overcomplicated or incompatible with the characters and their story. Game of Thrones Season 7 and 8 also failed in this way. All of the whys were unsubstantiated and the characters conveniently spared or sacrificed for reasons unrelated to their established flaws and redeeming qualities.

These underpinnings aren't valued enough by one-time audiences who simply want to be entertained by the methods they've come to expect. Told when a joke has been made, through canned laughter. Shown when an important NPC is nearby, through a blinking punctuation mark. It's not difficult providing entertainment if following trends—fooling some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time—but appealing to and then holding the attention of critics/aficionados who remember all too well that they were fooled before? Good luck. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice?

https://youtu.be/U8tUiI_cUCg

Even with some of the better non-MMO games, developers still cut corners. Kingdoms of Amalur had a respectable enough storyline, one in which a spear was central to the main storyline, even right down to the cut scenes. But fucked if you, the player, could actually wield one. The exclusion might seem superficial, but it's how an IP can identify itself, through symbolism/branding. In a perfect world, the Kingdoms of Amalur devs would have used that spear as a plot device, with its acquisition leading to an expansion that allowed players to wield spears. An actual achievement unlocked and one that would have remained fixed in the minds of its audience long after moving on to other games.

Star Wars had the lightsaber. EverQuest had the scepter (as seen on the original cover and then again on the expansion with its light extinguished and previous wielder chained). Heavenly Sword had a unique curved blade. World of Warcraft had the massive shoulderpads. Good or bad, they're immediately recognizable and distinct. But the visual still has to be supported by well-thought-out lore, otherwise it's just as forgettable as the plot of every porno film ever. That was the point of the artwork video imo. If devs skipped over or hurried through the finer details, than all the easier it would be to sell the project off to the highest bidder and make compromises from top to bottom.

Mblake81
12-09-2020, 09:41 AM
EQ went from concept to market in 4 years. Are graphics the cause of new games taking so long to develop?

Nuggie
12-09-2020, 10:41 AM
Eq was full of weekly, sometimes daily patches to fix their crap code. I think some of you forget what it was like sitting on the chat server for hours waiting for servers to come up.

Things were tough for EQ in the beginning too. Why does it get a pass when modern mmo's get damned for it? Launched in today's world EQ would be DOA under this intense scrutiny.

Mblake81
12-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Eq was full of weekly, sometimes daily patches to fix their crap code. I think some of you forget what it was like sitting on the chat server for hours waiting for servers to come up.

Things were tough for EQ in the beginning too. Why does it get a pass when modern mmo's get damned for it? Launched in today's world EQ would be DOA under this intense scrutiny.

Different times and expectations.

magnetaress
12-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Code was far less complex back in the day. We didn't have to worry about ragdoll physics, or strange and unique shaders, or multithreading, or a host of other wierd network encyrption things. The ollld EQ just spewed its guts out over TCP/IP and netbios and it was glooriously simple.

Now-adays the new games all interface with proprietary databases which are very different from the ones of old, with sharding, and load balancing etc... its not the same as having discreate servers even if the authentication server still sorta says so.

I can't imagine trying to make a game working with modern tech in a secure way. It'd be a nightmare, I'm sure someone will be up to the task, or unity will eventually become a versatile enough API.

Swish
12-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Code was far less complex back in the day. We didn't have to worry about ragdoll physics, or strange and unique shaders, or multithreading, or a host of other wierd network encyrption things. The ollld EQ just spewed its guts out over TCP/IP and netbios and it was glooriously simple.

Now-adays the new games all interface with proprietary databases which are very different from the ones of old, with sharding, and load balancing etc... its not the same as having discreate servers even if the authentication server still sorta says so.

I can't imagine trying to make a game working with modern tech in a secure way. It'd be a nightmare, I'm sure someone will be up to the task, or unity will eventually become a versatile enough API.

One of the current programmers said one of the things he's done for Pantheon is remove a ton of extra code in the game that was excessive versus however long ago in its development.

Sounds like they're not in a rush.

strongNpretty
12-09-2020, 05:20 PM

Fuuuuck i forgot about the chat server!!!!!!!!

imperiouskitten
12-09-2020, 05:51 PM
loved that chat

A Knight
02-09-2021, 04:58 AM
Dont mind super complicated zones but I hope there are some giant fields of green, like karana, commons and gfay, even if pointless. I know they might not like instances but if there are instances, have some incentive to not instance, like less better gear in instances.

regandna
02-09-2021, 08:49 AM

Preach!!!!

Kaveh
02-09-2021, 09:15 AM
signs up for an only fans site and backs pantheon, See you in thurgadin !

I lol’ed

A Knight
02-09-2021, 06:51 PM
I thought this would a cool idea for a new diablo 2 class to add few things to a diablo 2 reboot but still not change it so much to ruin the game. Any game could use it though. Like a copy and pasted Amazon in diablo 2.

There needs to be a Samurai class in a game. Where you can train points into it like in Wow or diablo. A tech tree for two handed sword and a tech tree for bow. Also, have that Wow Paladin ability where they get a stead for like 8 seconds but it doesn't last. Horses and mounts sound like a good idea in an MMO but you can never replicate a giant world well enough, or probably want too, so mounts cut down on the feel of traveling around. A short burst of being on a horse would be fun and also a nice counter to people with spirit of wolf like abilities.

Kaveh
02-09-2021, 06:53 PM
A samurai class would be cool

Nocht
02-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Then Musashi shows up min maxes the class to hell and breaks it with a 2hb sneak attack Oar build.

A Knight
02-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Thanks I agree. I have thought about a Samurai class for a bit. I wish I could remember more about it. I don't remember much but I thought it would be cool if they were great with the Act 2 merc, not that anyone isn't. Or that the Act 2 merc could be a playable class and also a Samurai merc would be good for them.

Maybe something like they need a merc with spear range because they use swords. (Even though Samurai used spears. Making MMOs too realistic might cause madness though because it will cause a constant obsessive compulsive drive to make a fantasy fun game real.)

Even something like they get Iksar AC bonus would be cool but then levels off to insignificant at high levels, just because they have to wear lamellar and are the only class that need/can wear it, making it harder to find armor for them until high levels. Maybe bad idea because anyone can wear lamellar.

A Knight
02-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Now we just need a Mongolian class. :D

Hard to run out of food. Has good cooking and food trade skills that can trade for armor. Can take advantage of cheap armor. And has a mount ability like Samurai but it last long and is faster while on grasslands. Plus 20 to cold resists.

Jibartik
02-09-2021, 08:31 PM
what come first GME on the moon or Panthion.exe in your downloads folder.

A Knight
02-09-2021, 09:02 PM
I'll play pantheon. I hope its good or ill feel bad like I am a traitor.

Kaveh
02-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Vanguard was enjoyable even though it was god awful af launch. I’d play pantheon as well