PDA

View Full Version : Bard in HS North

MikeXG
11-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Was looking at the per level hunting guide and saw that HS North is suggested for Bards to solo. I assume the strat would be charm but can anyone elaborate or share experience they had soloing as a bard in HS

Crede
11-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Charm works but you’ll run oom pretty fast and have to med for a few hours. Bard melee most optimal with new melee table and huge self haste. Grab a blam stick too and Also get howler lute. Can fear kite as well once you figure out pathing and clear some mobs. Grab singing steel helm/bp for eye and fast heals. Hs north pretty easy 55+

Tunabros
11-30-2020, 04:25 PM
howling stones is a charming playground for bards, enchanters, and necros

mostly because of the amount of open space available allowing for easier time to recharm

etc

Bardp1999
11-30-2020, 08:34 PM
HS feels like it would be a nightmare for a Bard to solo in - Death is pretty much a certainty IMO

Zipity
11-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Bard can aoe kite entrance, basement, and North.
Charm kiting is also viable.
Duoing with a necro works amazingly.

branamil
11-30-2020, 09:42 PM
I would never try it due to the difficulty/ reward ratio but I assume you can swarm kite in some areas. Some wings only have 0 or 1 casters , oblations which are wizards. I suppose you could get rid of one with lull or charm but two would make a wing impossible.

Zipity
11-30-2020, 11:01 PM
I would never try it due to the difficulty/ reward ratio but I assume you can swarm kite in some areas. Some wings only have 0 or 1 casters , oblations which are wizards. I suppose you could get rid of one with lull or charm but two would make a wing impossible.

Impossible is a big word friend. A bard should never use it.

GinnasP99
12-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Don't walk on carpets

Izmael
12-01-2020, 01:27 PM
I leveled many characters in HS and have never seen a bard solo in there.

Not saying it's impossible, but as someone mentionned, risk/reward just isn't good enough to warrant spending time doing that.

So many great spots for a bard to solo outside.

MikeXG
12-01-2020, 02:46 PM
I leveled many characters in HS and have never seen a bard solo in there.

Not saying it's impossible, but as someone mentionned, risk/reward just isn't good enough to warrant spending time doing that.

So many great spots for a bard to solo outside.

This was my initial reaction as well. I understand how a Bard "could" hunt there, but sans the fact that they can pick the lock and skip getting the key for the north wing (which isn't hard to get), I don't really see the appeal. Loot is good, but not amazing, especially in the North wing. XP is good, but if a Bard wants to XP there is no shortage of possible spots, both solo and group. I just had to ask the community, made no sense why a Bard would be a suggested class on the per level for the North wing. PLEASE, if someone is aware of something the rest of us aren't, please share. Or whomever suggested it on the wiki, please elaborate to as why?

Thanks all for making me feel less crazy.

Crede
12-01-2020, 05:41 PM
This was my initial reaction as well. I understand how a Bard "could" hunt there, but sans the fact that they can pick the lock and skip getting the key for the north wing (which isn't hard to get), I don't really see the appeal. Loot is good, but not amazing, especially in the North wing. XP is good, but if a Bard wants to XP there is no shortage of possible spots, both solo and group. I just had to ask the community, made no sense why a Bard would be a suggested class on the per level for the North wing. PLEASE, if someone is aware of something the rest of us aren't, please share. Or whomever suggested it on the wiki, please elaborate to as why?

Thanks all for making me feel less crazy.

There’s more to the game then just getting fast efficient xp. For some crawling a dungeon on a bard is more fun than finding somewhere outside to safely swarm/kite. They have all the tools to do it.

Legidias
12-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Just cause some random person likes it for a niche purpose doesn't make it a good spot though

Crede
12-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Just cause some random person likes it for a niche purpose doesn't make it a good spot though

Nobody is claiming HS is this great spot for bards. This thread was about having this spot being suggested for bards on the wiki hunting guide. Just because there might be better spots for a bard doesn't mean it's not worth being on there, it's an option that's there if you feel like diverging from the norm.

Izmael
12-02-2020, 04:11 AM
I'd love to see a video of a bard swarming the entire north wing through the north hallways.
Would just need to make sure the oblations and the wing boss somehow aren't in the pull.

A friendly enchanter could Pacify those beforehand and share the exp. Or the bard could even hop on an enc, Pacify the bad mobs, and log back on the bard and pull before Pacify runs out.

Or the bard could solo the bad mobs first but I have a feeling that it would quite often result in a dead bard unless the wing is green to the bard already.

I think the entire north wing conveniently has around 25 mobs...

Legidias
12-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Nobody is claiming HS is this great spot for bards. This thread was about having this spot being suggested for bards on the wiki hunting guide. Just because there might be better spots for a bard doesn't mean it's not worth being on there, it's an option that's there if you feel like diverging from the norm.

His wiki entry lists it as 'good' for bard, so someone is claiming it's a great spot. Saying there are better spots is a severe understatement.

loramin
12-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Was looking at the per level hunting guide and saw that HS North is suggested for Bards to solo.

Unfortunately I can't say for sure whether I added that, or someone else did. If Rogean were to install the "blame" Mediawiki extension (https://metacpan.org/pod/Mediawiki::Blame), we could easily see ... but I've pestered Rogean about the wiki enough myself, so someone else can beg him to add it if they want.

What I can say is that the odds are in favor of me adding it, but if I did I guarantee I took it from somewhere else (eg. a forum post or another wiki guide). I don't play Bards (I can't take the carpal tunnel), and so anything about them in the Per-Level guide from me was based on a Bard player saying it's a good spot.

But as others have noted, "good" in that guide just means "class X is good at soloing this spot" ... it doesn't mean "this spot is better than the alternatives for class X". Some people like dungeons, some like outdoors. Some just want to grind XP, others want to get some loot while doing it. And whatever your preference, when your favorite spot(s) are taken, you might look at the guide to find somewhere new to explore.

It seems to me that if Bards can solo HS North well, it belongs as a "good spot" for them in the guide; it doesn't matter if they can get a few more percent of XP somewhere else. But if that's wrong and they can't solo that spot well, someone should edit the page ... it is a wiki after all :)

MikeXG
12-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately I can't say for sure whether I added that, or someone else did. If Rogean were to install the "blame" Mediawiki extension (https://metacpan.org/pod/Mediawiki::Blame), we could easily see ... but I've pestered Rogean about the wiki enough myself, so someone else can beg him to add it if they want.

What I can say is that the odds are in favor of me adding it, but if I did I guarantee I took it from somewhere else (eg. a forum post or another wiki guide). I don't play Bards (I can't take the carpal tunnel), and so anything about them in the Per-Level guide from me was based on a Bard player saying it's a good spot.

But as others have noted, "good" in that guide just means "class X is good at soloing this spot" ... it doesn't mean "this spot is better than the alternatives for class X". Some people like dungeons, some like outdoors. Some just want to grind XP, others want to get some loot while doing it. And whatever your preference, when your favorite spot(s) are taken, you might look at the guide to find somewhere new to explore.

It seems to me that if Bards can solo HS North well, it belongs as a "good spot" for them in the guide; it doesn't matter if they can get a few more percent of XP somewhere else. But if that's wrong and they can't solo that spot well, someone should edit the page ... it is a wiki after all :)

Thanks for that info Loramin - I'm not as hung up on how optimal it is, I am more interested in the fact that someone said it was good for bard. To me on the per level guide when a camp is "good for X class" to me it means that classes kit works well there, despite how good the camp is in terms of xp or loot. Bards have a HUGE kit and can do a lot of crazy things. I by no means am an amazing bard, but I am familiar with the class and pretty comfortable playing them. I wouldn't have ever even considered HS on my bard solo and was mostly interested in hearing the reasoning behind why a bard is "good" there. I've hunted as a bard in HS, mostly in groups or duo with a necro or shaman and it was fun, but not once in any of those sessions did I have a profound thought of how great it would be to solo as a bard here.

Anyway - thanks all for the replies, I am sure a bard who is more skilled than I can make that zone a playground. I just don't see it.

Thanks again

kjs86z
12-03-2020, 11:55 AM
wouldnt recommend this

Zipity
12-03-2020, 01:25 PM
I find pbaoe kiting 10-12 mobs in north NP at all. It’s not super fast exp but is doable 54+ and something fun to put on the resume. You can also solo captain camp in KC the same way. With the long respawns though you aren’t gonna be making crazy exp gains. The hardest part is the pull and not get pwned before you gather them. Basement is definitely an easier alternative. Duoing with a necro which Is mentioned above is much faster exp as cantana is like super crack for necro. Bard just grabs 3-5 mobs with pbaoe snare, necro roots them all, flop charms and you’ll grind through north super fast. Once mobs start to summon in the other wings and have 6k+ hp, a solo bard is a waste of time.

Not something I would recommend without a very very proficient knowledge of the class and skills to back it up. Also a WC cap hotkeyed not a fun CR.

loramin
12-03-2020, 05:01 PM
I find pbaoe kiting 10-12 mobs in north NP at all. It’s not super fast exp but is doable 54+ and something fun to put on the resume ... With the long respawns though you aren’t gonna be making crazy exp gains ...
Not something I would recommend without a very very proficient knowledge of the class and skills to back it up. Also a WC cap hotkeyed not a fun CR.

It sounds like this would be an ideal camp for a Bard who wants a less competed-for spot, and likes to "AFK play" (kill a bunch, go AFK for a bit, repeat). Is that a fair assessment ... or would this be a bad spot even an AFK-style bard looking for an out-of-the-way spot?

Zipity
12-12-2020, 07:44 AM
It sounds like this would be an ideal camp for a Bard who wants a less competed-for spot, and likes to "AFK play" (kill a bunch, go AFK for a bit, repeat). Is that a fair assessment ... or would this be a bad spot even an AFK-style bard looking for an out-of-the-way spot?

This would be more of a bard solo artist challenge tbh, at 60 it’s a lot easier to gather the mobs but then you aren’t there for the exp. charming and what not is solid but the mobs have a lot of hitpoints(harmtouches help) but bards have no way of regaining mana quickly so even charm killing require long break after about 45-1hr. Not really a spot to get good exp, although on green ANYTHING is better than nothing and you most certainly could mix in charm,fear,dots and consistently clear a large portion of the wing or do the basement or the entrance on a bard. There are much better spots, I’d probably remove it from the wiki just for the sake of a newer bard getting an HS key and thinking they will just be able to easily solo lol.

And no it wouldn’t be a chill spot for someone looking for AFK exp.