PDA

View Full Version : Helping a friend to find a decent Job

Topgunben
11-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I have a friend that is looking for a job that pays decent here in the USA. He doesnt have a ton of experience (no college degree), really doesnt have the best people skills, but he is a hard worker, clean record, and doesnt have kids or wife, so hes good for traveling. Hes not an asshole, just a little socially awkward/autistic.

I figure having a traveling job might be good for him because it may pay more and he doesnt have anything tying him down anyway. So doing some type of industrial construction, working in the oil fields, installing solar panels are all job types that come to mind.

He's looking for something that pays atleast $25 an hour.

If you have any suggestions, please post your thoughts or feel free to PM me. I am simply doing this to help a buddy that is in a rut in his life, and needs a hand up.

imperiouskitten
11-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.

Topgunben
11-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.

He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.

Lizard1
11-19-2020, 08:31 PM
UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him

Topgunben
11-19-2020, 08:54 PM
UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him

Good suggestion. Is that money for drivers only?

imperiouskitten
11-19-2020, 10:33 PM
He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.

If he can fudge an interview and qualifications, Windows administration / "network admin" stuff is very easy to get into and pays good. Basically if he can reformat a box and learn to add a PC to domain from a youtube tutorial, there's tons of shops that'd have use for him. Also SQL server and database jobs, which looks like programming but it's just so damn easy and intuitive.

Idk how people get these UPS jobs and stuff, seems impossible to get contact back to me. not to discourage

bubur
11-19-2020, 11:49 PM
tell him
learn and take the following two certs:

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it

Topgunben
11-19-2020, 11:55 PM
tell him

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it

Interesting. I will send this his way.

He is 34 years old. I assumed that is too old to get started in programming.

bubur
11-19-2020, 11:58 PM
can do network+ (which is mostly physical networking, wiring and servers, etc, not programming) and search for IT jobs while doing sec+

would not stop halfway though

it's not about programming, obviously that helps, but you can learn it after passing the tests. it's about concepts and memorization. literally anyone can do it, but statistically very few are. and the jobs are expanding so rapidly that no one can fill them. they even made a new distinction in government aside from the gs-level specific to cybersecurity - reason being, they cant keep these certified people away from private industry

Shourty
11-20-2020, 12:47 AM
I was in the Air Force for 12 years and think that was a good steady secure job. Look into the military.

imperiouskitten
11-20-2020, 01:51 AM
It's true -- IT and computers has little to do with programming. What most IT people do is more comparable to plumbing or being an electrician.

Sales can also be extremely lucrative and personality is pretty much the only qualification. It's practically an executive position at many firms. If you can see him charming people.

Topgunben
11-20-2020, 02:25 AM
can do network+ (which is mostly physical networking, wiring and servers, etc, not programming) and search for IT jobs while doing sec+

would not stop halfway though

it's not about programming, obviously that helps, but you can learn it after passing the tests. it's about concepts and memorization. literally anyone can do it, but statistically very few are. and the jobs are expanding so rapidly that no one can fill them. they even made a new distinction in government aside from the gs-level specific to cybersecurity - reason being, they cant keep these certified people away from private industry

Great suggestion and something I think everyone here should know about.

Topgunben
11-20-2020, 02:26 AM
It's true -- IT and computers has little to do with programming. What most IT people do is more comparable to plumbing or being an electrician.

Sales can also be extremely lucrative and personality is pretty much the only qualification. It's practically an executive position at many firms. If you can see him charming people.

Nope. He doesn’t have any charm at all.

magnetaress
11-20-2020, 10:39 AM
you should probably try to employ your friend, bet you cant and your friend is unemployable so just kill yourselves

Topgunben
11-20-2020, 11:16 AM
you should probably try to employ your friend, bet you cant and your friend is unemployable so just kill yourselves

You are somewhat right. I am hoping though, if he can land a decent paying job he will start acting like an adult and less like a kid. He is a hard worker, but doesn’t seem to or doesn’t want to push himself to higher positions.

kjs86z
11-20-2020, 11:17 AM
+1 for UPS

You start in a warehouse and work your way up to driver. Once there you're set til retirement.

Just gotta bust ass.

magnetaress
11-20-2020, 11:41 AM
You are somewhat right. I am hoping though, if he can land a decent paying job he will start acting like an adult and less like a kid. He is a hard worker, but doesn’t seem to or doesn’t want to push himself to higher positions.

Yeah, sorry, I was being mean. I woke up seriously chuffed this morning. You didn't deserve it.

I wan't your friend to find a nice job too.

Stuff that requires minimal certification can lead to a fairly decent wage. I have a cousin who drives forklifts for ~$16 an hour and people who say go do the training for USPS and fill that application out over an over while working a service industry job. Or go right into UPS.

Also a lot of work at home customer support.

I feel like if someone needs a better job than min-wage-basic income, working those terrible jobs while persuing a better career is the way to go. You have to keep your eye on the prize and not sit there going 'oh working the CS counter at macy's is my life' those are positions to work for while ya get your comptia++ oracledb cert etc...

working tele-comm from home answering peoples calls about products online is huge if you could do that for cable or something you don't even have to spend money on a car, need a small tiny clean office area in your room you can screen off and have a little quiett and a decent internet connection

--- if he wants to work in an office, while he does simpler jobs he can work on accounting certifications and stuff and then he can hang out in an office doing the books for businesses

*note some of this stuff requires planning and moving to the locations with the big firm who does all the outsourced accounting, may include learning mandarin at some point

Also,

WELDING.

man if he's got talent for it like I did and he has the chops to stick with it... it's a never ending lead to more and more jobs of everykind

Wall O Lead
11-20-2020, 12:31 PM
Not to shit all over you or him and since no one else is doing it, I'll play the role of "reality".

Let's recap...

No tangible skills

Not a people person

Unreliable (that's what I gathered by "acts like a kid")

You checked off every box that shouldn't be checked on a job application.

Travel? With a position that requires a lot of travel, you must be reliable. All of these CompTIA/CCNA suggestions, require time and money. Also, the Network Administration field is increasingly becoming over inflated. A lot of it is being out sourced and technology is improving at a rate that allows 1 admin to manage networks that previously required 5. Cybersecurity is kind of the new "hotness" in the tech world right now.

Realistically, your friend will not find a job opportunity that pays 25+ an hour. Not in the near future at least. Unless you live in some crazy population dense city.

One last thing, this is a EverQuest forum, where the unemployed, disabled, and social burnouts gather in mass. Many here are very much, just like your friend. It's like asking an insane person for mental health advice.

magnetaress
11-20-2020, 12:35 PM
He could get a webcam and make some $$ that way.

Ripqozko
11-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Your friend sounds like a Bernie supporter

BiG SiP
11-20-2020, 01:31 PM
real glad im not the only wondering why the fuck is your “friend” not helping himself

Not to shit all over you or him and since no one else is doing it, I'll play the role of "reality".

Let's recap...

No tangible skills

Not a people person

Unreliable (that's what I gathered by "acts like a kid")

You checked off every box that shouldn't be checked on a job application.

Travel? With a position that requires a lot of travel, you must be reliable. All of these CompTIA/CCNA suggestions, require time and money. Also, the Network Administration field is increasingly becoming over inflated. A lot of it is being out sourced and technology is improving at a rate that allows 1 admin to manage networks that previously required 5. Cybersecurity is kind of the new "hotness" in the tech world right now.

Realistically, your friend will not find a job opportunity that pays 25+ an hour. Not in the near future at least. Unless you live in some crazy population dense city.

One last thing, this is a EverQuest forum, where the unemployed, disabled, and social burnouts gather in mass. Many here are very much, just like your friend. It's like asking an insane person for mental health advice.

Blingy
11-20-2020, 01:37 PM
If he's looking at computer type stuff here are a few places to start:

https://www.hoppersroppers.org/course.html

https://www.professormesser.com/

https://www.cybrary.it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ccna/comments/a7bmlw/everything_you_need_to_know_for_the_ccna_rs_read/

Lizard1
11-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Good suggestion. Is that money for drivers only?

You want to be a driver

tell him

comptia network+
comptia sec+

You are a complete retard, these two certs are worthless ( i have them ) and can complement a CCNP or MCSE but if you are lucky enough to get a basic job you wont pass minimum wage unless your amazing at what you do.

You have no career, you do drugs and play online games and post

+1 for UPS

You start in a warehouse and work your way up to driver. Once there you're set til retirement.

Just gotta bust ass.

You apply for a driver and train as a driver, you do not work yourself up. If you want to work at a DC ( Distribution center or hub ) you apply for a LOADER ( they load trucks that leave at 915am or night shift that unloads trucks that leave at 915pm to go to hubs. Meantime the rest of your shift you sort and get piles ready.

bubur
11-20-2020, 02:57 PM
ya prolly

op maybe ur friend can cut trees

Wall O Lead
11-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Your typical UPS delivery driver does not make 70k a year. These inflated wage reports, that lead you to believe that they may, are done in cities with extreme costs of living. Which 70k a year in LA is right around the equivalent to 35k outside of major cities.

Sounds like your friend has the work history of a teenager and should expect to make around $12-$13 an hour.

Bardp1999
11-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Truck driver might be a good option

Lizard1
11-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Your typical UPS delivery driver does not make 70k a year. These inflated wage reports, that lead you to believe that they may, are done in cities with extreme costs of living. Which 70k a year in LA is right around the equivalent to 35k outside of major cities.

Sounds like your friend has the work history of a teenager and should expect to make around $12-$13 an hour.

Yea every single 3 year driver makes 70 or between 65 and 70. Its unionized and very well funded.

$12-13 an hour? Minimum wage is 15 most places

GinnasP99
11-20-2020, 05:45 PM
I've been on UPS preload for 10+ years, going in to driving next year. Can confirm drivers do pretty well(if you're on some level smart with your money). Several drivers in my center are millionaires. UPS is also a kick ass job for staying in shape, and at the end of the day you have some pride in what you've done.

BiG SiP
11-20-2020, 05:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZIfN6up.gif

Ripqozko
11-20-2020, 05:52 PM
OP friend doesn’t want to work and will make excuses of why he will be a burden to society aka liberal. Hope that helps.

Wall O Lead
11-20-2020, 07:00 PM
Well I stand corrected. Did not know that. That ain't half bad.

Wall O Lead
11-20-2020, 07:02 PM
$15 is not everywhere. Federal minimum wage is $7.25 last I checked. But it certainly varies between States.

Lizard1
11-20-2020, 08:11 PM
Aldi pays $14 country wide and its the biggest upcoming grocery store ( And the best )

went there today and was shocked to see 5 cashiers open and almost no one in the store !

i guess people are not planning big holiday dinners

Lizard1
11-20-2020, 08:12 PM
I've been on UPS preload for 10+ years, going in to driving next year. Can confirm drivers do pretty well(if you're on some level smart with your money). Several drivers in my center are millionaires. UPS is also a kick ass job for staying in shape, and at the end of the day you have some pride in what you've done.

Dont forget while your driving around no one bothers you and every person you see or deliver to is happy to see you

And around holiday time, a good / nice driver can clean up

My ups guy gets 1k from me every year. The support drivers get $100 e ( 12 of them )

And im just one asshole : )

Shourty
11-21-2020, 01:40 AM
Reading these posts, I remembered I worked for a few years when times were hard as a temp employee thru a couple of the contractor services like Kelly Services.
They tried to keep me working and always found me a new position when one ran out.
It put food on the table and the wolves away from the door.

imperiouskitten
11-21-2020, 02:05 AM
Dont forget while your driving around no one bothers you and every person you see or deliver to is happy to see you

And around holiday time, a good / nice driver can clean up

My ups guy gets 1k from me every year. The support drivers get $100 e ( 12 of them )

And im just one asshole : )
ppl tip ups drivers?

Tethler
11-21-2020, 02:36 AM
OP friend doesn’t want to work and will make excuses of why he will be a burden to society aka liberal. Hope that helps.

Sorry you didn't get 4 more years of Trump. Also, blue state economies pay for the red state handouts. Talk about a burden to society.

kjs86z
11-21-2020, 06:23 AM
You apply for a driver and train as a driver, you do not work yourself up. If you want to work at a DC ( Distribution center or hub ) you apply for a LOADER ( they load trucks that leave at 915am or night shift that unloads trucks that leave at 915pm to go to hubs. Meantime the rest of your shift you sort and get piles ready.

You're retarded. I've spoken to many of my UPS drivers and they all say they started loading and worked their way to driver.

Lizard1
11-21-2020, 11:24 AM
ppl tip ups drivers?

Nice people do, they bring you the shit you buy online all year.

I tip them because they pickup my packages everyday ( Usually around 100 ) so its kind of a given.

Lizard1
11-21-2020, 11:27 AM
You're retarded. I've spoken to many of my UPS drivers and they all say they started loading and worked their way to driver.

A Driver position must not have been available, 3 new drivers were hired out of the deerfield beach hub in the past 2 months and they need 6 more. Click full time positions on careers page.

https://www.jobs-ups.com/category/full-time-jobs/1187/62255/1

If you want something for the holidays they are hiring loaders and helpers.

https://www.jobs-ups.com/search-jobs/Florida%2C%20US/1187/3/6252001-4155751/28x75054/-82x5001/15/2?utm_source=google.com&utm_campaign=region_7_district_40&utm_content=search_engine&utm_medium=paid_search&ss=paid&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkuP9BRCkARIsAKGLE8U4C5gewzeGu4Yy2l0F qbQ8Uv_AZjlccIhaqYkavMwmE-kSAKi9m0AaAtqeEALw_wcB