PDA

View Full Version : New Chanter Tips

project99toons
11-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Anyone have any tips for a brand new chanter?

• How do chanters solo without heals? Is it as simple as finding a camp, charming a mob, then slowing the mob its attacking so it takes less damage? Or do you usually find a healing duo partner like a Cleric/Shaman/Druid?

• What happens when charm breaks and you now have 2 mobs beating you down? I feel like you would die quick being a caster and such little HP, especially with a hasted pet.

• Do you normally mez your pet first, then charm it? Or do you mez/tash then charm? Or just run up to a mob and charm from a distance?

• How do you effectively pull a mob? Charm pet, park it it camp, pull to camp?

• Do you constantly have Rune up or only use for certain occasions?

Anything else that would be useful, please share. Thank you!

Izmael
11-15-2020, 02:42 PM
• How do chanters solo without heals? Is it as simple as finding a camp, charming a mob, then slowing the mob its attacking so it takes less damage? Or do you usually find a healing duo partner like a Cleric/Shaman/Druid?

Rune is what allows you mitigate the need for heals.
You'll still get whacked every once in a while, especially if soloing with animation pet, in which case you'll need to regen (troll illusion helps).

• What happens when charm breaks and you now have 2 mobs beating you down? I feel like you would die quick being a caster and such little HP, especially with a hasted pet.

Root your target so you only have your pet on you. Stun ASAP and mez - if lucky you only get 1 round of melee from your pet and it gets absorbed by your rune which you will have to recast.

• Do you normally mez your pet first, then charm it? Or do you mez/tash then charm? Or just run up to a mob and charm from a distance?

At low levels, can just freaking channel charm through pet's melee. Charms don't last all that long at these levels anyway.

The higher level pet you charm, the more need there is to stun, mez, tash, charm. Post level 30, you pretty much always do that.

Depends on the situation and your objective. Sometimes do like you said, sometimes send pet into a group of mobs and AE mez everything then peel mobs 1 by 1 while keeping the rest mezzed. Sometimes calm mobs and pull a single. Sometimes just mez a mob and that will pull his neighbour.

Sometimes you charm your objective and get it whacked on by trash mobs to get it low then finish it off.

There are too many situations to have a set answer.

When charming for exp, means charming mobs that can easily kill you, pretty much always have rune up. At higher levels you get Bedlam, component-free rune (that stacks with regular rune, too).

Duo with a healer is a lot more fun, safe and efficient than solo IMO but to each its own.
Level 16 AE Mez is an incredibly powerful spell - learn to leverage it.
At high levels - Blanket of Forgetfulness will often be your friend.
Make friends with a bunch of good clerics.
Don't burn yourself out trying to get your epic too quickly.
Don't underestimate the power of Animations - don't listen to people who say enchanters must always charm - these people have no clue.
Use your keyboard as much as possible and develop muscle memory for stuff like handling charm breaks or dealing with many mobs (over 6 is many for chanter as AE mez hits only up to 6).

Tunabros
11-15-2020, 04:21 PM
ROOT EVERYTHING

Stonewallx39
11-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Izmael’s response is really solid. The only thing I’d add is how important charisma is to an enchanter. It’s crazy important for charming to the point you’ll see noticeable differences in charm duration when your charisma buff wears off. Stack as much charisma as you can trying to get to 255 buffed.

In my mind stats for an enchanter prioritize as cha > hp > mana> ac

Oh and for selecting charm pets there are a couple checks charm has each tic to determine if it will break. Those are level difference between you and the pet, the pets magic resistance, and then charisma. Lower level pets with lower mgc resist will hold better as pets

Couple other handy tips, carry torches as giving this to your pet will make them dual wield (and enhances the ambiance in a dark dungeon) as you get higher lvl your charm will require either two stun or stun + mez to get off as the cast time is so long. There are pros and cons to each approach just play around with it to see which works for you. Lastly standing in a corner can help with regaining control when charm breaks. A hasted quadding pet generates a lot of push and will interrupt non stop, the corner can help you channel that stun or mez to regain control.

Baler
11-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Keep the stun on spellbar slot #1, it refreshes faster than the rest of the spell slots.

Vivitron
11-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Anyone have any tips for a brand new chanter?

Get an instant click item (probably a telescope pre-30 and rod of insidious glamour post 30). Hotkey it, and when you hit that hotkey after casting it resets the global spell casting cool down, so you can cast a different spell immediately. For the top spell slot, you can start casting that spell immediately even if it was the last one you cast, but the cast will fail if the cast ends before the spell's recast time has run its course.

Bandages are useful when solo. When charm soloing keep the target rooted. It's valid to kill a mob equal to your charm pet without slow/haste, invis to break charm when they are both low, and nuke both down. It's also valid to kill several mobs with a stronger pet. When soloing, if the pet does more than half the damage it takes half the xp; this damage count is erased by breaking charm or successfully blurring the target.

If you get two on you you can color stun and ae mez (you need maybe 70-80 mr to get pretty reliable at resisting your own ae mez, which you will eventually get through buffs), or kite if possible.

I often try to keep double runed (berserker line earlier in the effects order than the rune line so it takes damage first) especially when charm soloing, but will relax this especially if I'm in a group that needs my mana elsewhere and charm breaks seem low risk (weak pet, alert group). Pay attention to what gets you killed and try to minimize risk.

Keep the stun on spellbar slot #1, it refreshes faster than the rest of the spell slots.

Do you mean mez? I never considered putting stun in top slot. Mez and swap-slot are both nice top slot options. Swap is nice both because you can start casting the swapped spell quicker, and because it's nice for chain casting lull line spells or getting off a couple nukes faster. I find mez top slot to be nice when fighting resisty mobs, but otherwise prefer swap. I am currently experimenting with using the top slot for both mez and swap; I figure I can ae mez if I need it while mez is swapped.

unleashedd
11-17-2020, 02:02 PM
ive said this many times - when you mez something from behind, its 100% memblur. so once your target is near death, position yourself behind it, mez it and immediately call off your pet. then use a low level nuke to finish target. this yields 100% exp. other option is to invis yourself to break charm, but then you have to deal with the uncharmed pet, and have to recharm.

ideally thou, you wanna have two equal level mobs fighting each other so you're getting 200% exp every fight (from target mob kill and uncharmed pet kill)

or use the animation pet and take it easy. charming is for veteran players

enjchanter
11-17-2020, 02:44 PM

Dont do this
Keep two stuns loaded
1st slot being flexible is too important to put stun here

And it doesnt reason faster, if you use your gcd clicky it ungreys the spell gem so you can start the cast before the delay is up, but if the delay isnt up by the time the spell casts it will still fail

Stonewallx39
11-17-2020, 04:13 PM
ive said this many times - when you mez something from behind, its 100% memblur. so once your target is near death, position yourself behind it, mez it and immediately call off your pet.

Whaaat? Is that for real? I must test this!

enjchanter
11-17-2020, 07:54 PM
Whaaat? Is that for real? I must test this!

I'm pretty sure this is a troll lol

Stonewallx39
11-17-2020, 08:14 PM
Well he f’ing got me if he is. I’m really curious, I knew the lvl 4 mez had a chance of mem blurr but what if it always blurs line of site. Will test and report

enjchanter
11-17-2020, 08:15 PM
All mezzes have a chance to blur

unleashedd
11-18-2020, 08:20 AM
not trolling, speaking from experience. you have a ENC, go try it

Abominog
11-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Well he f’ing got me if he is. I’m really curious, I knew the lvl 4 mez had a chance of mem blurr but what if it always blurs line of site. Will test and report

Same. Anecdotally the level 4 mezz feels like it has a higher chance to blur. I never heard of the cast-from-behind thing, sounds too good to be true.

In situations like Iceclad or Firiona where it is feasible to fear kite with a rogue pet, I've just accepted the 50% penalty. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it felt like a lot of extra steps and slowdown to get earn the other 50%. If it's as simple as casting from behind that changes a lot.

Is there a reliable way to measure the experience earned from a mob? I mean a better way than just eyeballing it on the experience bar?

unleashedd
11-18-2020, 02:36 PM
most mobs have an engage emote - mez and watch for the emote; or con for a faction check

Sabin76
11-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Same. Anecdotally the level 4 mezz feels like it has a higher chance to blur. I never heard of the cast-from-behind thing, sounds too good to be true.

In situations like Iceclad or Firiona where it is feasible to fear kite with a rogue pet, I've just accepted the 50% penalty. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it felt like a lot of extra steps and slowdown to get earn the other 50%. If it's as simple as casting from behind that changes a lot.

Is there a reliable way to measure the experience earned from a mob? I mean a better way than just eyeballing it on the experience bar?

It's definitely a trade-off. The question is whether it's worth it. Do you spend less than double the amount of time and energy juggling conditions to get the 100% XP? If so, then it's worth it. If not, you are better off just sticking with the 50%, as you can kill more than twice as fast.

Personally, I don't think it's THAT much overhead, but I also haven't played an enchanter to high levels, so...

kjs86z
11-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Charming becomes easier with each and every ding. The level gap between you and blue cons will continue to increase, which is the biggest factor in determining charm durations. Don't get discouraged if you're trying in your 20s and it seems really hard.

Try to always keep in mind what the worst case scenario bad RNG could yield and have a plan for it.

When in doubt, gate out. Its far easier to reset and go again than CR / rez.

If the solo charm experience just isn't working for you, practice the mechanics in a group first. You can duo with a ton of different classes to make the learning curve much smoother.

Noren
12-02-2020, 07:05 AM
ive said this many times - when you mez something from behind, its 100% memblur. so once your target is near death, position yourself behind it, mez it and immediately call off your pet.

Tested, that don't work.

Process :
- Mez(lvl4) a KoS blue mob from behind.
- Invis myself.
- Consider.
- If i'm indif, mob is blurred. Threatening means he is mezzed and still KoS.

On 10 attempts I got :
- 4 indiff.
- 6 threatening.

I would not use this strat to get 100% exp.

Note : I have 255 cha and it's on green

Noren
12-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Tested, it doesn't work.

Process :
1) Mez in slot 1
2) Gina detect when mez land
3) Chain cast.
4) Get time between mez land
5) Repeat with slot 4

Refresh + recast time is the same in slot 1 or 4 : about 5s, so around 2,5s to refresh.

Baler
12-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Tested, it doesn't work.

Process :
1) Mez in slot 1
3) Chain cast.
5) Repeat with slot 4

Refresh + recast time is the same in slot 1 or 4 : about 5s, so around 2,5s to refresh.

You misunderstood what I was referring to.
The UI spell bar when it goes from grayscale to color / dimmed to full bright. Spell slot 1 refreshes milliseconds faster than 2-8. It's a known titanium 'bug'.

It doesn't let you cast spells faster*. What it does is give a quicker response to input.
This is why shm have cani on slot 1.

And again we're talking milliseconds. Spell slot 1 is the first in the chain of commands to refresh, internally in the titanium client.

It's also Not Classic, lol.

Edit: Also only benefits spells that have a short recast time if you intent to spam that spell.

unleashedd
12-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Tested, that don't work.

Process :
- Mez(lvl4) a KoS blue mob from behind.
- Invis myself.
- Consider.
- If i'm indif, mob is blurred. Threatening means he is mezzed and still KoS.

On 10 attempts I got :
- 4 indiff.
- 6 threatening.

I would not use this strat to get 100% exp.

Note : I have 255 cha and it's on green

then my variable must be level difference and/or range to target. was using lvl4 mez and aoe mez at lvl40 at CE in MM - seems every single mob re-emoted an agro message, which means memblur

Noren
12-02-2020, 09:39 AM
The UI spell bar when it goes from grayscale to color / dimmed to full bright. Spell slot 1 refreshes milliseconds faster than 2-8. It's a known titanium 'bug'.

It doesn't let you cast spells faster. What it does is give a quicker response to input.

And again we're talking milliseconds. Spell slot 1 is the first in the chain of commands to refresh, internally in the titanium client.

Ok, I can't test bellow second.

Baler
12-02-2020, 09:42 AM
Also has to do with Instant Clickies for GCD reset.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170288
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264932
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164864
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342945
https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/3q5c9z/gem_slot_one/

Noren
12-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Also has to do with Instant Clickies for GCD reset.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170288
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264932
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164864
https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/3q5c9z/gem_slot_one/

This works and will greatly improve my gameplay thanks.

Updated process :
1) Cast mez in slot 1
3) Click rod of insidious Glamour to refresh GCD
3) Chain cast mez
---
Same process with slot 4

On slot 1 : 3s between mez land.
On slot 4 : 5s, like previous test.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-02-2020, 11:43 AM

It doesn't let you cast spells faster*. What it does is give a quicker response to input.

It's also Not Classic, lol.

Edit: Also only benefits spells that have a short recast time if you intent to spam that spell.

Exactly. Nothing can stop a spells cooldown, but having the spell gem come up before the spell cooldown finishes allows you to start casting the spell WHIlLE the spell cooldown is going. This means you can finish casting the spell right after the cooldown finishes. This basically saves you up to x seconds, where x is the casting time of the spell.

Izmael
12-02-2020, 02:57 PM
This basically saves you up to x seconds, where x is the casting time of the spell.

Did you mean to say "where x is the cooldown time of the spell" instead?

DeathsSilkyMist
12-02-2020, 03:09 PM
Did you mean to say "where x is the cooldown time of the spell" instead?

Let me be more specific. The top spell gem allows you to click on said spell gem even if the spell cooldown is still going. Normally you are unable to click on a spell gem while it is on cooldown. The spell gem is greyed out, even after casting your global cooldown refresh item. For long cooldown spells like Divine Aura, this is useless because you will keep getting the "cooldown timer not met" message until the cooldown finishes.

For short cooldowns, this is useful, because you can start casting the spell while the spell cooldown is going. Let's take Cannibalize 4 as an example.

Cast Time: 2.5 Seconds
Cooldown Time: 3 Seconds
Lets say it takes 0.8 seconds for the top spell gem to pop back up after your global cooldown item has been cast.

1. You cast your global refresh cooldown item after your first cast of Cannibalize 4.

2. That means Cannibalize 4 has 2.2 seconds left on its cooldown, when accounting for the 0.8 seconds it took to get the spell gem back.

3. You start casting cannibalize 4 again. The casting time is 2.5 seconds, and the remaining cooldown time is 2.2 seconds. That means the Cannibalize 4 will finish casting 0.2 seconds after the cooldown has finished. That is what I mean by saving up to the spell's casting time. There is some variation based on how quickly you can do the combo. Once in a blue moon I get the "casting timer not met" message during my Cannibalize 4 sessions if I am a little too fast.

If this "feature" was not in the game, you would have to wait an additional 3 seconds per Cannibalize 4, because you are waiting for the spell gem to come back up first.

EDIT: The reason why I don't say "saving the spell's cooldown" is because I just want to make sure people understand what is going on. Technically you are saving the spell's casting time, not the cooldown time, because refreshing your global cooldown always needs to take enough time to put the total time over the cooldown time (2.5 seconds + 0.8 seconds in this example is over 3 seconds). It is more splitting hairs at this point on my end hehe. I guess the most accurate way to put it would be "You save the spell's cooldown time, but you still need to spend X additional seconds in casting after the cooldown, where X is the remaining casting time after the cooldown has finished."

Izmael
12-04-2020, 04:52 PM
I don't get it.

Imagine a spell that has a 30 seconds CAST TIME and 5 seconds COOLDOWN.

You won't ever save up to 30 seconds by memming it in slot 1 - the spell still takes 30 seconds to cast.

But you will save up to 5 seconds by doing so (because 30 > 5, the spell will always succeed as it will never complete before its cooldown is over), as it will allow you to START casting the spell before the cooldown is over.

Therefore, you are saving up to 5 seconds of time, which happens to be the spell's cooldown.

Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious..

Now on short-casting spells, the figures are a bit different but still, at no point you're saving spell's casting time unless it's a coincidence.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-04-2020, 05:10 PM
I don't get it.

Imagine a spell that has a 30 seconds CAST TIME and 5 seconds COOLDOWN.

You won't ever save up to 30 seconds by memming it in slot 1 - the spell still takes 30 seconds to cast.

But you will save up to 5 seconds by doing so (because 30 > 5, the spell will always succeed as it will never complete before its cooldown is over), as it will allow you to START casting the spell before the cooldown is over.

Therefore, you are saving up to 5 seconds of time, which happens to be the spell's cooldown.

Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious..

Now on short-casting spells, the figures are a bit different but still, at no point you're saving spell's casting time unless it's a coincidence.

EDIT: I see, you are using an example with a long cast time and a short cooldown. There aren't a lot of spells like that, so I don't really ever think in that regard. Usually the cast time is shorter or nearly equivalent to the cooldown.

If you want a sentence that covers every single possibility (not the general case), it would be something like this:

"You save up to the cooldown or casting time (which-ever one is longer), assuming the cooldown and casting time are roughly equivalent, and short enough to spam with a cooldown refresh item. You are still spending an additional x seconds, where x is the extra time it takes to make up the difference between the cooldown and casting time when refreshing your spell gems. "

Vivitron
12-04-2020, 05:16 PM
That's a valid example of saving the cooldown Izmael. Now for one where you save the cast time: pacify, a 3 second cast with 6 second cool down.

Normal slot: finish in 9 seconds.
Top slot: rejected if it finishes before 6 seconds (you save up to the 3 second cast time).

It seems you save the lesser of the two.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-04-2020, 05:30 PM
That's a valid example of saving the cooldown Izmael. Now for one where you save the cast time: pacify, a 3 second cast with 6 second cool down.

Normal slot: finish in 9 seconds.
Top slot: rejected if it finishes before 6 seconds (you save up to the 3 second cast time).

It seems you save the lesser of the two.

Yes, that is the end result. You never quite save the larger value, because you must always have the end of the spell cast exceed the cooldown. So you lose a bit of time there, depending on how far past the cooldown you go.

Its a little confusing to think about. On Cannibalize 4 for example:

Casting time: 2.5 Seconds
Cooldown time: 3 Seconds

You must wait at least 3 seconds to have the next cannibalize land. So I can see the appeal in just saying "you save the cooldown". But since the spell needs to land AFTER the cooldown has finished, you are spending a bit of additional time above the cooldown, depending on when the spell was cast. So if it takes 0.8 seconds to refresh the top spell slot, you are really waiting a total of 3.3 seconds for the second cannibalize to land. This means you really saved 3 - 0.3 seconds, which is 2.7 seconds, and closer to the casting time. Technically both sayings: "you save the cooldown" and "you save the casting time" are wrong, when looking at the example I just gave.

So maybe the best way to say it would be:

"You save the longer time (casting time or cooldown time), minus how much extra time it took to finish casting the spell after the cooldown time finished. This assumes the spell casting time and cooldown time are small enough to spam with a global cooldown refresh item."

In the rarer case where the spell cast time greatly exceeds the cooldown time (Like Complete Heal), you would be correct in saying you are saving the cooldown of the spell, minus the refresh time.

In the rarer case where the cooldown time greatly exceed the cast time (Like Divine Aura), you would save the casting time of the spell, minus the refresh time.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-04-2020, 06:01 PM
This is my fault. I thought I could condense all of the possibilities into one sentence, but that isn't the case. Now that I see what Izmael is saying. I like trying to simplify into a single equation if possible:)

These are the three possibilities the top spell slot gives you, based on the spell:

1. If the casting time exceeds the cooldown time, you can save up to the cooldown time.

2. If the cooldown time greatly exceeds the casting time, you can save up to the casting time.

3. If the cooldown time is greater than the casting time (but not by a large margin), then you can save the cooldown time minus the additional time it took to finish casting the spell after the cooldown has finished.

EDIT: I think this is why I said it "saves the casting time" earlier, because two out of the three possibilities listed are times shorter than the cooldown time. So if I had to give a super short answer, technically "saving the casting time" (or close to the casting time) would be the more common scenario for the majority of spells. At least from my experience with caster classes. I certainly haven't played all of them, so I may be underestimating how many spells fit scenario 1. But ideally the discussion should be on a per spell basis for maximum clarity.

Hisamori
12-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Organize your spell book and learn to page through it quickly. More than any other class I've played, I need to swap spells on my enchanter, quickly. Sometimes in the middle of stun duration.

I use xbutton mouse to map my mousewheel click to /book 3 macro in hotkey 10. Thumb mouse 1 is right arrow to page forward, thumb mouse 2 is left arrow to page backwards. This lets me access pages 1 through 6 extreme quickly without moving my hand from WASD.

Shift 1 4 I rebound spell gems 1-4, shift q through r are gems 5 through 8.

My loadout for spells is:

1 flex, usually root, tash, slow, AE mez (can mem and cast in duration of color slant or color skew), buffs, basically everything else.

2. Color slant
3. Color skew
4. Charm, can be used to sub in nuke (usually dementia) if breaking charm for killing pet.
5. Mez, entrance, dazzle, etc. depending on duration needed.
6. Bedlam or flex for weaker nuke (usually agnarchy) when breaking pets.
7. Wandering Mind 99% of the time. Used this for gate when racing for VD or other rare situations.
8. Theft of Thought 100% of the time.

project99toons
12-23-2020, 02:28 PM
What’s your Chanter spell load out? My Chanter is about to hit 54, so I’m curious what your load outs are and strategies.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Vivitron
12-26-2020, 08:35 PM
What’s your Chanter spell load out? My Chanter is about to hit 54, so I’m curious what your load outs are and strategies.

Thanks for all the feedback!

My main load out has recently been:

1. main swap (buff, slow, dispel, lull line, nuke)
2. level 4 mez
3. root
4. theft of thought
5. color slant
6. color skew
7. second swap (often tash, berserker strength, ae mez)
8. often leaving charm up here

Slant and skew are mana hogs but I've found it pretty nice to be able to perma stun lock off two spell slots and to be able to recharm within a stun instead of mezzing. Both of those use cases are especially nice when you expect occasional broken mezzes. Now that I think about it I might give enthrall or entrance a shot over the level 4 mez on occasions where I am relying on stun for recharm.

Before theft of thought I pretty much permanently had ae mez memmed, and I've regretted not having it memmed a couple times.