PDA

View Full Version : Everquest: Claws of Veeshan (27th Expansion) Announced

galach
10-14-2020, 05:50 PM
https://www.everquest.com/news/preorder-producers-letter-oct-2020

Notable Features
6 Expansion Zones - Follow the chilling trail of ice into the lands dominated by the dragons of Velious. Find the source of the mysterious and restless ice and put an end to the dangers that have enveloped the entire continent.

New Raids, Quests, and Missions

New Spells, Combat Abilities, and AAs

New Collections
Dragon's Hoard - A dragon's hoard for those that have collected so many items, it is nigh impossible to contain. This is an additional space to hold all those items you may need once more but do not need now.

There is so much more to reveal over the coming weeks as we launch beta and preorders for Claws of Veeshan on October 21 between 10 AM and 12 PM (Noon) PDT. Don’t forget, If you pre-order, you will get access to Beta. I hope to see you all there!

Looks like it will be the rest of Velious 2.0 that was released last year.

Tunabros
10-14-2020, 06:12 PM
Man I thought we were done with dragons lol

Bardp1999
10-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Just let our sweet EQ RIP

https://i.imgur.com/B6U5D5E.jpg

charmcitysking
10-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Yikes

Evia
10-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Yikes

FatherSioux
10-14-2020, 08:14 PM
It’s funny how live EQ is so harshly judged here considering we’re playing the same content we’ve all played numerous times over and over. Mental illness must afflict 75% of the playerbase.

Tunabros
10-14-2020, 08:37 PM
It’s funny how live EQ is so harshly judged here considering we’re playing the same content we’ve all played numerous times over and over. Mental illness must afflict 75% of the playerbase.

BUT ITS CLASSIC THO

Danth
10-14-2020, 08:46 PM

Do you think the same of folks enjoy chess, or golf? I've played those games "over and over" too. I'm not inclined to toss a hobby in the trashcan simply because it isn't new anymore.

----------------------------------------

With now 27 expansions in 21+ years, what is the current rate of new expansion production? For awhile Sony was cranking them out two a year but clearly it must have slowed. Due to its age and extended timeline EQ serves as an example of the downfall of the MMO-RPG genre due to the expansion business model: If you find such a game you like, in most cases it's only a matter of time until it morphs into something completely different.

Danth

Morton Jr
10-14-2020, 08:47 PM
i watched the torment of velious avatar of war video, it was the rallos zek model from pop and he did not even walk correctly like they cut and pasted it into that zone.

No new textures or models all they did was add a few levels and give each classes an upgrade

i tried playing a few months ago there are so many AAs it will make your head spin, yea you get them fast but jesus christ how can you figure out what order you should buy them in

White_knight
10-14-2020, 08:51 PM
Yikes

FatherSioux
10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Do you think the same of folks enjoy chess, or golf? I've played those games "over and over" too. I'm not inclined to toss a hobby in the trashcan simply because it isn't new anymore.

----------------------------------------

With now 27 expansions in 21+ years, what is the current rate of new expansion production? For awhile Sony was cranking them out two a year but clearly it must have slowed. Due to its age and extended timeline EQ serves as an example of the downfall of the MMO-RPG genre due to the expansion business model: If you find such a game you like, in most cases it's only a matter of time until it morphs into something completely different.

Danth

Imagine equating chess and golf to p99.

bubur
10-14-2020, 10:40 PM
nice was just thinking about this a couple days ago - we were due for an announcement. every single year getting a qtr 4 new xpac since 2007; and before that EVEN MORE often

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:expansions

21 years; 27 xpacs

dats eq baby

Topgunben
10-14-2020, 11:26 PM
Just let our sweet EQ RIP

https://i.imgur.com/B6U5D5E.jpg

bubur
10-14-2020, 11:31 PM
old man maga hat who retired his closest to lv 60 endorses meme about game he claims is dead but actually left him behind and he never really understood

pras eq live
pras tlps
pras JCHAN!

Jibartik
10-15-2020, 12:03 AM
Sounds like fun content for my 12 autobot army to grind through while I manage scripts and data in a spreadsheet on a second monitor.

Bardp1999
10-15-2020, 12:06 AM
Sounds like fun content for my 12 autobot army to grind through while I manage scripts and data in a spreadsheet on a second monitor.

I LOL'd IRL

Tunabros
10-15-2020, 12:36 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't find boxing fun at all?
Like whats the point... It feels so annoying to do

Ennewi
10-15-2020, 12:46 AM

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/55642407.pdf

Social Interaction Design in MMOs
Nelson Zagalo and Aníbal Gonçalves
Abstract:
This chapter discusses logics of design implemented within MMO’s to support social interaction. First
we try to understand how designers attract players to games that request constant collaboration and
cooperation actions to play and progress, and then how do they maintain the interest throughout
playing. For the first question we discuss in depth the design for social interdependency, as for the
second, we present a study on persuasion techniques used in the design of social game mechanics.
We’ve used World of Warcraft as our main case study.
Key words: game design, social interaction, MMO, persuasion, interdependency

1. Introduction
Games are inherently of social nature. Chess or checkers were designed to be experienced not only
with the game itself, but also with others. On the other hand, videogames are inherently of solitary
nature. Since the beginning, the story of games was attached to the specificity of putting the machine
in the place of the opponent. A.S. Douglas PhD thesis on Human-Machine Interaction (1954) at the
University of Cambridge was to prove that he could build an algorithm that would be able to respond
as a human-to-human play. Or even Pong, the beauty of it was that we could be alone at home and
still play the game against the machine.
The question raised is, what is more rewarding to the user? We've seen from the current trends in
videogames that the social has never been vanished, and more than ever videogames use the social
as condition to sell. Starting with MUDs, then MMOs and more recently Social Games, online games
were able to bring the social into the equation again – even more so than before.
Therefore studying MMOs means studying social aspects of games, aspects as “human attachment”
(Bowlby, 1969:39) or in a broader sense, how communities are built. Mammalian babies would not
survive without strong attachment with parents, which feel in return the need to protect and take care,
a process of basic bonding. As most studies in Positive Psychology demonstrate, millennia of
evolution took us to feel the most rewarded through doing good to others (Sheldon e Lyubomirsky,
2004). This takes us to the main question about what generates groups and communities, and why do
they stay together? The answers are in survival, the group is a condition to survive for mammalians,
and we can say that the energy to propel grouping comes from the actions of interdependence
between members of a group.

Nuggie
10-15-2020, 01:05 AM

Trying to 6 box on 2 pc's in 2002 without a 3rd party software to manage the dps classes(or any other class) was a challenge. Trying to keep my alt tabbing in order in my head as I'm firing hotkey after hotkey.

Now imagine playing 3 characters while you're watching your AI tank get healed by your AI healers while you run 3 other classes. Much less challenging. Less endorphin release when you don't wipe.

There is a difference between then and now.

I tried giving live EQ servers a shot about 8 years back. I didn't know how to play my character after getting some damned "catch-up" level-up to 85. There were too many options on the UI for me to decipher. Too many AA's. Too many zones with not enough players in them. There was something called dailys that I had to do but didn't understand.

I felt like an old person learning to use the PC for the first time. It was scary and I wasn't having it. There is just too much damned "catch up" to do. No thank you. I will stick to P99.

Jibartik
10-15-2020, 02:30 AM

Haha I got hooked into it on live at one point, I ran a party of 6 with MQ2 (dont worry im not a hacker someone who had a subscription to it was showing me how, because I was trying to box 3 characters manually and that was as much as I could handle and he introduced me to the dark underbelly of live eq. I ended up gifting him my 6 characters down the road, he was a chinese gold farmer that lived in an industrial wasteland according to google maps, or so he claimed! ...Looking back I feel like he just recruited me to level up 6 characters for him to sell but oh well haha.) but I'm not even sure I think MQ2 is like legal on live now? Idk.. but boxers all use it, no way they dont, I found every single person I was talking to used it on live at the secrets of faydwer time when I was playing... it's fun, but it is by no means everquest. It's a game about managing a squad of bots for sure.

It is nothing I would consider a "fantasy roleplaying game" its definitely more like a "bot AI machine game" like Factorio (https://youtu.be/DR01YdFtWFI?t=47) lol

charmcitysking
10-15-2020, 04:57 AM
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/55642407.pdf

Yikes

Ennewi
10-15-2020, 06:49 AM
Any EQish games out lately with epic PvP? (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278520)

Old 07-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

chess combines RPG and pure PvP elements along with Multiplayer mode.

Raiding in P1999 is nothing like raiding in classic. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121383)

09-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgander View Post
It's not very much fun because there's such thing here as fair competition. Imagine if you would, a game of chess where black has the official starting pieces: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights, and 8 pawns.

Now imagine you're black, and you're playing the game against white, who's starting pieces are: 1 king, 7 queens, and 8 pawns.

Just doesn't sound like equality.
Bad analogy.

The playing field was equal to begin with. Both sides had the same pieces to use. But then when TMO kept playing, and playing well, their opponent kept leaving the game to watch TV, play Xbox, go outside, etc. Now things are unequal because TMO has all of its pieces left while their opponent is down to a king and a few pawns.

The raid scene isn't unequal just like the game of chess isn't unequal. The issue lies with the players, not the games. The chess player who stays at the game and considers his options and has studied how to play is going to beat the player who keeps running off and isn't paying attention. The p99 player who plays a lot and tracks and bought accounts/leveled is going to "beat" the player who plays casually.

Moral of the story? If you don't like getting your ass kicked in a game of chess, then find another game to play. Or I guess you could keep petitioning World Chess Federation to change the rules of the game.

http://gamestudies.org/0901/articles/lastowka

EverQuest sits somewhere between a video game and a traditional game. On first glance, it may seem closer to Space Invaders than to golf or tennis. As in Space Invaders, the game rules of Norrath might be seen, at least at first, as those abilities and restrictions which are present in the game’s code. Indisputably, software-coded ‘rules’ do exist in Norrath, and these ‘rules’ were set by SOE. Players can, and do, break these ‘coded’ rules. This type of rule breaking is described variously as cheating, exploiting, duping, or hacking. When players engage in behaviors that “break” software code, they may also subject themselves to legal liability. As a legal matter, under laws prohibiting computer trespass, unauthorised player access to EverQuest’s code level may even amount to a crime against SOE under existing laws. Still, players often to attempt to exploit game software, and these types of behaviours have long been part of the history of online communities (see Dibbell 1998; Morningstar & Farmer 1990).

The United States Supreme Court has actually struggled with this conflict between sports and law in the case of PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin. In that case, the Court overruled the PGA’s interpretation of the rules of golf in favor of another version of those rules as promulgated by Congress. The question was one of statutory interpretation. The PGA Tour had refused to permit golfer Casey Martin to use a golf cart to drive between holes of a golf course during play. It claimed the ‘walking rule’ of golf prohibited this action. Casey claimed that the Americans with Disabilities Act should permit him to use a golf court as a reasonable accommodation for his disability. In finding that Congress had required the PGA to ignore its own rules and to accommodate Casey, Justice Stevens based the Court’s decision upon the small importance of the ‘walking rule’ to the game. He stated that the ‘walking rule that is contained in [PGA's] hard cards, based on an optional condition buried in an appendix to the Rules of Golf, is not an essential attribute of the game itself’. Hence, Congress had apparently required the PGA to ignore this rule and privilege accomodation. Justice Scalia, in dissent, disagreed that Congress would (or should) rewrite private game rules. In defense of play’s inherent autonomy, Scalia asked:

If Norrath is viewed as a game (like golf), the law seems to minimize its expressive function. While game rules are granted some legal deference, they are not granted the legal deference accorded to texts.

Tunabros
10-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Haha I got hooked into it on live at one point, I ran a party of 6 with MQ2 (dont worry im not a hacker someone who had a subscription to it was showing me how, because I was trying to box 3 characters manually and that was as much as I could handle and he introduced me to the dark underbelly of live eq. I ended up gifting him my 6 characters down the road, he was a chinese gold farmer that lived in an industrial wasteland according to google maps, or so he claimed! ...Looking back I feel like he just recruited me to level up 6 characters for him to sell but oh well haha.) but I'm not even sure I think MQ2 is like legal on live now? Idk.. but boxers all use it, no way they dont, I found every single person I was talking to used it on live at the secrets of faydwer time when I was playing... it's fun, but it is by no means everquest. It's a game about managing a squad of bots for sure.

It is nothing I would consider a "fantasy roleplaying game" its definitely more like a "bot AI machine game" like Factorio (https://youtu.be/DR01YdFtWFI?t=47) lol

lol! Might as well just play Kenshi (https://www.google.com/search?q=kenshi+game&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS877US877&oq=kenshi+game&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j69i65l2j69i60l3.3141j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

FatherSioux
10-15-2020, 11:15 AM
Imagine thinking a game that takes actual skill and physical ability is the same as pressing 5 keys a minute as you watch WW2 documentaries because you are a compete failure, all while slamming gamer fuel. Seek help

Nuggie
10-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Imagine thinking a game that takes actual skill and physical ability is the same as pressing 5 keys a minute as you watch WW2 documentaries because you are a compete failure, all while slamming gamer fuel. Seek help

You seem to be confused. Making a post to degrade someone is what happens in RnF. RnF is that way ------->

This is where you make a post to add something to the topic of discussion.

FatherSioux
10-15-2020, 11:28 AM
The place you’re referring to is actually ^

douglas1999
10-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Ever since I saw that screenshot with the fuckin gingerbread men or whatever the hell that was I swore to never go back

strongNpretty
10-15-2020, 11:40 AM

I'm with you.. Boxing is a really really silly thing.. And kinda depressing to see humans do haha...

Tunabros
10-15-2020, 03:50 PM
I'm with you.. Boxing is a really really silly thing.. And kinda depressing to see humans do haha...

Man gotta be so desperate that he plays the whole damn party
or has no friends
or hates friends
or hates himself

Danth
10-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Never cared for running multiple characters, either. Just isn't fun. Playing EQ for fun....seems like an oft-forgotten notion by some elements of this community.

Danth

FatherSioux
10-15-2020, 08:03 PM
Never cared for running multiple characters, either. Just isn't fun. Playing EQ for fun....seems like an oft-forgotten notion by some elements of this community.

Danth

Morton Jr
10-15-2020, 08:10 PM
Ever since I saw that screenshot with the fuckin gingerbread men or whatever the hell that was I swore to never go back

Aradune has these really cool pet familiars that look really creepy, one was gingerbread pet skin one was zombie rat. Looked ultra creepy.

Their classic era server did not feel classic at all. Stay here imo.

Lojik
10-16-2020, 08:38 AM

Danth

Fun? Is that some gen z term?

bubur
10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
you haven't lived until you spend your ill-gotten stein of moggok farm krono horde on some burgers that give you thousands of hp and 2-3x the hp regen of a fungi just from sitting in your inventory, oh and some gear too

all so you can let your merc do absolutely everything for you anyway

na but for real, playing a rogue is pretty fun solo with a merc, and you can do it the whole way up. would recommend a lil look-see if you happen to 'come across' a few spare kr on your way tripping up the tlp rank and file

Jibartik
10-16-2020, 06:22 PM
Man gotta be so desperate that he plays the whole damn party
or has no friends
or hates friends
or hates himself

hey I just wanted to kill gods and kings in expansions nobody played :p

Foxplay
10-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Can someone explain to me (other than just re-using old ideas / expansions / nostalgia) How and when Everquest looped back in time to go do kunark and velious again? lol What is the in-game explanation around that lol

bubur
10-17-2020, 02:23 AM
Can someone explain to me (other than just re-using old ideas / expansions / nostalgia) How and when Everquest looped back in time to go do kunark and velious again? lol What is the in-game explanation around that lol

not sure what you mean if we cant reference the "Empire of Kunark" 2016 and "Ring of Scale" 2017. Even the "Burning Lands" 2018 was a callback to a popular zone in PoP.

I guess it's because the company was passed around like a hot potato and they want desperately to capitalize on the tlp's by coercing people to play something they might find familiar

but problem is for every one that played classic or p99 is that live is still PoK-based and forces/strong suggests you into a shitty tutorial from 2006

would be super cool if the new company took it into a new direction but instead they just kept playing the formula. lack of creativity. lack of innovation. wish I could say lack of funding but they makin large on those tlps i mentioned; no wonder they happen every year

so yeah. it probably has something to do with the tlp's

edit: oh you said in-game. no there is no explanation. you just talk to someone in PoK and go to the new xpac. ignore all of what I wrote. there's no lore

Mblake81
10-17-2020, 07:21 AM

matter of taste.

douglas1999
10-17-2020, 01:36 PM

I had the exact same question. I remember seeing that velious 2.0 expansion launch and I was like wait what?? What the hell are they doing? What??

douglas1999
10-17-2020, 02:23 PM
"Grant! The dinosaurs are back!"

Ok imma head out

Arteker
10-18-2020, 12:06 AM
not sure what you mean if we cant reference the "Empire of Kunark" 2016 and "Ring of Scale" 2017. Even the "Burning Lands" 2018 was a callback to a popular zone in PoP.

I guess it's because the company was passed around like a hot potato and they want desperately to capitalize on the tlp's by coercing people to play something they might find familiar

but problem is for every one that played classic or p99 is that live is still PoK-based and forces/strong suggests you into a shitty tutorial from 2006

would be super cool if the new company took it into a new direction but instead they just kept playing the formula. lack of creativity. lack of innovation. wish I could say lack of funding but they makin large on those tlps i mentioned; no wonder they happen every year

so yeah. it probably has something to do with the tlp's

edit: oh you said in-game. no there is no explanation. you just talk to someone in PoK and go to the new xpac. ignore all of what I wrote. there's no lore

everquest lore advanced and moved long ago, characters u know from first expansions dead and buried, even gods,

i find amusing people bashin eq current game when they keep playing a old version of it while others players enjoy the game far lonegr than them proving they like it more,

rip morden rasp, he had the worst death for a mmo franchise character

enjchanter
10-18-2020, 12:23 AM

Danth

Honestly, i went on live recently and played a little box crew (bst/nec/cler) and ran tank / rogue merc

Kinda fizzled out around like 60ish but i actually had a lot of fun boxing LDoN missions as an xp grind.

If i wasnt so invested in Shadowlands on wow right now , id probably take the box team a bit further tbh

Morton Jr
10-18-2020, 01:26 PM
They dont really have any "New" Ideas, they reskinned kael and there are some big named giants like vindi or whatever and the avatar of war had the pop graphic. I found it to be kinda boring but all classes have tons of instant cast abilities that people like.

The second part of the new velious will basically add a TOV that is max level with new skin dragons. The raids are cool but it will never have the challenge classic type everquest did. Also even casters have unreal hp now.

Tunabros
10-19-2020, 04:48 PM
hey I just wanted to kill gods and kings in expansions nobody played :p

Haha that is fun sometimes ill log on my lv 80 SK and head to zones in velious and wreck everything then log off and go back to playing p99