PDA

View Full Version : WoW emulator?

Gerwynd
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I have found that I love playing EQemu because its the whole game free (apart from donations). I have returned to games like LoTRO, DDO and some others that I used to play in the old days. I have never played WoW before and dont really want to pay to check it out.
Does anyone know about any free WoW emulators?

Hasbinbad
05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Go away.

Kika Maslyaka
05-13-2011, 08:00 PM
there are many - just search google.
the problem is, WoW doesn't had a single coding hub like eq emu- there are like 5 different wow emu core-bases in US alone, that all run in a different way. Each of them have something working, and something broken, and each only partially complete.

Troy
05-13-2011, 09:12 PM
WoW was actually pretty damn good when it was first created - and a lot closer to classic EQ than you might think by looking at the state of the game today. Then it was made steadily worse and worse over the years to make it easier and simpler/quicker for the casual player, just like EQ.

Swish
05-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I can't think of anything I'd hate more, I had my doubts about a free EQ server to start with but the old EQ community spirit is there and that's fantastic.

Somehow the backward unfriendly WoW community, on a free server... doesn't fill me with much confidence that it would be any fun to play on ;(

Keep it here, keep it P99 :)

Duma
05-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I've played on a few WoW private servers over the last couple years and they are all mostly a waste of time and should be shut down.

99% of them are blatant profiteering criminals selling donor gear and pocketing all the funds.

All the major cores developer teams seem only interested in getting their core updated to whatever is current on Blizzlive. Things from Vanilla and TBC that have been broke for years are still broke because they have moved on with no intent of ever making it work.

And yeah the communities. Worse than live.

Dalien
05-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Honestly dude if you want to try WoW just google "wow free trial" and don't screw with the broken ass emu servers. Its like a 10 day trial and more than enough time to decide if you like the game or hate it.

Daywolf
05-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Honestly dude if you want to try WoW just google "wow free trial" and don't screw with the broken ass emu servers. Its like a 10 day trial and more than enough time to decide if you like the game or hate it.10 days? nah, it's pretty polished for the newbie zones. Even EQ made the ultimate polished starting area to get people to buy a box and sub, which is unlike the rest of the game hehe. 20+ days into WoW it starts to show the suckage, really. By the time you work your way into the expansion areas, you say to yourself "now I know why they all say "I'mmmmm Booooored"". If you want to be one of the cool kids though, you gotta get the real sub, then you can come back here and criticize/troll our game as is the norm :o

naez
05-14-2011, 02:11 PM
http://tinyurl.com/rank1cya

Mcbard
05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Guys, we have an oFf topic forum for a reason..

mimixownzall
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
McBard be regulatin...

Amphitryon
05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I've played on a few WoW private servers over the last couple years and they are all mostly a waste of time and should be shut down.

99% of them are blatant profiteering criminals selling donor gear and pocketing all the funds.

All the major cores developer teams seem only interested in getting their core updated to whatever is current on Blizzlive. Things from Vanilla and TBC that have been broke for years are still broke because they have moved on with no intent of ever making it work.

And yeah the communities. Worse than live.

I beg to differ when it comes to the technical aspects of the core groups. I have run a WoW Manggos/UDB server for quite some time for friends and family, and have found that updates to features and to content, including bug fixes come in a steady stream.

UDB updates their database project with a patch on a monthly basis, and every DB patch has even more data filled in, more quest fixes, more incomplete content, completed.

In Fact as far as the MANGOS team is concerned, getting 'Cataclysm' working is not a driving force (in fact they shut down all 'When is Cataclysm going to be supported' threads.) They are centered on stability, not features. In that regards, its important to not mistake WoW-Repack distributors with the core teams, as the repack makers are the ones that load up on kludges, and other half-baked schemes to operate 'fun servers'.

Its true, there are for-profit operators out there, though they don't concern me, as frankly if someone wanted to, they could do the same thing with EQEmu and there is not a thing to do about it other than just do not use their servers. In fact there may be some, who knows?

Now, as someone who has been running and tinkering with their own collection of MMO emulators, I have found it quite easy to make a WoW emulator using MANGOS/UDB just as 'hardcore' as EQ classic.

That being said, is anyone actually interested in playing a version of WoW that is just as challenging as classic EQ? My guess is no, but I do know how to make it happen.

Ihealyou
05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't get why everyone who plays EQ hates on WoW by calling it easy. If anything, combat in WoW is more difficult than in EQ. In WoW, you have lots of abilities to use, most of which have short recast timers, you have to move around to dodge AEs and special attacks, there's scripted events, etc. In EQ, you hit auto attack and maybe cast a couple of spells. EQ is more hardcore and frustrating, but if spending hours to see any noticable progress makes a game difficult, watching paint dry is the hardest game ever invented.

That being said, WoW sucks due to the numerous 13 year olds who play and the complete lack of any community.

Bruno
05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't get why everyone who plays EQ hates on WoW by calling it easy. If anything, combat in WoW is more difficult than in EQ. In WoW, you have lots of abilities to use, most of which have short recast timers, you have to move around to dodge AEs and special attacks, there's scripted events, etc. In EQ, you hit auto attack and maybe cast a couple of spells. EQ is more hardcore and frustrating, but if spending hours to see any noticable progress makes a game difficult, watching paint dry is the hardest game ever invented.

That being said, WoW sucks due to the numerous 13 year olds who play and the complete lack of any community.

Imagine if some of the healers on p99 had to heal a heroic wow raid as lets say a shaman? Maybe they wouldn't cry they had to press 2 buttons every 15 seconds. That should be a prerequisite or something.

Rogean
05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Why is this in server chat?

naez
05-14-2011, 09:40 PM
working just fine. Waiting for more excitement.

well at least you finally posted this garbage in a thread where it semi- makes sense

Lelroni
05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I've actually been looking for a 'classic'/vanilla WoW emu server but never found one ;(. I enjoyed early WoW.

Daywolf
05-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I've actually been looking for a 'classic'/vanilla WoW emu server but never found one ;(. I enjoyed early WoW.There isn't one. It crossed my mind too, wanted to see if people were running one since vanilla got a lot of praise by the people that condemn the later releases (seems more legit, you know?). Looked for days, not a vanilla wow server to be seen. Probably too hard to put that together, if there were drastic client changes between vanilla and current versions. Could take yyyyears to do that, and client modifications, meaning it's probably a lot easier to just copy an existing emu and cash cow in on it like all the other wow emu servers seem to be doing :o