PDA

View Full Version : Building an AR or AK thread

Topgunben
09-21-2020, 11:28 PM
Hey Gents.

I’ve been wanting to build a tactical rifle of some sorts. I’ve been toying with the idea for several years, but now I’m going to pull the trigger and do it. My budget is anywhere from $450 to $850, which is why I want to build vs buy complete as I feel I can get a better deal assembling it myself.

I like the AK platform because of its robustness and common cheap parts. I also like the bigger diameter round of the AK because it’s got more stopping power and I think it would be a decent hunting rifle if I ever needed to use it in a pinch. I have heard that AKs aren’t nearly as easy to build, some things I have read said you’ll need thousands of dollars of tools to assemble them, but I’m not sure. It also seems like the price to buy a kit on these is higher than an AR, but to buy them complete they are cheaper.... strange.

The AR platform seems to be the easiest to assemble, price is the cheapest (thinking about buying a PSA kit) and I like the way they look and feel, but there are a couple things I’m not so sure about. One is the .223 is a smaller round, still very powerful, but doesn’t seem to have the stopping power of the bigger AK round. The 2nd is that some of the buttons and selectors seem to be prone to jamming/clogging with cold or dirty conditions. For instance the mag release push button or the fire/safety selector aren’t built with leverage in mind. With that said, I am leaning towards this option because ammo seems cheapest for .223 and AR mods and parts are ez to come by.

Last is the AR 10. Price is high, but man it would be awesome to have a semi auto .308. I feel like this would be the ultimate rifle, but parts and ammo are a lot more expensive and much harder to come by.

So I’m hoping some of you can shed some light and give your options on what you think is best. Maybe your rifle of choice isn’t on my list, so feel free to share.

Baler
09-21-2020, 11:45 PM
I prefer ak over ar due to it's less expensive price tag including parts as you mentioned. I don't feel bad if I get a scratch on it or have to hit the stock on a table to dislodge a shell.
I have a few kalashnikov (USA) semi-auto, fun as heck to shoot at the range and one setup for deer.

edit: some gun pron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ZefdvGzY

I know guys who swear by AR over AK,. honestly It's preference and what you're looking to get out of it. There are a lot of over priced ARs in my opinion.
editedit: oh, and I buy locally through a guy. He can order me just about anything within state law. I own multiple because he gets some awesome deals.
Actually having a harder time lately finding affordable ammo. I have a terrible habbit of blowing through a few hundreds dollars at the range. :o

Topgunben
09-21-2020, 11:53 PM
I prefer ak over ar due to it's less expensive price tag including parts as you mentioned. I don't feel bad if I get a scratch on it or have to hit the stock on a table to dislodge a shell.

I have a few kalashnikov semi-auto, fun as heck to shoot at the range and one setup for deer.

edit: some gun pron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ZefdvGzY

Where is the best place to buy AKs and do people build them like they do ARs?

Baler
09-22-2020, 12:19 AM
do people build them like they do ARs?

The AK platform has been tightened up for the modern age. it's not the loose piece of shit people think it is from yee old days. As such the market has expanded to meet demand. Those AR guys can't get to have all the fun!

There are plenty of mods/kits/parts for AK now-a-days too.
In one of mine I put in a geissele AK trigger. It's half the pull,way smoother and was affordable.

hardcore AR guys probably hate me now lol
I'm also a glock guy.

You can find tons of videos on youtube for both AR builds and AK builds.
I've never built one myself for the record.

Trexller
09-22-2020, 12:43 AM
For performance, reliability and general ass-kickery, accept no substitute.

Colt LE6920

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-le6920-carbine-223556-161-301-pmag-mbus-4-pos-stk-blk

maybe a lil over your price range, but that is a time tested platform, with the 6920 being adjusted for some of the things M4 carbines originally lacked.

BarnabusCollins
09-22-2020, 09:18 AM
China has bought the US Government, which is purposely sabotaging Americans' health and lives with kids back in school spreading massive Covid19 to adults. All planned. No one ever asks any questions or ever will. World War 3 is being won without a shot fired.

Spergand
09-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Yes so many dead kids omg. U fuckin retard stop masterbating and using drugs.

Armalite type. Ak is for fun only unless u hipfire like a desert type.

PieOats
09-22-2020, 10:17 AM
If you go with an AR, you can purchase a 7.62x39 upper to shoot 30cal rounds. The lower will still accommodate AK style 7.62 banana clips, so you won’t need any other modifications. If you later decide that you want to fire 5.56, you can swap out the 7.62 upper for a 5.56 upper. That is the beauty of the AR platform. Also, it is worth noting that the standard AR round is 5.56, which has a more powerful load than standard .223 ammo. You can still fire standard .223 ammo from an AR, but you should not fire 5.56 from a standard .223 firearm due to the higher pressures generated by the 5.56 rounds.

Alternatively, you can purchase a 300 blackout upper, which is a 30cal round in 5.56casing, meaning that you do not even need different mags. 300blackout rounds are a lot more expensive than standard 7.62 rounds though, because they are something of a specialty product designed for better performance out of suppressed SBRs or pistols. If you aren’t building an SBR or pistol, a 7.62 upper will be more economical.

Spergand
09-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Could also build 22 or 9mm ar for cheaper shooting

Googi
09-22-2020, 07:39 PM
https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=903677

Googi
09-22-2020, 07:41 PM
https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=903539

Googi
09-22-2020, 07:43 PM
https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=903609

fuck i might buy this

the flag just makes it that much worse

Topgunben
09-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Keep sending links on good deals or good buys. It helps me a lot if someone else who has already done the legwork can steer me in the right direction.

hobart
09-23-2020, 03:36 AM
You might as well be pondering which set of truck balls you're going to buy for your Ram 350 dualie.

Spergand
09-23-2020, 08:41 AM
If it was a dodge itd be a 3500 and just like rifles they exist for a reason. U just dont know cause u r a dependent city dweller

Topgunben
09-23-2020, 10:56 AM
You might as well be pondering which set of truck balls you're going to buy for your Ram 350 dualie.

You're a sad little man, aren't you?

Googi
09-23-2020, 05:05 PM
i had to google truck nuts, jesus christ this is a level of trash i have not seen yet

https://imgur.com/gallery/dgazuWt

has anyone witnessed a sack of nuts hanging from someones vehicle?

Baler
09-23-2020, 05:06 PM
@OP made any progress on building either? Have you the tools btw?

has anyone witnessed a sack of nuts hanging from someones vehicle?

I cringe irl when I see them on the highway.

hobart
09-23-2020, 06:59 PM
If it was a dodge itd be a 3500 and just like rifles they exist for a reason. U just dont know cause u r a dependent city dweller

I pay people to do things. They're dependent on me and others like me for my money. It lets them buy things like tool boxes, NASCAR collector plates, and crap from WalMart that they don't need.

U just r dum u r at rumptard

You're a sad little man, aren't you?

Says the incel who's trying to virtually LARP some soldier of fortune rp fantasy with other incels.

Spergand
09-23-2020, 08:10 PM
I pay people to do things. They're dependent on me and others like me for my money. It lets them buy things like tool boxes, NASCAR collector plates, and crap from WalMart that they don't need.

U just r dum u r at rumptard

I think trump is a Jew loving cuck. And I'm not impressed by your claims. I'm a very attractive millionaire.

I seen truck nuts a few times, very gay

Baler
09-23-2020, 08:50 PM
I think trump is a Jew loving cuck. And I'm not impressed by your claims. I'm a very attractive millionaire.

Anti-Semitism

Delete this post. Thanks.
(mypost)

Spergand
09-23-2020, 08:57 PM
Jew loving is actually quite pro semitism

If semitism were an actual thing

Spergand
09-23-2020, 08:58 PM
That is to say it when you say antisemitism you mean anti Jewish? Why not just say anti jewish

Trexller
09-23-2020, 09:51 PM
That is to say it when you say antisemitism you mean anti Jewish? Why not just say anti jewish

Seriously? What does this have to do with piecing together an AK or AR?

No, nevermind, don't tell me.

Back to the guns!

https://i.imgur.com/q4aQSTq.gif

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 12:52 AM
still doing my research. leaning more towards an AR, even though Id rather have an AK.

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 01:23 AM
https://www.80lowerjig.com/blogs/80-lower-blog/the-ar-15-picking-the-best-barrel-length-twist-rate/

Should I be pushing for a 16 inch barrel or does it matter all that much? What issues will I run into if I go smaller than that? It gets treated as a pistol???

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 01:32 AM
https://www.80lowerjig.com/blogs/80-lower-blog/the-ar-15-picking-the-best-barrel-length-twist-rate/

Should I be pushing for a 16 inch barrel or does it matter all that much? What issues will I run into if I go smaller than that? It gets treated as a pistol???

tbh, a nice 22. is the ultimate all purpose gun (minus home defense obv) 1000 rounds of 5.56 weighs 50 lbs 30,000 rounds of .22 weigh 50 lbs.

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 01:46 AM
tbh, a nice 22. is the ultimate all purpose gun (minus home defense obv) 1000 rounds of 5.56 weighs 50 lbs 30,000 rounds of .22 weigh 50 lbs.

From a practical standpoint you are probably right. But I already own several .22s.

I also have a couple 30-06 hunting rifles, a 30-30 lever action, a 12 gauge shotgun, a pt99 Taurus 9mm, 2 luger 22 pistols, and a ruger 22 rifle. I bought all of those from friends or family over the years, but now its time to get something thats a little more scary.

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 02:14 AM
From a practical standpoint you are probably right. But I already own several .22s.

I also have a couple 30-06 hunting rifles, a 30-30 lever action, a 12 gauge shotgun, a pt99 Taurus 9mm, 2 luger 22 pistols, and a ruger 22 rifle. I bought all of those from friends or family over the years, but now its time to get something thats a little more scary.

BUT do you have a Trijicon acog, I do and it is titties. :P

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 02:18 AM
I bought all of those from friends or family over the years, but now its time to get something thats a little more scary.

Sorry I responded at first without actually reading your entire post, hands down get a smith and wesson mp 15. Cheap and well built, you also don't have to rely on others with their 'bro just buy a receiver i'll build your gun'

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 02:20 AM
Sorry I responded at first without actually reading your entire post, hands down get a smith and wesson mp 15. Cheap and well built, you also don't have to rely on others with their 'bro just buy a receiver i'll build your gun'

its crazy but just over the past few days, pricing has jumped 10% and lots of "out of stock" items. I wish I would have bought before the world ended :)

Mead
09-24-2020, 02:23 AM
its crazy but just over the past few days, pricing has jumped 10% and lots of "out of stock" items. I wish I would have bought before the world ended :)

Yea lots of retards who will never shoot a person in their lifetime are arming themselves up

Good for the economy though

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 02:25 AM
I spent $700 on 1200 rounds of m855 3 months ago, last year it costed me a bit over $500. It was a bit hard even finding vendor, I went to cabelas to buy a backpack in a similar timeframe and noticed ALL of their 5.56 and 9mm shelves were empty lol

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 02:30 AM
If you don't have an AR yet you will be more than satisfied with a kitted out .22, if I have to leave my transportation of ammo I am not bringing my AR, i'm bringing my ruger 10/22 and 100,000 rounds of ammo lol

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 02:32 AM
If you don't have an AR yet you will be more than satisfied with a kitted out .22, if I have to leave my transportation of ammo I am not bringing my AR, i'm bringing my ruger 10/22 and 100,000 rounds of ammo lol

is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h0s_62jXuk

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 02:36 AM
.22's are the shit, I don't care how tough you think you are if you get shot by a .22 you are tapping out. AR's tbh, I love shooting them but are useless practically. Obviously situational, a .22 will not kill someone reliably but it will disable them

Mead
09-24-2020, 02:59 AM
.22's are the shit, I don't care how tough you think you are if you get shot by a .22 you are tapping out. AR's tbh, I love shooting them but are useless practically. Obviously situational, a .22 will not kill someone reliably but it will disable them

Roughly 250 americans shoot a bad guy per year. You are never going to shoot someone in your lifetime. We're all getting the same whatsapp concealed weapons videos. You're more likely to do something stupid and get yourself in legal trouble.

Unless you're buying a weapon for sport, save yourself the money and get something basic like a 12g shotgun or 9mm handgun for home defensive if that's what's going to make you feel better.

Wutaan
09-24-2020, 03:05 AM
Roughly 250 americans shoot a bad guy per year. You are never going to shoot someone in your lifetime. We're all getting the same whatsapp concealed weapons videos. You're more likely to do something stupid and get yourself in legal trouble.

Unless you're buying a weapon for sport, save yourself the money and get something basic like a 12g shotgun or 9mm handgun for home defensive if that's what's going to make you feel better.

There are many different countries that don't allow you to own firearms and you are free to relocate there. Alternatively you can pick a fight with men who enjoy the freedom to protect themselves, please livestream the results you actual moron.

Mead
09-24-2020, 03:10 AM
There are many different countries that don't allow you to own firearms and you are free to relocate there. Alternatively you can pick a fight with men who enjoy the freedom to protect themselves, please livestream the results you actual moron.

Prove me wrong

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 03:12 AM
Prove me wrong

Dude just go away.

PieOats
09-24-2020, 05:13 AM

If barrel length is less than 16”, then you have to either build the weapon as a pistol (no buttstock, no vertical foregrips, maximum pull length from end of brace to trigger of 13.5”) or submit an application and $200 fee to the ATF for an SBR tax stamp. Keep in mind that if you neglect one of the pistol rules ad accidentally end up with an SBR, you could face 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine, so make sure that you understand what is and is not allowed on pistols, or just get a tax stamp and be free to do what you want with it.

The downside of an SBR is that it cannot be concealed and as a rifle is treated as such for all other state and local laws. SBRs are generally subject to additional state laws beyond ordinary rifles too. Also, for SBRs, the tax stamp means that you are the only person authorized to store, possess or transport the weapon. You can get around this by setting up a gun trust, donating the weapon to the trust and designating family/friends as trustees/beneficiaries. They are cheap and easy to setup.

PieOats
09-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Also, you linked to 80lower. 80% lowers are not legal in some states and subject to additional regulation in some others, so keep that in mind. You can still build a firearm using an ordinary serialized lower though if you happen to live in one of those jurisdictions.

Bardp1999
09-24-2020, 08:39 AM
This thread smells like Waco, TX. C U on Hale Bob REAL SOON

Googi
09-24-2020, 09:13 AM
Sorry you cant legally pack in your state bard p1999 consider moving to the south asap

Topgunben
09-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Also, you linked to 80lower. 80% lowers are not legal in some states and subject to additional regulation in some others, so keep that in mind. You can still build a firearm using an ordinary serialized lower though if you happen to live in one of those jurisdictions.

For some reason that link isn’t working now, but the site more or less gave a breakdown of muzzle velocity compared to Barrel length. It seems that the sweet spot is right around 16 inches, anything longer seems to cumbersome, anything shorter causes loss in velocity.

That said, most of these AR kits are advertised as 16 inchers but the barrels themselves are only 13.5 plus a muzzle break. I imagine that a 2.5 inch muzzle break isn’t going to add to velocity the same as another 2.5 inches of rifled barrel.

What have you guys found is a decent barrel length? Is 16+ too cumbersome?

PS. I’m not planning on buying an 80% lower. By the time I mill everything out and get the jig to do it, I’d be spending more time and money then if I bought a 100%. I don’t like the idea of the Gov knowing I have one, but at this point, there are so many ARs in circulation, I have a hard time believing they will ever ban them.

Spergand
09-24-2020, 05:32 PM
The government has no power over you its the people around you

Spergand
09-24-2020, 05:33 PM
I bet kyle had a 16" barrel fwiw

Googi
09-24-2020, 06:08 PM
Even if they did ban them, they will be around until they rust out, and its not like theres no gun smuggling now for illegal weapons?

Spergand
09-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Aluminum doesnt rustand a retard could mill a lower from a chunk of aluminum if he wanted to, there not going anywhere. America is armed to the teeth it's really our best asset

PieOats
09-24-2020, 07:22 PM
For some reason that link isn’t working now, but the site more or less gave a breakdown of muzzle velocity compared to Barrel length. It seems that the sweet spot is right around 16 inches, anything longer seems to cumbersome, anything shorter causes loss in velocity.

That said, most of these AR kits are advertised as 16 inchers but the barrels themselves are only 13.5 plus a muzzle break. I imagine that a 2.5 inch muzzle break isn’t going to add to velocity the same as another 2.5 inches of rifled barrel.

What have you guys found is a decent barrel length? Is 16+ too cumbersome?

PS. I’m not planning on buying an 80% lower. By the time I mill everything out and get the jig to do it, I’d be spending more time and money then if I bought a 100%. I don’t like the idea of the Gov knowing I have one, but at this point, there are so many ARs in circulation, I have a hard time believing they will ever ban them.

Oh okay, good deal. I just saw the web address had 80lower in it and didn’t follow the link.

As far as the 16” barrel goes, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want the best accuracy to range ratio, you can go with an 18”. Anymore than that and you will end up with more whip. The only reasons to go shorter than 16” are if you plan to keep it for self-defense and would like something suited to CQB, or if you would like to suppress it, or if you want something easier to transport or have a CPL and would like to carry concealed. The one other consideration on barrel length is that if you build a pistol first, then you can convert it to a rifle whenever you like, but if your build starts as a rifle, then you cannot convert to a pistol. The likelihood of anybody ever actually knowing is small, but it is the law.

As for the 14.5” barrel, that would mean that you are either building an SBR or a pistol, unless you permanently affix the muzzle device by weld, solder or pin. The muzzle device cannot be removable, otherwise once you attach a stock to the weapon, you suddenly have an SBR, which requires the aforementioned tax stamp prior to assembly. The alternative of course is to build it as a pistol. If you do not want a pistol or an SBR and you want to be able to swap out muzzle devices, then go with an actual barrel length of 16” or more. Often they come in 16.1”

PieOats
09-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Aluminum doesnt rustand a retard could mill a lower from a chunk of aluminum if he wanted to, there not going anywhere. America is armed to the teeth it's really our best asset

This guy fucks. ✊🏻

Danth
09-24-2020, 08:02 PM
For the original poster:

If you're not familiar with either, odds are you'll like the AR family better than the AK family. Most AR derivatives have good ergonomics and a nice center of mass; for the most part they point and shoot beautifully. It's an easy rifle to like. I particularly like examples done with vietnam-styled grips/etc as I consider them more comfortable, but I've never held a "bad" one. I'd trust a decent AK with my life in a heartbeat, but I've never handled one that felt good to shoot--feels like a lifeless club. The grips feel wrong, the balance and center of mass feel wrong, the sights are wrong. As much as I respect it I don't particularly LIKE the thing. I don't care for the 5.56 cartridge or for the 5.45 cartridge that the AK's I've used were chambered for. The considerations that make military organizations want the smaller round (like weight of ammunition) are not necessarily relevant to private usage. 5.56 is a nice round for killing vermin with. Pretty much no hunter ever would call it his first choice for deer-size targets--which include humans. An ordinary dude isn't a soldier lugging around 40 pounds of gear and maybe 10 or 12 magazines so the regular guy can pick the best round for the specific job instead of a good enough round that meets other criteria too.

I really like .22LR for plinking and shooting paper. For those uses, cheapness of ammunition is by far the most important consideration. Unlike the guy above I would not trust one for personal defense though. The training I received taught that they could be lethal enough but if you didn't kill your target with it outright you were unlikely to incapacitate him before he got to you. Small pistol rounds like .25 and .32 were discouraged for the same reason. If it's what you have it's better than being unarmed but it's not a first choice.

The AR family's action craps in its own house. It is and always will be a source of contention. If you want the same round with a different action the Mini-14 and HK-416 are both very good alternatives. In truth for ordinary use and sport shooting the AR action is not an issue. Conversely the AK's reliability is overblown in western media. It's a tough rifle but not magical. If you fail to maintain yours or enjoy throwing it in mudholes it'll stop working just like any other rifle will stop working.

Try to avoid buying "tactical" anything. That's the firearm equivalent of "gaming" computer accessories: Just advertising glurge used to inflate the price.

Danth

PieOats
09-24-2020, 09:09 PM
I really like .22LR for plinking and shooting paper. For those uses, cheapness of ammunition is by far the most important consideration. Unlike the guy above I would not trust one for personal defense though.

It would seem there may be a bit of confusion here. I will see if I can clear it up! A .22lr round is not the same as a NATO 5.56. The bullet diameter is about all that is the same between the two. The 5.56 cartridge is longer and fatter and gets the bullet out of the barrel with a lot more energy than .22lr. You can expect around 10x power at the muzzle from 5.56 and it is designed to tumble upon penetration. It is a staple of US military, though it has been displaced to partially by 300blk in various specialty arenas. Realistically, I would lean on 300blk for self defense given its performance in shorter barrels and at shorter distances. It works great for anything inside 350 yards in an SBR or pistol format. It is an expensive round though and if you already have other hunting rifles I don’t see any utility for it in that arena. I wouldn’t ever use an AR or an AK for hunting.

Googi
09-24-2020, 09:11 PM
depends who you are hunting

Topgunben
09-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Oh okay, good deal. I just saw the web address had 80lower in it and didn’t follow the link.

As far as the 16” barrel goes, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want the best accuracy to range ratio, you can go with an 18”. Anymore than that and you will end up with more whip. The only reasons to go shorter than 16” are if you plan to keep it for self-defense and would like something suited to CQB, or if you would like to suppress it, or if you want something easier to transport or have a CPL and would like to carry concealed. The one other consideration on barrel length is that if you build a pistol first, then you can convert it to a rifle whenever you like, but if your build starts as a rifle, then you cannot convert to a pistol. The likelihood of anybody ever actually knowing is small, but it is the law.

As for the 14.5” barrel, that would mean that you are either building an SBR or a pistol, unless you permanently affix the muzzle device by weld, solder or pin. The muzzle device cannot be removable, otherwise once you attach a stock to the weapon, you suddenly have an SBR, which requires the aforementioned tax stamp prior to assembly. The alternative of course is to build it as a pistol. If you do not want a pistol or an SBR and you want to be able to swap out muzzle devices, then go with an actual barrel length of 16” or more. Often they come in 16.1”

Good advice. This just convinced me to build a short barreled AR.

Googi
09-25-2020, 12:58 PM
my buddy bought a brand new ar9 yesterday its like a pistol

pretty cool

Patriam1066
09-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Yea lots of retards who will never shoot a person in their lifetime are arming themselves up

Good for the economy though

I fucking hope they don’t man, sometimes it’s scary. They all think they’re tough. Get scared like pussies and open fire like pussy ass Kyle

SAD!

Spergand
09-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Defending your life with deadly bullets isnt a pussy thing to do. Nice try hairball

Fame
09-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Follow the wisdom of our most dedicated community servants: the child soldier.

AK all the way

PieOats
09-25-2020, 07:13 PM
my buddy bought a brand new ar9 yesterday its like a pistol

pretty cool

Those are pretty cool. I have been thinking about picking up a 9mm upper and some mag conversion kits for one of my AR pistols.

Googi
09-25-2020, 08:43 PM
dunno kyle was there to put out fires, give emergency medical treatment and defend a business and some loser who went there to start shit charged him

so glad kyle will get off on self defense and even get his AR Back , man you can hang that fucker on your mantle

BallzDeep
09-25-2020, 09:06 PM
I can tell you about building AR platform, not much about AK. I'm not that big of a fan of AK. But, I've probably built over 20 AR's in various calibers - 5.56, .300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, 6.5 creedmoor and finally .458 socom.

AR is a better platform in general due to interchangeability. For example, I can use a 5.56 lower for a .300 blackout upper. You can keep the lower and cross caliber fairly easy. 6.5 Creedmoor for .308 platform, etc.

If you were going to build 6 months ago, I'd say go Aero Precision. I've got an MK18 Daniel Defense upper on an aero lower. It's a 10.3 build for CQB. It's all going to depend on your price range. You can build for about $800-$1000 for a decent rifle. I'll recommend some companies to purchase a straight up AR and some for building.

AR's I'd recommend:
Daniel Defense - $1300-$1800 range
BCM - $900-$1400 range
Noveske - Higher end
LaRue - $1500
LWRC - $1500+

If you are going to build:
Aero Precision Upper & Lower or Ballistic Advantage
Criterion Barrels (.223 Wylde)
Geissele Rail or any affordable M-lok
BCM bolt or something along those lines

Hardest parts for building are 1. Bolt Catch release - it's alot easier with a Mag Mount or Vise. The roll pins are a pain in the ass to get in without it. 2. Gas block - make sure you are lining up your gas block correctly, getting the correct sizing. Make sure your gas block, gas tube and barrel have the same diameter.

Googi
09-25-2020, 09:09 PM
is daniel defense a good brand?

BallzDeep
09-25-2020, 09:16 PM
They are considered mid to high tier. I'd say LWRC, Noveske and a few others edge them out but hard to beat Daniel Defense. I own a 16" and a 10.3" MK18, both have over 20K rounds down the pipe without much issues. Buddy owns a SOLGW (Sons of Liberty Gun Works) rifle and prefers my Daniel Defense.

BallzDeep
09-25-2020, 09:22 PM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1312

I shoot 3 gun and do a lot of hunting so don't really fall under the larping but do it for the competitive aspect.

Topgunben
09-26-2020, 01:17 AM
Picked this up from a family member today. I might just keep this one as it is and build myself another one with a shorter barrel.

https://i.imgur.com/A9ZiTTO.jpg

Patriam1066
09-26-2020, 01:20 AM
Defending your life with deadly bullets isnt a pussy thing to do. Nice try hairball

Pick a fight with a gun get ass beat and have to use gun, going with pussy

George Zimmerman and Kyle rittenhouse. Heroes to some, pussies to others

Spergand
09-26-2020, 01:38 AM
Both are no one to me. Shits fake

Patriam1066
09-26-2020, 01:49 AM
Both are no one to me. Shits fake

They are no one in the eyes of God as well, so you have that going for you

Spergand
09-26-2020, 10:46 AM
That is a bold statement

BallzDeep
09-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Picked this up from a family member today. I might just keep this one as it is and build myself another one with a shorter barrel.

M&P's are good rifles. Only thing I would recommend would be some better sights.

Topgunben
09-26-2020, 04:00 PM
M&P's are good rifles. Only thing I would recommend would be some better sights.

Thanks. I’m not a fan of the gas block/front site. But I’m thinking I may just keep this rifle how it is and still build a shorter barrled AR more to my liking.

Wutaan
09-27-2020, 02:15 PM

That is the one I recommended and own myself, I shoot a lot and it is a very well built gun. Buy a vertical grip before you go putting rounds through it, you'll thank me later.

Topgunben
09-27-2020, 02:25 PM
That is the one I recommended and own myself, I shoot a lot and it is a very well built gun. Buy a vertical grip before you go putting rounds through it, you'll thank me later.

It seems pretty solid, hasnt been fired yet, so I cant speak for that. I don't have any .223 ammo and I'm having a hell of a time finding it locally. All the stores I've been to are sold out of common rounds.

I'm really just thinking i might keep this stock except for changing out the sites. It's a nicer brand than I thought I would get, so I am still thinking about buying a PSA ar 15 and monkeying around with that.

Wutaan
09-27-2020, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't do anything to that gun until you get a good optic set-up and vertical grip, once you put some rounds through that in any respectable timeframe you're going to be able to cook on it. It's the nature of the round.

Googi
09-27-2020, 06:22 PM
you're going to be able to cook on it.

Lol : )

enigma1985b
09-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Get a zpap m70 from zastava USA, they are solid, sorry i see this is old, not sure if you got one yet or not

kjs86z
09-28-2020, 03:13 PM
I'm a H&K fanboy myself. I love my MR556.

https://youtu.be/4w_cM9LgrHc