PDA

View Full Version : Average Dial a port Price?

SantagarBrax
09-10-2020, 12:26 PM
What's your thoughts?

I'm being told i'm cheap with a 40-50p donation.

Ripqozko
09-10-2020, 12:40 PM
50-60p less I don’t have that, usually 1p per lvl.

unleashedd
09-10-2020, 01:05 PM
DAP ports are ALWAYS free. any tip is good enough. thats kinda why the guild exists

Tunabros
09-10-2020, 01:50 PM
I'm being told i'm cheap with a 40-50p donation.

>->
50p is pretty generous in my opinion
i would be pretty happy with that

Atmas
09-10-2020, 02:00 PM
DAP ports are ALWAYS free. any tip is good enough. thats kinda why the guild exists

I disagree. The guild does CRs for free but people have characters in this guild to make money from porting. Pay people like their doing a job because that's essentially what they're doing.

I usually do 60p to 100p unless there was a bunch of waiting for several people. If I ask someone to come to get me in another zone that's definitely at least 100p and up. Not everyone has the plat but you should shoot to make it worthwhile.

40 to 50p doesn't sound bad to me if you are at the spot they are porting from.

kaizersoze
09-10-2020, 02:01 PM
appropriate

Croco
09-10-2020, 02:09 PM
I'm a poor monk so I give every dap 3 peridots for a port. Possibly more if there's something extraordinary about what I'm asking them to do. I have yet to be shamed by any porter for only giving 3 dots.

strongNpretty
09-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Honestly, it's not the tipping that i ever get mad about.. It's entitled pricks who ask rudely for ports, or demand ports..

kaizersoze
09-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Also i generally do 70-150 depending what i ask for. Apparently theres a reason I'm always poor.

Evia
09-10-2020, 02:45 PM
50pp on blue every time, no matter my character. 100p if they go out of their way at all.

On green id likely just follow the 1pp per lvl rule and be very open and upfront if I was going to tip anything less than like 30p. So the porter could deny me if it wasn't enough.

Trexller
09-10-2020, 02:50 PM
50pp on blue every time, no matter my character. 100p if they go out of their way at all.

elwing
09-10-2020, 02:50 PM
Sticking to 1p/lvl...

SpinFin
09-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Assuming you're Level 60.

50-80p from standard rings/spires.

100p+ for custom pick ups

500p+ for spell runs/deliveries if you're feeling gucci on leveling alts

Zandig Slaytanic
09-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Those prices are absurd.

Newer players don't have that type of plat, some are just learning the game. Some have little plat until level 30 or so buying equipment and spells.

It's excessive for what is involved for the one doing the porting. Making 1-2k a night porting. Give me a break.

Instead of "asking" for donations they should state their price if they expect it. I know there are some fair and honest porters and those are the ones I look for.

Tunabros
09-10-2020, 03:21 PM

On green id likely just follow the 1pp per lvl rule and be very open and upfront if I was going to tip anything less than like 30p. So the porter could deny me if it wasn't enough.

this is a good format
i use this
think everyone should follow this

Croco
09-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Not everyone has a 60 enchanter or torp shaman to farm endless money. 50pp for a port, especially when I'm already at a ring/spire is a LOT for what constitutes essentially clicking 2 buttons, possibly 3 if it's a druid that is nice enough to sow. If I donated 50p for every time I needed a port I would be broke to the point of not being able to afford food/drink. 1pp per level is a very poor standard to use when you're leveling and need money for gear and spells.

SantagarBrax
09-10-2020, 04:00 PM
okay, it looks like im not being too cheap.

I always meet at the port spot and give notice etc, thanks for the input all!

kaizersoze
09-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Not everyone has a 60 enchanter or torp shaman to farm endless money. 50pp for a port, especially when I'm already at a ring/spire is a LOT for what constitutes essentially clicking 2 buttons, possibly 3 if it's a druid that is nice enough to sow. If I donated 50p for every time I needed a port I would be broke to the point of not being able to afford food/drink. 1pp per level is a very poor standard to use when you're leveling and need money for gear and spells.

You can make 50pp in like 10 minutes in HHK with a quick guard sweep though. You dont need a 60 torp sham / chanter.

strongNpretty
09-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Then don't pay 50p per port. Then don't pay 1p per level for a port.. That's your decision.. But don't be the guy who just downplays the DAP services as "oh you just click 1 spell, why should i pay for that".. The same can be said when i get asked for POTG, it's just 1 click right? These are still people who are choosing not to EXP or grind, and instead be readily available to assist the masses.. Ports, PL's, Random Errands, Transfers. We sit around just waiting to receive work.

And honestly, getting a 5 or 10p tip porting a level 50+ isn't that uncommon.. So stop making it sounds like all of DAP has these expectations.. We actually dont really have any.. or at least the normal healthy folks dont have any. The job is cut and dry- You request, we process it, and we complete it. I don't care what you tip man, i'm just waiting for the next customer.

TLDR- Tip whatever you want, nobody ever once said you had to.

Sacer
09-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Porters aren't dumb, they won't expect 50p from a level 20 in vendor gear, but they could be mad at that 60 monk with really good gear tiping 12p. (looking at you monks who on average are terrible tipers, no the weigth restriction is not a valid excuse)

In my experience if you can't tip much just be upfront about it, the porter might put you at the bottom of their priority list but at least they won't be mad.

Jorlaan
09-10-2020, 07:59 PM
I've been in DaP for a while and for the most part people tip well enough. I'm a little miffed when someone asks me to come to them, has 100k+ worth of gear and gives me 20p but I say nothing and move on.
I have done free trips for everyone who has ever asked for whatever reason.
I've also unintentionally ghosted a couple people when crashing on zone then encountering that damned log-in bug.
Monks giving me 3-4 dots is OK but as someone who also has a monk, I keep port money on me.

1pp per level is totally OK. If you wanna pay more then I am not gonna complain. If you wanna pay less then I am not gonna complain.

At the end of the day bear in mind that the DaP member you see sitting in WC or OT or wherever is putting their own time aside to do you a favor in the hopes you'll be a decent person and remunerate them accordingly.

Topgunben
09-10-2020, 11:06 PM
My opinion is this;

Free - ill do it, but you better not be demanding.
10pp - basically as good as free
20pp - barely better than free
30pp - still feels a little cheap, but im happy to help
40pp - feels pretty good, if i could get 40pp from everyone, Id be happy with it
50pp - feels good, makes porting worth while
60pp - finally feel like im getting what i truly deserve
+70pp - this happens so rarely, i can probably only count a handful of times ive gotten this much for over a thousand ports

I never ask how much people are paying before I port them. I also never complain how much I get. I would say typically, im getting about 25pp to 30pp per port on average.

adichi
09-11-2020, 12:54 AM
i feel like 1pp per level seems to be the most appropriate for most people, but tip what you are comfortable with. if you're a big baller don't be holdin' out on plat

Hisamori
09-11-2020, 01:41 AM
Monk main, I had my druid in DAP for a while during leveling up to 44. I usually tip 50p or 5 dots (carry a couple stack specifically for tips).

As a porter, I received everything from 15 to 30pp from people that were completely new to server and people that were geared up in top tier guilds. 30 to 50 seems average and I did one time receive a Crystal Spider Eyes for a port. Also I have given people spells like Wandering Mind or other spells or items worth 100 to 200pp as a tip when I had nothing on me.

I honestly think 50pp is more than enough. Sure you might get 20pp but it averages out pretty well in the end when you get those rides where 3 or 4 people are going together and in a hurry to FTE or whatever.

Tip to you young DAP; if you can, bind at HH in overthere. It's not hard to get to, just harmony or invis past the cliff golem and harmony past the foreman. If you follow the spawn windows and go to HH when big targets in window, you can make a hell of a lot of plat fast taking people to CS or WL.

Thomacles
09-11-2020, 03:50 AM
I tip 30 pp. Always have, always will.
People bitch about classic on P99. People tipped 30pp when EQ came out. That was the price, no more, no less.

Croco
09-11-2020, 04:47 AM
no the weigth restriction is not a valid excuse

Yes, yes it is. Any monk worth his salt is not going to be walking around with tons of plat. If I have more than 20 plat on me at any one time it's a christmas miracle. I specifically carry a stack of dots to pay for ports and then replenish that stack from a reserve in the bank.

Porting is just providing a service. No more, no less. It's not you being mother teresa shepherding the wayward souls across all corners of norrath. You're the equivalent of a pizza delivery driver, pretty nice but ultimately replaceable.

I love DAP, at this point I've gotten so many ports from jaydee I've probably put 1 or 2 of his little druid children through norrath community college. The "standard" of 1pp per level is arbitrary. Saying a level 20 should pay 20pp or a level 30 should pay 30pp each time they ask a non-guildy for a port is expecting too much. Imo it's much more reasonable to say something along the lines of 1-20 (depending on character gear twinkage) free, 21-44'ish 15-20p, and 45+ 30p. And like I said if they go over and above or you are rich and feel like it drop them even more.

froomee
09-11-2020, 05:58 AM
Why would you need ports? Just run everywhere.

unleashedd
09-11-2020, 11:06 AM
im in DAP, and the guild charter has two main rules: if not anon/role you must process the request if asked, and you should NEVER ask for money. i never expect a tip, but i wont respond to port tells if im anon/role

Atmas
09-11-2020, 11:42 AM
People bitch about classic on P99. People tipped 30pp when EQ came out. That was the price, no more, no less.

Do you sell all the items you get at classic prices too?

mcoy
09-11-2020, 12:07 PM
I usually just say where I'm at, where I'm going, and what I'm offering. Never had anyone turn me down, and I'm broke so it's usually 2-3 dots I offer unless I happened across a HG or something on my way to the rings and then I'll toss that plat on top. Also helps that I'm usually at the source ring so I just watch the port-in spot and hit the next druid I see appear.

"wc rings to bb 20p?"

-Mcoy

Atmas
09-11-2020, 12:24 PM

Actually, this is kind of central to the whole issue in my mind. Blue at least has been around a decade. The server is very very top heavy. There is a lot of talk about paying 1p per level which seems reasonable if you're really leveling your first character. I think that's true. However, that's more the exception than the rule here. Further, inflation is pretty rampant with this amount of time being top heavy so it's puzzling why people think this wouldn't apply to what is a decent tip for porting.

I haven't ported for tips on my wiz for many years but sometimes I still will get random tells asking when I play him. I don't mind usually just helping people out and often don't take the plat unless I need some walking around cash for food or components. That being said I can't help but roll my eyes when a level 20 character in like 300k worth of gear puts 12p in the window. I'd rather just do it for free and ask them to pay extra to the next guy who is doing it for money.

Just thinking about some math on porting. A person porting for plat may not have a better way to make it. I'm going to throw out that maybe they port 50 people a night (I could be way off). At 30p a port, which isn't great nor is it terrible, you might get 1500p. Not exactly great plat farming numbers. I don't really play anymore so I don't know what Fungis go for, maybe 60k? In that scenario it would take a person about a month and half of porting every day to buy a fungi.

Also, monks can definitely trade gems for ports. The majority of monks know that so unless you are new that definitely isn't an excuse to give 10p or whatever.

Croco
09-11-2020, 01:47 PM
1500 plat for porting 50 people seems like pretty good money to me, it doesn't require the time, effort, or attention needed to brute force farm that much plat by say killing guards for instance, or hill giants. It's almost akin to passively gaining plat just for being online.

kaev
09-11-2020, 03:33 PM

My fallible memory tells me it was 10pp back in the pre-Luclin days (Tunare server, mostly anyway). It also tells me porters would wait up to 5 - 10 minutes to fill out a group before porting (30pp would generally get you an immediate port, so I guess not so different from what you remember).

Drakborn
09-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Only skimmed the thread.. but my experience porting in DAP is an average tip for port being between 30-60. Highest was 200 and lowest (not free) port was a lvl 4 with a cracked staff.. I was sure to throw him a bunch of buffs.

Frudrura
09-11-2020, 06:48 PM
I used to port on my Druid a long time ago and I was generally okay with a tip of at least 35-45pp.

Dreenk317
09-11-2020, 07:12 PM
I was in DaP for a long time on my druid. I never ever specified a price for anything. Every port was a "whatever you can afford/think is fair" situation. And very rarely was I ever stiffed or payed poorly without proper notification. And in those cases, when someone asked for a port but told me up front they could only pay 5p. I might carry them around 2-3 hops before dropping them off. But I also wouldn't charge them, would just try to make it more mana efficient on myself. If your being told your cheap with 40-50p tips. Fuck those DaPs. Thats just rude. My average tip was prolly 20p. Back before green, when server had prolly 800 avg pop. And i could make 1k an hour easy.

Tethler
09-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Yes, yes it is. Any monk worth his salt is not going to be walking around with tons of plat. If I have more than 20 plat on me at any one time it's a christmas miracle. I specifically carry a stack of dots to pay for ports and then replenish that stack from a reserve in the bank.

What are you even arguing here? dots = plat, I don't think anyone at all is saying that only plat is acceptable as a tip.

Porting is just providing a service. No more, no less. It's not you being mother teresa shepherding the wayward souls across all corners of norrath. You're the equivalent of a pizza delivery driver, pretty nice but ultimately replaceable.

Porting IS a service, yes. Talking down to people that do ports by calling them "pizza delivery drivers" and "replaceable" is a pretty shit attitude.

You know what they're replaceable with? The boat. Have fun sitting on the dock.

SantagarBrax
09-12-2020, 03:34 AM
I was in DaP for a long time on my druid. I never ever specified a price for anything. Every port was a "whatever you can afford/think is fair" situation. And very rarely was I ever stiffed or payed poorly without proper notification. And in those cases, when someone asked for a port but told me up front they could only pay 5p. I might carry them around 2-3 hops before dropping them off. But I also wouldn't charge them, would just try to make it more mana efficient on myself. If your being told your cheap with 40-50p tips. Fuck those DaPs. Thats just rude. My average tip was prolly 20p. Back before green, when server had prolly 800 avg pop. And i could make 1k an hour easy.

In DaP's Defense, I've never been told i was being cheap with 40-50p tip.

A few guildies actually said that :D

Jauna
09-12-2020, 04:46 AM
Reminder that you have not rode a boat willingly in 20 years. Next time you send a tell to DaP to avoid the 30+ minute boatride dont forget

indiscriminate_hater
09-14-2020, 02:49 AM
You know what they're replaceable with? The boat. Have fun sitting on the dock.

They're replaceable with one of the other hundreds of druids and wizards that exist on this server and would be willing to perform the same low-effort, low-skill service for a lower price.

DaP provides something of value, but that something is not unique.

pivo
09-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Green. My toons are lvl 29 or less. I don't use porting much. But when I do, I pay mostly 50 plat. Never less than 45. Few times porters canceled my tip. Twice guildie ported me. Free for guildie. No, I insisted on paying. Btw, I pay upfront, before porting. One Druid got 50 plat when I was lvl 25. That porter didn't give me SoW. I didn't asked but with my generous tip, I assumed it should be added automatically :) I forgot to write that porters name down, to avoid the same porter in the future.

I also have lvl 29 Druid. So, I just got first porting spells. Did less than 10 porting so far. Haven't charged any porting yet, (canceled all tipping so far), but I will start charging now. Although, I'm mostly using my Druid to be delivery boy between my other toons :)

pivo
09-14-2020, 06:34 AM
On a second thought, question to all Druids, which zone would be best to park in, if I want to do only porting that day? Have only first porting spells, lvl 29

unleashedd
09-14-2020, 06:54 AM
i sit on zoneline of EC and WC, advertising in both

monkeydoc
09-14-2020, 08:08 AM
What a bunch of hideous old men in this thread. If you don't think it's reasonable that a level 20 tip 20pp, that's fine. But the alternative isn't yo shaft a DaPper, it's to not get a port. Ports are 100% a luxury. You don't have any reason below 50 to NEED a port.

strongNpretty
09-14-2020, 11:04 AM
1500 plat for porting 50 people seems like pretty good money to me, it doesn't require the time, effort, or attention needed to brute force farm that much plat by say killing guards for instance, or hill giants. It's almost akin to passively gaining plat just for being online.

Stop talking

Croco
09-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Stop talking

Right after you buddy. <3

Ennewi
09-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Have always tipped extra to porters who add their own personal touch to an otherwise forgettable exchange, like the one druid who hands out complementary bags of caynar nuts on each flight. If a porter makes me come to them, from HH to ramp or FV to coast, they might receive heavier currency than plat, but more or less the same amount. Always tip well regardless (if for no other reason than because people remember and player faction is the most important/hardest to reverse) (but will choose one porter over another if they were more personable), even when human error comes into play, from a sleep-deprived or drunk player; it's somewhat amusing being left behind when the porter casts ring instead of circle or simply forgets to invite/accept invite to group. Also, being ported to the NK druid ring, dead on arrival as an evil race/class. It's definitely made the xp grind and pp farm sessions have more of a D&D feel. The deception checks that occur when players try to take advantage of free corpse-run ports by removing all of their gear beforehand: Fail and you're blacklisted for life. Attempting bribery to modify the DC of persuasion checks: During quakes, opening trade window with a porter, offering hundreds of plat on the condition that they leave your raid competitors behind, giving priority and the advantage to you and your guild members.

> translocators

Trexller
09-14-2020, 09:42 PM
current top thread in both green and blue discussions is about port costs.

if someone helps you out with a port, rez etc. Just pony up some plat. You will figure out if it was enough next time you need help from that person.

Threads Closed. Moved to Resolved. Back to camp stealing or server politics.

YW

kaizersoze
09-14-2020, 11:18 PM
current top thread in both green and blue discussions is about port costs.

if someone helps you out with a port, rez etc. Just pony up some plat. You will figure out if it was enough next time you need help from that person.

Threads Closed. Moved to Resolved. Back to camp stealing or server politics.

YW

Now that we are talking about rezzes, do not send tells if you're going to give them less than 100pp (more if you're asking them to cross several zones on top of a port) and pay for thier port. I am not running to Unrest to rez a level 14 who would regain their lost xp faster than rez fx would take to wear off, especially when all they're going to offer is 10pp in exchange for like 30 minutes running alone, plus finding a port etc.

pivo
09-15-2020, 07:33 AM
i sit on zoneline of EC and WC, advertising in both

thanks

pivo
09-15-2020, 07:37 AM
Back to camp stealing or server politics.

LOL!!!

Bondrake
09-15-2020, 07:47 AM
Stop talking

Just because you're strong and pretty doesn't mean you have to be mean too.

strongNpretty
09-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Just because you're strong and pretty doesn't mean you have to be mean too.

Well, I don't like him.
https://i.imgur.com/B61gIfF.jpg