PDA

View Full Version : Biggest sacrifice you made to play EQ?

Izmael
09-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Reading that other topic about the guy considering divorce because of his wife not letting him play EQ, I figured that would be an intriguing question to ask the P99 community:

What is the biggest sacrifice you made to play EQ? (that you'd admit to publicly or anonymously)
Someone has to start, so I'll start.

That I'd admit publicly: none
That I'd admit anonymously: quitting a job to play EQ 24/7, and not even looking for a new one for about 6 months, back in 2001.

Jibartik
09-06-2020, 03:24 PM
I was definitely going to have sex once in my teens but chose to raid instead.

Baler
09-06-2020, 03:39 PM
I always said real life comes first and I meant it.
I've sacrificed more EQ, nothing like going out with friends and they all talk about what they'd be doing instead. I say raiding and they look at me weird.

Luigi
09-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Stayed home a few nights to EQ When friends were going out , i was younger tho, in 1999 i was 19 and i didnt play at launch so this was prob early 20s, did not happen often

Trexller
09-06-2020, 11:26 PM
I literally dropped out of high school to play eq.

parents made me go back tho =\

Albanwr
09-06-2020, 11:56 PM
Probably sleep. Other than that, nothing much at all.

douglas1999
09-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Let's just say I was a straight A student and then everquest caused me to have to go to summer school for gym in order to graduate highschool

JurisDictum
09-07-2020, 12:48 AM
i was nearly held back in middle school. and the math teacher didn't tell the class about my record-breaking standardized test score, even though she told the class about the score of a kid in her church with good grades who was merely in the 98th percentile.

Jimjam
09-07-2020, 01:21 AM
I think I’ve been lucky that eq has provided stability and routine in the times when I most needed it, coupled up with friendship and cheap entertainment during times when those things were otherwise inaccessible. Sure I may have been late to an engagement once or twice, but overall I think the game saved me from much more self destructive behaviours.

My typing, understanding of statistics, patience, work ethic, Microsoft office skills and understanding of group dynamics were boosted by my enthusiasm for Everquest and some of my best IRL friendships were formed off the back of it.

No regrets.

Tethler
09-07-2020, 01:25 AM
My late teens and early 20s

shuklak
09-07-2020, 11:04 PM
Most of 2000 to date.

Tunabros
09-09-2020, 02:23 PM
almost got a B in math for EQ
parents are asian and you know this shit dont go well when you get a B

BlackBellamy
09-10-2020, 09:31 PM
I was working at a NY startup when EQ came out and I saw this chick playing it in the office, so I came by and stared down her shirt for a while. She thought I was interested in the game so she talked about it for a minute then camped out and went to the character screen and rolled some character quickly and said here, you drive see how you like it.

So I told her I came over to tell her it looks bad to be playing video games in a public area of the floor when we're looking for funding and VC's are in the wire. And she was like are you serious and I'm like yeah you can play your nerd game but why don't you set it up in the server room, next to the Unreal Tournament guys. So she went there but didn't like it cause those guys were all from Barbados and they would yell super loud and then talk to each other in Barbadosian slang and the server room was loud in general. But that's where we made all the game players go.

So of course later on she said you know it's not a nerd game there's a lot of people playing it and I said it's fine, I was just making fun of you. And she was like so you want to see it? And I was like ahhhh and she said c'mon you owe me for the insult. She really wanted to show me, so we went to the super-loud server room and she explained things for me while I tried to leave Freeport.

I wound up missing a catered lunch.

elkboot
09-10-2020, 09:45 PM
I was working at a NY startup when EQ came out and I saw this chick playing it in the office, so I came by and stared down her shirt for a while. She thought I was interested in the game so she talked about it for a minute then camped out and went to the character screen and rolled some character quickly and said here, you drive see how you like it.

So I told her I came over to tell her it looks bad to be playing video games in a public area of the floor when we're looking for funding and VC's are in the wire. And she was like are you serious and I'm like yeah you can play your nerd game but why don't you set it up in the server room, next to the Unreal Tournament guys. So she went there but didn't like it cause those guys were all from Barbados and they would yell super loud and then talk to each other in Barbadosian slang and the server room was loud in general. But that's where we made all the game players go.

So of course later on she said you know it's not a nerd game there's a lot of people playing it and I said it's fine, I was just making fun of you. And she was like so you want to see it? And I was like ahhhh and she said c'mon you owe me for the insult. She really wanted to show me, so we went to the super-loud server room and she explained things for me while I tried to leave Freeport.

I wound up missing a catered lunch.

nostalgic for a time I never existed in

tsuchang
09-11-2020, 12:19 AM
I wound up missing a catered lunch.[/QUOTE]

That is the most heartbreaking one so far.
You guys are going to have to really stretch to beat that.

douglas1999
09-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Let one of my uo trap houses rot :(

friendlinzh
09-18-2020, 09:24 AM
i dropped out of high school to play eq.i regret did not spend a lot of time on studying

BlackBellamy
09-18-2020, 10:23 AM
would that have made any difference this many years later?

Jimjam
09-18-2020, 10:58 AM
i dropped out of high school to play eq.i regret did not spend a lot of time on studying

If it wasn’t EQ it likely would have been some other excuse that made you tardy, stay up too late, fail to meet your commitments, etc. eq is a symptom of such behaviour not a cause.

douglas1999
09-18-2020, 11:21 AM
I dunno, I had two rl friends who were incredibly good consistent students from elementary right up through senior year of highschool, and literally as soon as they started playing eq they started failing out of their AP courses and nearly failing highschool altogether. It's hard not to put significant blame on eq specifically for that, but of course playing it was ultimately their choice.

-TK-
09-18-2020, 03:51 PM
almost got a B in math for EQ
parents are asian and you know this shit dont go well when you get a B

Was at a friends house with a couple buddies in high school and he told his mom he got a B on an AP bio test that our teacher made that no one was supposed to be able to get an A on. She told him he was an A-sian not a B-sian, slapped him over the head and walked off. I'm sure that's not an original line in the Asian community, but we laughed our asses off when she left the room.