PDA

View Full Version : Aldi

Bigsham
08-26-2020, 08:42 PM
I love aldi, its my favorite store.

Its a simple system, 1 choice, their brand.

They pack a whole grocery store into a small store and the prices are very reasonable.

Have you been to aldi? Did you like it?

Post your thoughts.

Snortles Chortles
08-26-2020, 08:55 PM
poor

Baler
08-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Smoked some ribs I bought from Aldis this past weekend. Got to say they were pretty damn good.

all n all it's okay, I like how much they cram into a small space. It's less of a theme park grocery store and more of a necessity store.
Neutral opinion on the store

OP is banned, maybe staff will lock this thread for what it actually is.
Hi BigSham who is reading this post.

Woke Locc
08-26-2020, 09:16 PM
There aren't any here

Sorry I don't get Aldi :(

BlackBellamy
08-26-2020, 09:53 PM
I love aldi, its my favorite store.

Its a simple system, 1 choice, their brand.

They pack a whole grocery store into a small store and the prices are very reasonable.

Have you been to aldi? Did you like it?

Post your thoughts.

I've been to Aldi. My mother sent me in because she didn't want to be seen. I lived in Park Ridge, IL and it was a snobby town, very Jewish. We shopped at the modern and new Jewel and there was a shunned Aldi across the street.

We needed potato flour and we really needed it for the pancakes. Jewel was out and it was too late to run down to the other store so she parked on the side like no one was going to see that giant Cadillac and I went in. Aldi didn't have the flour either.

Oh perfect, my story goes right with I went once and did not like it, i wont return.

Adron
08-26-2020, 10:37 PM
Aldi is great for what it is. you learn what generic things really are good enough(potato chips, peanut butter, diet soda), which ones suck (looking at you, off-brand doritos), and which things are out and out awesome, like their deli pizzas. produce is cheap, meat isn't.
Aldi is a halfling warrior in crustacean armor, with a reaver. it'll do for most stuff.

magnetaress
08-26-2020, 10:53 PM
people who shop at aldi are shopping at the yankee equivalence to the family dollar.

Voted last 2 tho

Videri
08-27-2020, 01:56 AM
How did Bigsham get banned again? I mean, I know he constantly disparages everyone, but...I didn't think that was bannable. :confused:

DMN
08-27-2020, 02:07 AM
All die?

Swish
08-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Aldi is great for what it is. you learn what generic things really are good enough(potato chips, peanut butter, diet soda), which ones suck (looking at you, off-brand doritos), and which things are out and out awesome, like their deli pizzas. produce is cheap, meat isn't.
Aldi is a halfling warrior in crustacean armor, with a reaver. it'll do for most stuff.

This is pretty much it. Aldi is a bit of a cult among the elderly and coupon queens who will drive a few miles further to save a few $$. I like some of their stuff, but generally I don't have the patience to go to two places.

In the UK their fruit/veg can be very hit and miss :(

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 09:25 AM
Aldi is alright but Lidl is better.

Use a lot of ASDA home deliveries atm and they rock cos they upgrade you on anything from your order that was out of stock. Iirc Asda is owned by Walmart these days. Don’t know if that means anything.

Any Brits been to yankland or vice versa who can clarify if Asda and Walmart are interchangable?

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Use a lot of ASDA home deliveries atm and they rock cos they upgrade you on anything from your order that was out of stock. Iirc Asda is owned by Walmart these days. Don’t know if that means anything.

Any Brits been to yankland or vice versa who can clarify if Asda and Walmart are interchangable?

I'm murican and not brit but I traveled all over the US.

Walmart has more cheep stuff to chose from but eithers premium brand is likely exactly the same unless it's a made in murica thing.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Sounds like Asda and Walmart are comparable. Is Walmart also full of humanatees on scooters?

What kind of supermarket products are made in America?

solleks
08-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Better than nothing (coming soon)

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Sounds like Asda and Walmart are comparable. Is Walmart also full of humanatees on scooters?

What kind of supermarket products are made in America?

myxudebruh Walmart sells everything. Even some pretty gud fishing equipment, firearms.

And epilators.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 10:51 AM
myxudebruh Walmart sells everything. Even some pretty gud fishing equipment, firearms.

And epilators.

Yea, Asda is like that, I guess it really is Walmart (they took down all the ‘part of the Walmart family’ signs though as apparently it is a negative brand here).

They have their in store fashion department named ‘George’ so pro tip on what to name your kid if you don’t want to buy name labels ��. Lots have their own ‘Asda Cafe’ franchise in store too, but sometimes they will rent to other franchises. Bristol in ye olde times was the gateway to America* so of course has a MacDonalds instead of their own brand caf.

Surely the products you list are imported from all over? Is Walmart big on ‘Made in America’?

*if you were chained to the deck of a ship

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Wallyworld has a ton of food and clothes labeled as such. They figured out a segment of their customer base really loves American flags on their cardboard boxes. Though they clearly play both sides and offer cheaper imports.

If I ever leave quarantine ill take pictures. I actually appreciate some of the Patriotism they place in a few products. I got like an exercise band and a pair of USA flats or something. Long ago before covid.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/walmart-aims-for-american-made-products-with-latest-open-call/551413/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2016/06/28/walmart-made-in-the-usa-products-fact-or-fiction/

I probably bought something for house maintenance like an USA red white and blue packaged air filter but I mostly lay around in my own rubbish drooling and not spending any money these days.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Thank you for educating me.

Are the ‘made in America’ products actually all made in the states from US parts/ingredients or is it one of those scams where the final stage of ‘assembly’ (perhaps something as crass as affixing a logo) happens in America but really it is all just imported.

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Thank you for educating me.

Are the ‘made in America’ products actually all made in the states from US parts/ingredients or is it one of those scams where the final stage of ‘assembly’ (perhaps something as crass as affixing a logo) happens in America but really it is all just imported.

I believe there's some honest efforts on the stuff that is labeled "made in America" and lible to that.

There's probably a few sneaky things, mostly foods that are hard to source from the states.

Walmart was still playing global world domination leading to dairy farms to close en mass so they could be bought at rock bottom price. My info is like 3 yrs out of date.

I'm sure they still ate monopolistic, anticompetitive or whatever the fancy phrase is.

Shop where n whatever u can afford..like if ur rich u can send someone to the Grove to personally hand pick ur apples and get ur staples air dropped from Amazon n whole foods.

BlackBellamy
08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
but really it is all just imported.

For a product to be called Made in USA (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard), or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim (like for example a product advertised as having "true American quality"), the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

Woke Locc
08-27-2020, 12:02 PM
For a product to be called Made in USA (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard), or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim (like for example a product advertised as having "true American quality"), the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

It's fine to import low value components, we're not running a religion here.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 12:21 PM

That seems reasonable standards to being advertised like such. I know somewhere I briefly worked would get contracts to make stuff in the UK and would subcontract to abroad. Apparently it was an open industry secret. I didn’t stay long.

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 12:44 PM
U can always Google a manufacturer website and see how u feel about it. A lot of times there's more information available from them or go forums for product enthusiasts, like for lawnmowers.

Swish
08-27-2020, 05:10 PM

Asda brought more US stuff to the shelves in the UK around 10 years ago as its part of Walmart (and people like American brands), but they still retain their UK image with things like rollback. Still the cheapest if you want to do one shop per week.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Asda brought more US stuff to the shelves in the UK around 10 years ago as its part of Walmart (and people like American brands), but they still retain their UK image with things like rollback. Still the cheapest if you want to do one shop per week.

Where do you reckon is best for fresh produce?

Swish
08-27-2020, 06:13 PM
Where do you reckon is best for fresh produce?

Probably Waitrose if you can afford to be in there. For regular weekly stuff that isn't bad, I've found Tesco to be steady. Asda/Lidl/Aldi aren't so good.

Jimjam
08-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Yea the tomatoes in Asda are dreadful. Like a skin full of water. No taste, no texture. I couldn’t stand the mozzies when I lived in Greece (I was a wet dream for them) but I really miss the street market veg. I know it is a bit of a meme but the fruit and veg had real flavour.

Waitrose is good last time i visited, used to go there a lot while living in my previous county. Not found one close to me where I am now.

Morrissons seems good for fresh, but only been a couple of times as I didn’t like the manager after I did a Karen.

Danth
08-28-2020, 06:04 AM
Local grocery store options here in rural Ohio:

Aldi is good for some stuff like canned goods, but isn't a full-service grocery store. At least around here it isn't--no bakery, no deli, etc--so it can't be used for all purposes. If we shop at Aldi we have to be sure to get in very early before the Amish have a chance to arrive with their chartered trailers and strip the place practically bare. It's highly annoying. One of the local Aldi stores has made an effort to clamp down on the Amish and limit their bulk purchases because it's hurting their business due to driving off other customers.

I avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible. It's the last-resort option if we need something and noplace else has it. Both of the local Wal-Mart stores have problems with cheaping out on stockers and a consequent tendency to lag behind in keeping shelves stocked. Both locations are also pushing hard toward automated check-out, another feature which I refuse to use on general principle, and as part of that push deliberately under-staff their conventional checkouts and often staff those lines left open with their worst employees. Yuck.

IGA is a traditional unionized locally-owned grocery store and the wife and I accordingly shop there as much as able. There are two of them also much closer to home at ~4 miles instead of ~15-30 miles for other options.

Buehler's seems like it's favored by retirees. It's usually the best choice for produce. The stores are well-kept and the aisles generally wider and less-cluttered than any of the other options. It makes for about as pleasant a grocery shopping trip as practical, but distance means we don't shop there a great deal.

A "Mark's" in Wooster recently opened a full-service grocery store. That alone surprised me--I associate Mark's as effectively a drug store crossed with a dollar store, but this one is more than that. It's too new to give a proper appraisal; given the low-end history of that store chain I have my doubts that it'll retain quality for very long. For now it's alright, about average quality. We'll see how it goes.

That's what we have around here other than dollar stores/etc. "High end" or trendy chains do not exist in this region insofar as I'm aware.

Danth

Lojik
08-28-2020, 07:28 AM
We shop at Aldi. I think it's fine for most things, but like others say they don't have everything and their produce isn't great. When compared to the standard chain grocery stores around here it's better though... When we go there we easily spend 2x what we would have at Aldi Hoping we get a Lidl around here.

magnetaress
08-28-2020, 09:24 AM
I agree. I got canned clams once at Aldi. They were decent! That was going to be my original assessment.

Short. Sweet.

Canned clams :p

Patriam1066
08-28-2020, 09:26 AM
poor

magnetaress
08-28-2020, 09:32 AM
Slumming with the commoners every once in awhile keeps life fresh and exciting.

GinnasP99
08-28-2020, 12:53 PM
I tried aldi, wasn't a fan. I don't mind paying a bit more at publix, the products are better.

-TK-
08-28-2020, 03:15 PM
My only experience with Aldi was after we did our food drives growing up we'd show up with a flatbed truck and buy all of their canned goods off the shelves. They were pissed the first year or two we did it and left their shelves empty so after that they started selling us pallets of canned goods if we let them know in advance that we were coming. Isn't that the place where you had to put a quarter in the shopping cart to unlock it and then half the time it would jam and not give your quarter back?

Luigi
09-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Produce at aldi was voted better then publix, most other products are better. Associating aldi with poverty is disgusting, aldi represents value, something people dont look for anymore yet have nothing in the bank.

Swish
09-04-2020, 12:25 AM
I agree. I got canned clams once at Aldi. They were decent! That was going to be my original assessment.

Short. Sweet.

Canned clams :p

I thought we were having steamed hams ?

JurisDictum
09-04-2020, 06:36 PM
never heard of it, seems like the floridians know what it is so i am banking on poor. publix is better if you are stuck in Hell. it has the chicken sandwich.

oh they own trader joes what up

i spend all my food stamps on dried fruit there : )

(dont let that confuse u)

Luigi
09-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Aldi will be in every state dominating grocery within 10 years 100%

Lots of value there, also great place to pickup single moms

Publix reported $38.1 billion in sales in 2019, up from $36.1 billion in 2018. Net income rose to $3 billion in 2019, up from $2.4 billion in 2018. Perhaps most strikingly, Publix's profit margin -- a measure of how efficiently a company operates -- jumped to 7.9%.Mar 2, 2020

Publix profit jumps, store count keeps climbing - Business ...www.palmbeachpost.com › business › publix-pro

okatom
09-09-2020, 01:36 PM
yes, I like Aldi too

Ahldagor
09-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Hast du geld? Nein, mein geld.

Googi
09-29-2020, 04:44 PM
iron rations winning