PDA

View Full Version : New Iksar Monk - when to go to EC?

Shin_Ra
08-20-2020, 06:01 AM
Hi all,

I've started an Iksar Monk and am level 8 now. Absolutely loving the class and it has reinvigorated my love for EQ. I'm getting decent XP in the FoB pit. From 5-8 I got several hundred spiderling silks when grinding in the bonebinder (sp?) warrens.

My question is does it make sense to try and travel to EC to buy some better weapons/armor? Currently using my starter club. Or should I keep grinding till I'm higher level and the trip is safer?

ThankSssss,

Ardox

Dreenk317
08-20-2020, 06:28 AM
Stay in FoB area. Your just about the level to head in kurns tower. A lower level dunheon off FoB that is GREAT exp. I have a starter weapon I could give you that should serve you decent enough for a while. Ill look for you next time I'm on

Jimjam
08-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Keep those pincers, even the bigger ones you can hand in at the warrior guild. Do cabilis area till 20 for eagle strike, intimidation and fd. Get your WQS in EC then don’t worry about trainers again until 35 and backtrain the skills you want but missed out on.

Upper guk was good to my monk once she left kunark. Mesh armour and gems to buy hp rings. If you leave kunark at 17 as my monk did then grab some soft leather boots from Befallen or kobold hide from sola.

Topgunben
08-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Exp is better in WC than it is in FoB. That is because you can easily get high level buffs like POTG, Regen, Haste and DS making you a wrecking ball against mobs red to you. WC also got an EXP increase of 33%.

Level around the Druid rings and as soon as regen and DS drop, ask a Druid to recast on you. They don’t mind and you’ll hit 12 in no time. You can stay longer but Kurns Tower is more fun and great exp. You can also go straight to upper guk from WC you’ll just need a few more levels beyond 12.

Lastly, get 2 masters wus trance sticks, 2 5ac 55hp rings, and silver chitin handwraps. Other items you can fill in along the way.

P.S. Permafrost recently got an exp boost as well making it the highest grossing exp zone in the game. Before the boost it was usually a ghost town, but now I’m seeing plenty of players in there. You should be able to find groups in there from 20 to 32

Croco
08-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Go to EC immediately and get a bind at Ping Fuzzlecutter in WC. There are only a few levels you absolutely need to go train and when you hit those levels get a sow and DMF in the tunnel and head to Timorous Deep. There's an iksar at the top of one of the mountains on chessboard island that you can train with. DMF is key because regular lev will wear off before you can make the return trip.

Dreenk317
08-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Just like to point out that he is a new player, doesn't have coin for two trance sticks, 2 55hp rings and schw. And, while its cool there is a monk trainer in TD, it is waaaaaaay faster to just get a port to EJ and run to caba. Rather than taking the boat, running to chessboard, running back, taking boat again.

Shin_Ra
08-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Thanks all for the advice.

Stay in FoB area. Your just about the level to head in kurns tower. A lower level dunheon off FoB that is GREAT exp. I have a starter weapon I could give you that should serve you decent enough for a while. Ill look for you next time I'm on

Thanks, that's super kind of you. I forgot how much the EQ community rocks!

Just like to point out that he is a new player, doesn't have coin for two trance sticks, 2 55hp rings and schw. And, while its cool there is a monk trainer in TD, it is waaaaaaay faster to just get a port to EJ and run to caba. Rather than taking the boat, running to chessboard, running back, taking boat again.

I could probably afford the two trance sticks. Wasn't aware that haste was available for so cheap (relatively speaking). I'll definitely start saving for it. Yeah I did wonder about getting ports from a friendly druid. Do you think I could make it to the druid rings in EJ from cabilis at level 8?

Dreenk317
08-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Do you think I could make it to the druid rings in EJ from cabilis at level 8?

Its possible, with a little luck and a lot of care. Though it would also be possible to get the druid/wizard to meet you at the ZL. Its not far from the port in, unless they are just being in a super hurry. Tell them your lvl 8 and afraid of getting killed, id bet they will understand, having been lvl 8 before.

can you log in right now? I could come pick you up real fast, ive got 30 minutes

Croco
08-20-2020, 03:07 PM

There is little to no danger training in Tim Deep if you take care of the sand giants in the oasis. The same can't be said of getting ported to EJ. To say nothing of the return trip. Also running to Tim Deep is a solo affair that doesn't require setting up ports to and from.

kjs86z
08-20-2020, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't skip Kurns. Its just so good.

I might have some stuff too on my mule. Hit me up we can set a time to both be on...I'll take a look and ferry the stuff out to you on my druid (and get you some quick levels in Kurns if you want a little bump).

Gozuk
08-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Big respect for hitting lvl 8 with the starter club

Shin_Ra
08-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Big respect for hitting lvl 8 with the starter club

Today, I was grinding in the pit in FoB when a friendly druid came and gave me a Wu's Trance Stick and then pulled the whole pit and killed them with his damage shield while letting me damage them all. Got a crazy amount of xp and now I'm lvl 10.

Its incredible how generous some people are!

Baler
08-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Stick to kurns until 18-20, With the ZEM changes however kurns is no longer the king of 12-18. It is still a good option though.

How much plat do you have to spend?
Enough to pay a druid to buy a better weapon for you and bring it to you?

Harvest
08-21-2020, 02:40 AM
I have a https://wiki.project1999.com/Master_Wu%27s_Trance_Stick on an alt gathering dust in a bank you can have. Keep an eye out for Cellar online and we'll sort something out

Xulia
08-21-2020, 08:12 AM
If you're interested in receiving some free starter gear I have some equipment that sells for under 50pp just rotting in mule bags. Send a /tell to Xulia in-game and I'll run it over!

kjs86z
08-21-2020, 11:39 AM
I have SCHW, a cloak, couple earrings, some other gear on my mule I'll be running out to him tomorrow morning with a quick little druid plvl sesh to get him familiar in Kurns....for the price of on-the-house!

I just haven't found any weapons in the tunnel for him yet. Trying to buy a couple +hp rings too for this young lizard.

Zuranthium
08-21-2020, 06:16 PM
Never! Never go to EC! Explore the world! Earn your items!

Topgunben
08-21-2020, 09:58 PM
I have SCHW, a cloak, couple earrings, some other gear on my mule I'll be running out to him tomorrow morning with a quick little druid plvl sesh to get him familiar in Kurns....for the price of on-the-house!

I just haven't found any weapons in the tunnel for him yet. Trying to buy a couple +hp rings too for this young lizard.

You’re a good man!

Arvan
08-22-2020, 03:26 AM
ec sounds not classic

Dreenk317
08-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Did OP ever get hooked up? If not, I have an schw and wus quivering staff you can have OP

Shin_Ra
08-24-2020, 04:12 AM
Did OP ever get hooked up? If not, I have an schw and wus quivering staff you can have OP

Big time. kjs86z hooked me up with a jade mace and a couple of bit of armor. I've been grinding in Kurns all weekend. XP has been awesome and I've already hit lvl 20!

I've got so many bone chips that between my spiderling silk and them, I can't fit them all into my bank even with 8 backpacks. So I'll need to make my way over to EC to sell my wares.

My plan is to sell all these goods and then see if I can replace some of my curescale cloth armor from the newbie quest with something better/lighter and acquire a 2hb. If you do have a spare quivering staff, that would be awesome!

Jimjam
08-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Swap the visible curscale for bristlesilk (purchased outside the monk guild). Except for the chest it looks cooler. People give invites on appearance.

kjs86z
08-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Hes good! Gave him my pair of schw that were rotting on mule, jade mace, some other armor pieces and a little druid plvl bump in kurns.

A Knight
08-25-2020, 07:06 AM
ive made the journey to EC without ports. Its dangerous. (I think was necro and gated back to kunark.) I couldnt remember all the details. I guess it wouldnt matter too much today if you can port to EJ. I also however enjoyed running level 1s to thurgadin to loot free velium frosted from drops from higher levels killing dwarves. (I dont think people kill those mobs much on blue.) I had a level 7 warrior with velium frosted leggings and the character got deleted i think by not playing it for several years. Was a sad waste. I never played it though because i wasnt into warriors at the time.