PDA

View Full Version : Old EQ devs talking about EQ dev. This is why it went to shit after Velious

Nuggie
08-12-2020, 04:31 PM
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8yZTQyNDUxOC9wb2Rj YXN0L3Jzcw&ep=14&episode=NGI0ZTdmZjItZmQ4Ni00MTk2LWFlMmYtOWUyNDk5OD diNDk4

I'm still listening. At 50 minutes. Just before that they describe what developing the expansions was like as far as pressure from the top.

BlackBellamy
08-12-2020, 08:59 PM
pressure from the top.

I didn't listen yet but that's pretty much all I need to know and expected.

I've been there both sides. The endless desire to make it perfect, to achieve The Vision, and nothing gets done, versus the news that a Very Important Salesperson made a Giant Deal and the date was the date, ship it or perish.

Jibartik
08-12-2020, 09:04 PM
I am, like, really curious what's giong on with EQ right now. There is so much presence online, more than I even seen in a long time.

Bigsham
08-12-2020, 09:31 PM
Sorry but velious was terrible, it was an endless huge mob hp grind and no progression other then gear

Everquest got alot better at luclin, sure some zones sucked but pop was the best expansion and era of eq ever

Kennie
08-12-2020, 10:05 PM
Sorry but velious was terrible, it was an endless huge mob hp grind and no progression other then gear

Everquest got alot better at luclin, sure some zones sucked but pop was the best expansion and era of eq ever
Stfu

douglas1999
08-13-2020, 07:11 PM

Counterpoint: Velious was in fact quite good and fun. Checkmate.

Nuggie
08-13-2020, 07:49 PM
Yea, I wasn't going to engage that troll post.

Bigsham
08-13-2020, 08:15 PM
Theres no reason at all to use your raid gear once you have all the stuff you want other then make an alt

0 progression

Most of you are stupid and garbage

galach
08-13-2020, 09:56 PM
I think AA's are great, but need to be reset when each expansion comes out. You shouldn't need 50,000 AA's in 2020.

Nuggie
08-14-2020, 01:26 AM
Theres no reason at all to use your raid gear once you have all the stuff you want other then make an alt

0 progression

Most of you are stupid and garbage

Yea, no reason to keep showing up to support your guild to help them get their gear and grow the guild. Opinions like that are selfish and short sighted.

Stupid and garbage? Yea well, that's just like your opinion man.

Nirgon
08-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Flush this

Bigsham
08-14-2020, 09:40 AM
Yea, no reason to keep showing up to support your guild to help them get their gear and grow the guild. Opinions like that are selfish and short sighted.

Stupid and garbage? Yea well, that's just like your opinion man.

No one does this, people gear up then pretend to be a new person or just quit on p99

No one will do anything unless they can benefit from it, not sure what game you play

Yea you need 50k AA to play the 21'st expansion

but the 51/50 server was the most popular server in eq history

you are very viable in pop with 100 AA

Kennie
08-14-2020, 09:52 AM
No one does this, people gear up then pretend to be a new person or just quit on p99

No one will do anything unless they can benefit from it, not sure what game you play

Yea you need 50k AA to play the 21'st expansion

but the 51/50 server was the most popular server in eq history

you are very viable in pop with 100 AA

STFU nobody wants to read you shit posts about any topic. You are trash and you are poor.

Skarne
08-14-2020, 10:19 AM
I like his Mario photo though I like to imagine it actually is Mario and he’s really angry at Everquest

Evia
08-14-2020, 06:12 PM
Bigsham, you ok man? Noticing your posts have been extra negative lately. Hope all is well.

Somekid123
08-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Listening to the podcast, thanks for the post.

Bigsham
08-14-2020, 08:36 PM
STFU nobody wants to read you shit posts about any topic. You are trash and you are poor.

[60 Oracle] Angerclaw (Barbarian) <Old World>
[60 Assassin] Kennie Kardashian (Dwarf) <Old World>
[60 Grandmaster] Moogoo Gai`Pan (Iksar) <Old World>
[60 Crusader] Stunning Likemydaddy (Dwarf) <Old World>
[60 Virtuoso] Smello Asselerando (Half Elf) <Old World>
[60 Warlock] Zlandicarmelo Anthony (Iksar) <Old World>
[60 Phantasmist] Enchanty Bobanty (Gnome) <Old World>

choppedandglued
08-17-2020, 12:16 AM
I like his Mario photo though I like to imagine it actually is Mario and he’s really angry at Everquest

hahaahhhah I lost my shit

reznor_
08-17-2020, 04:24 PM
He mentioned the Gemstone MUD series and I got a raging chubby. I should play that one again.

imperiouskitten
08-17-2020, 06:53 PM

Kich867
08-17-2020, 07:23 PM
He mentioned the Gemstone MUD series and I got a raging chubby. I should play that one again.

I miss MUDs...one of these days I'll get around to building a decent web MUD so people can easily procrastinate at work, killing orcs and shit.

Jibartik
08-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Move over mario. There's a new best game in history.

https://i.imgur.com/HmWQVN2.png

Bigsham
08-17-2020, 08:59 PM
Stream maniac mansion from start to finish without pausing or cheating and ill watch your stream

Kennie
08-18-2020, 02:24 PM
Stream maniac mansion from start to finish without pausing or cheating and ill watch your stream

https://i.imgur.com/PAVdoAT.png

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 03:47 PM
not as bad as a rainbow of 60s, you gay

Kennie
08-18-2020, 04:01 PM
not as bad as a rainbow of 60s, you gayHi Bigsham. Loser.

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Hi Bigsham. Loser.

I'm a high achiever from the icy north. sorry you lost

Kennie
08-18-2020, 04:05 PM
I'm a high achiever from the icy north. sorry you lost

what a homo..

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 04:07 PM
what a homo..

now ur getting there :p

Bigsham
08-18-2020, 04:15 PM

That guy isnt me, no reason to make a new account since galach took over havent been banned, what a great upcoming GM he will be

Kennie
08-18-2020, 04:21 PM

That guy isnt me, no reason to make a new account since galach took over havent been banned, what a great upcoming GM he will be

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 04:27 PM
moo goo gai pan.

is that like.................hm.................

it's from Friends, right? can't place it

Kennie
08-18-2020, 04:29 PM
moo goo gai pan.

is that like.................hm.................

it's from Friends, right? can't place it
It's from a Chinese take out menu.

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 04:31 PM
Yes but it was a cultural feature in the 90s on TV. I think it was the one who sings "Smelly Cat" saying it that was the meme. Calling backup??

kaizersoze
08-18-2020, 04:43 PM
I liked having something to do other than farm platinum to gear alts to level once you hit max level. Luclin brought AAs which were grand. Then LDoN and PoP brought formal instances, where things like ring war are more pseudo instances, which I also liked. Most sane people who paid subscriptions liked not being locked out of content they could get more creative with to make them more challenging just because they couldn't neckbeard in one spot for 17 hours waiting for a pop.

Nuggie
08-18-2020, 04:58 PM
The Al'Kabor Project(TAKP) has up to PoP. If folks liked it more they have the option to play there.

imperiouskitten
08-18-2020, 05:01 PM
The Al'Kabor Project(TAKP) has up to PoP. If folks liked it more they have the option to play there.

is there an implication of era argument authority cattily contained in these weasel words? or were they not weasel words? :)

I posit that boxing and "the facebook effect" (population critical mass) are the reasons why the superior server yet languishes. Also, people with good taste gave up on community EQ after P99 successfully turned it into a proprietary thing.

Bigsham
08-18-2020, 05:32 PM
if you want to play pop era, play fucking aradune idiots

Your guild can instance everything weekly and everything works!

kaizersoze
08-18-2020, 05:38 PM
is there an implication of era argument authority cattily contained in these weasel words? or were they not weasel words? :)

I posit that boxing and "the facebook effect" (population critical mass) are the reasons why the superior server yet languishes. Also, people with good taste gave up on community EQ after P99 successfully turned it into a proprietary thing.

The community aspect is the main reason I play on here. Never really been a fan of boxing or really soloing in general. If I wanted to play by myself and just farm pixels, I'd box my own raids on PEQ and do OOW which was my favorite expansion. There was still open world content to "compete" for (remember in GOD when they had the mobs that dropped armor you could MQ in Qvic that people paid good plat for?) and instanced raids that punished you for coming in without being prepared or making too many mistakes.

The problem with making all content open world and hyper competitive on a subscription based game is if most people will literally never see end game content because its all the timers are kept safeguarded by a handful of neckbeards, they wont keep paying to play. They're the "sheep" of the community, a majority of the players, and the bulk of the people paying to keep the servers up and to make new content to release. It really only works on p99 because its free and nostalgia is strong.

The game changed in a way that it needed to in order to survive.

Trexller
08-18-2020, 06:15 PM
derp

Nuggie
08-18-2020, 07:06 PM
The game changed because no one from the original team(or the second team) was left. That's what I wanted to show by providing the link in the OP. The host of the chat literally said he told the new inexperienced dev team PoP "was about Gods and shit" as he/they left to go work on EQ2. He may have been joking a little, but without a steady hand from an experienced guy how could things stay the same? I don't think they could have even if the new team wanted them to.

douglas1999
08-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Yeah that was a sad quote to hear. It was super interesting to listen to though, even though I quit like 2 months into PoP. A similar interview with a vanilla-velious dev would be so fun to hear. I really want to know like specific details about the tools they used to actually build zones, like making those geometrically intricate paths\roads in kunark. At the time it seemed so cool, like wow they're not just a texture anymore! You can even notice the aesthetic shift in pre-kunark stuff. Like the temple of sol ro kind of looks like a kunark zone. Paineel does too.

Nuggie
08-19-2020, 12:25 AM
I ashamedly don't know the names of the team he was throwing around, but it sounded like he was going to try to get some other devs on the stream in the future. Worth looking at once in a while.

RecondoJoe
08-27-2020, 01:00 AM
To the people saying Velious was bad, I actually felt like it was a brilliant idea, and one that modern MMOs should implement. Advancing your character through gear progression is actually a lot more fun and exciting than grinding levels. I think Blizzard is starting to come to this same conclusion because with their next expac of WoW, leveling is no longer a grind or a significant portion of the game. They're focusing purely on content that players care about.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure EverQuest 2 killed EverQuest. I know myself, and so many of my friends pretty much thought EverQuest 2 would be the same game we already really loved to play, but with better graphics and features. We all pretty much just quit EverQuest for a game that sucked, and then WoW came out. I genuinely wonder if EQ 2 had never been released if EverQuest wouldn't have deteriorated as fast as it did.

Would also love to see Daybreak Games make an new expansion that picks up where Velious left off and ignore all of the other stuff released since then. I would subscribe in a heart beat. I've tried LIVE and it's just too foreign and bot-themed to even be enjoyable.

magnetaress
08-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Thanks4thelink

douglas1999
08-27-2020, 03:45 PM
We all pretty much just quit EverQuest for a game that sucked, and then WoW came out.

EQ2 did mostly blow shit, but in it's defense, the vanilla epic prismatic\darathar quest was pretty god damn cool. I quit after the first expansion came out and tried it again like 7 years later, and it was all "oops your new character is level 60 and you have several fairy mounts to select from and also here is a gigantic menu of things that make no sense please enjoy your stay in our nerdrealm"

A Knight
08-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Pro Instances, no instances, Wow Gameplay, EQ gameplay, I still think one of the most important things of an MMORPG is to feel like you're in a real world. I want to believe the oceans are real and the only way to cross it is a boat.

well not the only way.