PDA

View Full Version : Ranger filling in as tank in a static

MikeXG
08-12-2020, 11:59 AM
So I have a static group with 4 RL friends. Ranger(me), Cleric, SK, Monk, Chanter.
we are 55/56. Our SK just had a new baby and will be MIA for a bit. My ranger is fairly well geared, has off hand epic and some tanky gear to swap in. My question is 2 parts.

1. Granted the ranger won't be able to tank as well as SK, but could the ranger tank easier group content for a 55ish group?

2. I have been looking at gear to help in tanking and was wondering how a Fungi would be. Obviously it would be awesome to have on my ranger, just wondering if wearing it while tanking would be better than wearing something like a phase spider carapace for tanking purposes.

Thanks

Crede
08-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Ranger will tank fine with an enchanter and cleric. Don’t need fungi, just load up on ac.

Pint
08-12-2020, 01:24 PM
You're good to tank till 60, just watch out for ice comets etc. Fungi would benefit you but is completely unnecessary

Izmael
08-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Why not root the mobs and let the monk tank?

Crede
08-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Good call.And Actually just have the ranger do the pulling as well If fd isn’t needed. . Harmony is op outdoors and you don’t really need big splitting with an enc

DMN
08-12-2020, 07:16 PM
You could tank with a druid if you've got a cleric to heal and an enchanter to slow... as far as efficienly, slightly worse than SK but still should be viable for anything you are prolly doing.

kaizersoze
08-12-2020, 07:25 PM
rangers can tank just fine. Theyve got taunt and flamelick to hold agro, so a cleric / chanter worth their salt should do just fine as long as the monk doesn't pull irresponsibly.

Jibartik
08-12-2020, 09:07 PM

This makes me shed a tear in my heart for the chain & plate wearing ranger and the DPS naked monk archetypes.

I wish rangers had mend instead. And stone stance was also stolen from monk and changed to strength of oak. :o

Keebz
08-13-2020, 02:21 AM
Roots do break / resist where as flame lick is like the best aggro spell in the game. I imagine you'd wind up doing both with ranger picking up aggro on root breaks.

Arvan
08-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Yeah for exp groups anyone can tank a slowed mob and you got a cleric to heal before then

kjs86z
08-13-2020, 02:50 PM
You and the monk can take turns tanking / pulling. Literally doesn't matter with enc slows and cleric CH.

Protip: if your enchanter can reliably handle a level 46 mob charm pet, equip said pet with a Swarmcaller (+Tome of the Eternal / Rusty spiked pads / adamantite bands) for aggro/mana-free slows.

Keebz
08-13-2020, 08:23 PM
The ease at which Rangers hold aggro make me suspect having the ranger tank is going to be easier all around, but there's no reason to snap the aggro off the Monk if they have it. You can get some extra value off their mend / regen when the monk is taking licks.

DMN
08-13-2020, 11:32 PM
The ease at which Rangers hold aggro make me suspect having the ranger tank is going to be easier all around, but there's no reason to snap the aggro off the Monk if they have it. You can get some extra value off their mend / regen when the monk is taking licks.

Did you just mis-race my monk?!?

Snaggles
08-14-2020, 11:37 PM
Yep you will be just fine. I’ve duoed cliff giants with my casually equipped pally and ranger (Both 60 vs 58 for the golem). The pally does much better but both are totally doable. Taking that a step down to grind mobs in a small group and it would be easy. In fact, practicing tank dynamics is a good thing. At 60 with Weaponshield you will frequently stepping into that spotlight even for 15 second sessions.

If healer mana is lacking I’d do some root tricks. Otherwise just keep flame licking and enjoy predictable aggro.