PDA

View Full Version : Luclin was a good, fun expansion despite being bad and unfinished

Vdaria
08-09-2020, 09:15 AM
I will die on this hill

zodium
08-09-2020, 09:16 AM
you'll die alone.

Vdaria
08-09-2020, 09:19 AM
you'll die alone.

yeah probably. fun game though

YendorLootmonkey
08-09-2020, 11:25 AM
you'll die alone.

Nope, every ranger will die on this hill with him, desperately clutching for EQ/AM3

HalflingSpergand
08-09-2020, 12:17 PM
luclin was an eq inspired clone for powergamers

Baler
08-09-2020, 12:28 PM
I like luclin and pop, but not on p99.
Over on TAKP they're doing luclin right.
They even have some familiar faces on the staff.

Bigsham
08-09-2020, 01:19 PM
I hated vah shir and alot of luclin zones, but some were amazing

like ssra

beastlords

etc

magnetaress
08-09-2020, 03:42 PM
Starkind agrees with OP.

Jibartik
08-09-2020, 04:02 PM
"Hey I got this idea, a MOON expansion."

"That will fit perfectly with my beast lord class idea!"

"Awesome because I was like, what likes to live without oxygen? Cats."

Christina.
08-09-2020, 04:03 PM
I like luclin and pop, but not on p99.
Over on TAKP they're doing luclin right.
They even have some familiar faces on the staff.

Ya takp decent pop and I remember I played for a few weeks there and few guilds raiding ssra

Baler
08-09-2020, 04:03 PM

oh-oh! and get this.. There are cats on the moon!

Jibartik
08-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Haha I added in another derpy line they must have been circle jerking eachother about about those cats lol

like how did they master beastmenship, on a planet with no beasts? It's so absurd.

Jibartik
08-09-2020, 04:10 PM
That said the box art to luclin is the coolest and if the game looked like that in game but in the style of the first 3 expansions ...and didnt have cats as the playable race and came up with something better than beastlords, I'd totally agree with OP

Swish
08-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Odus kerrans would have been an awesome playable race, or something in their style.

Was it Luclin that bought in easier ways to customize your armor? Naturally all the bards in the game decided fluorescent pink plate armor was the way to go...so you have cat bards in pink plate armor running around. Not quite the vision BMQ and pals had I think.

I think the immersion levels began to drop at that point, it was just some avatar in a game and not a world you felt like you were in.

Then mercs, gingerbread defenders.... okay I'm done :D

Luclin was good for starting the AAs though, have to admit it continued my enjoyment of my main characters without having to roll a 10th alt.

Jibartik
08-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Odus kerrans would have been an awesome playable race, or something in their style.

This exactly, there is so much untapped gold in classic everquest.

When they didn't even link these two races so that they could add depth to the game where it needed it I was more upset than I should have been for the rest of my life.

Edit: Was it Luclin that bought in easier ways to customize your armor? Naturally all the bards in the game decided fluorescent pink plate armor was the way to go...so you have cat bards in pink plate armor running around. Not quite the vision BMQ and pals had I think.

I think the immersion levels began to drop at that point, it was just some avatar in a game and not a world you felt like you were in.

https://i.imgur.com/WrKPhfd.gif

Naethyn
08-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Luclin is the best thing that could happen to p99.

Snortles Chortles
08-09-2020, 09:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WsuiY5R_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

zodium
08-10-2020, 02:52 AM
my hatred for luclin is pure. post ure favorite luclin feature and i will tell you why its actually the worst thing ever, you fool, you imbecile

Vdaria
08-10-2020, 02:59 AM
my hatred for luclin is pure. post ure favorite luclin feature and i will tell you why its actually the worst thing ever, you fool, you imbecile

well the hatred for vex thal and mooncats is reasonable. so what about Ssra temple, that place was "lit"

zodium
08-10-2020, 03:11 AM
ssra was a grey turd that helped introduce the concept of "pissing away time for the sake of pissing away time" to everquest in its most direct form, doing away with the concept of access gating by character power in favor of just straight access gating. also the lore made no sense and all the names were like hgfr'dshs.

Kich867
08-10-2020, 12:38 PM

AA's were kind of nice.

Bigsham
08-10-2020, 09:04 PM
AAs started everquest

before AA there was nothing to do once you were max level other then wait for boring / pointless raids

unfortunately it made it very hard for new players to catch up so when your guild bled good people you got garbage and that took its toll once you got past gates because new players would never put the time in

eventually they made exp faster if you had less then XX amount of AA but it didnt help much

Naethyn
08-10-2020, 09:50 PM
AA's made it so after quitting eq for a bit and coming back, you aren't 100% out of date. A good example is when a wow expansion comes out and your purples are worse than greens. AA's last forever, and they are very class balancing.

Jibartik
08-10-2020, 10:04 PM
Compared to 1-60, how long does it take to get your class's max AA's in Luclin?

At max Luclin AA, without the Luclin expansion would the game become overly simple?

Naethyn
08-10-2020, 10:27 PM
AA = level 55 worth of exp. I think there were around 360~ AA depending on class in Luclin.

radda
08-16-2020, 02:34 PM
currently max'd aa on takproject on my bard.
kiting it took about the same time as if to go from 1-60 no help, first char on project1999
if you aint kiting, you probably wont see max aa.

Christina.
08-16-2020, 02:54 PM
AA's were cool. It made rangers fun

Daloon
08-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Devs here think 2001 content aint classic so it wont happen on P99

Luclin and PoP would be really fun on a populated server.

Izmael
08-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Devs here think 2001 content aint classic so it wont happen on P99

Luclin and PoP would be really fun on a populated server.

It's not just the devs thinking it. They also removed most or all of Luclin+ related-code from their branch of the server source, and it's been done a long time ago (Rogean talks about it on the forums, can google it).

Considering how much added custom code there must be in the P99 branch compared to today's EQEMU master branch, merging them would probably require cosmic amounts of work on the server but probably also on the database and the client. It doesn't sound like something the volunteers who run this place are (or should be) willing to do in the foreseeable future.

So, basically, even if they wanted to add Luclin, they still probably wouldn't do it.

(But thankfully, they hate Luclin)

Bigsham
08-16-2020, 04:45 PM
p99 will have a luclin server i guarantee it, rogean said it himself

devs dont matter, they work for rogean and he makes the calls

Stay tuned for next year

magnetaress
08-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Leveling is really slow on TAKP. Boxing makes up for it some. But I am all for cheating in exp in Morrowind.

I'm too old and frail for the grind.

Bigsham
08-16-2020, 07:42 PM
The grind only existed to slow progression, does not work for emulated 20 year old games unless you have brain damage also unemployed

i tried leveling on blue and made it to 12 before i quit

i made it to 12 on red before i gave up , waited for huge exp boosts and even leveling in oasis on sand giants and those goblins was still not even great exp

choppedandglued
08-17-2020, 12:19 AM

"Awesome because I was like, what likes to live without oxygen? Cats."

bawwahahahhahha

Swish
08-17-2020, 01:10 AM
p99 will have a luclin server i guarantee it, rogean said it himself

Got a quote?

radda
08-17-2020, 12:09 PM